• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Blocked BD copy playback (Cinavia)

Ah I see what you sayin. :p

Yea, any player (in theory) made from the last quarter of 2009 going forward will have this nonsense baked into the very first firmware releases.

In any case, I'm with Peer and Drink...let's not get all in a big panic just yet. Let SlySoft look at it. I would not, however, waste a lot of BD-R's burning backups with this crap on it. Looks like Warner Bro's is going to start using this on all new discs as both Repo Man and The Losers are reported to have it. I'd probably go with BD-RE's to test first whether your equipment cares or not before burning a BD-R. Other than that, the rest of us can just ignore it.

While at it I am gone hold back from upgrade PS3 firmware. Until Sly resolve it. Just thinking would it be possible put this technology in operating system as well if so I might not upgrade my OS.

I guess. I'm not personally going to worry about it. At all.

I hope the don't or it could mean end of playback on open source software player and similar software players.

Woa woa woa. Relax people! :) The player itself has to recognize it and decide to do what it wants. It's not at the OS level. At worst the big 3 commercial players will be forced to implement it. As long as your player of choice doesn't implement it, you'll be fine. It's only AACS licensees that are required to implement this crap.

I must admit I got worried too much. I was thinking of idea where win vista and 7 perform 30 checks a sec to make sure there is no attack on premium content. If that is not exactly the case I can relax about cinavia nonsense.

I must admit I got worried too much. I was thinking of idea where win vista and 7 perform 30 checks a sec to make sure there is no attack on premium content. If that is not exactly the case I can relax about cinavia nonsense.

That will not be the case. I think everyone but the hardware guys that have players that "support" this crap can relax for now. As I've said before, don't panic until you are faced with a problem. Panicing ahead of time...not so useful. :) Until the SlyGods look at this, we have no idea how much of an issue it is. And for those of us on HTPC's, it's simply not an issue. Period.

Thanks SamuriHL for clearing all the misunderstanding related Cinavia. It is quite warm in here; I am gone go for swimming know :D

Those of us using Free Software players (like Samuri now) will not be affected by this since we are not using AACS licensed devices (AnyDVD HD is our decrypter). This is why I did not, and now have no intention of, buy an AACS licensed playback device. This is where the source of all headaches related to this new protection will lie. Until they move this stuff into our TVs and AMPs, we'll be just fine. If they do, then it may be as simple as figuring out how to enable HDCP on the outgoing stream, as that's the only "protection" these devices will see (AACS would have already been handled by the player anyway). Hopefully it never gets that far. In the meantime, I feel bad for those of you that spent all that money on blank BD media...

Matt

Yup. That's a fair assessment for now. And I don't believe the commercial software players have (yet) been updated for this, either, so, as long as you're on an HTPC you're fine. Also, please note that all your previous backups are fine. To my knowledge this is only being implemented on commercial discs starting with these new titles. So those of you used to backing up on BD media, perhaps you'll need a new strategy going forward or play a wait and see game to see if SlyGods have any insight into this. But the situation certainly isn't so dire that panic is needed. :)

[...] Looks like Warner Bro's is going to start using this on all new discs as both Repo Man and The Losers are reported to have it. I'd probably go with BD-RE's to test first whether your equipment cares or not before burning a BD-R. Other than that, the rest of us can just ignore it.

Repo Men is from Universal! It was not confirmed yet, it was just speculation (read first post).

From the articles I've read (not just the ones in this thread) pretty much all the studios are going to start using this crap. In my research I noted 3 titles that supposedly use this nonsense:

The Losers
Repo Men
The Runaways

I assumed they were all Warner Bros but apparently not. Awesome.

I wonder if the same movie but in different countries will have the same protection.

Btw: I tried to change audio to french, spanish, etc on Losers BD. Same...message3

BDP-V6000 uses cinavia too.

Last edited:
Player support

Regarding player support:

AIUI, it's become a requirement of AACS license. So all new players will need to support detection of this watermark.

Older players will not see this stuff in the meantime, untill they get a firmware update. In which case, they play the content regardless.

If firmware updates are not forthcoming, I can see the AACS Licensing Authority revoking keys to shut down old non-compliant players.

So we need non-beholdant players ( helloo, there, slysoft... ) or a means to remove the watermark.

On the plus side, since all AACS-compliant players need to support watermark detection, that may provide a way in to reverse engineer what the algorithm is looking for.

--
SC

I wonder if the same movie but in different countries will have the same protection.

Btw: I tried to change audio to french, spanish, etc on Losers BD. Same...message3

Look at what's already happened so far. The Losers...they removed the problem on pirated versions by using the DVD audio track which doesn't have cinavia embedded in it. So, if any of these discs get released in any region without it, it's likely that the pirates will just use the audio track from another region or simply rip it from the other region completely. I'm not saying I condone this crap as piracy is piracy, but, this stupid protection is aimed at preventing pirates. In order for it to work, there can be *NO* audio track source without cinavia embedded.

Oh, and to piss some of you off even more, I'm seeing reports that the WD media streamers support cinavia. We all happy now? :rolleyes: :bang:

Look at what's already happened so far. The Losers...they removed the problem on pirated versions by using the DVD audio track which doesn't have cinavia embedded in it. So, if any of these discs get released in any region without it, it's likely that the pirates will just use the audio track from another region or simply rip it from the other region completely.[...]

Here's an idea, why not take the base audio ac3/dts from a dvd and put the "extra" from dts-hd and truehd from the bd. I wonder if that works.
Did anyone test if the base audio from a bd is same as the audio from the dvd on a bd/dvd combo release?

Here's an idea, why not take the base audio ac3/dts from a dvd and put the "extra" from dts-hd and truehd from the bd. I wonder if that works.
Did anyone test if the base audio from a bd is same as the audio from the dvd on a bd/dvd combo release?

No, that won't work because blu-ray audio sampling frequency is much higher than DVD audio which is much lower in quality.
Do a google search to learn more.

Last edited:
No, that won't work because blu-ray audio sampling frequency is much higher than DVD audio which is much lower in quality.
Do a google search to learn more.

what are you talking about?!?
DVD has AC3, 5.1ch, 48KHz
BD has DTS-HD MA, 5.1ch, 24bits, 48KHz

Back