Do you have an AMD GPU? CloneBD will work with it (mostly)

Discussion in 'CloneBD' started by DQ, Jul 4, 2021.

1. DQ

DQ Well-Known Member

Obviously, as has been stated by myself and others CloneBD seems not fully compatible with AMD GPUs currently.

The politics of that aside, I have gone back to dinking with it again and I have found a setting combo that allows it to mostly work. It's not rocket science I just got lucky because I kept screwing with it.

So it seems that while AMD acceleration cannot be used on the decode end it CAN be used on encode. Which when you are creating a file is apparently what you are mostly doing.

So if you go into CloneBD settings and turn decode off and encode on. It seems to work just fine. I have run a few titles through it it's every bit as speedy as Handbrake.

Please see attached.

Attached Files:

2. coopervid

coopervid Moderator

Interesting. Does ist also work with UHDs / H.265 instead of H.264 (Bluray)?

3. DQ

DQ Well-Known Member

Well, CloneBD shows in settings encoding to 265 is software based only. Or do you mean reading from 265 and encoding to 264?

Attached Files:

4. coopervid

coopervid Moderator

No. I meant H.265 to H.265 compressed. But obviously it doesn't work with hardware support. Bummer!

DQ likes this.
  5. DQ

DQ Well-Known Member

I am with you. I wish it did too. I have tried to compress UHD with Handbrake. And I have no idea if CloneBD would be faster but it friggen takes forever and the file is huge anyway. Which is why I have been running lossless with those. But they are eating up space left and right.

6. coopervid

coopervid Moderator

I works very fast using CUDA with my NVIDIA 1050. I guess the best you can do is "movie-only" w/o compression to save space. Or get rid of some audio tracks you don't care about.

DQ likes this.
  7. RedFox 1

RedFox 1 Super Moderator

I just bought 2X 8TB WD Gold Hard Drives ( yes mechanical) 7200RPM and 256mbs of cache. 5 year warrantee.

DQ likes this.
  8. DQ

DQ Well-Known Member

So you are compressing UHD with CloneBD or Handbrake? What bitrate are you compressing to?

9. DQ

DQ Well-Known Member

I need more 8's. That's what I have now but those are about $300 each but I really need to move to a NAS and that's like another $500 or so (for the one I want :p )

10. coopervid

coopervid Moderator

I also just received a Seagate USB 3 8TB Drive since I was running out of space. Drive prices have been lower a couple of months ago but they obviously are getting down again.

11. RedFox 1

RedFox 1 Super Moderator

Not compressing at all. Leaving everything as is.

12. coopervid

coopervid Moderator

I use CloneBD. My latest Seagate I had ordered in the UK with the best price of 145 Euros for the 8GB USB3. Funny here - USB3 drives are mostly cheaper than the bare drives w/o an enclosure. If you are in the US use pricegrabber. If you are in Europe geizhals.eu is a good source to get best prices.

DQ and whatever_gong82 like this.
  13. DQ

DQ Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info I will try that.

Also, what are you compressing to on UHD? I am just looking for a good target to try it. Thanks.

14. coopervid

coopervid Moderator

I don't have a perfect recommendation for compression. In the past I burned the discs to BD-50 but I don't do that anymore. But even with source files of approx. 65GB reduced to 50GB which is roughly 30% I never saw any visible degradation and therefore I keep using that ratio. But these are just my 2 cents and I hope I will now not be a target of a shit storm ;).

whatever_gong82 and DQ like this.
  15. DQ

DQ Well-Known Member

Thank you for the info that is exactly what I was looking for.

coopervid likes this.