• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AVR discussion

andy o

Why pay for the TruHD/DTS HD decoder twice (one in the player, one in the receiver)?
Well, it would be nice if they sold the high/midrange AVRs with the option to opt out of the "HD" decoding for cheaper, but alas, if you want the other features, you'll need to "pay" for the whole package.

Well, it would be nice if they sold the high/midrange AVRs with the option to opt out of the "HD" decoding for cheaper, but alas, if you want the other features, you'll need to "pay" for the whole package.
Both Dolby & DTS appreciate that. ;)

Get a cheap Onkyo 576 then. Highest it decodes is DD+. :)

I have an Onkyo Pro 885 that does a great job decoding HD formats. I think you all have it backwards. It is better to have the AVR do the decoding and then you do not have to buy components that decode.

At this point, my personal preference is to have everything bitstream. As much as I like my PC's. I do not trust the mixer, audio drivers, etc to pass the signal (digital though it may be) unmolested.

- Rich

At this point, my personal preference is to have everything bitstream. As much as I like my PC's. I do not trust the mixer, audio drivers, etc to pass the signal (digital though it may be) unmolested.
You're quite right - unfortunately they don't. But not the concept "let the player decode" is flawed - the current PC implementations are flawed.

Correct. The player COULD do it properly and should. SlyPlayer certainly will. My PS3 certainly does. TMT, PowerDVD, WinDVD...they do not. Until SlyPlayer is released, bitstreaming is our best option.

Hehe yeah they really screw the customer with the catch-22 options they put forward.

Another annoyance is that in order to get more inputs (say 4 HDMI, 3 component) you have to pay for receivers with massive power ratings. I don't want a 300w/channel receiver - I just want more inputs - but you can't have one without the other! :mad:

On the subject of logical responsibility.. it shouldn't be the receivers job to amplify either ;)

It should merely route inputs/outputs from sources to display and speakers.. the speaker system should decide what frequency cutoffs and amplification to apply based on a digital input.

Right now we all have a situation where the amp has no control over the subwoofer crossover which is incorrect, and speakers just get what they are given and rely on simple analog crossovers.

But then.. people already have a hard enough time running 1 cable to their speakers, let alone power AND data lines :)

Okay so I'm ranting totally off topic now.. Bring on SlyPlayer to shut me up! :agree:

Hehe yeah they really screw the customer with the catch-22 options they put forward.

Another annoyance is that in order to get more inputs (say 4 HDMI, 3 component) you have to pay for receivers with massive power ratings. I don't want a 300w/channel receiver - I just want more inputs - but you can't have one without the other! :mad:

On the subject of logical responsibility.. it shouldn't be the receivers job to amplify either ;)

It should merely route inputs/outputs from sources to display and speakers.. the speaker system should decide what frequency cutoffs and amplification to apply based on a digital input.

Right now we all have a situation where the amp has no control over the subwoofer crossover which is incorrect, and speakers just get what they are given and rely on simple analog crossovers.

But then.. people already have a hard enough time running 1 cable to their speakers, let alone power AND data lines :)

Okay so I'm ranting totally off topic now.. Bring on SlyPlayer to shut me up! :agree:

If you're being serious, I think you're going overboard with this. Having integrated hardware actually makes the stuff cheaper and more convenient, doesn't it? If you run any kind of "data" line to the speakers, what do you run? The PCM signal? Whatever you run, you're just moving the electronics from the AVR/amp to the speaker, making them more expensive.

Receivers I think do a good job of having all necessary stuff integrated. Routing, DSP, D/A and amp. Decoders are extra stuff, and sometimes redundant.

If you're being serious, I think you're going overboard with this. Having integrated hardware actually makes the stuff cheaper and more convenient, doesn't it? If you run any kind of "data" line to the speakers, what do you run? The PCM signal? Whatever you run, you're just moving the electronics from the AVR/amp to the speaker, making them more expensive.

Receivers I think do a good job of having all necessary stuff integrated. Routing, DSP, D/A and amp. Decoders are extra stuff, and sometimes redundant.

Ahaha yeah it's overboard. The model in use currently prevails because its simple and cheap, and the gains from digital speakers aren't huge enough to justify the price/complexity.

But a number of companies (eg meridian already make digital loudspeakers.

Those aren't digital loudspeakers actually. They just moved the electronics to the speakers (unnecessarily, IMO, unless they have some dedicated stuff like room correction).

These are digital speakers.

