• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

exact backups

Why, oh why?
Ripping to folder is not recommended.
I can only see this being a problem when ripping a 3D disc, having ripped well over 1000 Blu-rays to folder with no issues. I know you've said it's because you lose the disc optimization for the files, but I've never come across a playback issue due to unpacking to folders than back to disc even on heavy seamless branching titles.
Need folders? VCD will do this for you within seconds.
I agree it can
Need an iso from folders? Often impossible.
I don't agree with this at all. You can always make an ISO from folders. The only problem I've ever come across is if you rip a 3D disc to folders then try to pack that back into an ISO it comes out to big to go back on to a disc, but it doesn't stop you from making a playable ISO

I can only see this being a problem when ripping a 3D disc, having ripped well over 1000 Blu-rays to folder with no issues. I know you've said it's because you lose the disc optimization for the files, but I've never come across a playback issue due to unpacking to folders than back to disc even on heavy seamless branching titles.
Just trust me on this. Just because it works for you, doesn't mean it works on every player. Why take the risk?
And don't forget the recent protections, which will artificially blow up the size of folder backups.

I don't agree with this at all. You can always make an ISO from folders. The only problem I've ever come across is if you rip a 3D disc to folders then try to pack that back into an ISO it comes out to big to go back on to a disc, but it doesn't stop you from making a playable ISO
It may be too big for burning. Interleaving information is lost. Sector layout is lost. Again: Why take the risk? Rip to iso. It will always work. Accessing the files inside the iso can be done by a double-click.

Do whatever you want to do. I just don't recommend it.

Last edited:
Just trust me on this. Just because it works for you, doesn't mean it works on every player. Why take the risk?
And don't forget the recent protections, which will artificially blow up the size of folder backups.

It may be too big for burning. Interleaving information is lost. Sector layout is lost. Again: Why take the risk? Rip to iso. It will always work. Accessing the files inside the iso can be done by a double-click.

Do whatever you want to do. I just don't recommend it.

My thoughts as well Rip to ISO is far better end results unless you just want a movie format of it. And if you want menu controls your better going ISO route and burn back with Imgburn or when Slyce gets released use it for BD purpose.

I can only see this being a problem when ripping a 3D disc, having ripped well over 1000 Blu-rays to folder with no issues.

So where are you getting 1000 BD I don't recall seeing that much or did I miss the train somewhere along the line?? Also some of those BD movies are remake of DVD movies so that basically moots the point to get BD unless it was made and created in BD format of which DVD it was originally came as would be just fine.

What is the expectancy for a blu ray disc? I didn't realize these things go bad?

The theoretical life of the disk is irrelevant except as false security. If you want archival quality then you need to spend a lot more. The $3 disk is not that quality and while it may last a long time, it also may not. No guarantees.

I posted a thread about some of my results in the CD/DVD/BD Blanks forum section and it was pretty depressing. Most of the early disks I burned all failed with dye changes over time. I lost most within the first year. That included the Verbatims and also Memorex. For example, I also picked up a 5 pack of 50 GB Panasonic BD-RE and after some 25 burns each, they began to show errors in spite of being rated for hundreds of re-writes.

The good news is that those issues with the early disks seem to have been resolved and I haven't had those kinds of problems lately. I'm currently burning PHILIP R04 SL (Optical Quantum branded) media and CMCMAG DI6 DL media with no dye change failure issues over the last year or two. I have 31 of the Memorex RITEK BR2 media remaining and I spot checked some of them recently and they still look okay so maybe the unstable dyes issue was starting to be resolved by that batch. You may have noted that the Memorex disks aren't made by Memorex but by Ritek, at least the ones I had. You can find this information in ImgBurn Write Files/Folders to Disc section under the Devices tab labeled as MID (Manufacturers ID) or Disc ID.

