AnyDVD Ripper from the command-line

Discussion in 'AnyDVD HD (Blu-ray issues)' started by testiles, Jan 19, 2020.

1. testiles

testiles Well-Known Member

I know this question must have been asked before, but searching the Forum is not turning up my exact situation...

I was wondering if I can call any of the .exe's in the AnyDVD application folder to launch the Blu-ray "Rip to Image" function "from the command line"?

I'm thinking I would need to provide as parameters the Blu-Ray drive letter to rip from, whether Protected or Unprotected and the Destination folder and it would kick off the AnyDVD rip (from a bat file).

If not available, is this something that might happen in the future?

I'm setting up a central place to easily launch all my media-related tasks like ripping CD's and creating mkv's. I'd like to add a script that launches the AnyDVD .iso rip I use so often as well...

T

2. coopervid

coopervid Well-Known Member

3. James

James Redfox Development Team Staff Member

You can use any "disk imaging tool" from the command line for unprotected images.

4. testiles

Hi coopervid.

Thanks.

I saw this thread in my search earlier, but it seems to set up an automatic rip when you insert a disc. I'm definitely not looking to do that - if I mount a disc it's not necessarily to rip it...

I wrote a little Java program to have a central place to kick off rips when I do them. It basically asks what drive and what kind of rip (and to where) and launches a .bat file to get it done.

I was looking for a way to write a bat file that this program could launch that would kick off the AnyDVD Rip To Image.

Hey James.

Actually I've already set that up, a script to create an unprotected .iso.

I forgot to say it but I was looking for a way to kick off Rip To Image to create a protected .iso, which is actually my preference.

Any possibilities?

T

5. James

No, but I will put it on my todo list. It is a good idea.

whatever_gong82 and SamuriHL like this.
  6. testiles

That is completely awesome, James.

Cannot wait to try it. :=)

T

7. testiles

Hi James!

I'm wrapping up my Java program to generate rips and was wondering if you've given any further thought to the "command line" AnyDVD Rip To Image tool.

I would really love to add Rip To (Protected) Image to its suite of automated rips as it would make this home-made Rip Generator the most useful for me - and complete!

I'm sure a lot of others would use it as well.

T

8. James

Thoughts - yes, indeed. It isn't as easy to implement as I first thought it would be.

9. testiles

Ugh!

Do you think it will at least be do-able?

T

10. James

Maybe. :D

11. testiles

Ok!

I have fingers and toes crossed! :p:eek::LOL:

T

12. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Retired Moderator

I would be VERY nice to have. ;)

13. PrimalNaCl

PrimalNaCl Member

I seem to recall when I first started getting into this when it was SlySoft, that the rip to image feature was discouraged. I don't recall the reason, but I do recall running into some corrupted images being the impetus for the search that led to the contrary recommendation.

I ended up going w/imgburn as that has commandline options. As I'm not a fan of DOS shell, I installed cygwin and wrote a bash script that initially forks an imgburn process for each of the drives I had configured (11) and, later, after I consolidated to a nimbie (imgburn supports robots) just that unit. So, now, I just load the hopper on the nimbie and run the script. The nimbie loads a disc, anydvd does its thing, imgburn pulls the name from the title and it all writes to a network share. Rinse, lather, repeat until all the discs in the hopper are empty.

14. SamuriHL

Rip to image was only ever discouraged for DVD images. For blu-ray, a lot of us were doing images from the very beginning. Yes, you can use ImgBurn and we have scripts that do that in various ways. But AnyDVD's rip to image function has some benefits and being able to script it is useful.

15. testiles

Sounds like a great set-up.

But this produces unprotected .iso's. I'm hoping to use the command-line Rip-To-Image to make protected ones.

T

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  16. SamuriHL

^^^ that's one of the benefits, yes. :)

17. PrimalNaCl

PrimalNaCl Member

To be clear, I wasn't trying to diminish the FR. More options/flexibility the better.

I'm curious, though, beyond true 1:1 (i.e. intact encrypted status), what benefit(s)? If the idea is merely a backup from which one could regenerate a transcode in case of badness, encryption is 'meh'. Even things that require a certain "moral flexibility" could still be done w/nonencrypted images. Again, what's the attraction? OCD?

18. PrimalNaCl

PrimalNaCl Member

Thanks.

That's true, but as I mentioned in my reply to SamuriHL, what's the attraction for keeping the encryption?

19. James

AnyDVD ripper has integrity checks, in case drivers or drives don't report errors. Yes, this happens, especially with "friendly" UHD drives.
    Protected images created with other tools will not work because of bus encryption.

SamuriHL likes this.
  20. SamuriHL

There's not any in my case. The idea of keeping protection isn't some idealistic thing. It's imperative because I only buy uhd. With uhd, title support isn't immediate, so, the need for a protected iso is one of necessity. Yes, I could keep putting the disc in every couple days to check for support, but I've found with uhd the less handling of the disc the better. Add to the equation that uhd has now started to use screen pass, then keeping the protected iso around until I can get to my end game of creating a mkv with clonebd is rather critical.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk