• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

BD ISOs not playing in PDVD 8 (no problem at PDVD 7)

I think i found the solution:

As mentioned in another forum (don't know if it is a good idea to post the link):

- in Root you also need a CERTIFICATE folder containing BACKUP folder
- in BDMV you also need a BDJO, JAR, and META folder
- in BACKUP you also need a BDJO folder

So all these folders seem to be necessary for normal BR playback in PDVD 8 while 7 seems not to care.

I think that some of ''folder'' rips don’t include all these folders so this could make sense.

I will try and revert

ahhh... your leaving out folders, exactly what files or folders like that do I don't know, I asume they tell "program" your player to handle that disc correctly,

thats right you have to enclude everything as it might all serve a purpose in the playback process if something needs to be taken out that what anydvd is for

everytime i make an ISO i rip the whole disc i dont take out any folders which could be a reason to why mine work and his dont unless thats what spcav did and in that case were back to square one
No, I never took out any folders.

Most probably it has to do with how ‘old’ are the rips or how they were made.

I will check and revert.

thats right you have to enclude everything as it might all serve a purpose in the playback process if something needs to be taken out that what anydvd is for
which wasn't necessary in pdvd7....that's why I didn't notice before...

Are you having issues only with ISO's created from folders or also with ISO's created directly from the source disc?

It might help if you could create an ISO directly from a disc, copy the source files to folders and then create an ISO from the folders (all with AnyDVD HD running). Is there a difference between playing back the two ISO's? This would indicate whether there is a problem in the sequencing of files, when creating an ISO from folders, that does not exist when reading a disc straight to ISO (as the files are sequenced as they appear on the disc).

It would not surprise me if file sequencing is now important to PDVD8 (as another way of ensuring genuine disc playback and an impediment to file playback): it was important for DVD in that an ifo/vob/bup sequence was required for standards playback compatibility.

You mention problems only in PDVD8 and not PDVD7: which version of PDVD7 are you using? IIRC, earlier versions of PDVD7.3 had loopholes that permitted playback of BD+ titles that had AACS stripped, but this was prevented in later versions (and presumably also PDVD8.).

It might also be helpful to distinguish between BD and BD+ titles in troubleshooting as well as Profile 1 and 1.1 as they would each have their own ideosyncracies. Perhaps a pattern will emerge if the specific disc characteristics and their associated playback problems can be documented.

Also, are you using AnyDVD's copy option or are you manually copying folders? One hopes that AnyDVD's option would ensure all required folders are copied without missing any.

Last edited:
You mention problems only in PDVD8 and not PDVD7: which version of PDVD7 are you using? IIRC, earlier versions of PDVD7.3 had loopholes that permitted playback of BD+ titles that had AACS stripped, but this was prevented in later versions (and presumably also PDVD8).
3730 with 3319a ''capabilites'' (if u search u will find this great ''patch'').

spcav, I have a stupid question for you. Do you have a UDF driver installed in XP? Like the Toshiba dirver, for instance?

spcav, I have a stupid question for you. Do you have a UDF driver installed in XP? Like the Toshiba dirver, for instance?
If I am not mistaken, yes.

But doesn't AnyDVD HD include it's own?

Furthermore, AnyDVD HD and imgburn rips / iso making could have been possible without it?

Furthermore, AnyDVD HD and imgburn rips / iso making could have been possible without it?

That wasn't the point of my question. :) It's not necessary at ALL unless you want to see the files from explorer. AnyDVD has its own, PowerDVD has its own. If you do have it installed, try removing it temporarily (see here for uninstall instructions), reboot, and see if the ISOs play that were having issues before. I doubt it, but, I want to rule out all possibilities here.

Both AnyDVD and Imgburn can read UDF 2.5 discs without the need for a windows UDF 2.5 driver, thus allowing you to rip the discs. I have done both from Windows 2000, where I don't think there is a UDF 2.5 driver.

Are you using Daemon Tools Lite?
Yes (and also magic iso mounting tool)
That wasn't the point of my question. :) It's not necessary at ALL unless you want to see the files from explorer. AnyDVD has its own, PowerDVD has its own. If you do have it installed, try removing it temporarily (see here for uninstall instructions), reboot, and see if the ISOs play that were having issues before. I doubt it, but, I want to rule out all possibilities here.
I remember that I had the same problem in another installation where no UDF driver was installed. So this is not the cause of the problem.

As mentioned before, I believe that the ‘missing directories’ is the key.

Last edited:
Yes (and also magic iso mounting tool)

I remember that I had the same problem in another installation where no UDF driver was installed. So this is not the cause of the problem.

As mentioned before, I believe that the ‘missing directories’ is the key.

well why dont you go ahead and try re ripping the disc with all the files left in and see if that helps if that the case if it is you got alot of work to do on re-ripping oyur movies or you can stay with power dvd 7.3 and not worry about it but you will have problems with newer movies seeing that powerdvd 8 is out and there can only be but so many updates left for 7.3

I think i found the solution:

As mentioned in another forum (don't know if it is a good idea to post the link):

- in Root you also need a CERTIFICATE folder containing BACKUP folder
- in BDMV you also need a BDJO, JAR, and META folder
- in BACKUP you also need a BDJO folder

So all these folders seem to be necessary for normal BR playback in PDVD 8 while 7 seems not to care.

I think that some of ''folder'' rips don’t include all these folders so this could make sense.

I will try and revert
it works!

problem solved!

Excellent. Glad you got it worked out. I'll try to keep this in mind for the future if anyone else has this problem. Thanks for letting us know it worked!

I'm having the exact same issues actually. I think I am missing some of these folders as well....anyone know of a program out there to just add folders into these udf 2.5 isos? I just spent the last 2-3 days converting all my folders to isos to move up to 7.3 (3730) assuming it would work in 8.0 as well. And of course everything worked great in 7.3 but had problems in 8.0 as the OP suggested.....I'd hate to have to go back and redo every single iso. Thanks for any possible help on this subject.

Attempting to inject the files into the ISO is likely to cause all kinds of problems. You could try something like ISO Buster and see what happens but it's not likely to work well. But, you've got nothing to lose for trying.

you are right, I think I will just have 3730 play those files and in the future create the isos correctly for powerdvd 8. Thanks for everyone's help.

Back