Last edited:
So where are you getting 1000 BD I don't recall seeing that much or did I miss the train somewhere along the line?? Also some of those BD movies are remake of DVD movies so that basically moots the point to get BD unless it was made and created in BD format of which DVD it was originally came as would be just fine.
I've been buying Blu-rays since 2006, and there are well over 1000 releases so far.
Just because a film was released on DVD doesn't stop them from releasing it in higher quality on Blu-ray. I've had many films that I had on DVD and the Blu-ray is much better quality so your comment is pointless. Just because your happy with the poor quality from DVD doesn't mean everyone else is.

I've had many films that I had on DVD and the Blu-ray is much better quality

As an excellent example is the Blu-ray of the 1954 black & white film Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai which was so sharp I felt like it cut my eyeballs. A good quality film to Blu-ray copy of the movie can yield much better detail in Blu-ray than you can see in DVD.

Admittedly, not all movies get this treatment or can due to deterioration of the original film stock.

It would be better if you posted all of this over at Imgburn, Lightening UK or Cynthia over there would be of more help.

[

ya... that was the first place I posted because this was an Imgburn issue but nobody would even bother to answer me. Days went passed and hardly even any views to my multiple threads, certainly no answers although I noticed others people's threads were getting viewed and answered. It seems as though my thread is getting ignored. I've even seen cynthia and lightning UK responding to others threads but nothing on mine. :-( I feel left out.... Not one response to my first thread and then after I was able to burn the disc but it failed verify I started a new thread because it was a new issue and the only person who responded was Cynthia but she didn't provide any assistance. I've received far more response here than I did there. I even pm'd lightning UK and he hasn't even read my message.

But on a side note, I am surprised to come back and find an arguement about what is the best way to rip the disc. lol. Maybe I will complain to the seller and see if I can get a few free discs since i've got a handful of coasters and maybe I'll try some of the DL media that was mentioned here. I just ripped a new BD to ISO using IMGBURN itself and now I'm about to see how that burns and Ill post back.

Last edited:
On my discs I could see the faint indentations on the underside where the crosshatch pattern of the sleeves they'd used had pressed in to the plastic

ya... that was the first place I posted because this was an Imgburn issue but nobody would even bother to answer me. Days went passed and hardly even any views to my multiple threads, certainly no answers although I noticed others people's threads were getting viewed and answered. It seems as though my thread is getting ignored. I've even seen cynthia and lightning UK responding to others threads but nothing on mine. :-( I feel left out.... Not one response to my first thread and then after I was able to burn the disc but it failed verify I started a new thread because it was a new issue and the only person who responded was Cynthia but she didn't provide any assistance. I've received far more response here than I did there. I even pm'd lightning UK and he hasn't even read my message.

But on a side note, I am surprised to come back and find an arguement about what is the best way to rip the disc. lol. Maybe I will complain to the seller and see if I can get a few free discs since i've got a handful of coasters and maybe I'll try some of the DL media that was mentioned here. I just ripped a new BD to ISO using IMGBURN itself and now I'm about to see how that burns and Ill post back.
That's disappointing to hear that _ and surprising. :confused:
It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.
Will you post a link to on of your threads over at Imgburn, I'll have a look over there in the mean time ?

EDIT: found your post... and copied/pasted the whole lot in your thread. I know they don't like having the whole thing pasted like that, but it will have to do.

For anyone who wants to take a look.

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=21825&p=149184

Last edited:
ya, so ripping and burning with imgburn didnt work either. also the same iso's failed with cyberlink. It must not like the media. All the other discs failed. I contacted the seller asking for a refund and we'll see how that goes. Looks like i'll stick to single layer media until the price comes down on the DL discs. At around $7 a disc here in the US it's just not worth it. I could almost purchase additional copies of my movies for that online. I've bought many blu rays used in great condition on ebay for around that price. SL backups it is.

thanks for all the response guys. I appreciate it.

ya, so ripping and burning with imgburn didnt work either. also the same iso's failed with cyberlink. It must not like the media. All the other discs failed. I contacted the seller asking for a refund and we'll see how that goes. Looks like i'll stick to single layer media until the price comes down on the DL discs. At around $7 a disc here in the US it's just not worth it. I could almost purchase additional copies of my movies for that online. I've bought many blu rays used in great condition on ebay for around that price. SL backups it is.

thanks for all the response guys. I appreciate it.
Could you post the link from eBay where you got those specific DL Blu-rays ?
I am curios to see if I could get them to work.

