• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

A recent update broke AnyDVD running in a VM...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried an old installer for 6.5.8.7, and that fixes my problem too -- at least to the extent being stuck with an old version and not being able to take advantage of updates can be called "fixed".

OK, it's been stated that SlySoft does "not officially support" using a virtual PC. I'd like to get a response, however, from someone at SlySoft on how they feel about trying to fix this issue anyway. On the following scale, where does this problem that people using virtualization are experiencing rank?

1. High priority, we'd like to try to fix it soon.
2. We'll try to fix it when we can get around to it.
3. Indifferent. Compatibility with virtualization might come and go, we don't really care. Not worth our time to investigate or do QA tests to check.
4. Actively hostile to virtualization.

It's not 1, and I suspect it's not 2 either. Slysoft doesn't advertise support for what you're using. So, I don't really see why they would care at all.
I strongly suspect it's #3.

If you want an official response from Slysoft, then contact Slysoft: http://www.slysoft.com/contact.html

Slysoft employees are not obliged to respond nor read every single thread in what amounts predominately to a user to user support forum.

It seems to me that if Slysoft developers were interested, they would be responding more often to this thread.

It's not 1, and I suspect it's not 2 either. Slysoft doesn't advertise support for what you're using. So, I don't really see why they would care at all.
They don't advertise support for each and every model of PC out there either. A virtualized PC is just another kind of PC. My virtual PC matches (and exceeds) the stated requirements for the software:
  • IBM-compatible PC with a minimum 2 GHz Pentium-class microprocessor and 512 MB RAM
  • Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 (32 or 64 bit)
  • 4 MB hard disk space
  • For Blu-ray or HD DVD media, a Blu-ray or HD DVD compliant drive is required.
  • AnyDVD HD requires Windows 98 as the minimum OS for standard DVDs.
  • For HD decryption and ripping, the minimum OS is Windows 2000 (latest SP).
  • PC player software usually requires Windows XP SP2 as minumum OS.
If AnyDVD doesn't work on your Dell Inspiron, your HP Pavilion, or a PC you put together in your own case from separate components, would the answer also be, "Slysoft doesn't advertise support for what you're using" because none of those are specifically called out in the system requirements?

When you add the fact that an older version of AnyDVD works fine on a virtualized PC, and that the bug with the current version is as glaring as thinking a drive with a disc inserted, one that Windows clearly sees, is empty, there's good reason to suspect that whatever changed from one version of AnyDVD to the next might be a more generalized bug of some sort that warrants investigation.

Last edited:
I strongly suspect it's #3.
I would say it is somewhere between 2 & 3

It seems to me that if Slysoft developers were interested, they would be responding more often to this thread.
I don't need to post something to be interested. ;)

If AnyDVD doesn't work on your Dell Inspiron, your HP Pavilion, or a PC you put together in your own case from separate components, would the answer also be, "Slysoft doesn't advertise support for what you're using" because none of those are specifically called out in the system requirements?
The items you listed in your post are the minimum requirements, not the ONLY requirements. That's why we have standards in the PC industry. Standards help ensure that you can get HP or Dell (or roll your own) and as long as the hardware follows the standards, you can be relatively certain that software created following those standards will work. So it's a false argument to say that if something works on an HP or Dell, it should work in a virtualization environment.

When you add the fact that an older version of AnyDVD works fine on a virtualized PC, and that the bug with the current version is as glaring as thinking a drive with a disc inserted, one that Windows clearly sees, is empty, there's good reason to suspect that whatever changed from one version of AnyDVD to the next might be a more generalized bug of some sort that warrants investigation.
I'm sure if it was a bug, Slysoft would be working to fix it. Who knows, maybe they are. The fact is that we don't know. What i'm pretty confident in stating however is that Slysoft definitely knows more than we do about how Slysoft works, what it needs to work, and what security measures need to be in place to protect their intellectual property.

