• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Can't ISO normally. Only Rip (Copy to Folder)

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Thor

Hi,

I have noticed that lately, with a number of movies (not all of them), I cannot just process it as I normally would, using AnyDVD & DVD Shrink.

What I have to do, is right click on the AnyDVD HD icon and select to "Rip Video DVD to Hardisk" and then use DVD Shrink to process the movie from the folder AnyDVD HD ripped it to.

Is anyone else having this problem lately (within the last few months)? If so, how can I fix this problem?

Also, a quick question please (and yes, I know how stupid it probably is)...

When I load a movie into DVD Shrink from that folder, does AnyDVD still process the movie again if I load it from a folder? Or does it ONLY process what comes from a disc in the DVD drive (or an ISO in a virtual DVD drive)?

Yes, I know the movie in the folder was already processed by AnyDVD when I ripped it. It's just a technical question that comes from curiosity. Please answer ONLY if you're SURE of your answer.

Thank you very much folks, for your help with the issue I am having and with my question! :)

Dave

Get used to it...

I find it a little amusing when people get error messages in OEM products and come to SlySoft for the answer. We'll help as best we can.

Most OEM burn programs or processing software will NOT support on-the-fly READ and then WRITE, especially with newer DVDs.
This means you will run into problems trying to use AnyDVD in the background with these products since they can not handle newer sector protections like CloneDVD2 can.

And as the studios gallop forward with such things these products will fall more and more behind.

Products like Shrink, 123, DVD X Copy, 1Click, Nero, and some other products will fail with (for example):
- "DVD could not be imported because the ...",
- "Disc error", "fail to read from drive...." or
" dvd shrink has encountered an error and cannot continue. Failed to read file. "
"encrypted" or
"Overlap" or
"The V_ADMAP table is corrupt", etc, etc, etc.

Things like "dvd structure appears to be corrupt, "this dvd can not be read. please try another dvd." or whatever may also appear..

This is the business-as-usual scenario when you use such programs, to mean you'll need to use the "rip video...." option on the right mouse menu on the AnyDVD tray fox and then burn from the Hard Drive and NOT the DVD.

We offer CloneDVD2 as the ideal partner product for AnyDVD as it does not have this limitation.

I find it a little amusing when people get error messages in OEM products and come to SlySoft for the answer. We'll help as best we can.

Most OEM burn programs or processing software will NOT support on-the-fly READ and then WRITE, especially with newer DVDs.
This means you will run into problems trying to use AnyDVD in the background with these products since they can not handle newer sector protections like CloneDVD2 can.

And as the studios gallop forward with such things these products will fall more and more behind.

Products like Shrink, 123, DVD X Copy, 1Click, Nero, and some other products will fail with (for example):
- "DVD could not be imported because the ...",
- "Disc error", "fail to read from drive...." or
" dvd shrink has encountered an error and cannot continue. Failed to read file. "
"encrypted" or
"Overlap" or
"The V_ADMAP table is corrupt", etc, etc, etc.

Things like "dvd structure appears to be corrupt, "this dvd can not be read. please try another dvd." or whatever may also appear..

This is the business-as-usual scenario when you use such programs, to mean you'll need to use the "rip video...." option on the right mouse menu on the AnyDVD tray fox and then burn from the Hard Drive and NOT the DVD.

We offer CloneDVD2 as the ideal partner product for AnyDVD as it does not have this limitation.

With all due respect, that's where you're wrong. DVD Shrink has worked fine with this for years! It is only within the last few months that this has been happening and it isn't just to me.

And I'm not "burning it". I'm not "reading and writing to a DVD on the fly". I create an ISO and then burn that with ImgBurn without AnyDVD loaded.

The problem is, it won't even start to read the disk. DVD Shrink processes the movie (reads it in) before it does anything with it and that's where it gets stuck. It won't even read it in.

Frankly, I tried your other product and I did not like it. It does not have the option to start and end the movie where I want it to. I have to take the whol movie, 8 miles of credits and all. I even wrote to you guys about adding that option to be able to edit the start and stop points. Has this been done yet, by any chance?

