• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Resolved Colons and file names

Status
Not open for further replies.
Either my English is horrible or you didn't read my posts.

Maybe both.

But I assume, this is about derailing now. For whatever reason. Do as you like. I am seriously not into your kind of toxicity.

Have a nice day.
You are upset. Calm down and rethink. Yes, I understand your proposal.

You are upset. Calm down and rethink. Yes, I understand your proposal.
Yes, I am upset. Because how YOU handled things. Don't tell me to calm down. YOU should rethink how to deal with simple suggestions and forum business for beginners.

YOU are the moderator. YOU should moderate. YOU should not act like someone immature who is upset, because YOU can't get some HD stuff from Netflix.

Talking about things doesn't delay any DRM issues. But bitching around brings bad vibes on top of that. And this is your achievement for tonight.

I am not the culprit here. YOU are.

Yes, I am upset. Because how YOU handled things. Don't tell me to calm down. YOU should rethink how to deal with simple suggestions and forum business for beginners.

YOU are the moderator. YOU should moderate. YOU should not act like someone immature who is upset, because YOU can't get some HD stuff from Netflix.

Talking about things doesn't delay any DRM issues. But bitching around brings bad vibes on top of that. And this is your achievement for tonight.

I am not the culprit here. YOU are.

These is a great forum. The folks here are knowledgeable and experienced. Some of the knowledge base here you will be hard pressed to find, anywhere else, in the whole world. But no one achieves that level of nerdom without some taint of sassiness or personality quirks.

You can be part of the community, add to it, learn from it and excuse the occasional quirks as people have done in person with one another since we walked upright. Or you can be angry and upset over someone's possibly terse comments and for all you know that person is an AI.

I am not saying don't be angry or aggravated. I am suggesting chilling out and learning what you can in spite of some minor conflict. The person you are arguing with is one of those insanely knowledgeable people. Can he be abrupt? Sure. But ignore that and help yourself by learning what you can from this insane pool of knowledge even though sometimes the waters might be a little cold.

You are upset. And I just said that priorities are on other things. So what? I still want @RedFox 1 to kick in and don't want it to make a pissing contest between the two of us.

Is it me or didn't I say exactly that in my initial post? The one you even quoted. Besides, what is the point of a message board, if talking about suggestions/ideas triggers such a reaction from a moderator?

I am a paying customer. Treat me accordingly. Thank you.
Please do not take offense. Lets all calm down and as I said in my post 12. I thought I explained it. But I think we all got off-topic. All requests are relayed to our very busy development team. Right, we are knee-deep in trying to get the resolution to FHD on Netflix. It is not an easy task by any means, and after that is finished we have a list of things to add to the program. Our list is made up of providers that we can let as many people in as many regions of the world enjoy. This program was intended to be a simple program that anyone can understand, adding these small features not only takes up time better spent on actual development. What you ask is easily done manually. But that doesn't mean we won't consider it. Please enjoy the software and I have many lists of things people have requested. Some of them will be included and some will not. Thank you for your input.

Mac and Linux OSes might allow them, I honestly don't know. If they do then AS would have to have differing code base beyond the required bits needed to run on so many different machines.
Back on topic a bit...

Linux does indeed allow colons... among several other characters that Windows does not (double-quotes is one that's bitten me in the past sharing files from a linux machine to a windows machine...). I believe Mac is also more permissive, but I haven't really used one in a while.

If we all agree this thread has enough feedback. There are too many off-topic posts. No one here means any disrespect to anyone else. If anyone was offended. I apologize. I will leave it open for the time being. But let us all calm down and discuss things rationally. Thank you all for your input.

If we all agree this thread has enough feedback. There are too many off-topic posts. No one here means any disrespect to anyone else. If anyone was offended. I apologize. I will leave it open for the time being. But let us all calm down and discuss things rationally. Thank you all for your input.

We are nerds, we only truly get offended over colons and file names :)

(general humor directed at no one)

@Herr Kaleu I'm also in the camp of space before a hyphen. @Lone Raven has a preference for without, but to me it looks odd. In any case, there are definitely many priorities above this and they should be the main area of focus. I know it gets frustrating manually adjusting the file names, but that's just what we have to do. If you have a lot of titles to change (such as if it's multiple episodes of multiple seasons of a series with a colon in the name; e.g. "Colons and File Names: The Origin Story As Told By @DQ"), then your best solution is to run a batch script that can replace the original string (without space before hyphen) with a new string (with space before hyphen).
FileRenamer Basic, is your solution.

Windows™ won't allow colons as part of file names, had that restriction from the beginning, there are other verboten characters as well. ? being one since that is used for searches.

Mac and Linux OSes might allow them, I honestly don't know. If they do then AS would have to have differing code base beyond the required bits needed to run on so many different machines.
Linux does. It doesn't allow forward slash (/) or the null character, but any other character is allowed... though actually using some of them can make it very difficult to enter your filename on a command line.

MacOS does not, because of compatibility issues with the filesystem used in old MacOS (before OS X), which used the colon as the path separator, the way Windows uses backslash and Linux slash.

well on other hand I would like to see adding quality in the name... to be able to know what quality the file is when downloading in more quality like 720p, 1080p etc.
I use get_iplayer which is a free utility that downloads from BBC iPlayer in the UK .You can define how a filename is structured using parameters, just like you can in Anystrean under settings/templates. Actually get_iplayer is considerably older than Anystream so I believe they did this first!
I ALWAYS include "quality" in filenames because I need an easy way of determining which media files need revisiting / downloading if content gets upscaled / upgraded. I would have thought Netflix users who are currently downloading at a low resolution would be extremely grateful if they could easily identify titles that needed to be downloaded again once the DRM issue is resolved.
FYI get_iplayer uses fhd, hd, sd, web and mobile to indicate quality. You can also use numeric values like 1080.... Finally.... when I process media files with ffmpeg I include the resolution (if I change it) in the new filename, eg. 1280x720, 1440x1080, 1920x1080 etc. I achieve this using a simple windows batch routine that I've written. Anystream could achieve the same result simply by adding to the available list of parameters under settings/ templates eg %q for quality, %r for resolution....

I have just downloaded two shows from AP with colons in their episode names. That "odd" hyphen is not present in the file names anymore. Version 1.8.7.0. Is it just me or has the handling of colons been altered? If so, thank you! That would be good enough for me.

DIdn't see anything in the changelog, so I am pretty much surprised. And a happy camper!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back