Instead of trying to run windows in a virtual environment, why not just dual boot windows. If you're running linux, you obviously have an X86 compatible PC, so just dual boot windows. A copy of XP can be purchased for less than the cost of AnyDVD HD.

If you're running a mac computer, then it's just too bad. You wouldn't get mad at DVD manufacturers because they don't make DVDs that play in your toaster. So likewise, just realize that having a PC is a necessary piece of getting AnyDVD HD to work, just like getting petrol is a necessary piece of getting a car to run.

They don't advertise support for each and every model of PC out there either.

They also don't advertise support for dogs, cats, and apples either.

But good luck with getting what you want.

I stand firmly behind "couldn't possibly care less".

Kind of makes me chuckle this thread....At work I get it in the neck on a regular basis about how Macs are so superior and that I should be using a mac as they are simply better for everything ever in the world ever....:bang:

If it's of any use we struggle for USB support under VM environments using VMware even on windows boxes, so I'm kind of not surprised there are issues such as this.

In the enterprise word entire hardware platform decisions are based on the support of a particular app that will run on it. So you're kind of on your own if you run it outtside of that environment. If it's that critical then you don't stray from the recommended path..

I guess someone has already stated the obvious....Get a PC, a second hand netbook would do the job....it wouldn't be quick but it would work...

When at work I said I was surprised there wasn't a windows version of Aperture....I was told...Get a Mac...

I for one would be really miffed if fixing something like this was prioritised over the top of something like slyplayer..Not that I have a vote on that but hopefully you see my point.

The items you listed in your post are the minimum requirements, not the ONLY requirements. That's why we have standards in the PC industry.
And why would you assume my environment doesn't meet those standards?
Standards help ensure that you can get HP or Dell (or roll your own) and as long as the hardware follows the standards, you can be relatively certain that software created following those standards will work. So it's a false argument to say that if something works on an HP or Dell, it should work in a virtualization environment.
My Parallels virtual PC apparently follows those standards closely enough that there's no problem installing Windows, playing CDs and DVDs, running all the other Windows software I've wanted to run... all except the latest version of AnyDVD. Windows itself recognizes that the are discs inserted in the drive that the latest AnyDVD doesn't see.

I'm sure if it was a bug, Slysoft would be working to fix it. Who knows, maybe they are. The fact is that we don't know.
You don't sound like you've ever worked for a company that produces software. I do, that's how I make a living. The mere existence of a bug and a decision to fix it are two very different things.

What i'm pretty confident in stating however is that Slysoft definitely knows more than we do about how Slysoft works, what it needs to work, and what security measures need to be in place to protect their intellectual property.
Many years ago, involving, coincidentally, a problem with another virtualization product, I noticed strange behavior that I guessed might be related to floating point computations, having to do with trouble I saw in one piece of Java software when drawing circular arcs. Another symptom was some Windows dialog (File properties? I can't remember the specifics.) where numbers that normally showed up formatted like "10.2 MB" were coming out reading "10.199999998 MB". I figured the most likely culprit was a behind-the-scenes conversion of 8-byte and 10-byte floating point formats, because the Mac's built-in 10-byte floating point math routines were likely tapped to emulated hardware-based Intel 8-byte floating point instructions.

I didn't have access to the company's source code. I didn't decompile their binaries. I simply understood the nature of the problem that had to be solved and the resources available to solve it.

I talked to software support for this older virtual PC (this was back when Macs weren't Intel based, making virtualization A LOT tougher, not to mention glacially slow), and the guy I was talking to acted like I was telling him I came from Mars, didn't understand what I was talking about, but assured me that their software engineers would be on top of it if any such problem existed, that whatever problem I had must be Java's problem, the software's problem, or my problem -- anybody's problem other than his company's problem.

I insisted on talking to someone who at least could understand what I was talking about, and, having had that request very grudgingly granted by the first person, I at least got a more sympathetic reception from the second, but still no clear sense that the problem I was reporting would be addressed.

