• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Can't ISO normally. Only Rip (Copy to Folder)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never backup the whole disc. The compression would be too much! I know these programs advertise that they can compress down to 50% of the original size and it looks perfect, but that just ain't true! But when it comes to compression and still looking good, I haven't seen anything beat DVD Shrink! Again, I do movie only, but even then sometimes it's a lot of compression! I've seen movies like that Samarai one with Tom Cruise years ago compress down to 63% (would have been 61% if Shrink didn't have that feature I mentioned in another message) of it's original size and look great and that's hard to do! :)

But like I said, I haven't seen anything touch it on the "compress and still look good" journey.

Thor, FYI, according to James, the original author of Shrink doesn't work anymore for Nero:

http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=313588&postcount=20

That's all I can add on about Shrink.

Thank you. I wish I had a way to contact the guy. Do you remember his name??? Or maybe he has a web site for whatever purpose now?

You're welcome.

I don't have anymore info on the DVD Shrink creator.

I'm giving the link to the DVD Shrink Forum here.

Thor, I did a long post on this before.

But the short version is that programs like CloneDVD rip via TITLESET, and programs like DVDShrink and Windows rip via the FILE STRUCTURE. (you'll note that a Windows Explorer rip will also hork if DVDShrink horks)

There is a limitation as to how much structural protection that AnyDVD can actually remove "on the fly" - the rest it flags for removal by a ripper that rips via TITLESET.

Much like CloneDVD, the AnyDVD "Rip to Folder" option rips via TITLESET and produces an output that DVDShrink can easily work with. IMHO it's best to leave AnyDVD at DEFAULTS when performing this rip for further use with Shrink.

The hard and fast rule here is that if AnyDVD reports that it found structural copy protection, then you must rip to folder first to import it into Shrink. This is not a new situation - it dates back to the release of SAW III - a long time ago.

-W

Last edited:
Thor, I did a long post on this before.

But the short version is that programs like CloneDVD rip via TITLESET, and programs like DVDShrink and Windows rip via the FILE STRUCTURE. (you'll note that a Windows Explorer rip will also hork if DVDShrink horks)

There is a limitation as to how much structural protection that AnyDVD can actually remove "on the fly" - the rest it flags for removal by a ripper that rips via TITLESET.

Much like CloneDVD, the AnyDVD "Rip to Folder" option rips via TITLESET and produces an output that DVDShrink can easily work with. IMHO it's best to leave AnyDVD at DEFAULTS when performing this rip for further use with Shrink.

The hard and fast rule here is that if AnyDVD reports that it found structural copy protection, then you must rip to folder first to import it into Shrink. This is not a new situation - it dates back to the release of SAW III - a long time ago.

-W

Actually, your short version explains a lot. :)

But where does that leave an AnyDVD/CloneDVD2 combo?

In other words, forgive my stupidity, but why does CloneDVD2 work with the newer titles okay without having to rip to a folder first? Or doesn't it?

As for Saw III, yes, I'm sure that's true. But it was occasional and so, no big deal. Now it is at least half of the DVD's I go to back up and that's why I want a different option.

Btw, any thoughts on CloneDVD2 Portable? Is it as good? The same program, only portable? I ask, because it has a completely different version number and usually, when it's the same exact program, it uses the same version number and just says "Portable" after it.

I sure do wish the Shrink author was still doing it! There's nothing out there right now that I know of that's free and will handle all the newer discs.

It's not that I don't buy software. I have thee lifetime licenses with SlySoft. I just don't want to have buy this type of software, because I may want to use a different one later on. With AnyDVD, I will need that for years, I'm sure and CloneCD I only use for specialty backups that require its specialized features and will need that on occasion anyway. But CloneDVD/Shrink type of software, something better may be out tomorrow, ya know? :)

Anyway, thanks for the response, dude! I depreciate it! :)

P.S.: If you don't have time to answer this post, don't worry about it. I'm okay for right now anyway and I can always read up at my leisure. :)

AnyDVD's Structural protection message can often be ignored

The hard and fast rule here is that if AnyDVD reports that it found structural copy protection, then you must rip to folder first to import it into Shrink.

-W

I still try to use DVD Shrink before ripping to a folder with the AnyDVD ripper because many of the discs that AnyDVD says have structural protection, CAN still be read and prepared by DVD Shrink. Why waste 10 to 20 minutes of my time for a rip that I don't need to do? Even some discs from the same TV series are shown by AnyDVD to have structural protection (and take quite a while to finish scanning), while others are shown to be free of structural protection.

Regardless of what AnyDVD mentions about structural protection, I will still try DVD Shrink to see if I get an error message. If there's no error message, I use it and avoid wasting time with the AnyDVD ripper.

