• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Please Read AnyStream for Linux (updated to support more Linux distributions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@eltruncho you can make the cat and file abuse smaller like this:
Code:
# Returns filename of latest .deb
# Also you need curl -L because forum.redfox.bz returns HTTP 301/302, we need to follow up on a response that gives us useful text
latest_deb=$(curl -L https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/anystream-for-linux-updated-to-support-more-linux-distributions.87060/ | grep -Eo "(http|https)://[a-zA-Z0-9./?=_-]*(.deb)" | sort -u | sed -r 's|.*/(.*)$|\1|' | sort -r | head -1)
# Here's one to extract just the version, which is what I'm after ;)
# latest_version=$(echo ${latest_deb} | awk -F '_' '{print $2}')

im running on Manjaro and cant seem to get it installed i did manage to get it using wine but cannot log into all the streams

Bash:
[tim@Xonn ~]$ cd AnyStream
[tim@Xonn AnyStream]$ tar -xf anystream_1.5.2.8.tar.xz
tar: anystream_1.5.2.8.tar.xz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

Last edited by a moderator:
This is great news! Is there any way to politely query your server on what is the latest version?
Once the Linux version is "official", we'll provide a URL with all info needed (in JSON ?). We might keep same release number for all OS version (Windows, Linux [,and soon OSx]).

We already provide "old school" (last century) PAD files (see Wikipedia) in XML: https://www.redfox.bz/padfiles.html
... and last not lease a changelog: https://download.redfox.bz/download/changes_anystream.txt

im running on Manjaro and cant seem to get it installed i did manage to get it using wine but cannot log into all the streams

Bash:
tar: anystream_1.5.2.8.tar.xz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

Looks like you forgot to download the .tar.xz file after cd AnyStream - No file, no luck:
Bash:
wget https://download.redfox.bz/download/sandbox/anystream_1.5.2.8.tar.xz

Looks like you forgot to download the .tar.xz file after cd AnyStream - No file, no luck:
Bash:
wget https://download.redfox.bz/download/sandbox/anystream_1.5.2.8.tar.xz[/

sorry i guess the copy and paste didnt work right for my last message. i redid the install and this is the error i was getting
Bash:
[tim@Xonn AnyStream]$ wget https://download.redfox.bz/download/sandbox/anystream_1.5.2.8.tar.xz
--2023-04-21 15:32:25--  https://download.redfox.bz/download/sandbox/anystream_1.5.2.8.tar.xz
Loaded CA certificate '/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt'
Resolving download.redfox.bz (download.redfox.bz)... 2a00:1dc0:2451:30::dd, 178.175.131.140
Connecting to download.redfox.bz (download.redfox.bz)|2a00:1dc0:2451:30::dd|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 105263600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: ‘anystream_1.5.2.8.tar.xz’

anystream_1.5.2.8.t 100%[===================>] 100.39M  18.7MB/s    in 8.1s   

2023-04-21 15:32:36 (12.3 MB/s) - ‘anystream_1.5.2.8.tar.xz’ saved [105263600/105263600]

[tim@Xonn AnyStream]$ ./AnyStream
./AnyStream: error while loading shared libraries: libtiff.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Bash:
./AnyStream: error while loading shared libraries: libtiff.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Are you running a pretty new OS? So you might have newer libtiff.so.6 installed.

@Ken Johnson had the same issue and resolved it by creating a soft link:

So please try this:
Bash:
# create a softlink with admin rights
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtiff.so.6 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtiff.so.5

# then cd into AnyStream folder and start AnyStream
cd AnyStream
./AnyStream

Last edited:
Are you running a pretty new OS? So you might have newer libtiff.so.6 installed.