AnyDVD, like any other decrypter, should be able to work with other programs. If it can't, then that should be said up front. There are others, so why would I get one that requires me to spend almost double the money? And why doesn't the purchase page say that you need CloneDVD2?

But as I said, I have been using AnyDVD with DVD Shrink for long time and never had a problem until recently.

So yes, I do believe that this issue needs to be looked at. If the problem is what you describe, then AnyDVD needs to be made more compatible, not proprietary to working only with other SlySoft products. Not for this type of thing, IMO. And as I said, it always has worked with any program I tried (I tried different ones over the years, but DVD Shrink has always been the hands down best out there).

Thanks,

Dave

AnyDVD, like any other decrypter, should be able to work with other programs. If it can't, then that should be said up front.
It does. There is even a warning message if you try to rip a DVD to .iso

There are others, so why would I get one that requires me to spend almost double the money?
You don't. Rip to folders, with AnyDVD, use DVDShrink, problem solved. *Or* use CloneDVD2 for a great deal of convenience.

Also with all due respect...

With all due respect, that's where you're wrong. DVD Shrink has worked fine with this for years! It is only within the last few months that this has been happening and it isn't just to me.

And why doesn't the purchase page say that you need CloneDVD2?

But as I said, I have been using AnyDVD with DVD Shrink for long time and never had a problem until recently.

Thanks,

Dave

We'd have a lot to do running after OEMs to make AnyDVD "fit" to the way they want to process (or not process) a DVD.

I did not mean to step on your toes but as time moves on and the studios put more and more sector protection things on the discs, products like shrink, 1click, etc. will have problems and this will force customers to "rip" first, then burn. It may well be that in the past this was not necessary.

And ISOs for DVDs will require ImgBurn as James said.

The product description data for AnyDVD clearly states CloneDVD as a companion product for the process.

It does. There is even a warning message if you try to rip a DVD to .iso

You don't. Rip to folders, with AnyDVD, use DVDShrink, problem solved. *Or* use CloneDVD2 for a great deal of convenience.

What you suggest is not "problem solved". What you suggest IS the problem! That IS the problem that I am now having! That I have o do all that, when I haven't had to with the same exact software for years and the only thing that has changed, is the version of AnyDVD!

Plus I don't think that you're getting the steps I was using before having the problem.

I was NOT saying that I use the right-click menu in AnyDVD to rip to an ISO. What I said was, that I use DVD SHRINK to create the ISO on the hard disk.

1) Load AnyDVD.

2) Load DVD Shrink.

3) DVD Shrink: Open Disc (DVD Shrink reads the disc).

4) In DVD Shrink, click "Reauthor", which means to do the movie only and not the whole disc.

5) In DVD Shrink, select language, subtitles, etc. that you want and starting and ending points.

6) Tell DVD Shrink to create an ISO (instead of burning directly to a blank disc).

7) Close out both DVD Shrink and AnyDVD, load ImgBurn and burn ISO to blank disc.

As you can see, that has nothing to do with using AnyDVD's menu to create an ISO. I am NOT using AnyDVD to "Rip to ISO".

I have been doing it this way, just like many, many other users have, for years! And it has ALWAYS worked!

It is NOT, LATELY, in the last few months, that this has changed and DVD Shrink won't even read the disc and I am forced to use the right-click menu of AnyDVD to select "Rip Movie to hard disk folder", or whatever it is.

The steps I gave you should still work fine and they don't and I should not have to be limited to the two choices that you gave me:

1) Keep doing it the hard way.

2) Buy another one of our products.

That's ridiculous, considering that it worked fine for years and there shouldn't be anything proprietary that stops it working with DVD Shrink and DVD Shrink has not changed for years and that means that something has changed in AnyDVD within the last couple of versions.

Do you see now what it is that I'm talking about? I don't want to do all of those extra steps and shouldn't have to and shouldn't have to be limited to CloneDVD2 to get it to work the way it always has until now and I guarantee you that most AnyDVD users are not using CloneDVD2 and I doubt that would fix it anyway. I would bet any amount of money it would still do the same thing and it shouldn't cost me another $55 to get the product I spent over $100 Euros for, to make that one work.