I think

Clone DVD always reauthors so the dvd is reprocessed first with anydvd code then clonedvd containing common code with anydvd once processed CD2 burns to disc.

Elaborate Bytes develops CloneDVD. Slysoft develops AnyDVD. Slysoft has had a business relationship with Elaborate Bytes for years and is an official reseller of CloneDVD. The ripping engine used in the AnyDVD ripper is the ripping engine that is part of CloneDVD and Slysoft has licensed it from Elaborate Bytes. Again, they have a business relationship.

In order to remove some of the heavier structural protections changes need to be made to VOB files which cannot be done instantly on-the-fly. Remastering is necessary. The remastering is done by CloneDVD or when ripping via the AnyDVD ripper using the Rip Video DVD to Harddisk... function.

The reason that Slysoft recommends CloneDVD is that the companies actively work to make the programs work together perfectly. You are not forced to buy CloneDVD if you wish to use AnyDVD but don't complain if you first have to use the AnyDVD ripper via the Rip Video DVD to Harddisk... feature before importing the ripped DVD from your HDD into DVD Shrink or another third-party program. There is no conspiracy here.

The reason that Slysoft recommends CloneDVD is that the companies actively work to make the programs work together perfectly. You are not forced to buy CloneDVD if you wish to use AnyDVD but don't complain if you first have to use the AnyDVD ripper via the Rip Video DVD to Harddisk... feature before importing the ripped DVD from your HDD into DVD Shrink or another third-party program. There is no conspiracy here.

<rabble, rabble, rabble!>

Conspiracy!!!

Next you're going to tell us they've been working with the folks at DVDFab! Hahaha! :)

But all seriousness aside, someone mentioned to me that SlySoft is going to have a version for Blu-Ray, but it will not do DVD's. I that right? I don't see how it can be. It sounded strange to me, since I've never seen any piece of software, regardless of what it does (reauthor, rip to video file, edit, or whatever), that does Blu-Ray discs, but can't do DVD's. Honestly, I wouldn't but either at that point, since I'm not going to buy twice. I would think it ended up that way due to the relationship with EB for CloneDVD2. I could be wrong and the info could be wrong. But as LifetimeX3 customer, I would stop at 3 if that were the case. Not trying to be mean. Just voicing an opinion while it's still in development, to let SlySoft know, because I don't want to stop doing business with them. But if all this were the case, to me, that would not be good business dealings at that point and it would be the opposite of what I have experienced for the most part with Sly.

Btw, on a different topic... I have been looking at CloneDVD2 and I would humbly suggest that the box for reauthoring (Movie Only backup) should be called "Reauthor", or "Movie Title Only", or something to that effect, don't ya think? Wouldn't that make more sense?

Also, just one other thing (and maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree here), I kept thinking that little scissors button was going to "cut off" some video when I clicked something, but it didn't work that way. :) Couldn't that be called something more in line with what it is, like "Start & Stop points", or it can say it "marks the starting and ending points", or something like that? That's what other software I've used says and it would seem to make transitions easier, no?

Just ideas, is all. :)

Because

CloneDVD2 is an Elaborate Bytes product(licensed for resale by Slysoft} Clone BD is being developed by Slysoft. 2 companies 2 different products.

But all seriousness aside, someone mentioned to me that SlySoft is going to have a version for Blu-Ray, but it will not do DVD's. I that right? I don't see how it can be. It sounded strange to me, since I've never seen any piece of software, regardless of what it does (reauthor, rip to video file, edit, or whatever), that does Blu-Ray discs, but can't do DVD's. Honestly, I wouldn't but either at that point, since I'm not going to buy twice. I would think it ended up that way due to the relationship with EB for CloneDVD2. I could be wrong and the info could be wrong.

Copying a DVD while making changes to it isn't the same as copying and altering a Blu-Ray disc so just because a product can do one of them doesn't mean it has to do the other especially if an existing product does its job perfectly well. It's like reinventing the wheel. I don't know if anyone outside of the developers really knows what the feature-set will be. We all know one thing; CloneBD with copy Blu-Ray discs. That's the extent to what is currently known. We'll have to wait and see.

But as LifetimeX3 customer, I would stop at 3 if that were the case. Not trying to be mean. Just voicing an opinion while it's still in development, to let SlySoft know, because I don't want to stop doing business with them. But if all this were the case, to me, that would not be good business dealings at that point and it would be the opposite of what I have experienced for the most part with Sly.

I am not employed by Slysoft or Elaborate Bytes so I am only stating my opinion here; I own multiple lifetime licenses for all the products. Your stance is rather like cutting off your nose to spite your face, IMHO. You are free to do it, of course, but I fail to see logic in it and, frankly, it reminds me of the complaints when the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray portion was added to AnyDVD as an upgrade and people thought it should be considered an update and not cost extra. And, again, no one is forcing anyone to use CloneDVD with AnyDVD. It's simply recommended because it works best with AnyDVD.

