• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

End is Near for DVD/BD Drives?

I have over 2500 DVD's and BD movies and tv series all converted on stored on multiple drives in case I have a drive go down. I own all the discs I have converted so I get it but eventually they will go away I think but I still have my digital copies.

unfortunately, this BLURAY mechanism is as expensive here as it is here, so importing it from a foreign country is not worth it because it will cost the same price for the product

In total I must have combined ~ 350 DVDs and BDs. This month I'm hoping to work with a local IT service company decide on a multiple drive NAS solution for backing up most of them to folders of uncompressed MKV files, save for the less precious titles on BD, as that format is more physically robust than DVD.

What I don't understand is if DVD and BD drives are so hard to get in Czech Republic and elsewhere, shouldn't there by now be a stronger effort to create a drive repair industry-and a sister industry that provides replacements for most of frequently failure prone parts of the most popular and/or higher end DVD/BD brand/model drives?

Expanding such enterprises offers so many benefits: Users get to keep their best performing drives for much longer than their normal life span; creating and sustaining numerous jobs in parts manufacturing, sales and distribution; the technical repair of the drives; far less electronics waste to dispose of.

In total I must have combined ~ 350 DVDs and BDs. This month I'm hoping to work with a local IT service company decide on a multiple drive NAS solution for backing up most of them to folders of uncompressed MKV files, save for the less precious titles on BD, as that format is more physically robust than DVD.

What I don't understand is if DVD and BD drives are so hard to get in Czech Republic and elsewhere, shouldn't there by now be a stronger effort to create a drive repair industry-and a sister industry that provides replacements for most of frequently failure prone parts of the most popular and/or higher end DVD/BD brand/model drives?

Expanding such enterprises offers so many benefits: Users get to keep their best performing drives for much longer than their normal life span; creating and sustaining numerous jobs in parts manufacturing, sales and distribution; the technical repair of the drives; far less electronics waste to dispose of.
I agree with you, @tyner in theory, but in fact, any industry is only interested in two things: Profit and maximizing profit.

With ordinary people now used to streaming, the urge to own, much less buy a Blu-ray/DVD has dropped precipitously, along with the desire to own a Blu-ray/DVD drive. Case in point, you can now purchase an Xbox or a PlayStation that doesn't even have a Blu-ray/DVD drive. That would've been inconceivable a few years ago, but it is becoming commonplace today.

In time, having a Blu-ray/DVD drive will be like having a record player, and even though they are making a comeback of sorts, they'll never be as popular as they were from the very beginning of the record era to about the start of the CD (Compact Disc) era.

it's not that it's hard to find a DVD/Bluray drive, it's more about the fact that there are one or two manufacturers here that make them, more precisely what they export to us, before there were many more of them among the leading ones, SAMSUNG has stopped making them, luckily they can be found only used pieces, I'm lucky that my grandmother has an unused piece in her old PC, a Samsung DVD drive, so I'll take it over, but how long will it last is the question, now I only have LG drives at home for ripping I am currently still using my old Samsung SH-224 DB LG drives I have stored for the future I am worried about reading double-layer discs I still have a couple of Asus BD drives but I have had extremely bad experiences with them since the DVD days

Last edited:
There's no doubt that streaming is rapidly eclipsing optical media, at least for movies and TV entertainment. That's true even among those like us who are passionate about maintaining our own collections on disc and/or ripped and stored offline and/or online. And we also do this of course because content providers can delete specific titles whenever they please, if they even ever offered them at all.

It's equally unfortunate that probably the best kind of offline storage technology is unaffordable to most. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archival_Disc

https://pro.sony/ue_US/technology/optical-disc-archive And the availability of even that format may be questionable.
https://pro.sony/ue_US/products/stand-alone-drives?discontinued=true

However, I wouldn't yet count on the streaming industry making BD storage obsolete or even unaffordable. https://www.whathifi.com/news/is-bl...al-disc-could-be-the-future-of-physical-media

Yes, it's not cheap and streaming is indeed forcing optical storage into becoming niche technology, and thus driving up the cost for us to pursue and maintain. https://foliophotonics.com/

So, unless and until the 1TB BD disc format becomes affordable we are stuck with HDDs, SSDs and/or clouds.

But as for continued availability of BD drives, might these be available to Czech Republic? https://www.kanguru.com/pages/optical-drives

Email them and find out!

