• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

File Size increased?

For those who are interested in the point of this thread: I am no longer interested in CBR. There's a DRASTIC difference between CVBR (what we get from Anystream) and CBR. And it's not what you're expecting.

9 times out of 10, the CVBR is several gigs higher than the CBR for all the movies I checked.

For example: CVBR of movie 1 - 9.35gb. CBR of movie 1 - 6.43gb.
CVBR of movie 2 - 11.48gb. CBR of movie 2 - 7.88gb
And that's pretty much across the board. It's a drastic difference but not the one any of us were hoping for.

I have about 20 movies that I'm waiting to buy on blu-ray (if they ever release them) so I'm always looking for better encodes or masters. Know how many I was able to "upgrade" from CVBR to CBR? 1. 1 single title. There's NO reason for developers to work on this option...unless I'm doing something wrong.

For those (like myself) who have been "dying" for this option, there's really no reason for it.

Last edited:
And, for that 1 single title (JFK - theatrical cut), I'm showing a graph that proves what Redfox 1 has been claiming all along.

JFK.jpg

The peaks are far higher on the VBR version and the average is higher on the CBR. I'm not sure this is something that anyone is going to notice in motion and, if they do, they're probably going to side with the VBR since the allocated bits are going where they're most needed - high motion. If CBR was constant throughout PLUS had those peaks that the VBR has, I'd certainly say there's a reason to argue for these implementations.

Otherwise there's no reason for this argument/request to continue. I'm open to hearing other people's opinion on this but I'm also hoping this might settle this discussion once and for all.

And, remember: this is the ONLY title where the CBR had a higher file size than the VBR. Ironically. for all of those who were arguing AGAINST larger file sizes, CBR might be right up your alley :)

What you are saying is 100% true, CVBR are way better for things coming from film (everything filmed in 16, 35 or more mm), peaks needs to be higher for grain, noise, artefacts etc. BUT the reality is that for new material shot digitally, CVR give a better experience (zero filters included, no offence Redfox1), CBR tends to have lower max bit BUT higher min bit, which is perfect for that kind of material. Would it be better for CVBR at 14 mbps instead of 10 mbps CBR, of course but the reality is that AP gives only low CVBR bitrate for that kinds of stuffs so CBR is by default a better choice/quality.

only my opinion here

Last edited:
the reality is that for new material shot digitally, CVR give a better experience (zero filters included, no offence Redfox1), CBR tends to have lower max bit BUT higher min bit, which is perfect for that kind of material. Would it be better for CVBR at 14 mbps instead of 10 mbps CBR, of course but the reality is that AP gives only low CVBR bitrate for that kinds of stuffs so CBR is by default a better choice/quality.

only my opinion here

Even when the file size is drastically smaller? I think you'll find that your info is incorrect.

There are two main types of encoding that you can choose from constant bitrate (CBR) and variable bitrate (VBR) encoding, CVBR is something that someone made up at another company. ( I think) Maybe they mixed the two together and came up with CVBR
No problem go for it. :)

because they took the video from the CBR mpd and the audio from the VBR mpd
Ah ok, thanks for the explanation.
Well, I get 640 with AS as well and have never seen 782k, but I doubt that I would notice any difference without a high end setup or at least headphones.

Stupidly...they call it CVBR because they took the video from the CBR mpd and the audio from the VBR mpd. It apparently worked at first and you got CBR video and 640k or 782k Audio
NOW....people are complaining that neither version will get the higher Audio most of the time.

I've never gotten 782k. Standard on Amazon is 640 for 5.1 or more.

If CBR was constant throughout PLUS had those peaks that the VBR has, I'd certainly say there's a reason to argue for these implementations.

Like this (CBR is the one on the right):
https://imgbox.com/L47n5lgs
or this:
https://imgbox.com/Wu4lxkor

Amazon also has the HEVC streams which should provide same quality but with 50% less size. But the quality also depends on the person(s) (the settings they use) doing the encoding (regardless of it being vbr, cbr, hevc or whatever). And from what I have understood Amazon has changed their encoding settings multiple times so... (could explain the difference in file sizes now if Amazon happened to change their settings again and all the bigger files are more recent additions)

Like this (CBR is the one on the right):
https://imgbox.com/L47n5lgs
or this:
https://imgbox.com/Wu4lxkor

Amazon also has the HEVC streams which should provide same quality but with 50% less size. But the quality also depends on the person(s) (the settings they use) doing the encoding (regardless of it being vbr, cbr, hevc or whatever). And from what I have understood Amazon has changed their encoding settings multiple times so... (could explain the difference in file sizes now if Amazon happened to change their settings again and all the bigger files are more recent additions)

Yes. That would be more ideal.

And, no. None of these movies that I downloaded are new. And if any of them were/are HEVC but with a smaller size, it still wouldn't matter. They'd essentially still be the same quality. We'd need HEVC with the same bitrate for better efficiency.

Ah ok, thanks for the explanation.
Well, I get 640 with AS as well and have never seen 782k, but I doubt that I would notice any difference without a high end setup or at least headphones.

By design, you should always get the higher audio with VBR on Amazon....again, not always though.

Back