Buy CloneDVD2 , its a good idea. Shrink is outdated and will never be updated again, take the few extras steps or buy a good program like CloneDVD2.;)

Buy CloneDVD2 , its a good idea. Shrink is outdated and will never be updated again, take the few extras steps or buy a good program like CloneDVD2.;)

Besides, (to the OP-Original Poster), the person that created DVD Shrink now works for Nero, and works on Nero Recode.

That's the main reason that Shrink will never be updated anymore.

Last edited:
I can still use your method on older DVD's it just doesn't work on NEWER titles due to the way the encryption works. There is no way round this without re-writing DVD shrink to enable it to access the discs differently. Slysoft can do nothing about this without re-writing DVD shrink to access the discs differently like they've had to do with CloneDVD.
You seem to think that because DVD shrink hasn't changed then it can't be that causing the issue, but it is. It's so old and outdated it can't handle the way the discs need to be accessed to decrypt on the fly with newer encryptions. The only way round this as has already been stated is to rip to the hard drive first thereby removing the disc accessing issue or to get a piece of DVD software that will allow you to access properly on the fly like CloneDVD does.
You say the only thing that has changed is the version of AnyDVD, but it isn't. The DVD's are constantly evolving with new versions of copy protection. If it wasn't necessary to have to access the discs in a different way to how DVD shrink can handle them then they'd never have had to update CloneDVD to handle it either.

Last edited:
Shrink Rapper is in Da House

I assume that as more features are added to AnyDVD, it might become more commonplace to use the AnyDVD ripper when using DVD Shrink and other programs. I don't expect Slysoft to care about the DVD Shrink users, but as long as I can still use Dvd Shrink, I'm not terribly bothered by any changes to AnyDvd.

I noticed that whenever I choose to use the new AnyDvd feature to remove the annoying video clips, etc., structural protection is added, and then I must use the AnyDVD ripper to be able to get DVD Shrink to read the DVD (that had no structural protection to begin with).

As long as I avoid that new AnyDvd feature, I only have to use the AnyDvd ripper for DVDs with structural protection (although once in a while, DVD Shrink can read a DVD even though AnyDvd says that there is structural protection on it).

I don't re-author that often, so I have no need to create an Iso and then use ImgBurn. However, if I suddenly had to use the AnyDvd ripper for 90% of the DVDs, even though they had no structural protection to begin with, I'd probably be really annoyed. Lousy, Slysoft! Why are they trying to annoy me? ;)

Last edited:
@ Mr.Burns Anydvd does not add structural protection to your disc or invent them.
However what you were describing was bug which gave false appearance to user of having structure protection which has been resolved in later version.

Last edited:
Structural Protection or an evil trick?

I didn't mean that AnyDvd physically adds anything to the original Dvd, but whenever I check the Remove annoying clips... box, (or even the other two related annoying clip boxes as well -- with the rest of the settings as Defaults and the Aggressive I/O mode checked -- EDIT: though I just ALSO tested it with the Aggressive I/O mode Unchecked, and it still gives me the same error message as seen below), AnyDvd shows that it removed the Structural Protection and then makes the structure unreadable to Dvd Shrink (at least on my computer). Dvd Shrink then says:

"DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue. Invalid DVD Navigation structure."

As soon as I press the default button to automatically uncheck those Annoying clip boxes and then click okay, AnyDVD rescans the DVD and then shows NO structural protection and DVD Shrink can read the DVD. Explain that one to me.

And sometimes even when I have an actual DVD that appears to have structural protection on it, I can still use Dvd Shrink to play it and use Nero to burn it (without needing to use the AnyDvd ripper).

So, when was that bug supposedly removed because I still see it with AnyDvd 6802 and 6808?

Note: I just tested "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" (2005 -- with Zooey Deschanel) with 6808 and AnyDVD shows that it had structural protection, but DVD Shrink still read the original DVD and let me watch it (without having to use the AnyDVD ripper); I assume I would be able to burn it with Nero 7 as well (just like I did with one of the "Private Practice" DVDs that AnyDvd said had structural protection, but DVD Shrink still read it and Nero burned it -- as far as I recall, anyway).