It's also important to keep in mind that the Magnetar 800 is probably now the replacement of choice for Oppo, Pioneer and Marantz BD players.
https://magnetar-audio.com/bluray-player-udp-800/
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/br...and-solid-build.3253694/page-10#post-62685849
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=21114652
https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews...magnetar-udp800-universal-disc-player-review/

And like many Chinese brands, Magnetar are likely to respond eagerly to consumer feedback for new product requests. Thus, I would strongly recommend letting them know of the demand for BD drives in your region. info@magnetar-audio.com

Forget about archiving on disc. Due to declining markets now the best disc manufacturing factories in Japan have closed down and have transferred their equipment to lower cost countries. And that shows. Quality of these discs is inferior. Look here post #8:

There's no doubt that streaming is rapidly eclipsing optical media, at least for movies and TV entertainment. That's true even among those like us who are passionate about maintaining our own collections on disc and/or ripped and stored offline and/or online. And we also do this of course because content providers can delete specific titles whenever they please, if they even ever offered them at all.

It's equally unfortunate that probably the best kind of offline storage technology is unaffordable to most. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archival_Disc

https://pro.sony/ue_US/technology/optical-disc-archive And the availability of even that format may be questionable.
https://pro.sony/ue_US/products/stand-alone-drives?discontinued=true

However, I wouldn't yet count on the streaming industry making BD storage obsolete or even unaffordable. https://www.whathifi.com/news/is-bl...al-disc-could-be-the-future-of-physical-media

Yes, it's not cheap and streaming is indeed forcing optical storage into becoming niche technology, and thus driving up the cost for us to pursue and maintain. https://foliophotonics.com/

So, unless and until the 1TB BD disc format becomes affordable we are stuck with HDDs, SSDs and/or clouds.

But as for continued availability of BD drives, might these be available to Czech Republic? https://www.kanguru.com/pages/optical-drives

Email them and find out!

It's also important to keep in mind that the Magnetar 800 is probably now the replacement of choice for Oppo, Pioneer and Marantz BD players.
https://magnetar-audio.com/bluray-player-udp-800/
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/br...and-solid-build.3253694/page-10#post-62685849
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=21114652
https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews...magnetar-udp800-universal-disc-player-review/

And like many Chinese brands, Magnetar are likely to respond eagerly to consumer feedback for new product requests. Thus, I would strongly recommend letting them know of the demand for BD drives in your region. info@magnetar-audio.com
so I looked at it, it's a great device, the only problem I see there is the small data capacity of the cartridges, the fact that it's expensive, I'm switching because it's clear that it won't be cheap, if they went there with a 20 TB cartridge, it would be great, I have a very extensive DVD collection, I can't imagine what it would be like to have everything on BD/UHD BD, the situation would be even worse :D it wouldn't fit anywhere

For everyone's information.

Original CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays (BD), and Ultra HD discs can be affected by various environmental factors, including temperature, humidity, and even exposure to light.

Here's how these factors can impact the lifespan and functionality of these discs:

Temperature:

Excessive heat can cause the disc to warp, rendering it unplayable. It's advisable to store discs in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight or heat sources.

Humidity:
Excessive moisture can degrade the materials in the disc, particularly the label side, which is more susceptible to damage. High humidity can lead to mould growth and oxidation of the disc's reflective layer, leading to data loss.

Light:
Prolonged exposure to sunlight or intense UV light can cause the disc's materials to degrade. The UV rays can harm the polycarbonate layer and affect the dye layer in recordable CDs and DVDs.

Physical handling:
Scratches, fingerprints, and dust can harm the disc's readability. Always handle the disc by the edges and store it in its protective case when not used.

Chemical exposure:
Certain chemicals, including volatile organic compounds (VOCs) often found in markers, stickers, and some types of plastic, can react with the disc's material and cause degradation.

How can you preserve your CDs/DVDs/BDs/UHDs?

Dry cabinet:

This is an effective solution, especially in high-humidity regions. A dry cabinet maintains a constant, low-humidity environment ideal for storing sensitive equipment and media. Photographers widely use it for camera gear, which can also be great for your disc collection.

Desiccants:
Silica gel packets commonly absorb moisture in various environments. Placing some of these in the cabinet or drawer where you store your discs can help maintain a dry environment. Please ensure these packets are replaced periodically or dried out (some can be reactivated by heating) to maintain their efficacy.

