• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

End is Near for DVD/BD Drives?

At least Sony blu-ray players do have USB inputs. I rip and copy movie-only to a HDD or USB stick, and the deck plays the blu-ray stream without any additional software.

Even Cinavia-protected content plays right through.

You don't understand. All players need a Bluray / UHD licence and this requires that they obey their rules. The most important rule is that no decrypted video is accessible in any way. The video stream via HDMI requires HDCP which is then the last encryption in the chain disc - player - TV/AVR. Violation results in revocation of their blu ray licence.
Okay, I got it. But does a hardware brand need a BD license to make a 2K BD burner drive? If so, when might they eventually not need a license? In any case, am I correct in that at least in the US you are legally entitled to make one backup copy of anything on a BD? If yes, then even if the major BD drive brands stop making them shouldn't any other brand be allowed to make them?

If yes, and since USB is open source, at least those bums can't stop us from buying BD burner drives to play movies on and to make an optical disc copy of things like limited lifespan DVD-R movies?

And as long as there are enough of us with large optical disc movie collections the demand for the drives should likely remain, even if volume of steaming service sales continues rising.

But does a hardware brand need a BD license to make a 2K BD burner drive?
Uhm, so you want a drive that can write to disk, but cannot read/play what is has written ... I find that hard to accomplish.

Uhm, so you want a drive that can write to disk, but cannot read/play what is has written ... I find that hard to accomplish.
I only thought that all or most of those BD Assn. licensing rules applied only to standalone BD players. But if not, thank goodness there's still Redfox and Clone DVD/BD. My only other concern is that if the Big Hollywood/Wall Street investors driving the streaming industry move to phase out standalone BD players AND movies on optical media, which seems to be happening with Marantz, Denon, Samsung, Arcam and others closing their BD player lines-and Sony's DADC plant and European distro arms closing-could that leave indy drive brands free to make BD burner drives, as there would be little point for continued BD drive licensing.

Last edited:
I only thought that all or most of those BD Assn. licensing rules applied only to standalone BD players. But if not, thank goodness there's still Redfox and Clone DVD/BD. My only other concern is that if the Big Hollywood/Wall Street investors driving the streaming industry move to phase out standalone BD players
AND movies on optical media, which seems to be happening with Marantz, Denon, Samsung, Arcam and others closing their BD player lines-and Sony's DADC plant and European distro arms closing-can indy drive brands make BD burner drives with or without a still extant BD license.
No. Again. You have no idea. Do your Google research. Players need a licence and it can be revoked. And you mix up burners and players. Keep it straight. Hardware players NEED a licence. There are software players that can circumvent the requirements but those are not official players and need the help of software like AnyDVD, Makemkv etc. Software that cracks what is usually required.

By "players" I didn't mean software players, like JRiver and VLC, I meant hardwired standalone BD players like my Pioneer LX500. My biggest concern are the continued availability of BD burners, like those made by LG, ASUS and also Pioneer. That's the hardware which hopefully is under less stricter licensing, since it has no direct direct HDMI I/O or USB input. It's essential for content collectors on optical media that these drives continue, at least until they can backup most of their prized content to multiple SSDs, HDDs, digital tape and/or other reliable media. Hopefully, BD licensing won't jeopardize that even if or when standalone BD players are phased out, and my Oppo and Pioneer players-and yours too-become bricked for lack of critical replacement parts. At that point, our internal and/or external BD drives and JRiver like software is all we will have left to play our content and/or back them up to other storage and play devices.

Last edited:
But what's also helping to kill the optical content storage format is Redfox's AnyStreaming apps, since it entices users to begin and remain subscribed to streaming services. Instead, your local public library (which your rent or other housing taxes are pay for) may have a good sized DVD/BD collection. And you no doubt can search their entire collection online.

AND be sure to take time to periodically check out places like https://mubi.com/films?filterShowing=false , https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/c/movies/movie-reviews/ , https://www.filmnoirfoundation.org/resources.html , https://www.bfi.org.uk/sight-and-sound/greatest-films-all-time and lots of other places to find countless old and new titles.

My library's collection size is quite respectable, though it has way too many accursed "action" movies for my liking. But they will buy almost any BD that I request if it's not owned by any of the dozens of regional libraries who my library can "interloan" from for me via https://lilink.org/

So, streaming is hardly the only way to find and view practically any film you want, and then of course make a copy of the DVD or BD for your own collection! And the longer public libraries maintain sizable and growing DVD/BD collections the longer will there be a demand for all manner of optical disc hardware.

So do your part to keep it that way!