@Ken Johnson had the same issue and resolved it by creating a soft link:

So please try this:
Bash:
# create a softlink with admin rights
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtiff.so.6 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtiff.so.5

# then cd into AnyStream folder and start AnyStream
cd AnyStream
./AnyStream
that worked, thank you for your help. is there supposed to be a desktop icon or anystream to show up in all applications under menu? it seems i have to go into the file and double click on AnyStream to open it, also when i go to double click on my license key i get a message saying "the file AnyStreamPlus_Key_***-***.AnyStream" has no known programs associated with it. i can click choose a program but AnyStream is not listed

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-04-22 07-22-21.png
    Screenshot from 2023-04-22 07-22-21.png
    87.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot from 2023-04-22 07-24-16.png
    Screenshot from 2023-04-22 07-24-16.png
    68.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Please keep in mind that AnyStream for Linux is still beta and you installed AnyStream manually, as there is no package for Manjaro (yet).
You have to create the menu entry for the application also manually, but for an advanced nerd this should not be an issue.

First download an image for your icon and copy it to the Unix Shared Resources directory:
Bash:
wget https://www.redfox.bz/img/products/anystream-200.png
sudo cp anystream-200.png /usr/share/pixmaps/

Then create a .desktop file in ~/.local/share/applications
Bash:
gedit ~/.local/share/applications/redfox.anystream.desktop

... and paste this into the new file and save the file:
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Name=AnyStream
Exec=AnyStream/AnyStream
Icon=anystream-200.png
Type=Application
Terminal=false

You might have to change Exec=AnyStream/AnyStream to Exec=/home/xonn/AnyStream/AnyStream (replace "xonn" with your user home dir)

And voilà, you should find AnyStream with icon in your applications menu...

Last edited:
Please keep in mind that AnyStream for Linux is still beta and you installed AnyStream manually, as there is no package for Manjaro (yet).
You have to create the menu entry for the application also manually, but for an advanced nerd this should not be an issue.

Tut! Advanced nerds launch their programs from xterm, and that's when they're being lazy :p

#0 20.81 No such schema “org.gnome.shell”
Why is all of a sudden dependencies on Gnome added? 1.5.2.8 installed flawlessly over the previous version.
The reason is simply because I wanted to add the application to favorites, at least for the gnome shell for the user's convenience (I know, "convenience" is not really a word, Linux users use or even know). It should fail silently, if it doesn't exist, it wasn't meant to fail entirely.
I'll see how I can fix that. It's not a real "dependency" at all.

When I started AS from the command prompt on Gentoo, I did get a bit of error(?)/debug output... Not sure whether any of this is worthy of dev attention.
No, it's not - you'll always get some of that, if you start AnyStream from the console, nothing really to worry about.

On windows i have this problem sometimes but AS restart solve problem .... but on linux it's not resolving issue ...
Sometimes, AnyStream doesn't get the signal, that a page has loaded completely, that's an occasional bug in the underlying framework.
Maybe we can add some sort of timeout, that will release the UI, if that completion notification goes missing.

Reading through I didn't see anything about this. For some reason I can not type in a # for a password. I am going to change said password to remove the character but thought I would let you know about the bug.
Wow, interesting find. I didn't notice this, indeed, '#' is not recognized. Mapping the keyboard to the browser interface is a bit difficult with Linux (and also Max OS X), but I didn't expect a problem with such an ordinary key. Will fix...

Now.... regarding those installers...
I'm a bit of an amateur, when it comes to Linux. It's an operating system that demands a lot of time spent on little things, I find it quite frustrating most of the time.

So... I'm grateful for additional input.
It's a really difficult task to create a pre-compiled GUI application, that is supposed to run on the most part of this zoo of different Linux distributions and versions.

First, I'll go through some of your input, a lot if interesting things:
There is a version that is done manually by opening an executable file. That's why it was my question.
Yes, sorry - the whole deployment process so far is not fully automated, the different release packages need to be done manually and it's an insanely time-consuming process. Therefore, during this beta, I'm only releasing the most-relevant-for-testing parts. The "flat" installer was basically to see on what distributions AnyStream in its current form will run at all.
o as long as you can unpack it (7-zip supports debs/rpms), it'd effectively be the same as a tar package.
That's a very good point, thanks, maybe we can add a sticky with this (and maybe other related Linux howtos).

