CloneBD 1.2.9.0 AMD support

Discussion in 'CloneBD' started by coopervid, May 8, 2020.

1. manik

manik Well-Known Member

the last post was 3 weeks ago …

2. Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n Translator NL & Mod

and the last update was just over a month ago. My post still applies. When AMD support will be fixed, it will be posted in the changelog. Elaborate Bytes is working on this directly with AMD. Patience is required.

3. TheEmpathicEar

TheEmpathicEar Well-Known Member

I was looking at the Changelog for v1.2.9.1. These are minor changes. Nothing for AMD?

4. Ch3vr0n

If it's not listed, then no. A major fix like that would be in the changelog

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

5. manik

manik Well-Known Member

It is now August and there is still nothing new known. what is that you get a feedback here!

6. Ch3vr0n

If they're still working on it with AMD, then there's nothing to report. If there's a fix, it'll be in the build changelogs

7. manik

manik Well-Known Member

will we experience that in 5 years? for me this has only been an issue since May, but what about the others who have been complaining about it for over 1 year? I don't really believe that AMD really wants to solve the problem. But it was also my mistake to go back to AMD after more than 6 years.

8. Ch3vr0n

Nobody can predict the future. But if AMD would stop messing around with different API calls or stop changing existing API calls things would go a lot faster.

One driver things work like doing call A for GPU series Y and Z, the next driver version call A is broken with GPU series Y and you need to use new call B instead. While call A still works for GPU series Z.

Pretty sure it was a sudden change like this, that broke things again (after elby fixed it the first time), after they made yet another change that broke the previous fix.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  9. TheEmpathicEar

TheEmpathicEar Well-Known Member

Preaching to the choir...

10. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Moderator

To be fair Nvidia is just as guilty of arbitrarily changing apis and breaking stuff. They don't care much about us htpc users. They throw us a bone once a release branch if we're lucky. Amd users don't seem to be so lucky.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

11. Fabian

Fabian Developer

CloneBD works with AMD HW encoding.

If you have trouble and it doesn't work, please post a log file, so I can take a look.

12. manik

manik Well-Known Member

upload_2020-8-6_20-34-19.png

Here you go

Attached Files:

13. Fabian

Fabian Developer

Ok, I take a look what's going on.

14. Rudi Rammler

Rudi Rammler Well-Known Member

I hope that there will be an update for AMD GPUs soon. Because with the current versions of CloneBD the encoding of videos is very slow. But what surprises me is that, for example, with CloneBD version 1.2.5.0, encoding worked much faster. With version 1.2.5.0 I need about 20-25 minutes for a complete BluRay Encode (with the highest settings). With the latest CloneBD versions I need over 2 hours for a BluRay Encode (with the highest settings).

15. blank

blank Well-Known Member

Try software decoding and hardware encoding (which is a lot faster with AMD). :)

16. Machy_CZ

Machy_CZ Member

I have ryzen 7 and also the 1.2.5.x version seemed a lot faster then 1.2.9.x.

Hardware encoding is not an option, I have 5500 XT and for now only software. I was considering nVidia also, but thez are sufferign with 2176p issue, which creates unplayable bluray on some players.