• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Can you believe it, 24TB hard drives, Oh MY!!

After formating?
Sure, it will be 24 TB, but power of 10, not 2. HDD manufacturers learned a long time ago that they could make their drives seem larger by switching.

24*1024^4: 26,388,279,066,624
24*1000^4: 24,000,000,000,000 (will appear in Windows as about 21 TB)

[Someone check my math...]

Last edited:
Nice... But what did it cost?
$429. Just liquidated about $1200 of hard drives of all types accumulated since 2018. If hurricane season wasn't just around the corner, a couple of them would already be on there way to my NAS.

$429. Just liquidated about $1200 of hard drives of all types accumulated since 2018. If hurricane season wasn't just around the corner, a couple of them would already be on there way to my NAS.
Ok, that is cheaper than the drives I currently buy. However, these are 5TB 2,5" and don't need a power plug etc, also they are smaller. I think I rather pay that bit than having these big chunks and then 24TB are gone instead of 5 if something fails.

Yes, I do own an enclosure now. So I wouldn't need to have the power plugs out for them. But still.

Ok, that is cheaper than the drives I currently buy. However, these are 5TB 2,5" and don't need a power plug etc, also they are smaller. I think I rather pay that bit than having these big chunks and then 24TB are gone instead of 5 if something fails.
Samsung has 8tb ssd's for almost $600. When the ssds reach 12 tb. Then I will bite the bullet and completely overhaul my systems. Since I now know there is a healthy resale market for Nas's and hard drives.

12TB/s NVMe SSDs will cost upwards of € 2,000 each. 8TB/s NVMe SSDs cost 999.99 from Sabrent right now.

Samsung has 8tb ssd's for almost $600. When the ssds reach 12 tb. Then I will bite the bullet and completely overhaul my systems. Since I now know there is a healthy resale market for Nas's and hard drives.
Yes, I bought one for less than 350€ on eBay when the prices for a new one sat at around 380€ or so. But now the prices rose again. I haven't used it yet as the drive with the data I wanted to store there is broken (it tries to spin up, but can't and tries again as it sounds). And I didn't managed to or wanted to re-dl it so far.

Anyways, I also plan to go SSD only at some point, but the prices are just too high. I don't buy an 8TB SSD for 400€+ when I can get 5TB for 100-120€ (the 2,5" ones). That is 200-240€ when I want to have 10TB, still half the price of one such SSD that had 2TB less.

And since I mainly put my ISOs and downloads on them, I do not want to pay the extra just yet. But at some point the prices will be low enough for me to say ok, since they are smaller than the HDDs and are not mechanical. But the HDDs only sit in my shelf and I pull them out when I need them. So it will take at least 5+ years until the prices are better (maybe even longer considering the recent risings). And then we might have larger SSDs as well, so I can put my stuff on only two drives and buy two more as an backup. Yes, right now I don't have a backup but who cares, when one drive goes I can just rip or re-dl it again, unless it is something that has been delisted now. But then I have 10 other drives with content, so...

And yes, I don't even have backups of my important stuff yet because I always said I want to clean it up first, but I want to get that going "soon".
Time, why does it always have to be time...

Yeah, I just accidentally killed an 18TB external drive on Monday. It pissed me off so much. I was copying a lot of files and I thought the drive was sitting securely, but the vibration from the drive made it move slightly and the next thing I knew, it fell to the floor and now the drive can't be recognized.

Yeah, I just accidentally killed an 18TB external drive on Monday. It pissed me off so much. I was copying a lot of files and I thought the drive was sitting securely, but the vibration from the drive made it move slightly and the next thing I knew, it fell to the floor and now the drive can't be recognized.

OMG, the exact same thing happened to me!!

Mine was a nearly full 14T Hard Drive that somehow vibrated all the way off the Desk during a fairly long AS session!

Hit the floor and was history...

I still haven't fully recovered, mentally or media-wise - lol.

I had a lot of the Iso's on there backed up on another HD but still struggling to remember all the AS titles lost to this day.

In a lot of cases, doesn't matter if I do recall them because a lot of my titles are downloaded when they are leaving Prime - or another provider.

Ugh!

Double-secured all my HD's since this incident, for sure.

T

Backup! All I can say. How you do it effectivly is up to you. Maybe you have a friend who is also a movie nerd.

Indeed. The minute I saw it I thought about my 8 bay NAS, as well. I've stopped buying drives for it at the moment as I've got maybe 20tb free at the moment but I, as well, wish to go SSD. Imagine 8 of those suckers in a NAS configuration. I could put my ENTIRE collection on the NAS instead of just my UHD's. That'd be nice.

And that's why I rely on RAID and synchronization than on single drives.

RAID is not a backup strategy. RAID is about availability. If one* drive fails, then there is access to the data.

This is much different than if you're hit by a ransomware attack. RAID will allow access to the ransomware-encrypted files if one drive fails, but RAID cannot be used to restore the data.

*One drive used as an example; it's the same with two drive protection.

Back