• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Can you believe it, 24TB hard drives, Oh MY!!

Those of you touting megabucks for "large" ssd's might want to wait and check again in a few months...

:)
Well, this post could be considered as, contributing to the delinquency of a downloading addict. And or thirst trapping.

All I can say is if I had that much space available to me, I'd rip every damn thing to protected ISO and call it good. As it is now I rip everything to MKV for space saving and convenience in playback but if space were no issue, why not?

RAID is not a backup strategy
I didn't say it was my Backup Strategy ... just that I want to avoid losing data due to a faulty drive.
My Backup strategy includes another RAID where I put the backups from the first one

just that I want to avoid losing data due to a faulty drive

That's a bit confusing, as "losing data" is about integrity and RAID is about access.

What is not so confusing is to say you want to access the data if a drive fails, but that's not about data integrity.

Look:
Case1: single disks ... if one is broken, you lose data
Case2: multiple disks in RAID ... if one is broken, you still have all your data

That was my only point, not confusing at all ... don't know why you have to make an argument about it.

If you have a backup (which you always should), good, in case1 you would still have the hassle restoring your data.

If you have a backup (which you always should), good, in case1 you would still have the hassle restoring your data.

Backups have RPO and RTO. You seem to be very focused on RTO. The RPO computation of Case2 is questionable.

Fortunately, I have everything on two drives. While neither one are actually "backups", one drive is for watching the shows at one locations, the other is for watching them at home. So I didn't lose any actual data. Unfortunately, I had to buy another drive. If those Samsung drives end up working and being affordable, then I will be buying some of them.

Sure, it will be 24 TB, but power of 10, not 2. HDD manufacturers learned a long time ago that they could make their drives seem larger by switching.

24*1024^4: 26,388,279,066,624
24*1000^4: 24,000,000,000,000 (will appear in Windows as about 21 TB)

[Someone check my math...]
My 4TB HD when installed and formatted for Windows ends up being 3.63TB in usable size, my 1TB SSD ends up at 931GB usable. Even if your "maths" are off, you are correct with the notion that hardware manufacturers are "lying" about the actual size.

Not lying, just a light "cheating" :giggle:
The reason why I put "lying" in quotes.

I am looking to get sometime in the future a couple of larger than 4TB plattered HDs to upgrade my current data storage drive. SSDs if uber-large and within my Scrooge miser price point I'd definitely consider two of 'em.

My 4TB HD when installed and formatted for Windows ends up being 3.63TB in usable size, my 1TB SSD ends up at 931GB usable. Even if your "maths" are off, you are correct with the notion that hardware manufacturers are "lying" about the actual size.

4*1024^4: 4,398,046,511,104
4*1000^4: 4,000,000,000,000 (will appear in Windows as about 3.63 TB or 4E12 / 1024^4)

1*1024^4: 1,099,511,627,776
1*1000^4: 1,000,000,000,000 (will appear in Windows as about 0.909 TB or 1E12 / 1024^4 or 931 GB or 1E12 / 1024^3)

So, it checks out.

My 1TB SSD (Boot)
1TB SSD.jpg

My 4TB HD (Data)
4TB HD.jpg 😉

Either you or Windows is a bit off on the number of bytes on the drives.

My 1TB SSD (Boot)
View attachment 79543

My 4TB HD (Data)
View attachment 79544 😉

Either you or Windows is a bit off on the number of bytes on the drives.

I don't know where you're looking but my numbers match yours exactly (3.63 TB and 931 GB).

If you are looking at the total byte count, don't. It only includes the space for user data. Some space is used by the file system, itself. For example, if you remember the old floppy days, a 3.5 HD floppy held 1.44 MB of data, but the disk capacity was actually 2 MB (the remainder being used by the file system).

Also, modern drive contain some extra space for remapping bad sectors.

Last edited:
Notice what Windows is showing as the capacity in bytes. Slightly more for 1TB and 4TB respectively than the numbers you used. Not enough to to be effected by round-off errors, but still more than the numbers you used.

Notice what Windows is showing as the capacity in bytes. Slightly more for 1TB and 4TB respectively than the numbers you used. Not enough to to be effected by round-off errors, but still more than the numbers you used.
Yes, see above. It will never been exact.

The main point is the OS is using 1024 bytes per KB, while the HDD makers use 1000 bytes per KB to make it look bigger.

Yes, see above. It will never been exact.

The main point is the OS is using 1024 bytes per KB, while the HDD makers use 1000 bytes per KB to make it look bigger.
I know that, which is why I said "either you or Windows is lying." My bet would be on Windows.

Lighten up, Francis.

Back