Btw, on a different topic... I have been looking at CloneDVD2 and I would humbly suggest that the box for reauthoring (Movie Only backup) should be called "Reauthor", or "Movie Title Only", or something to that effect, don't ya think? Wouldn't that make more sense?

I don't see why it should be renamed. The Copy DVD Titles is for just that. While it does initially only select the longest title it can also be used for copying other parts of the DVD by selecting them rather than deselecting as you would when you use the Clone DVD option. So, "Copy DVD Titles" means you are copying selected titles as opposed to Clone DVD where you literally clone/copy the whole DVD.

Also, just one other thing (and maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree here), I kept thinking that little scissors button was going to "cut off" some video when I clicked something, but it didn't work that way. :) Couldn't that be called something more in line with what it is, like "Start & Stop points", or it can say it "marks the starting and ending points", or something like that? That's what other software I've used says and it would seem to make transitions easier, no?

I suggest you let Elaborate Bytes know but, honestly, I've not seen anyone report having an issue knowing that the scissors would do when they selected a section.

Last edited:
CloneDVD2 is an Elaborate Bytes product(licensed for resale by Slysoft} Clone BD is being developed by Slysoft. 2 companies 2 different products.

Which is irrelevant to my statement. The fact is, that CloneDVD is offerd by SlySoft and if SlySoft is going to exclude DVD capability from their upcoming product because of that offering, then it doesn't matter that it's two different companies. It's affecting my business dealings with SlySoft, period!

If the reason is this, then it means that a product that normally would include DVD capability, won't, because of their offering of CloneDVD, which is due to an agreement they have with Elaborate Bytes. As I said, I don't know of any other product of this type that does Blu-Ray, that does not also handle DVD's and frankly, it would be absolutely ridiculous for it not to!

It would seem to me that it would take more programming work to make it not work with DVD's!

Your comment makes no sense. You can't have an agreement that affects an upcoming product and which would make users pay twice (DVD ver and BD ver) specifically because of said agreement (if that is the case) and then wave your hand and pretend that it is not an issue, because they are two separate companies! That's just not reality, dude!

My money comes out of my pocket twice instead of once specifically because of this agreement, but according to you, I'm supposed to just say; "Oh, otay, as long as they're two separate companies, it doesn't matter that I'll have to pay twice! Oh, otay! Yuck! Yuck!"

C'mon dude. :)

Note: Again, that's if it is the case that their agreement with EB is preventing them from having DVD capability in their upcoming program.

Let me put it this way, "Drink". BD sw doing DVD, is backward compatible software. That is quite different than the AnyDVD situation, IMO.

I.e., If one has DVD software and BD software comes out, no it shouldn't be free. New technology. But if one has BD software, it should be backward compatible with DVD's.

As for cutting off my nose to spite my face, no, I'm not. It's called voting with my feet.

Please see my other post in this thread regarding if the ability is left out because of an agreement with EB.

As I said, I have just never seen any piece of software of this type that is for BD, that does not do DVD. And I have quite a few different pieces of software that do BD. :)

Thanks for your comments.

Not quite

Slysoft and Elaborate Bites :sic: may have an exclusivity agreement which would lock Slysoft out of the DVD cloning loop, as to BD cloning BD rebuilder does not do DVD's. Lastly no product does what Slysoft And elby do as quickly and as relatively bug free. first timetrying to edit don't know if it works

Last edited:
Actually BD-Rebuilder DOES do dvd's but only in the output form eg: it can create movie only backups on a DVD from blu-rays (either BD-5/9 = bd structure on dvd, or as DVD-5/9 actual dvd output)

If you mean process dvd's then no, but thats what DVD-Rebuilder is for

Actually, your short version explains a lot. :)

But where does that leave an AnyDVD/CloneDVD2 combo?

In other words, forgive my stupidity, but why does CloneDVD2 work with the newer titles okay without having to rip to a folder first? Or doesn't it?

CloneDVD2 (like AnyDVD) rips via TITLESET - so it works merely with AnyDVD in the background. (The AnyDVD ripper is in fact based on CloneDVD code)

-W

Actually BD-Rebuilder DOES do dvd's but only in the output form eg: it can create movie only backups on a DVD from blu-rays (either BD-5/9 = bd structure on dvd, or as DVD-5/9 actual dvd output)

If you mean process dvd's then no, but thats what DVD-Rebuilder is for

Okay, I'm getting confused. What the heck is this product anyway? A "rebuilder"? People toss around terms like they have no meaning.