Store vertically:
Discs should be stored vertically, like books on a shelf, to prevent warping.

Avoid direct sunlight:
Always store your discs away from windows or other sources of direct sunlight.

Handle with care:
Always handle discs by their edges, and make sure your hands are clean. Return discs to their cases or protective sleeves when not in use.

Regularly check & clean:
You can periodically look over your discs for signs of mould, oxidation, or other degradation. Clean them gently with a soft, lint-free cloth and, if necessary, a mild solution (90% isopropyl alcohol can be effective).

Backup: Remember, nothing lasts forever. If you have critical data or memories stored on these discs, consider making digital backups and storing them on multiple mediums, including cloud storage.

In conclusion, discs are relatively robust but can degrade over time due to environmental factors.
With proper care and storage, you can extend their lifespan and maintain their functionality.

For everyone's information.

Original CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays (BD), and Ultra HD discs can be affected by various environmental factors, including temperature, humidity, and even exposure to light.

Here's how these factors can impact the lifespan and functionality of these discs:

Temperature:

Excessive heat can cause the disc to warp, rendering it unplayable. It's advisable to store discs in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight or heat sources.

Humidity:
Excessive moisture can degrade the materials in the disc, particularly the label side, which is more susceptible to damage. High humidity can lead to mould growth and oxidation of the disc's reflective layer, leading to data loss.

Light:
Prolonged exposure to sunlight or intense UV light can cause the disc's materials to degrade. The UV rays can harm the polycarbonate layer and affect the dye layer in recordable CDs and DVDs.

Physical handling:
Scratches, fingerprints, and dust can harm the disc's readability. Always handle the disc by the edges and store it in its protective case when not used.

Chemical exposure:
Certain chemicals, including volatile organic compounds (VOCs) often found in markers, stickers, and some types of plastic, can react with the disc's material and cause degradation.

How can you preserve your CDs/DVDs/BDs/UHDs?

Dry cabinet:

This is an effective solution, especially in high-humidity regions. A dry cabinet maintains a constant, low-humidity environment ideal for storing sensitive equipment and media. Photographers widely use it for camera gear, which can also be great for your disc collection.

Desiccants:
Silica gel packets commonly absorb moisture in various environments. Placing some of these in the cabinet or drawer where you store your discs can help maintain a dry environment. Please ensure these packets are replaced periodically or dried out (some can be reactivated by heating) to maintain their efficacy.

Store vertically:
Discs should be stored vertically, like books on a shelf, to prevent warping.

Avoid direct sunlight:
Always store your discs away from windows or other sources of direct sunlight.

Handle with care:
Always handle discs by their edges, and make sure your hands are clean. Return discs to their cases or protective sleeves when not in use.

Regularly check & clean:
You can periodically look over your discs for signs of mould, oxidation, or other degradation. Clean them gently with a soft, lint-free cloth and, if necessary, a mild solution (90% isopropyl alcohol can be effective).

Backup: Remember, nothing lasts forever. If you have critical data or memories stored on these discs, consider making digital backups and storing them on multiple mediums, including cloud storage.

In conclusion, discs are relatively robust but can degrade over time due to environmental factors.
With proper care and storage, you can extend their lifespan and maintain their functionality.
well written, for me the most important backup is if you really care about the data, no matter what kind, those archive units on cartridges look great, although it is an expensive solution and there is a relatively small capacity, but I think that in terms of time it will last 50-100 years as it is but you can back up for life for anything, but then you need to make those backups quite often

well written, for me the most important backup is if you really care about the data, no matter what kind, those archive units on cartridges look great, although it is an expensive solution and there is a relatively small capacity, but I think that in terms of time it will last 50-100 years as it is but you can back up for life for anything, but then you need to make those backups quite often

Suppose you are talking about tape backup.
Tape backup is a tried-and-true data storage method that has been used for many decades.
It's prevalent among businesses for long-term archival and disaster recovery purposes. It seems unusual for private users because most consumers today rely on hard drives, SSDs, or cloud storage. However, tapes do offer certain advantages.