Last edited:
But what's also helping to kill the optical content storage format is Redfox's AnyStreaming apps, since it entices users to begin and remain subscribed to streaming services. Instead, your local public library (which your rent or other housing taxes are pay for) may have a good sized DVD/BD collection. And you no doubt can search their entire collection online.

AND be sure to take time to periodically check out places like https://mubi.com/films?filterShowing=false , https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/c/movies/movie-reviews/ , https://www.filmnoirfoundation.org/resources.html , https://www.bfi.org.uk/sight-and-sound/greatest-films-all-time and lots of other places to find countless old and new titles.

My library's collection size is quite respectable, though it has way too many accursed "action" movies for my liking. But they will buy almost any BD that I request if it's not owned by any of the dozens of regional libraries who my library can "interloan" from for me via https://lilink.org/

So, streaming is hardly the only way to find and view practically any film you want, and then of course make a copy of the DVD or BD for your own collection!
I have to stand up for the REDFOX team here, the fact that ANYSTREAM was created was, in my opinion, because the developers had no other option, unfortunately there is a minority of us who still want to own optical carriers REDFOX is intended for the mass of customers from all over the world and unfortunately with products that only work with physical carriers wouldn't succeed today on such a scale

So, streaming is hardly the only way to find and view practically any film you want, and then of course make a copy of the DVD or BD for your own collection!
unfortunately many people around the world complain we have no place to put physical media at home they just take up space and people scream with joy streaming services make our lives easier and the wolves of Walstreet and various people like Klaus Schwab and other stupid creatures abuse it for the money they get from these services all the time it spins from the sale of physical carriers, there is little money because a person buys them once and always has them with him if he does not sell or donate them, of course he backs up this investment by copying so that there is no more money for the wolves and I am not talking about controlling people and similar things

to sum it up simply the whole world is one big stupid business and it has been for a long time even the REDFOX team is a business but the REDFOX team is a business that really helps people and they don't demand a lot of money from their customers unlike the streaming services of BLURAY and DVD sellers

Vinyl record sales are making a comeback, actually selling more than Compact discs recently, so perhaps that people will realize that owning a Blu-ray disc or a DVD is way more effective than streaming something that might be pulled by the content distributor at a drop of a hat.

Time will tell.

Vinyl record sales are making a comeback, actually selling more than Compact discs recently, so perhaps that people will realize that owning a Blu-ray disc or a DVD is way more effective than streaming something that might be pulled by the content distributor at a drop of a hat.

Time will tell.
Indeed, I forgot to mention that eventually streaming subscribers of any age are likely going to find some of their old favorite content disappearing once user viewings of it drops below some level-the threshold of which is completely at the discretion of the service and/or content provider. Without a personal copy the subscriber may never see or hear that content again. They may get lucky and find it on youtube, however much longer the format of that website remains free and user friendly; but even there content won't remain indefinitely.

Yes, most of us have limited space to store optical media; thank goodness there will likely always be things like NAS boxes with RAIDed SSDs and/or HDDs-and even having one in your home and at another location-are affordable and easy to keep updated. But it can take months or years for many of us to back up our optical collection to a home server or NAS. And even then some users' optical collections are so huge that back ups can become almost pointless. Besides, what to do then with your backed up optical collection, especially if most of it is in excellent physical condition? Wouldn't it seem pointless to trash a collection you likely spent years collecting and paid thousands for only to get next to nothing for it on ebay, when IF there still were BD players and BD drives the discs would be perfectly usable?

As I described above, if YOU don't get serious soon about using your public libraries and other tools to keep optical media and hardware alive the streaming industry and the big content owners will one day toss your content away for years or trash it completely-AND ALSO kill off BD hardware, making your collection a worthless and useless pile of plastic.

Last edited:
Indeed, I forgot to mention that eventually streaming subscribers of any age are likely going to find some of their old favorite content disappearing once user viewings of it drops below some level-the threshold of which is completely at the discretion of the service and/or content provider. Without a personal copy the subscriber may never see or hear that content again. They may get lucky and find it on youtube, however much longer the format of that website remains free and user friendly; but even there content won't remain indefinitely.

Yes, most of us have limited space to store optical media; thank goodness there will likely always be things like NAS boxes with RAIDed SSDs and/or HDDs-and even having one in your home and at another location-are affordable and easy to keep updated. But it can take months or years for many of us to back up our optical collection to a home server or NAS. And even then some users' optical collections are so huge that back ups can become almost pointless. Besides, what to do then with your backed up optical collection, especially if most of it is in excellent physical condition? Wouldn't it seem pointless to trash a collection you likely spent years collecting and paid thousands for only to get next to nothing for it on ebay, when IF there still were BD players and BD drives the discs would be perfectly usable?

