• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

SlySoft Player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes but a player with such an option wouldn't change refresh rate mid-play.. it would do so before playback begins.
I was describing what Reclock does, not what is ideal. But you are right this would be preferable, although the Reclock way works fine here with pstrip.

Sounds like James has some idea for SlyPlayer, which is good, although it may not be so easy. Reclock takes time to determine the frame rate sometimes. It seems it is not always a matter of just reading a parameter out of the file. So playback might have to start before the frame rate is known and it could cause extra delay stopping and rebuilding the graph? Hopefully not.

Last edited:
Keep SlyPlayer as simple as possible.

If this player is ever going to see the light of day, we want it to be clean and simple, and focused on HD material. There's not a lot of need for post-processing or deinterlacing in 24p HD material, so why add it to this player?

If you want all this post processing nonsense, then use another player for your non-HD stuff. Or spend a couple grand on a video processor so all your material will benefit, no matter what source.

But SlyPlayer, IMO, should focus on the huge need in the market, which is a solid, simple player for 24p HD material, allowing untouched PCM, and perhaps bitstreaming, over commodity hardware.

Done.

If this player is ever going to see the light of day, we want it to be clean and simple, and focused on HD material. There's not a lot of need for post-processing or deinterlacing in 24p HD material, so why add it to this player?

If you want all this post processing nonsense, then use another player for your non-HD stuff. Or spend a couple grand on a video processor so all your material will benefit, no matter what source.

But SlyPlayer, IMO, should focus on the huge need in the market, which is a solid, simple player for 24p HD material, allowing untouched PCM, and perhaps bitstreaming, over commodity hardware.

Done.

Agreed. It also helps get it shipped :p

- Rich

Agreed. It also helps get it shipped :p

- Rich

3rd'd

Better to produce a focused product that does what is NEEDED extremely well, then support dozens of features that may or may not be used. This extendeds development time or reduces the overall quality of the product.

Basic needs first, add features over time. Standard GOOD development model. I'm sure Slysoft knows how that game is played judging by the quality of their software. ;)

Done.

I agree:agree:

I hope so also... I chose HD-DVD in a big way, and have over 200 disks.

Thank you for everything you do, James.

I have quite a few too - I would love HD-DVD support. I'd be happy with Open->Disc just playing the main title.

No menu support needed (although right click to pick another title would be nice).

I have quite a few too - I would love HD-DVD support. I'd be happy with Open->Disc just playing the main title.

No menu support needed (although right click to pick another title would be nice).
Unless they change AnyDvd HD to AnyDvd BD and follow the PowerDvd path of ignoring HD-DVD, then hopefully we will still see support for the format.

James was a "diehard" supporter back in the day, so presumably he has lots of HD-DVDs that he would want the SlyPlayer to work with ;)

Who cares about the fluff, as long as the movie works? I have never used any features from HD-DVD or BD interactive discs beyond the movie, and it is a total waste of time and effort for the studios and anybody who has to work it into their software, IMHO. How long will these websites be operational, and why can't you just visit them outside the movie "experience" if they float your boat?

Reminds me of the buzz about WebTV and interactive TV programming back in the day - that died a quick death because if you are watching a TV show, why would you want to interrupt it by visiting a website? Apparently, nobody did....

And don't even get me started on the InterActual player or its variants like InfiniFilm :mad:

Last edited:
Ah, one thing I do use the menu for is to change audio from default DD+ to True-HD.

Presumably the SlyPlayer would be defaulting to TrueHD when available in your language. Surely... at the very least a Right Click->Audio Tracks->Booyah!

Presumably the SlyPlayer would be defaulting to TrueHD when available in your language. Surely... at the very least a Right Click->Audio Tracks->Booyah!

Being able to set default Audio streams in preference would be nice. (DTS-MA then TrueHd then LPCM then DD+, then DTS/AC3...etc...)

And right-click -> Title would do for episodic HD-DVD discs.

Can hdmi receivers apply room correction to LPCM streams?
Or only bitstreamed?

Well...

...if they give the ability to plug in one or two Directshow filters you could do the Room Correction using Convolver Plugin.

Wow.
If Slysoft can produce the software that will finally allow us to simply play a bluray and not have anything- I mean anything screw with the audio stream going out an Asus Xonar HDMI port on it sway to a meridian sound processor, well, they will have my money. :rock::rock:

This SlyPlayer is definitely good news! Free is even better! However, I think it would be nice if we could get full menu support plus other things like PIP. I can understand that that would be a bit much to ask out of free software so how about making two versions: the free one does all of the basic playback and then a pay version which allows you to do all the other stuff (except probably online stuff).

I had to register just to voice my approval of this excellent development.

I searched the thread and didn't see anything, but will there be Dolby Headphone? I like this feature in PowerDVD.

If it's not built in, could it be done if you have the DLL on your system? I remember there was a plugin for foobar, and you would point the program to the location of the DLL.

regardless of the free promise. i will definitley be donating if this player delivers

I searched the thread and didn't see anything, but will there be Dolby Headphone? I like this feature in PowerDVD.

If it's not built in, could it be done if you have the DLL on your system? I remember there was a plugin for foobar, and you would point the program to the location of the DLL.

You know, I think that's the only acceptable (and pretty good too) headphone virtualization processing available. It's very well done and the only thing better I've heard is holophonics, but that's not practical. I guess not many people watch movies with headphones, but I also think Dolby has done an awful job at marketing. The only device that does DH (and seemingly discontinued) is the JVC SU-DH1, besides the C-Media-based computer audio cards. There were others, but either came integrated with headphones (Pioneer) or were very hard to get and had only a fleeting existence.

So anyway, yes, I'd be all for this option. Foobar 2000 can tap into the DH dll from Cyberlink, maybe Slyplayer can do the same?

By the way, Cyberlink does it wrong (surprise, surprise) for TrueHD. It is supposed to decode in multichannel first, then feed the multichannel audio to the DH processing, which would convert it to stereo. With TrueHD, PowerDVD "tells" the decoder that you're using headphones, hence the decoder decodes in 2-channel mode, screwing the multichannel DH processing. This has been a bug forever with ALL versions I've tried that do HD-DVD and bluray.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back