Pros of Tape Backup:
  1. Longevity: High-quality tapes can last 30 years or more if stored under the right conditions.
  2. High Capacity: Modern tape cartridges can store multiple terabytes of data, making them suitable for comprehensive backups.
  3. Cost-effective for Bulk Storage: Per gigabyte, tapes can be more cost-effective than other storage solutions, especially for large data sets.
  4. Portability: Tapes are compact and relatively robust, making them easy to transport or store offsite for disaster recovery.
  5. Low energy consumption: Unlike spinning hard drives, tapes don't require power to retain data, so they're energy-efficient for long-term storage.

Cons of Tape Backup:
  1. Initial Cost: The upfront cost for a tape drive can be significant, even if the individual tapes are relatively cheap.
  2. Sequential Access: Tapes are sequential access devices, meaning to get to a specific piece of data, you often have to read through the data that comes before it. This makes random data retrieval slow compared to random-access devices like hard drives and SSDs.
  3. Maintenance: Tapes and tape drives require maintenance. For instance, you might need to clean the tape drive regularly with special cleaning cartridges.
  4. Compatibility: As technology evolves, older tape formats can become obsolete. If you need to read old tapes, you might need help finding compatible drives in the future.
  5. Manual Management: Unless you invest in an automated tape library (which is expensive), managing backups and restores can be more hands-on than other solutions.

Recommendations for Private Users:
  1. Drive Selection: The LTO (Linear Tape-Open) standard is the most common in the industry. Consider older generations (like LTO-4 or LTO-5) for personal use, as they offer a good balance between cost and capacity.
  2. Software: You'll need backup software compatible with your tape drive. Many options exist, ranging from free, open-source solutions to commercial ones.
  3. Storage: Store tapes in a cool, dry place. This will maximise their lifespan. Please look for a fireproof safe for additional protection.
  4. Regular Testing: Periodically test your backups by restoring some files to ensure the data is readable.
  5. Rotation Strategy: Use multiple tapes and rotate them. This ensures that if one tape fails, not all is lost.

Conclusion:
For private users, tape backup can be overkill unless you have a large amount of data you want to keep archived for a long time. The initial setup cost and maintenance can be daunting. However, if you're looking for a long-term archival solution and are willing to put in the effort, tapes can be quite effective. Always keep multiple backups and periodically test them to ensure data integrity.

As for Longevity and storage under the right conditions, please read below:

Storing tapes under proper conditions is vital to ensuring their longevity and the integrity of the data they hold.
Here are some recommended conditions for the long-term storage of magnetic tape:
  1. Temperature: The ideal temperature for tape storage is between 62°F to 68°F (16°C to 20°C). Constant and extreme cold or hot temperatures can cause tapes to degrade faster.
  2. Humidity: Maintain a relative humidity of 35% to 45%. Humidity plays a crucial role because low and high humidity can damage tapes. Low humidity may cause the tape to become brittle, while high humidity can result in mould growth and the layers of the tape sticking together.
  3. Avoid Rapid Temperature/Humidity Fluctuations: Rapid changes can cause the tape to expand and contract, leading to distortion and degradation.
  4. Away from Magnetic Fields: Magnetic fields can erase or corrupt the data on magnetic tapes. Keep tapes away from magnets, equipment that generates strong electromagnetic fields, and devices like speakers.
  5. Store Tapes Vertically: Tapes should be stored on their edge (similar to keeping books on a bookshelf). Storing tapes flat can cause them to deform over time.
  6. Keep in Cases: Store tapes in their original cases or in cases designed for tape storage to protect them from dust, contaminants, and physical damage.
  7. Clean Environment: A clean environment free from dust and airborne particles is ideal for tape storage. Particles can enter the tape mechanism, causing wear and potential data loss during reading or writing.
  8. Away from Light: Store tapes away from direct sunlight and UV light sources. Over time, prolonged light exposure can degrade the plastic and other materials of the tape.
  9. Avoid Contaminants: Store tapes away from smoke, pollutants, and any corrosive atmospheres, as these can degrade the tape material.
  10. Regular Inspection: It's a good idea to periodically inspect stored tapes for any signs of mould, warping, or other degradation. For very long-term storage, consider rewinding tapes occasionally to prevent them from sticking.
  11. Avoid Stacking: Don't stack tapes on top of each other without their protective cases. This can exert pressure on the tapes at the bottom and potentially deform them.
When considering the optimal storage environment for your tapes, it's also helpful to know their expected lifespan.
For instance, the commonly used LTO (Linear Tape-Open) tapes, under optimal storage conditions, have an estimated lifespan of 15-30 years.