As I described above, if YOU don't get serious soon about using your public libraries and other tools to keep optical media and hardware alive the streaming industry and the big content owners will one day toss your content away for years or trash it completely-AND ALSO kill off BD hardware, making your collection a worthless and useless pile of plastic.
In general, it is a stupid example in connection with backups, because yes, you can back up, but it will never be 1:1, as for other backups, yes, this will most likely be a big problem in the future, because there is not much to back up, not that there is no hw, but the higher capacity of classic hard drives is still relatively very expensive, although nowadays larger capacity is significantly cheaper than before, but the problem is space in houses and money, which despite cheaper hardware, people currently don't have much, so they can't buy it, as for the perfect condition of originals bought for 1. you never know when you do something by mistake, for example you scratch and so on and you end up with the original thing 2. the sound of the optical drive can be limiting even if you can reduce the revolutions thing 3. classic HDDs and thus SSDs are faster how to solve this overall? I honestly have no idea, I'd say it's about what the customer is willing to pay for ucg the original in the best condition and also how much space it has

Time will tell.
Vynyl is more purely for collectors, you can back it up but it will never be 1:1 of the original, with Vynyl it's more about the fact that you have the feeling that you are holding something in your hand that has a heart value for other scumbags and moneymakers when they are looking and can't find it, they pay off a large amount for sale from another collector

My understanding is that 1.) DVD rips using apps like MKV can make bit perfect MKV files, at least if your pc has ECC memory installed with compatible hardware (macs have no such option). 2.) That using apps like Clone DVD can make bit perfect DVD copies, again if ECC memory is installed with compatible hardware.

Unfortunately, while RAM brands like Kingston and Crucial do offer ECC RAM modules, and which are barely any more costly than non-ECC RAM, you need one a specific model # Intel Xeon or later series processors which can recognize ECC RAM's error detection and correction routines. And you also need a motherboard which can do likewise. My pc has 32GB of Kington ECC RAM and this hardware:

ECC is completely unrelated. Open a new voodoo thread.

Last edited:
My understanding is that 1.) DVD rips using apps like MKV can make bit perfect MKV files, at least if your pc has ECC memory installed with compatible hardware (macs have no such option).
How do people create such incorrect assumptions when accurate information is universally available? :banghead:

The fundamental question being asked is whether the market for videophiles will be sufficient to support the hardware and software needed to play movies at home in phenomenal quality. Yes, there will be. However, the way that this market need is fulfilled will not perfectly suit all individual consumers.

Right now, the best quality video is on disc. This may not always be the case, though it will be amazing if networking capabilities allow for full 4k (or 8k) streaming on a mass scale. Until then, like vinyl records, a market will exist for discs. The analogy does break down, as the video equivalent of vinyl records would be actual 35 or 70mm film...

To give two examples, Amazon Prime has one of my favorite old TV shows, Mannix, in HD. Even at a relatively low file size, the picture is better than I can get from my DVDs. Furthermore, AP also has the old Mission: Impossible TV series available for streaming, in HD. MI has been available for some time in HD (as BR discs), but it would be convenient to be able to download the shows for viewing on a phone or tablet. AnyDVD and Anystream are both great apps and complement each other. I will say, though, that optical media is becoming more and more a niche format. Redbox recently removed kiosks in my locality from one of the grocery store chains. There are some online disc rental companies but they are rather expensive,

To give two examples, Amazon Prime has one of my favorite old TV shows, Mannix, in HD. Even at a relatively low file size, the picture is better than I can get from my DVDs. Furthermore, AP also has the old Mission: Impossible TV series available for streaming, in HD. MI has been available for some time in HD (as BR discs), but it would be convenient to be able to download the shows for viewing on a phone or tablet. AnyDVD and Anystream are both great apps and complement each other. I will say, though, that optical media is becoming more and more a niche format. Redbox recently removed kiosks in my locality from one of the grocery store chains. There are some online disc rental companies but they are rather expensive,
yes, it is clear to me that DVD and BD have become a very specific format and I think that it is not only me, but also haedware is rather difficult to find, even if something is still in stock, even if there is not nearly as much as it used to be, it is true that online shows and movies can have higher the quality is no less than on optical media, the magic of the menu on DVD or bluray menu where there are bonuses and all the settings have something in them and the feeling that you own something you love is irreplaceable from downloaded streams, although you can create your own medium, but it's not even close such an atmosphere as authoring from a distributor

Back