After all, who cares if a few numbers look funny on the screen and some obscure Java applet doesn't draw things right?

A few months later an update was issued for the virtual PC software. The arc drawing problem went away. The release notes mentioned, among other bug fixes in that release, something to the effect "improvements in 8-byte floating point support".

Sometimes outsiders spot problems that insiders are not immediately aware of. That was not the only occasion I've correctly spotted, and even diagnosed, bugs in software simply by being an observant user of the software, one who knows how to troubleshoot and narrow down the relevant variables in a problem.

Instead of trying to run windows in a virtual environment, why not just dual boot windows. If you're running linux, you obviously have an X86 compatible PC, so just dual boot windows.

Dual booting sucks as a solution, especially when you're talking about doing it for something like ripping Blu-rays, which is a pretty slow process. That's a long time for your primary work environment to be down while your system is locked up for hours performing one specialized task.

A copy of XP can be purchased for less than the cost of AnyDVD HD.
The more you talk, the less you clearly understand about virtualization. I HAVE a copy of XP. It's installed in the virtual computer. The virtualization is a complete PC environment. It wouldn't be working at all without its own copy of an OS being installed, and in this case, Windows XP is it.

If you're imagining something like the Linux "emulator" Wine (yes, I know it stands for "Wine Is Not an Emulator"), you're imagining the wrong thing.

If you're running a mac computer, then it's just too bad.

If you think dual booting is a solution, then make the above comment, you're not paying attention to the thread. I have an Intel-based Mac, I can boot in Windows-only mode, and I even did that as an experiment that I reported on earlier in this thread. AnyDVD DOES work for me when I boot up like that. That, however, completely sucks as a solution for me, since most of what I do is in the Mac partition.

You wouldn't get mad at DVD manufacturers because they don't make DVDs that play in your toaster.
If my toaster happened to play DVDs anyway, all except the most recent DVDs put out by one company, and that company's earlier titles play in my toaster as well, I'd have good reason to suspect that their DVDs, and not my toaster, was at fault, even if my toaster were being put to a non-traditional use.

So likewise, just realize that having a PC is a necessary piece of getting AnyDVD HD to work, just like getting petrol is a necessary piece of getting a car to run.

Another bad analogy based on a misunderstanding of what the virtual PC is. I have a "car" that drives fine using everybody else's "petrol", and it works with the petrol Slysoft used to sell, just not the petrol coming out of the pumps right now.

Last edited:
I personally think it's admirable that you have been able to identify circumstances where the software dosn't work as you hope.

If it's a bug or not I couldn't comment on. Afterall it's an unsupported environtment. If you can't spare your primary work environment while dual booting then I guess a more traditional PC may be the answer.

If it's a bug or not I couldn't comment on. Afterall it's an unsupported environtment.
This wouldn't bug me (pardon the pun) so much if it weren't for the fact that version 6.5.8.7 of AnyDVD does work on my virtualized PC, and on other people's virtualized environments too.

If I'd lost functionality going from one version of Parallels to another version of Parallels, that would be one thing. I'd much more strongly suspect that Parallels had mucked something up. When the functionality breaks with a change in AnyDVD version, however, that's quite another thing.

If I didn't know that fact it would be a whole lot easier to write this whole thing off as some weirdness in the virtualization of the USB interface to my external Blu-ray drive. Knowing that an earlier version of AnyDVD works, however, tells me that it should be very possible for a future version to recreate what used to work, and make it work again.

Something in the drive scanning code must have changed from one release of AnyDVD to the next. Maybe what changed changed for the better for most users. That I can only guess. But it would be very strange if, whatever that possible improvement might have been, it has to be mutually exclusive from being able to detect inserted discs that the earlier software used to be able to detect.