If the archival period is expected to exceed the medium's lifespan, consider strategies such as data migration to new media at regular intervals to ensure the longevity and integrity of the stored information.

Suppose you are talking about tape backup.
Tape backup is a tried-and-true data storage method that has been used for many decades.
It's prevalent among businesses for long-term archival and disaster recovery purposes. It seems unusual for private users because most consumers today rely on hard drives, SSDs, or cloud storage. However, tapes do offer certain advantages.

Pros of Tape Backup:
  1. Longevity: High-quality tapes can last 30 years or more if stored under the right conditions.
  2. High Capacity: Modern tape cartridges can store multiple terabytes of data, making them suitable for comprehensive backups.
  3. Cost-effective for Bulk Storage: Per gigabyte, tapes can be more cost-effective than other storage solutions, especially for large data sets.
  4. Portability: Tapes are compact and relatively robust, making them easy to transport or store offsite for disaster recovery.
  5. Low energy consumption: Unlike spinning hard drives, tapes don't require power to retain data, so they're energy-efficient for long-term storage.

Cons of Tape Backup:
  1. Initial Cost: The upfront cost for a tape drive can be significant, even if the individual tapes are relatively cheap.
  2. Sequential Access: Tapes are sequential access devices, meaning to get to a specific piece of data, you often have to read through the data that comes before it. This makes random data retrieval slow compared to random-access devices like hard drives and SSDs.
  3. Maintenance: Tapes and tape drives require maintenance. For instance, you might need to clean the tape drive regularly with special cleaning cartridges.
  4. Compatibility: As technology evolves, older tape formats can become obsolete. If you need to read old tapes, you might need help finding compatible drives in the future.
  5. Manual Management: Unless you invest in an automated tape library (which is expensive), managing backups and restores can be more hands-on than other solutions.

Recommendations for Private Users:
  1. Drive Selection: The LTO (Linear Tape-Open) standard is the most common in the industry. Consider older generations (like LTO-4 or LTO-5) for personal use, as they offer a good balance between cost and capacity.
  2. Software: You'll need backup software compatible with your tape drive. Many options exist, ranging from free, open-source solutions to commercial ones.
  3. Storage: Store tapes in a cool, dry place. This will maximise their lifespan. Please look for a fireproof safe for additional protection.
  4. Regular Testing: Periodically test your backups by restoring some files to ensure the data is readable.
  5. Rotation Strategy: Use multiple tapes and rotate them. This ensures that if one tape fails, not all is lost.

Conclusion:
For private users, tape backup can be overkill unless you have a large amount of data you want to keep archived for a long time. The initial setup cost and maintenance can be daunting. However, if you're looking for a long-term archival solution and are willing to put in the effort, tapes can be quite effective. Always keep multiple backups and periodically test them to ensure data integrity.

As for Longevity and storage under the right conditions, please read below:

Storing tapes under proper conditions is vital to ensuring their longevity and the integrity of the data they hold.
Here are some recommended conditions for the long-term storage of magnetic tape:
  1. Temperature: The ideal temperature for tape storage is between 62°F to 68°F (16°C to 20°C). Constant and extreme cold or hot temperatures can cause tapes to degrade faster.
  2. Humidity: Maintain a relative humidity of 35% to 45%. Humidity plays a crucial role because low and high humidity can damage tapes. Low humidity may cause the tape to become brittle, while high humidity can result in mould growth and the layers of the tape sticking together.
  3. Avoid Rapid Temperature/Humidity Fluctuations: Rapid changes can cause the tape to expand and contract, leading to distortion and degradation.
  4. Away from Magnetic Fields: Magnetic fields can erase or corrupt the data on magnetic tapes. Keep tapes away from magnets, equipment that generates strong electromagnetic fields, and devices like speakers.
  5. Store Tapes Vertically: Tapes should be stored on their edge (similar to keeping books on a bookshelf). Storing tapes flat can cause them to deform over time.
  6. Keep in Cases: Store tapes in their original cases or in cases designed for tape storage to protect them from dust, contaminants, and physical damage.
  7. Clean Environment: A clean environment free from dust and airborne particles is ideal for tape storage. Particles can enter the tape mechanism, causing wear and potential data loss during reading or writing.
  8. Away from Light: Store tapes away from direct sunlight and UV light sources. Over time, prolonged light exposure can degrade the plastic and other materials of the tape.
  9. Avoid Contaminants: Store tapes away from smoke, pollutants, and any corrosive atmospheres, as these can degrade the tape material.
  10. Regular Inspection: It's a good idea to periodically inspect stored tapes for any signs of mould, warping, or other degradation. For very long-term storage, consider rewinding tapes occasionally to prevent them from sticking.
  11. Avoid Stacking: Don't stack tapes on top of each other without their protective cases. This can exert pressure on the tapes at the bottom and potentially deform them.
When considering the optimal storage environment for your tapes, it's also helpful to know their expected lifespan.
For instance, the commonly used LTO (Linear Tape-Open) tapes, under optimal storage conditions, have an estimated lifespan of 15-30 years.

