• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

End is Near for DVD/BD Drives?

Thanks for that. But the other question is BD drive wear from ripping a DVD containing 5 TV episodes to an ISO vs. to 5 separate MKV files. Which way will likely cause the least wear, if at all substantial?

Ripping content from a disc, whether to an ISO or individual MKV files, involves reading data from the disc.
In terms of BD drive wear, the primary factor is the amount of time the drive spends reading the disc.

1. Ripping to an ISO: When you rip a DVD to an ISO, you create a one-to-one digital copy of the entire disc. The drive reads the disc from beginning to end in a more or less continuous manner.
  2. Ripping to MKV: When extracting individual episodes as separate MKV files, the drive might need to seek different parts of the disc for each episode, especially if the episodes are not stored sequentially. This involves more movement of the drive's laser and mechanisms, which can be more wearing than a continuous read.
Considering the wear, ripping to an ISO might cause less wear on the BD drive because of the continuous and more streamlined read process. However, it's worth noting that modern BD drives are designed to handle many reads and writes, so the difference in wear between these two methods may not be substantial in the context of the drive's overall lifespan.

Ripping content from a disc, whether to an ISO or individual MKV files, involves reading data from the disc.
In terms of BD drive wear, the primary factor is the amount of time the drive spends reading the disc.

1. Ripping to an ISO: When you rip a DVD to an ISO, you create a one-to-one digital copy of the entire disc. The drive reads the disc from beginning to end in a more or less continuous manner.
  2. Ripping to MKV: When extracting individual episodes as separate MKV files, the drive might need to seek different parts of the disc for each episode, especially if the episodes are not stored sequentially. This involves more movement of the drive's laser and mechanisms, which can be more wearing than a continuous read.
Considering the wear, ripping to an ISO might cause less wear on the BD drive because of the continuous and more streamlined read process. However, it's worth noting that modern BD drives are designed to handle many reads and writes, so the difference in wear between these two methods may not be substantial in the context of the drive's overall lifespan.
Interesting. In my case, I use AnyDVD to rip to ISO my Blu-ray disc, and then convert my ISO into an MKV file using either CloneBD or MakeMKV, whichever one app I feel like using that day. However, when I rip to ISO, I rip the ISO onto one of my external drives, saving wear and tear on my internal drive of my laptop.

I also make sure to turn off my external Blu-ray drive once I'm done ripping a disc into an ISO, since that's all I needed for it to do. That way, the Blu-ray drive is saved from any additional wear and tear, prolonging the life of the drive. Now, if I just want to play the ISO, I have Virtual Clone Drive to mount the ISO, and I use PowerDVD/VLC/MPC-HC/JRiver to either play the ISO or the MKV once it's created.

Ripping to MKV: When extracting individual episodes as separate MKV files, the drive might need to seek different parts of the disc for each episode, especially if the episodes are not stored sequentially. This involves more movement of the drive's laser and mechanisms, which can be more wearing than a continuous read.
Considering the wear, ripping to an ISO might cause less wear on the BD drive because of the continuous and more streamlined read process. However...........
It's been years since I've looked at the file directory of any DVD containing TV episodes (I'm still looking for a local professional to build my ZFS based NAS for storing select content https://www.lidatasolutions.com/ ). But I always assumed that each episode on the disc had its own "TS-video" file, and that the data were encoded on the disc contiguously, so that the drive didn't have to hunt much for it, thereby minimizing mechanical wear.

So, you can't just copy an episode by copying its TS-video file and saving it as an uncompressed MKV file?

NOTE: I learned elsewhere that TS-audio files are rarely found on a DVD movie or TV episode disc, as they were files or "extensions" designated for DVD-Audio (or "DVD-A"), the high res multi-channel audio format, which eventually became eclipsed by SACD.
https://www.amazon.com/Beach-Boys-Pet-Sounds/dp/B0000A1WFR

..........saving wear and tear on my internal drive of my laptop.
Your laptop's "internal" drive?? My Sony laptop from 2008, that died over 5 years ago, was one of the last laptops so equipped available anywhere. Still have the original system drive and OS? No issues with the display?

Your laptop's "internal" drive?? My Sony laptop from 2008, that died over 5 years ago, was one of the last laptops so equipped available anywhere. Still have the original system drive and OS? No issues with the display?
Mistake was made by me. I should've said I meant the internal drive of my external Blu-ray drive.

:banghead:

By the way, Cyberlink has extended their sale of PowerDVD 22 Ultra (now at 40% off!) until August 20th.

40% off sale of Cyberlink PowerDVD 22 Ultra is now extended to August 27th.

Wow, I guess that people really aren't snapping up PowerDVD like they used to.

I mean Loki is more Marvel and sets up the current phase we're in for the movies starting with Ant-Man and the Wasp Quantumania. Season 2 of Loki comes to D+ in October and picks up where Ant-Man left off. Mandalorian is Star Wars at its finest. Takes place a few years after Return of the Jedi. There are 3 seasons with a "Book of Boba Fett" thrown in as like season 2.5 almost. I will be buying all of them day 1 because 1) I liked them all and 2) to show Disney this wasn't a stupid idea. If we want to see discs thrive, we need to support them by buying them. Especially things we thought we'd never see on UHD. Like...EVER.

A broken record from yours truly is now being stated: Cyberlink's PowerDVD 22 Ultra is 40% off for Labor Day, at the price of 59.99 US, and the sale ends on September 4th.

At this rate, Cyberlink should offer PowerDVD at 60% off its regular suggested retail price of 99.99 US, with a free upgrade to the next version.

Encouragingly, as it was inevitable that streaming companies would be inclined, if not forced, to purge titles, things seem to be looking up for physical media-and thus, the hardware that supports it. Now let's continue helping to keep it that way.

Back