Never mind _ found the link earlier in the thread...

Last edited:
Last edited:
To late, already placed the order, even if they don't work, it's only 30 bucks. 8)

Where do you see this media code though ? Or is it in Japanese on the box ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Verbatim...t=US_CD_DVD_Blu_ray_Discs&hash=item46083d0ab7

the media code displays in imgburn once the disc is inserted and yes I researched it as well to find out it is a rebranded Panasonic disc apparently.
I told the seller another reason why I am expecting a refund. I don't expect to get a panasonic disc when I am told its verbatim. Weird this is the disc is all white and says verbatim on the front. :-/ I noticed that some of them actually had small pin holes in them and fingerprints all over them (although they were all wiped clean before burning). I don't understand the reasoning behind removing them from the jewel casing. Are they really in short supply of jewel casing in Japan? My only though is they would be reselling the cases but really? I won't be buying unpackaged discs again that's for sure.

Last edited:
IMGburn reports the media id, google does the rest. The first 5 links. a few even report the media code being used by Victor JVC. So it's definitely not a real verbatim disc.

the media code displays in imgburn once the disc is inserted and yes I researched it as well to find out it is a rebranded Panasonic disc apparently.
I told the seller another reason why I am expecting a refund. I don't expect to get a panasonic disc when I am told its verbatim. Weird this is the disc is all white and says verbatim on the front. :-/ I noticed that some of them actually had small pin holes in them and fingerprints all over them (although they were all wiped clean before burning). I don't understand the reasoning behind removing them from the jewel casing. Are they really in short supply of jewel casing in Japan? My only though is they would be reselling the cases but really? I won't be buying unpackaged discs again that's for sure.
It will be interesting to see how far you will have to go if the seller won't return you money. I'm thinking you'll have to take screen shots to prove to PayPal that the item is not as described, showing in fact the discs are Panasonic and not Verbatim.

tell em to google the media code. that's proof enough if ya find half a dozen links saying the media code is anything BUT verbatim

It will be interesting to see how far you will have to go if the seller won't return you money. I'm thinking you'll have to take screen shots to prove to PayPal that the item is not as described, showing in fact the discs are Panasonic and not Verbatim.

I'm not sure if I will need to go that far but maybe... He may just refund me since he already knows they arent verbatim discs and may not want to deal with the hassle. I'm sure he sells plenty of these. I'll be sure to post back once I find something out. I filed a refund request but he has his status as away until aug 12th. Thats actually the day he has been given to respond so. I'll post any status updates.

well... seems like he's more of an A hole than I thought. He replied agreeing to a refund if the discs are returned. I guess he wants to verify they failed. I argued it would cost more in shipping than they are worth but to no avail. I don't know any other way to contact paypal on this matter. I responded saying they are fake discs and shipping them back is unfair because of the shipping costs but he just responded back with the same message agreeing to a refund after return. Luckily, I can ship them on my work fedex account otherwise im not sure it would be worth it to return them. We ship to china all the time. We have like an 80% fedex discount. Ill post back here to let everyone know how much it cost to get an idea if anyone runs across this thread in the future thinking about purchasing these discs.

So it's definitely not a real verbatim disc.
The times they are a-changin ;)
http://club.myce.com/f33/verbatim-stopped-manufacturing-bluray-media-see-new-mid-codes-332766/
http://club.myce.com/f33/victor-jvc...sc-real-panasonic-quality-332340/#post2689953

@boredombulker
Just in case you haven't yet clicked on my two links: those blanks are not fake!

I hope you always set manually to 4x speed, cause in your first log it says:
I 09:41:09 Write Speed: MAX
I 10:22:19 Average Write Rate: 10,283 KiB/s (2.3x) - Maximum Write Rate: 35,862 KiB/s (8.2x)
Would you please provide an ImgBurn log from after the crossflash ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back