If the archival period is expected to exceed the medium's lifespan, consider strategies such as data migration to new media at regular intervals to ensure the longevity and integrity of the stored information.
@tectpro, every time whenever you talk about something interesting and then you bring up new information, I end up learning a lot more than what I did beforehand.

With you, I almost feel like that I'm school with a very good teacher.

Thanks.

:thankyou:

Back on topic though, with a question: Has everyone in this discussion have a way to play/backup their media such as a Blu-ray burner drive?

Has everyone in this discussion have a way to play/backup their media such as a Blu-ray burner drive?
I have a Blu-ray burner and 40 -some blank discs. I have only burned 1 disc, mostly for proof of concept.

I use AnyDVD HD to rip discs to ISO. I can play them over the network on either a hacked Oppo BD player or a Dune HD player.

Save on HDD / SSD. Have a NAS with Raid3. Have multiple copies on multiple drives in multiple locations.

I have a "friend backup" / NAS / multiple locations. 2 friends have all the files I have. In any case either one can rely on 2 other file locations if a HDD or SSD dies.

Just curious about collection sizes, of those here up for sharing. Currently, total number of my movies are ~ 180 discs, of which ~ 33% are BDs. For TV episodes, it's ~ also ~ 180 discs, though ~ 18% are BDs.

For most of my movies, I thought that saving them as ISO files to mirrored pairs of 3.5" 6TB NAS drives would be best.

And for most DVDs with TV episodes (which unlike movies usually don't include great interviews, commentaries or isolated music scores) saving select episodes to uncompressed MKV files (or folders with multiple MKVs) would be best. Yes?

Question: Given that a DVD storage capacity is ~ 8.5 GB, if a DVD has 5 TV episodes and you save the whole disc as an ISO, and then save all 5 episodes to 5 MKVs, how much difference in size between the one ISO and the total of 5 MKVs?

Just curious about collection sizes, of those here up for sharing. Currently, total number of my movies are ~ 180 discs, of which ~ 33% are BDs. For TV episodes, it's ~ also ~ 180 discs, though ~ 18% are BDs.

For most of my movies, I thought that saving them as ISO files to mirrored pairs of 3.5" 6TB NAS drives would be best.

And for most DVDs with TV episodes (which unlike movies usually don't include great interviews, commentaries or isolated music scores) saving select episodes to uncompressed MKV files (or folders with multiple MKVs) would be best. Yes?

Question: Given that a DVD storage capacity is ~ 8.5 GB, if a DVD has 5 TV episodes and you save the whole disc as an ISO, and then save all 5 episodes to 5 MKVs, how much difference in size between the one ISO and the total of 5 MKVs?
The content distribution on DVDs can vary widely. When you save a DVD as an ISO, it captures everything — from the main content to menus, extras, and bonus features. If a DVD is densely packed with extras and other bonus features, the space these elements take can be significant.

On the other hand, if you're extracting only the main content (like TV episodes) as MKV files, you're omitting the extras and menus. This means the combined size of these MKVs could be notably less than the complete ISO, depending on how much additional content the original DVD had.

The size difference between saving the entire DVD as an ISO and extracting specific content as MKV files will vary from one DVD to another based on its unique content distribution.

The size difference between saving the entire DVD as an ISO and extracting specific content as MKV files will vary from one DVD to another based on its unique content distribution.
Thanks for that. But the other question is BD drive wear from ripping a DVD containing 5 TV episodes to an ISO vs. to 5 separate MKV files. Which way will likely cause the least wear, if at all substantial?

Back