If I can offer a friendly suggestion, how about packaging AnyStream Linux as either a Flatpak or AppImage. The devs won't need to worry about supporting 50 different distros and the end users won't need to worry about ending up in dependency hell. Just my $0.02.
I know nothing about Flatpak, but I did give AppImage a try and was not very successful with it.
From my understanding, AppImage will not magically remove worries about supporting 50 different distros, we still have to consider them all independently with all their little "it's nice to be different" celebrations. What it would do, though, would give us a single file for users to download.
That file would be pretty large, though, because it needs to pack many distro/version-specific files, that other users don't need.
Anyway: the AppImage builder gave me many, many non-descriptive errors and crashes along the way, because it itself requires a big amount of dependencies with certain versions, etc.... and at some point I decided, I don't have the time right now to fix their tool. (EDIT: isn't there an AppImage of an AppImage builder, if it's such a magical, care-free thing, wouldn't that be the logical choice?)
Sometime I may go back to it.

anystream depends on libtiff5 (>= 4.0.3); however:
Package libtiff5 is not installed.

Currently Debian 12 runs libtiff-6.

This is one of the most annoying problems - and, as far as I can tell, could be avoided altogether with a different philosophy applied when creating and maintaining these libraries, but that's nothing we have control over.
On newer distributions, older versions of these libs often are not available anymore, at least not through the official channels.
There are three ways to tackle this, that I can think of:
  1. what you did - create a link and pretend it's the same lib (this may not always work, assuming, that there was a reason to change the lib version - I'm not really sure, there always is)
  2. manually download the proper library from some source or package it right into the application's directory (can bite you, if that lib again requires other dependencies, that are no longer available)
  3. link it statically - this is what I have done with other libraries, that similarly were inconsistently available through different Linux installations. Drawbacks are a slightly larger application size and no chance to benefit from updates to that library. The latter can also be seen as an advantage, because the less an application depends on "volatile" dependencies (like updates, that broke something), the less pain of the type "I can't reproduce your problem, works fine for me" you get.

So.... I hope, this describes some of the major thoughts on installers and such.

Now this:
For RedFox Developer :

My Dockerfile is not public, as i don't known if you disagree with my packaging of AnyStream....
Please if there is a problem contact me via PM and i will make my repository private and for my exclusive usage. Or if you want make an official docker, i can share my dockerfile with you directly.
Sure! Whatever helps users to be able to easily install the software.
But I don't want to put the pressure on you, having to keep this up-to-date all the time.

Last edited:
It's a really difficult task to create a pre-compiled GUI application, that is supposed to run on the most part of this zoo of different Linux distributions and versions.
On the risk of getting stoned to death by Tux fan's: you might have opened a bottomless pit with the release of a Linux version 😉
*taking cover*

On the risk of getting stoned to death by Tux fan's: you might have opened a bottomless pit with the release of a Linux version 😉
*taking cover*

gotta love the linux-distro philosophy:

1. Windows is DLL-hell
  2. Statically linked binaries are bad (mainly self-induced harm due to inept programming practice)
  3. Dawn of distro dependency hell
  4. AppImage (essentially back to point (2) while making life of developers hell)

What brain-dead monkeys think of junk like that?!

DLL/dylib/so vs. static linkage: both have pros and cons.
The way Linux distributors handle it, makes it hard to reliably bake binaries, that should work on most installations.

Dynamically linking is great for interfacing with the system. It's also great, as long as a library has a dependable interface. But that's not a given (see that stupid "libtiff.so.5 vs. 6 problem, entirely unnecessary).
Statically linking can waste more space but has a HUGE (I can't emphasize this enough) advantage: reproducibility. My installation does what yours does. It's the same code. As few volatile dependencies as possible.
Dynamic linkage, a lot of the time, ends up in people asking for help, developers not being able to reproduce the problem and at some point giving up, leaving it to the user to "fix their rig", or install updates of this or that, or even downgrades, because they simply can't help.