If you can't spare your primary work environment while dual booting then I guess a more traditional PC may be the answer.
And if that's the only answer, I may eventually have to go that route. But it will be grudgingly, because version 6.5.8.7 clearly shows me that I'm not asking for the impossible, or even something that should be very difficult.

If it weren't for this bug, I woudn't have to spend any additional money to get up and going at all. Yes, I could get a cheap used laptop, but that would likely underperform what (with this bug fixed) my virtual machine can do -- when it's up and running, two of my Mac's 2.8 GHz Xeon cores are dedicated to the virtual PC.

A cheap desktop PC is a bulky thing I don't want to have to dedicate extra space to in order to set one up. A laptop uses up less space, but will be less powerful for the same amount of money, and if I intend to start up rips and walk away, for ripping disc after disc after disc, I'll need to set aside some extra physical space even for a laptop.

I'd also be annoyed at being stuck with an external Blu-ray drive that I never would have purchased in I knew I'd need a dedicated machine for this one piece of software. I'd have definitely gone for an internal drive if I had good reason to suspect a dedicated PC was the only solution.

If I end up building a Windows-based RAID box for storing all my movies and other media (I'm shooting for at least 10-20TB) , that might also serve me as a Blu-ray ripping station, but that will be in a cramped equipment room, not a place where I want to hang out very much for feeding discs into a drive as needed.

Since for now I'm merely in the preliminary stages of thinking about setting up a media server, and I have plenty of DVDs to rip before I worry about ripping my Blu-ray collection, I'd much rather push for a bug fix than buy new hardware that I really don't want for any other reason. I have at least some time to see if words can spare me dollars.

I strongly suspect that this problem can be fixed, and fixed without huge effort. The main problem is getting someone to care to fix it.

Another problem (and this is what can be a major support obstacle where I work) is QA testing for any fix like this. I'm certain that SlySoft's QA people don't want to add virtualized PCs to their test matrix when they test each new release of AnyDVD. I'd be happy if they just look for a theoretical problem, a clear code change that shows up after 6.5.8.7 that looks suspicious, and do nothing more than make a sensible code change and then make sure they don't break their supported platforms, leaving it people like me to find out later if we got what we were hoping for from the change.

Last edited:
I strongly suspect that this problem can be fixed, and fixed without huge effort. The main problem is getting someone to care to fix it.
I'm glad you know so much about software development, good for you. I don't work for a software company, but i do develop business software and i know enough to know that "bugs" that are important enough to get fixed will get fixed and those that aren't, won't get fixed or a simple workaround will be implemented.

That however is besides the point that I was making in my post. What i stated was that Slysoft may be fixing this if they even consider it a bug. Just because it's inconvenient for you doesn't mean that it's a bug that needs to be fixed (only Slysoft would really know). For an example, playing Blu rays from a folder structure was removed in PowerDVD 8 and 9. So because it was there in 7, and not there in 8 or 9 does that now mean it's a "bug" that needs to be fixed? Following your argument, it would be a bug that needs to be fixed, but that would be wrong according to Cyberlink's own support staff that have answered numerous emails about it.

I'm not saying Slysoft removed a feature that was previously existing (that would be a first for them), but we really don't know. And despite your ability to "sense" what might be wrong because of all your vast software experience, the truth is that you really don't know if it was removed, if its the result of something that was added, or if it's truly a software bug.

In Cyberlinks case, it was an intentional change. Was it for Slysoft? Don't know. However, what we know is that it currently doesn't work and a virtual environment is not supported. As for your virtual environment being more "souped up" than the minimum requirements, again, good for you. My work computer has a virtual environment that kicks but as well. And you're right, i don't know alot about virtual environents. I do know that they aren't the same as the host environments that they work in.....or AnyDVD would work, now wouldn't it?

All this is pointless however, you've made up your mind that this is something Slysoft should fix and nothing is going to change your mind from that.