I still used the AnyDvd ripper to help me burn a DVD of The Hitchhiker's Guide... but that's only because I assumed that DVD Shrink wouldn't be able to handle the "supposed" structural protection on it.

Oh, and when I checked the "Remove annoying clips..." box and let AnyDVD scan "Hitchhiker's Guide..." again, it still showed it had found and removed the Structural protection, but this time, DVD Shrink couldn't read the DVD because I checked the "Remove annoying clips..." boxes and I got the same error message as the one I listed above.

I'm lost in space, but at least I can always avoid the fancy bells and whistles and still get the job done. :p

I've always assumed that this was normal behaviour, but if it's not, let me know. I can use any DVD (just like the name of the SlySoft program) for the log file, since it happens with all the DVDs that I've tested this on before.

Try it yourself with Windows XP, AnyDvd 6808 (or even earlier), DVD Shrink and ANY DVD that you have in your home. If you can get DVD Shrink to read your DVD after you've checked one or all of the "Remove annoying clips" boxes, then I'll be shocked (I think this is a known occurrence with DVD Shrink, but I could be wrong).

Edit: Just to be clear, I can get the "Remove annoying clips..." feature to work on my burned DVDs, as long as I use the AnyDvd ripper and then DVD Shrink can of course read the file it created ... and then I can burn with Nero 7 and get a successful backup with the annoying clips removed as they should be.

Oh, and then there's this thread that is somewhat similar:

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=48142&highlight=cheers

Last edited:
But if you're using DVD shrink then you don't need those removal boxes checked, especially if you're making 'movie only' DVD's like the OP is as you're asking AnyDVD to author on the fly then serve that to DVD Shrink which then tries to access the file on the disc rather than the virtual file file that AnyDVD has created.

From what I've read about this issue in other posts the bottom line seems to be that if you want to use DVD shrink with newer discs that have newer copy protection there is no way round ripping it to the HD first due to the way the copy protection works. AnyDVD still does it's job of removing the encryption, it's just that these older programs can't read the file structure properly as they've never been updated to cope with how these newer protections lay everything out on the disc.

Also it never states on the AnyDVD page that you can re-author on the fly using any third party software, just that it
Works with all DVD copying
which is not the same as re-authoring.

You could try turning off the 'remove trailers etc' options and then see if it works as suggested by Mr.Burns as this often helps.

Not sure if I missed it, but as to your other question, if you've ripped to folder then AnyDVD will not then scan that folder when it's loaded into DVD shrink as it's not seen as a physical disc. The only way it would scan the rip was if you ripped to an ISO then mounted the ISO in VCD

Last edited:
Frankly, I tried your other product and I did not like it. It does not have the option to start and end the movie where I want it to. I have to take the whol movie, 8 miles of credits and all. I even wrote to you guys about adding that option to be able to edit the start and stop points. Has this been done yet, by any chance?

You may want to consider a video editor, some author the dvd directly. I would still recommend the rip to HD first.

New Challenge

Try it yourself with Windows XP, AnyDvd 6808 (or even earlier), DVD Shrink and ANY DVD that you have in your home. If you can get DVD Shrink to read your DVD after you've checked one or all of the "Remove annoying clips" boxes, then I'll be shocked (I think this is a known occurrence with DVD Shrink, but I could be wrong).

Ah, it appears that for "The Hitchhiker's Guide..." DVD, it is true that I can't get DVD Shrink to read that DVD when I check any one of the "Remove Annoying clips..." boxes, but for a DVD that doesn't have structural protection on it, like "The Guardian: Season 2 (Disc 5)", I can get DVD Shrink to read it, even if I check the first two boxes for the "Remove Annoying Clips...". However, if I also then check the third box (Remove annoying titles shorten than...), or if I just check that third box, that's when DVD Shrink can't read "The Guardian" DVD and I get the same DVD Shrink error message that I mentioned in my last post. The same thing happens if I use AnyDvd 6799 with those two DVDs.