AnyStream is statically linked to Qt (there's no alternative to that, in this case it even drastically reduces the size of the installation), the Windows version also links to the runtime statically. It's the best way to go. It's a different story for tools, that come with a distribution. They are tailored to the system-at-hand anyway.
This way we're not spending half of our time discussing "what version of openssl do you have installed?" when trying to get to the bottom of connection failures.
If something's wrong with our code, we fix it and everyone gets the benefit. After all AnyStream, due to its nature, needs to be updated regularly anyway.

Please try version 1.5.3.1
It should fix the remaining keyboard issues (copy&paste, as well as the dead '#' key).

AnyStream 1.5.2.9 worked ok but 1.5.3.1 throws the following error on Lubuntu 22.04LTS:

AnyStream
AnyStream: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

OpenSSL 3.0.2-0ubuntu1.9 is installed but not OpenSSL 1.1. How can i solve this? ln to libssl.so.1.1 and libcrypto.so.1.1 generates

ln -s libssl.so libssl.so.1.1
Bash:
root@Emby:/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu# ln -s libcrypto.so libcrypto.so.1.1
root@Emby:/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu# AnyStream
AnyStream: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so.1.1: version `OPENSSL_1_1_0' not found (required by AnyStream)
AnyStream: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.1: version `OPENSSL_1_1_1' not found (required by AnyStream)
AnyStream: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.1: version `OPENSSL_1_1_0' not found (required by AnyStream)

Solved:
Bash:
wget [URL]http://nz2.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/o/openssl/libssl1.1_1.1.1f-1ubuntu2.18_amd64.deb[/URL]
sudo dpkg -i libssl1.1_1.1.1f-1ubuntu2.18_amd64.deb

Similar error on gentoo, except it's with libjpeg...

Bash:
ln -s libjpeg.so /usr/lib64/libjpeg.so.8
rpimonitrbtch@obfuscated-machine-name:~$ AnyStream
AnyStream: /usr/lib64/libjpeg.so.8: version `LIBJPEG_8.0' not found (required by /usr/lib/AnyStream/libtiff.so.5)
Seems gentoo uses libjpeg-turbo, and that only advertises the LIBJPEG_6.2 api. This might be harder to fix... (of course, libjpeg-turbo has a configure-option to enable 8.0 compat, but the gentoo package has no USE flag for it)

Also, had to add another symlink for libjbig.so
Bash:
ln -s libjbig.so /usr/lib64/libjbig.so.0

Operating System: Fedora 38

AnyStream 1.5.2.9 was executable.
ldd shows the dependency to /usr/lib64/libjpeg.so.62.3.0

AnyStream 1.5.3.2 startup failed.
The outdated library libjpeg.so.8 is missing. A compatibility package for this version of the library does not exist for Fedora.

Will the next update be delivered with the current library support again?

Operating System: Fedora 38

Steps to solve the installation issues on Fedora 38 as root user:
Bash:
dnf install openssl1.1
ln -s /usr/lib64/libjbig.so.2.1 /usr/lib64/libjbig.so.0

Old libjpeg version for fedora are available on copr.fedorainfracloud.org.
Create a new file '/etc/yum.repos.d/copr-libjpeg.repo with following content:

Code:
name=Copr repo for libjpeg owned by aflyhorse
baseurl=https://download.copr.fedorainfracloud.org/results/aflyhorse/libjpeg/fedora-$releasever-$basearch/
type=rpm-md
skip_if_unavailable=True
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=https://download.copr.fedorainfracloud.org/results/aflyhorse/libjpeg/pubkey.gpg
repo_gpgcheck=0
enabled=1
enabled_metadata=1

Bash:
dnf install libjpeg8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back