• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AI scanner: scan depths

Is this only on the ripper output? Does seeking work when you play the original disc with AnyDVD running?

EDIT:
Don't look further, both AnyDVD ripper and CloneDVD 2913 beta have a bug, destroying the time maps... :(
The Swissboys must have done that. We'll fix that ASAP.

Thank you for finding the problem!

Sure. By the way, Yes it was on the ripper output only (before using PGCEdit) and seeking worked ok with AnyDVD running. So, that explains why PGCEdit needed to rebuild the time maps, and why I could seek when playing the ripper output after PGCEdit repaired it. I'm guessing the time map bug may be what made the valid clip have a zero lenghth instead of the true 1.5 minutes it should've had - as I said PGCEdit found that when repairing the time maps. Again, in the end the PGCEdit output made the AnyDVD Ripper output work fine, and I'd be confident in burning it to DVD. It looks like the nasty protection glitches that have arisen on recent titles have indeed been addressed! I wait for updates before further testing.

Thanks again.

1. Please ensure logging is disabled in Anydvd 6.3.0.8. This is very important.

2. Ensure the A.I. scanner is set to default.

3. Check to ensure you're using the latest update for your version of Powerdvd.

4. Ensure "Remove annoying adverts and trailers" is disabled.

Affirmative on all of those - i.e. my experiment was done in compliance with your four suggestions. Anyway, it seems related to the bug that James found in the deletion of the time maps.

Concerning Shoot 'Em Up, Title 33 is just a bogus titleset. Nothing to worry about. I'm told even if you remove it, the backup still works fine: "Title 4 appears to be a duplicate of of the beginning of Title 1 - Chapter 1 of the movie and Title 33 appears to be nothing"
I'm pretty sure that as far as Slysoft is concerned the Shoot 'Em Up extra/bogus titles stuff is a non-issue, but it is possible the new Clonedvd beta removes some of the extra/duplicate non-referenced junk.

Thanks. Yes, I realize that 33 was bogus, but PGCEdit warned about title 3 being in the same VTS as title 1, and that it may not be legit per DVD specs. However, after it adjusted the time maps, I saw that there was no longer a PGC labeled "title 3." I encountered a similar PGCEdit warning with WAR and ignored it, and the copy played fine. I was merely pointing out that PGCEdit didn't issue this warning on the 6.3.0.1 AnyDVD Ripper output, indicating that it might have been better in eliminating structure protection remnants than 6.3.0.8, but I now think it's possible that even this was due to the time map bug. I'll re-test when it get's squashed.

Last edited:
Affirmative on all of those - i.e. my experiment was done in compliance with your four suggestions. Anyway, it seems related to the bug that James found in the deletion of the time maps.

Yes, the time maps bug is valid. Thank you for finding it.

However, after it adjusted the time maps, I saw that there was no longer a PGC labeled "title 3."

Yeah, it's possible a new Clonedvd update may address this; I'm not sure.

Either way, based on people's observations from the 2.9.1.2 backup, those titlesets that I mentioned earlier being present (or not) on the backup do not affect playback.

Last edited:
Hi Fordman: I was debating about posting about this issue. I guess for the last week or so, I started looking at the output of AnyDVD Ripper with PGCEdit on a regular basis. Not that I have any issue with making backups, just more of a curiosity. Sometimes, I compare the output with that of DVDFab. In all cases, the output of AnyDVD Ripper causes PGCEdit to report bad time maps, and I go on to rebuild them, etc. I don't go any further because, quite frankly, I have no clue as to what I am doing and I do not see an effect one way or another.

I figured that one more observation can't hurt.

Hi HAMsmoke. I highly recommend you use PGCEdit on EVERY rip you do. With the advent of the sophisiticated protection we see on a regular basis, the remnants of it are bound to remain in the ripped output from any program. CloneDVD does a decent job of cleaning it up by what appears to be a "reauthoring" of the DVD, though it leaves some of its own junk behind. For example, I've found that CloneDVD does the following:

1. Removes the original layer break flag. There is no option to leave it in place (AnyDVD Ripper leaves it alone). I use CloneDVD to clean up DVD protection remnants and remove user prohibitied operation flags (sometimes removing all negatively affects DVD playback), and want to burn it back to DVD with the layer break at the same point in the movie, and it helps to have the flag in place ahead of time when you burn it. Some applications like IMGBurn will allow you to add it at the time of burning, but seeing the "NO" under the SPLIP column in the IMGBurn choice window helps spot the original location.

2. Often seems to re-author with 8 audio streams and 32 subtitle streams reserved. These won't show up when playing back the DVD on a standalone player, but will show up as "grayed out" selection in software players like PowerDVD and WinDVD.

PGCEdit will allow you to re-set the layer break flag to the original location, will eliminate the bogus audio and subtitle streams, etc. It's menu editor is also very good, allowing you to make menu buttons unavailable for any title you may have removed in CloneDVD. Also, it's "Jump to PGC upon DVD insert" function appears more robust than the AnyDVD "jump to" options, as it tracks all the register values that may have changed when one navigates through normally, and alters the code to ensure that they are set identically when you jump directly to a particular menu or title. I also found this function invaluable to remove that widescreen/fullscreen selection menu after I've ripped one version from a movie that had both versions on a single dual layer disc. This allows me to record on a single layer disc and the selection menu is never shown, so it's a seamless change....

