• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Question Can anyone recommend a good, reliable VPN for US Prime Video?

Greg Alex

I've been using Surfshark for a while with good results, but now any server I try is detected by Amazon. Don't know if it's actually Surfshark that's currently experiencing problems on their end or if Amazon got wise and put a block on my account......

Any suggestions are appreciated

I used Nord for a while, until most all their IPs got blocked by Netflix etc, I am not using one at the moment.

I used Nord for a while, until most all their IPs got blocked by Netflix etc, I am not using one at the moment.
What are the chances that Amazon blocked my account? I do have a dedicated US prime account, but something that surprised me is that I use another service to stream content on my tv and it went down yesterday.....and now today Surfshark is down too....is that a wild coincidence that 2 separate services went down at the same time, or did Amazon put a block on me and every time i try to access my account it triggers a warning that I am using a VPN? Is there even a way to tell?

What are the chances that Amazon blocked my account? I do have a dedicated US prime account, but something that surprised me is that I use another service to stream content on my tv and it went down yesterday.....and now today Surfshark is down too....is that a wild coincidence that 2 separate services went down at the same time, or did Amazon put a block on me and every time i try to access my account it triggers a warning that I am using a VPN? Is there even a way to tell?
I wouldn't have any way of knowing that, but I would guess it's slim.

I've been using Surfshark for a while with good results, but now any server I try is detected by Amazon. Don't know if it's actually Surfshark that's currently experiencing problems on their end or if Amazon got wise and put a block on my account......

I use the same VPN, I have already contacted the support and they are fixing the problem.

Try to enter without vpn and you should be able to see, of course you would not have the same movie and others, but if you can see any video, it means that it is only a vpn problem.

I use ExpressVPN. It is a bit expensive, but thus far I didn't have major issues. Had to jump to different location once or twice, but it worked.

I use the same VPN, but haven't used it for awhile now since I got a new PC and so I can tell what the problem might be. But as ward97 already said, it seems to be an issue by Surfshark.
I use the same VPN, I have already contacted the support and they are fixing the problem.

What are the chances that Amazon blocked my account?
Try to login without VPN, play something and you'll see...

Man, honestly I really appreciate you confirming this, I was really worried that i was on Amazon's chopping block. I'm sorry you're also having these issues but I am relieved that it's Surfshark's issue. I actually contacted their technical support prior to creating this thread, and they literally kept me in chat for 30 minutes, asking me to test different servers and testing every single protocol. I asked them straight up if anyone else was complaining about this problem or if their system was having issues with Prime....they could have saved me a lot of time.

Did they give any kind of eta on a fix?

Try to enter without vpn and you should be able to see, of course you would not have the same movie and others, but if you can see any video, it means that it is only a vpn problem.
usually when I'm off vpn i get a message that I'm travelling and the page may not look the same or something to that effect, and i only get access to Prime originals, and not actual movies

I use ExpressVPN. It is a bit expensive, but thus far I didn't have major issues. Had to jump to different location once or twice, but it worked.
I actually had Express for a year before I made the switch to Surfshark, and while i liked their speeds I always experienced connection issues which kept disconnecting me for a few seconds and reconnecting me. That usually happened every hour-2 hours (depending on whatever server i was using). That made me consider not to renew. Surfshark seemed pretty reliable for the time i was using it but today it suddenly gave out which really caught me by the surprise. Another DNS service I use to stream content on my tv also went down yesterday, I guess prime is really beefing up their VPN detection

I actually contacted them again just now for a peace of mind, and they're telling me that they don't have any problems with Prime, hmmm

Makes me wonder if they really are working to fix this issue, if they're not even acknowledging it. That's already a second rep telling me that everything is fine on their end.

I actually had Express for a year before I made the switch to Surfshark, and while i liked their speeds I always experienced connection issues which kept disconnecting me for a few seconds and reconnecting me. That usually happened every hour-2 hours (depending on whatever server i was using). That made me consider not to renew. Surfshark seemed pretty reliable for the time i was using it but today it suddenly gave out which really caught me by the surprise. Another DNS service I use to stream content on my tv also went down yesterday, I guess prime is really beefing up their VPN detection

Maybe my setup is a bit different and possibly a bit over the top, but "Reasons".
I actually have two routers. One connected to the ISP for local internet access.
Then I got myself a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router. Loaded the ExpressVPN software on there which then secures the entire router.
This second router I have at my TV and have my Roko and AndroidTV boxes amongst other connected to it.
With the ExpressVPN software I can set which devices uses the VPN and which device bypasses it and is on my "home" LAN - thus without VPN.
I set the VPN to USA (Chicago / Newjersey) permanently and say the ROKU must use the VPN.
That way I can watch the American Hulu/HBO Max/Disney+, Netflix and Amazon Prime feeds via the Roku and the Amazon/Netflix local feeds via the TV or AndroidTV boxes.