Any DVD still says that The Guardian DVD has structural protection on it whenever I check any one of the "Remove Annoying clips..." boxes, but when they are Unchecked, AnyDvd doesn't mention Structural protection at all.

I don't know if that matters, but I think it's weird.

So, my new challenge for you is to try to get DVD Shrink to read a DVD that you have, while you have that 3rd box checked (Remove annoying titles shorter than...), without using the AnyDvd Ripper. Good luck, you'll need it!

The Incredible Shrinking Man

But if you're using DVD shrink then you don't need those removal boxes checked, especially if you're making 'movie only' DVD's

But I rarely if ever make Movie Only DVDs. I use DVD Shrink to help me remove the stuff I don't want, while still keeping the menus intact. However, if I notice that some of the deleted scenes or any other extras that I want to keep are all GREATER than the 1 minute minimum that AnyDvd allows for removing annoying clips (with the slider bar), that's when I might decide to use that feature to save space.

In addition, with some discs (even ones without structural protection), DVD Shrink occasionally shows them as being larger than a standard DVD-R (shows as in the red), and then even if I substitute an image for the things I don't need, I still might not have enough space on my DVD-R. That's when using the "Remove annoying clips less than a minute" can help to reduce the size even more and might allow me to fit all the stuff that I want on the DVD-R without having to use two DVD-Rs (or a dual-layer disc), or the re-author feature of DVD Shrink.

But I rarely if ever make Movie Only DVDs. I use DVD Shrink to help me remove the stuff I don't want, while still keeping the menus intact. However, if I notice that some of the deleted scenes or any other extras that I want to keep are all GREATER than the 1 minute minimum that AnyDvd allows for removing annoying clips (with the slider bar), that's when I might decide to use that feature to save space.

In addition, with some discs (even ones without structural protection), DVD Shrink occasionally shows them as being larger than a standard DVD-R (shows as in the red), and then even if I substitute an image for the things I don't need, I still might not have enough space on my DVD-R. That's when using the "Remove annoying clips less than a minute" can help to reduce the size even more and might allow me to fit all the stuff that I want on the DVD-R without having to use two DVD-Rs (or a dual-layer disc), or the re-author feature of DVD Shrink.

I never said you were, you missed off the last part of what I said
But if you're using DVD shrink then you don't need those removal boxes checked, especially if you're making 'movie only' DVD's like the OP is
Also you seem to have missed the point of the first part of my post. If you're using DVD shrink then don't set AnyDVD to do any removal and do it all in DVD shrink. You're asking it to re-author on the fly then serve that to another program to then re-author inside that

Last edited:
DVD Shrink isn't as handy as I would like it to be

If you're using DVD shrink then don't set AnyDVD to do any removal and do it all in DVD shrink.

But AnyDvd's "remove annoying..." features also let the burned disc quickly skip to the main menu without having to press the "disc menu" button on my DVD remote, or worry about the messages that I can skip, but shouldn't, because then I'm forced into an endless loop and need to wait for a while until they have ended. I could just use the "scene select" choice from the main menu to counter that, but since I like the "Play all" feature for watching TV series DVDs, I do enjoy the convenience of those new AnyDvd features.

When using DVD Shrink, why go through several titles and manually change them to an image, when I can have the new AnyDvd feature do it all automatically -- with no image adding necessary? It's just too bad that most of the DVDs have stuff on them that are less than 1 minute in length (usually some deleted scenes) that I want to see, so setting the slider bar won't help save those items. At least the other 2 "Remove annoying..." options help out more efficiently (so far, anyway).

I can still use your method on older DVD's it just doesn't work on NEWER titles due to the way the encryption works. There is no way round this without re-writing DVD shrink to enable it to access the discs differently. Slysoft can do nothing about this without re-writing DVD shrink to access the discs differently like they've had to do with CloneDVD.

You say the only thing that has changed is the version of AnyDVD, but it isn't. The DVD's are constantly evolving with new versions of copy protection. If it wasn't necessary to have to access the discs in a different way to how DVD shrink can handle them then they'd never have had to update CloneDVD to handle it either.

I see, so you're saying that because of the encryption, DVD Shrink is not able to read the discs properly. Okay, but I thought that AnyDVD was taking care of that encryption. I mean, isn't that why we bought it?

The way I thought of it, AnyDVD dealt with the encryption before the other program saw it. Or am I incorrectly equating the terms "encryption" and "copy protection"?

As for CloneDVD2, it is a nice little program. But it simply does not have the features that Shrink has. Only Nero Recode does, but that's because it's the same author and he had to agree not to develop it any more. But I'm not going to deal with Nero, as it is bloatware. But the features are:

It allows the user to pick the exact starting and ending spots that they want when doing the movie only and not the whole disc. This may seem picky to some, but why fast forward through a bunch of crap?

Not only that, but sometimes you can be at the point where that extra 2% really makes the difference in how the copy looks! And you can get it back by being able to lop off the studio ads at the beginning and the credits at the end. I have had more than one movie where I saw a noticeable difference, due to the compression being so heavy. I wrote to SlySoft about this, but I guess since even many Shrink users don't even know it's there, they don't think it's that important. It is to those who discover it though! And I'm sure Sly could make the button more prominent. :)

Also, Shrink has those two little check boxes that really improves on the quality (I don't remember what they're called now, but they're in one of the tabs when you go to create the ISO, or burn it to disc, after you click the "Backup" button)! Plus it has the setting for sharpness, which I'll admit I've never had to touch, but it's there. :) But when compression is used, I do check both of those little boxes and it makes a Heck of a difference! Again, I didn't see those in CloneDVD2 either.

So anyway, that's why I never bought CloneDVD2. And I honestly don't understand why they aren't there. They seem to be such nice features and such a benefit, that one would think they would add them.

But the other dude was saying this error I get could happen with lots of programs, so it isn't just about Shrink not being developed any more and if CloneDVD2 is a "must buy" for users of AnyDVD, then why aren't users told that? Why aren't they sold as a package, ya know?

And is CloneDVD2 always updated at the same time as AnyDVD? And if not, then what's the advantage of getting it? Sure, it will be updated eventually, but I still don't get to do my backup when I want to.

I guess I just got a little ticked off by his initial response and then just dropping it. Like because I didn't have CloneDVD2, he was laughing at me for asking. Not too nice.

Had he just stated straightforward what the problem was and where I was ignorant, that would have been much easier and I could learn something. Or if he did, it got lost in the long post that laughed at me. I think we all know that some company just telling you to buy their other product also, is usually just a sales pitch and it's annoying! Here it seems to make sense, but I just didn't feel like I received a straight answer. Again, maybe I did and I just went blind after the laughter part. :)

Anyway, thanks for your comments and if you or anyone else can answer any of my questions or have an opinion about my comments above, I would enjoy having you or anyone else respond. :)

But AnyDvd's "remove annoying..." features also let the burned disc quickly skip to the main menu without having to press the "disc menu" button on my DVD remote, or worry about the messages that I can skip, but shouldn't, because then I'm forced into an endless loop and need to wait for a while until they have ended. I could just use the "scene select" choice from the main menu to counter that, but since I like the "Play all" feature for watching TV series DVDs, I do enjoy the convenience of those new AnyDvd features.

When using DVD Shrink, why go through several titles and manually change them to an image, when I can have the new AnyDvd feature do it all automatically -- with no image adding necessary? It's just too bad that most of the DVDs have stuff on them that are less than 1 minute in length (usually some deleted scenes) that I want to see, so setting the slider bar won't help save those items. At least the other 2 "Remove annoying..." options help out more efficiently (so far, anyway).

I never backup the whole disc. The compression would be too much! I know these programs advertise that they can compress down to 50% of the original size and it looks perfect, but that just ain't true! But when it comes to compression and still looking good, I haven't seen anything beat DVD Shrink! Again, I do movie only, but even then sometimes it's a lot of compression! I've seen movies like that Samarai one with Tom Cruise years ago compress down to 63% (would have been 61% if Shrink didn't have that feature I mentioned in another message) of it's original size and look great and that's hard to do! :)

But like I said, I haven't seen anything touch it on the "compress and still look good" journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back