It took me awhile and some google searching to get somewhat adept at it, though there are still some features that I haven't experimented with. It's worth it, so allow it to modify your files before burning, and do a web search if you have any questions. Also, if you have PGCEdit make backups of your altered files, recommend you move that directory before burning so it does not get inserted into the DVD structure! Also, I highly recommend ImgBurn for burning, especially for dual layer copies...

@fordman,

New Anydvd and Clonedvd betas are out now, if you're interested.

@ fordman

Your comments are invaluable - thanks for taking the time for a quick explanation. In the past (say more than 2 weeks ago - things change fast), I would use Clone CD/AnyDVD to make the dual layer backup, however, and more recently, I use AnyDVD Ripper/ImgBurn as the suggested method with newer protection scheme is to use AnyDVD Ripper first.

Also - not meaning to be off topic for too long - what is your opinion on changing the layer break to "seamless" in PGCEdit?

@ Webslinger

Any comment about the choice of methodology mentioned above?

@ Webslinger

Any comment about the choice of methodology mentioned above?

If I weren't lazy, I would use Clonedvd to rip first (it's faster than Anydvd ripper) and also remove other stuff I don't want. Then I would use imgburn and probably create a new layer break position (and I might try to create a seamless layer break). Then burn with imgburn.

If I weren't lazy . . .

I use to do that stuff, and then I decided by the time I do all that nonsense, I'd rather be watching my Clonecd backup (that I may have possibly burned on the fly, which I don't recommend doing).

Last edited:
@fordman,

New Anydvd and Clonedvd betas are out now, if you're interested.

Thanks, Webslinger! Yes, I plan on experimenting, but likely won't get to it until tomorrow. I'm excited because after seeing the long list of titles that this update addresses, I expect that AnyDVD and its AI Scanner is now very robust. We are getting closer to a worry-free "no muss, no fuss" solution with these new protections...

@ fordman

Your comments are invaluable - thanks for taking the time for a quick explanation. In the past (say more than 2 weeks ago - things change fast), I would use Clone CD/AnyDVD to make the dual layer backup, however, and more recently, I use AnyDVD Ripper/ImgBurn as the suggested method with newer protection scheme is to use AnyDVD Ripper first.

Remember that when I'm referring to retaining the original layer break point, I meant the "logical" point within the DVD structure, and not the physical point on the burned disc. To do the latter, the CloneCD/AnyDVD combination is the way to go, but it leaves the remnants of the structure protection intact, e.g. on Shoot 'Em Up, the VIDEO_TS directory would show in excess of 11 gigabytes of files. Unless it is one of those really nasty protections that has shown playback issues on standalone DVD players, this is a perfectly acceptable solution for making a single backup.

I licensed the entire Slysoft Suite (before Game Jackal existed), so I have access to CloneDVD and CloneCD. Until recently I defaulted to CloneDVD/AnyDVD as my ripping solution, followed by PGCEdit and then ImgBurn. After recent observations with CloneDVD 2.9.1.2 removing valid parts of the DVD and reading posts recommending using AnyDVD Ripper for certain titles that CloneDVD was failing on, I too began using the AnyDVD Ripper instead of CloneDVD.

In summary, I like to take the time to remove the protection remanants, mainly to ensure that the title will play in any DVD player in the future. I also use ImgBurn’s custom file date and time feature to make them look as close to the original as possible, and the same with the volume label.

Also - not meaning to be off topic for too long - what is your opinion on changing the layer break to "seamless" in PGCEdit?

My recommendation is to NOT use this feature, and I think PGCEdit warns you of this also. As long as the original DVD author chose a good (i.e. between scenes) location for the layer break, you should never notice any pause when your player switches layers. According to what I’ve read, the primary purpose of the non-seamless flag that accompanies the physical layer break is to signal the player and allow it to buffer data prior to the layer change. Supposedly on some older DVD players if you played a DVD that lacked this flag, the player would hang when the layer break was reached, or would jump ahead once it did change layers. I personally don’t have any DVD players that have this issue, and before ImgBurn that handles this so well, I know I mastered some DVDs that did not have the flag and never saw any issues on any of my players.

It seems that the notion of seamless layer changes was popurlarized by the DVDs that were marketed as “Superbit” editions. Those versions were DVD standard compliant with the exception that they lacked a non-seamless flag for the layer break. Some people reported hang-ups with those on older players. Whenever I backed those up with DVD Decrypter I would delete the .MDS that contained the original layer break information (and the lack of the flag), and burn the ISO with ImgBurn, which would then insert the flag, making the copy DVD standard compliant. I’m not sure why newer players have fewer issues with seamless DVDs. Perhaps they have better/larger buffers?

In summary, I avoid that feature in PGCEdit, but if you have newer players that exhibit long pauses when the layer break is encountered and it annoys you, then you may benefit from using it. If you take the DVD somewhere to play it, you may have an issue depending on the player’s age…

Last edited:
Back