Why did I go this crazy route? Well, It was too much of a hassle to switch VPN on and off every time I wanted to watch something not available locally, or something which was available locally, but not in America.
And ExpressVPN with the integrated software into the Router Firmware opened up that door nicely.

Can't say that I experience the issues you mentioned. There could be many reasons for that, could even be the local ISP or some link in between where you are and the VPN endpoints.
Could also have been the particular endpoint you were connecting to.

Works like a charm for me.
I hope you find a solution.
Region locking is such a pain. I don't mind paying for a service and not simply pirating things, but region locking really sucks.

You can use Tuxler Free Residential VPN. Once the AnyStream download starts, you can turn it off, it will download anyways. The speed isn't great so I guess once you started downloading you just turn it off, it'll continue to download using your real IP.

It uses IPs from other users of the service; that way it is not detected as a VPN since all IPs are residential ones, and they change often.
https://www.tuxlervpn.com/download-chrome-extension/
It's the same idea than Hola! VPN except with the app, you can use the IPs eveywhere.

However, if you let it opened, it will use your IPs for other people as well. I have had the bad surprise of being banned for 30-days on 4chan because someone has been posting 2D naked anime underage girls there. Who knows what else they are doing with your IPs. If you let it opened for weeks, your IP will also be detected as shared and you'll have captcha to solve everywhere because everyone on the service uses your IP (mine is 1gbps symetrical so I guess it was used by most people wanting an IP in my country xd)

Thanksfully I have a dynamic IP at home so the problem was quickly solved.

So yeah I'm using that, but no more than 1 minute, then I quit the app until the next rip. That way people can't do shit using my IP + I don't know what legal issues I could have if someone fucks up using my IP.

Big advantage of it is they have IPs almost everywhere, so I guess you can also rip from Amazon in any place as well with it. And it's free if you dont change the location or refresh for a new IP more than 10 times a day.

If you want something safer to use, you can rent an American Residential VPN, but it's very expensive for what it is (usually around 20 dollars a month) usually the data is limited to less than a hundred GB. But this option is pretty useful if someday you want to larp as an american or be invited somewhere / have many accounts on some sites I'm not allowed to talk about here.

Last edited:
Man, honestly I really appreciate you confirming this, I was really worried that i was on Amazon's chopping block. I'm sorry you're also having these issues but I am relieved that it's Surfshark's issue. I actually contacted their technical support prior to creating this thread, and they literally kept me in chat for 30 minutes, asking me to test different servers and testing every single protocol. I asked them straight up if anyone else was complaining about this problem or if their system was having issues with Prime....they could have saved me a lot of time.

Did they give any kind of eta on a fix?
It is always like this, it is the process, those who attend the caht ask you to make several changes and if it does not work out, they send your case to their developers, then you have to wait for them to send you an email to your email and See if what they ask you for turns out.But look at it like that, at least they don't say they can't.I hope I have been helpful.I saw a comment from express vpn n it works neither for primevideo nor for hbomax, only for netflix.

It is always like this, it is the process, those who attend the caht ask you to make several changes and if it does not work out, they send your case to their developers, then you have to wait for them to send you an email to your email and See if what they ask you for turns out.But look at it like that, at least they don't say they can't.I hope I have been helpful.I saw a comment from express vpn n it works neither for primevideo nor for hbomax, only for netflix.
where did you see the comment about ExpressVPN? That was actually my second option to go back to them if the issue with Surfshark is not going to be resolved. There's been at least 2 posters in this thread who confirmed that Expressvpn currently works for them with Prime. I don't much care about Netflix, I just need something solid for Prime that wont go down. My other DNS service for streaming went down also 2 days ago which made me think that Amazon was giving me a middle finger. But since you're having issues with Surfshark too i think Amazon is doing a hit job on the usual VPN services....maybe I'm wrong. I have no idea how long something like this takes before it starts running again. Like I mentioned before, Surfshark already told me that everything is fine on their end for Prime, and another poster Bogyo is saying that it works for him, so I'm not sure what to think here.

where did you see the comment about ExpressVPN? That was actually my second option to go back to them if the issue with Surfshark is not going to be resolved. There's been at least 2 posters in this thread who confirmed that Expressvpn currently works for them with Prime. I don't much care about Netflix, I just need something solid for Prime that wont go down. My other DNS service for streaming went down also 2 days ago which made me think that Amazon was giving me a middle finger. But since you're having issues with Surfshark too i think Amazon is doing a hit job on the usual VPN services....maybe I'm wrong. I have no idea how long something like this takes before it starts running again. Like I mentioned before, Surfshark already told me that everything is fine on their end for Prime, and another poster Bogyo is saying that it works for him, so I'm not sure what to think here.
I try to use it for Mexico and express vpn does not work for primevideo or for hbomax, it only works for netflix in several countries and I have the premium there.

Even with me living in the US - Amazon always knows if I am running a VPN - Nord, VPN Unlimited, Adguard VPN. They will not let me watch a video when they sense a VPN. With AnyStream, it simply will not present the green download button.

Back