What exactly does this thing DO??? What is it called??? Anyone have a link to some kind of info on it? Because all I'm getting now is a lot of different descriptions of it. :)

Now, in case you're right, creating movie backups onto DVD is fine. It should also be able to read an original DVD and do the same thing that CloneDVD2 does with a DVD.

Look, this is really very simple. I have five different pieces of software on my system that handle Blu-Ray for one purpose or another. Every single one of them also does DVD's. I know of no such thing as a product that does Blu-Ray discs and cannot handle DVD's. That is my point.

Here, take a look at these rippers, please:

I had the DVD version of this ripper.

http://www.aiseesoft.com/product-dvd-w.html

The Blu-Ray version came out.

http://www.aiseesoft.com/product-blu-ray-w.html

Do I expect a free upgrade No! But I don't expect to be a new customer and buy the Blu-Ray version and then have to also buy the DVD version to rip from DVD's and when I got the Blu-Ray version, guess what? It does also do the same function as the DVD ripper does with DVD's. I know, because I now also have the Blu-Ray version and whether it be Blu-Ray or DVD, I only need to use the Blu-Ray version of the program, since it is backward compatible and it also handles DVD's.

So yes, I got it twice, But that's because one came out that did new technology. But what I don't expect, is for one to come out and handle the new technology and not do the older DVD technology.

If it turns out that the one that SlySoft puts out seems to stand on its own as a product that does a job with Blu-Ray, but won't do DVD, then it is because of a business agreement with another company and not because of DVD's being different. Again, we're talking backward compatibility with the same drive, not getting new technology free when it didn't exist at the time your first purchase was made. I mean, do you really believe that if CloneDVD did not exist and SlySoft came out with a Blu-Ray product, that it would not handle DVD's as well? Please! :)

Imagine an AnyDVD BD that wouldn't read DVD's. Does that make any sense? Of course not! :)

It does make sense to charge an upgrade for a BD version, if when you bought AnyDVD, it didn't handle Blu-Ray discs.

Do you see what I mean? Some people are equating upgrading with backward compatibility and basing their argument on the opposite direction, which I never said should not be charged for and these two direction are two different things!

I simply wouldn't buy two separate products that do the same exact thing, one with DVD and one with Blu-Ray. No thank you. I'll take neither. And if that means I'll need a different descrypter, than so be it. And no, I'm not cutting off my nose to spite my face. I'm voting with feet and not allowing a company to do that to me, while trying to point at someone else and blame them. The fact is, SlySoft entered an agreement eyes wide open and it looks like now they will want people to buy two products to hand one job and it won't be backward compatible with DVD;'s and these same people trying to defend them, would never buy a product that didn't handle both from anyone else (assuming that a Blu-Ray version already existed when they made their first purchase with that company).

Anyway, again, does anyone have a link to this thing? I'd like to find out for sure what it is and what it does.

Really, you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Take AnyDVDHD for example, it is an upgrade to AnyDVD. When you purchase AnyDVDHD, you are actually purchasing two programs (AnyDVD which handles DVDs only --and-- AnyDVDHD which handles Blurays). Because Slysoft developed both, they are integrated so that if you purchase AnyDVDHD, you don't have to turn around and purchase AnyDVD since AnyDVDHD codebase integrated with AnyDVD.

Now, since CloneDVD isn't a Slysoft developed product, Slysoft can't just dump thier BD code on top of the Elby code. And no, code that decrypts BD can't automatically decrypt DVD. They are totally different format with different authoring methods. For you to assume that if it can do BD, it can do DVD is ridiculous.

In all those rippers you mentioned, they started with DVD handling and added BD handling as an upgrade (which you paid for). Slysoft is doing the same thing. It's just that because they don't own the code, they can't integrate it as one product. And I see no reason why Slysoft should cannabalize sales of CloneDVD by creating it from scratch through a different product and adding it to CloneBD just because you think that a BD ripper should automatically handle DVDs.

If you need to ability to reauthor DVDs, purchase CloneDVD now. When CloneBD comes out, then "upgrade" so you can handle both formats. Slysoft always has discounts for purchasing multiple licenses in one transaction. You claim you don't want to get anything for free, but then you want Slysoft to through in a DVD author program when you purchase a BD reauthor program when one has nothing to do with the other.

I get what you're saying, i just think it's not correct to think that way.

He doesn't seem to understand that no one has said for definite that CloneBD won't do DVD's, DLAD even stated that no one knows exactly what's going in to it.
Also as has already been pointed out Blu-ray re-authoring is completely different to DVD re-authoring and I see no reason why they have to be in the same program. I've pretty much dropped all DVD's now and don't see why I'd have to pay the extra for a re-authoring package that contains the DVD side that I don't want or would never use.
You seem to be making a lot of assumptions about licensing agreements etc with nothing to back it up and ranting on with no real proof about any of it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back