The concept is simple; the least significant bit drives a tiny speaker driver, of whatever physical design is chosen; a value of "1" causes this driver to be driven full amplitude, a value of "0" causes it to be off. This allows for high efficiency in the amplifier, which at any time is either passing zero current, or required to drop the output voltage by zero volts, therefore in a theoretical ideal amplifier dissipating no power as heat at any time. The next least significant bit drives a speaker of twice the area (most often, but not necessarily, a ring around the previous driver), again to either full amplitude, or off. The next least significant bit drives a speaker of twice this area, and so on.

Other approaches are possible. For example instead of doubling the area of the next most significant diaphragm segment, it could simply be driven so it stroked twice as far. The digital priniciple of operation and attendant amplifier efficiency benefits would remain.

Those aren't digital loudspeakers actually. They just moved the electronics to the speakers (unnecessarily, IMO, unless they have some dedicated stuff like room correction).

These are digital speakers.

Yeah I know of those 'digital' speakers.. Though they are no in way digital - they still take analog amplified inputs. A better term for them would be 'binary' speakers. ;)

Well, what do you think binary is a sequence of?

By the way, it just came to me something that I found interesting. Richard Dawkins writing about DNA and genes, makes the extraordinary, but quite evident if you think about it, point that we animals and all life in general are "digital" beings, seeing as our code is based on discrete bits of information as well.

Last edited:
Well, what do you think binary is a sequence of?

By the way, it just came to me something that I found interesting. Richard Dawkins writing about DNA and genes, makes the extraordinary, but quite evident if you think about it, point that we animals and all life in general are "digital" beings, seeing as our code is based on discrete bits of information as well.

Ahhh.. now we're finding ourselves waaay off topic. In the woods behind the meadow behind the original path we were on. I love it! :p

It is indeed possible that we live in a digital universe.. but then, you could argue everything is analog too..

Something I find interesting regarding our 'code'.. people talk about how complex the human genome is, but if there's only 3 billion base pairs, and there are only 4 combinations of said pairs, then you could record the entire genome (uncompressed) in about 750mb of storage.. you could fit the raw genome on a CD!

ah, but quantum reality seems to be anything but discrete. It's inherently fuzzy.

BTW, I signed up to have my genome sequenced. Hope they call me back!

Way off-topic... sorry! :D

Can hdmi receivers apply room correction to LPCM streams?
Or only bitstreamed?

If a receiver could only apply processing to encoded audio, and not to straight PCM.. It would be a truly awful receiver.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me - they're pretty much all awful.

I have used an Onkyo 606 and a Pioneer VSX-01 and both of them apply room correction for all digital audio. I don't see why they would do otherwise. Encoded audio has to be equalized after decoding to LPCM anyway. I can see that analog audio won't be equalized/room-corrected, but not digital.

Like fuzz! said, it would be a really awful receiver, though I'd like to know how they're pretty much all awful. I think they're pretty good, except for Harman Kardons.

I hope so also... I chose HD-DVD in a big way, and have over 200 disks.

I have quite a few too - I would love HD-DVD support. I'd be happy with Open->Disc just playing the main title.

No menu support needed (although right click to pick another title would be nice).

Unless they change AnyDvd HD to AnyDvd BD and follow the PowerDvd path of ignoring HD-DVD, then hopefully we will still see support for the format.

You guys missed the very next post (and subsequent ones) to DLaD's post quoted by 73ChargerFan:
Movie playback *is* (erm, will be) supported. Just no menus.

I have used an Onkyo 606 and a Pioneer VSX-01 and both of them apply room correction for all digital audio. I don't see why they would do otherwise. Encoded audio has to be equalized after decoding to LPCM anyway. I can see that analog audio won't be equalized/room-corrected, but not digital.

Like fuzz! said, it would be a really awful receiver, though I'd like to know how they're pretty much all awful. I think they're pretty good, except for Harman Kardons.

That's not entirely accurate. Unless you go into the 8xx series, the 606 does not apply Audyssey above 48hz. It's one of the things that annoy me about the Onkyo, tbh. But, as most films don't go above 48 anyway, it's not really an issue. It was only a real issue when I was using my ATI 4850 and had the thing set for 96. I wasn't getting any Audyssey at all during that time which is why it didn't sound as good as my PS3 to me. Now I know better.

Hey, I told you that! Anyway, you're right, I shouldn't have said "all" digital audio (though for the Pio it is). By "all", I meant codec formats though, not sampling rate and such.

Back