Good luck with that:clap:

Given what has been posted by James, a developer, I do not believe the change was intentional and, quite frankly, I don't believe James is even sure why. It very well could be a side effect of other alterations made in the program so that it functions better within the environment that the software is intended for which, sorry to say, isn't a virtual one. The issue could also be a perfect storm of events occurring at the same time and resulting problems.

Resolving the issue [likely] falls low on the list of priorities since supporting the intended environment is the goal and given all the magic that AnyDVD/AnyDVD HD perform that is a mean feat. It wasn't specifically stated that the issue wouldn't be investigated. It wasn't stated that it will never be addressed. What was stated was that the problem isn't of utmost concern and they might get around to investigating but it isn't a priority.

Last edited:
For an example, playing Blu rays from a folder structure was removed in PowerDVD 8 and 9. So because it was there in 7, and not there in 8 or 9 does that now mean it's a "bug" that needs to be fixed? Following your argument, it would be a bug that needs to be fixed, but that would be wrong according to Cyberlink's own support staff that have answered numerous emails about it.
I think a distinction has to be made between the priority assigned to a bug, and whether or not something is a bug at all.

Deliberate removal of a feature isn't a bug, of course, even if the removal annoys people. For whatever reason, it sounds like Cyberlink may well have deliberately decided to remove playing Blu-rays from a folder structure -- perhaps bowing to pressure from the media companies.

I can't, however, imagine a valid reason SlySoft would say, "Hey, next release let's take out reading external USB drives hooked up to virtual PCs". That change was almost certainly an inadvertent one.

Where I work, part of our software works through a web browser. Because there are an enormous number of web browsers out there running on different operating systems, and different release versions of those browsers and OSes, we only can test so many combinations and permutations thereof. We therefore have a list of officially supported browser/OS combinations.

We still, however, at least look into it when we hear about problems with unsupported platforms. And if one day we were working with Google's Chrome (not officially supported by us yet) and we made a change that broke that compatibility, we'd definitely look into it.

While we don't have the resources to make every new browser part of our QA process, we know our customers will be happier if they can use the browser of their choice and not be forced to use one of our officially supported ones. We do it if we have to, but we prefer not to have to tell our customers to use a different browser. We certainly wouldn't want to tell our customers what a lot of people on this forum who don't even work for SlySoft blithely say (even sneer), "buy a different computer".

We'd definitely want to know why something stopped working if a sudden loss in browser compatibility occurred, even on an officially unsupported browser, if that loss wasn't an intentional change on our part. We'd classify that kind of issue as a bug. It might be forced onto the back burner under a hectic schedule, but it would still be a BUG -- not a feature request, not an enhancement, a BUG. My "insistence" that the problem with AnyDVD and virtual PCs is a bug is a matter of consistent usage of that term, not just "I want it changed, so it's a bug".

Where I work, part of our software works through a web browser. Because there are an enormous number of web browsers out there running on different operating systems, and different release versions of those browsers and OSes, we only can test so many combinations and permutations thereof. We therefore have a list of officially supported browser/OS combinations.

At least you have a choice of browsers. Where i work, only I.E 6 is supported:doh: I'm always dropping hints to my IT manager about putting in a word to move up to I.E. 8 or FireFox. While he appreciates the input, he isn't going to break a hundreds of proprietary applications (both web and desktop) simply for the sake of upgrading.

Anyways, the question has to be asked: What do you want?
1) You've made your case fairly well (IMO).
2) Peer even mentioned that it MIGHT be something he is interested in.
3) Anyone who has spent any amount of time on this forum knows that the Slysoft gang is very responsive to user requests and they'll tell you outright if they will not do something (code a Linux version for example).

So their is not much more you can do other than to keep requesting the same thing or keep explaining the same point. As you pointed out, I don't work for Slysoft, so we are just two guys discussing a point of view. No matter how much you explain, it isn't going to make them move any faster. With all they have going on already (Slyplayer, CloneBD, Bumblebee, and no doubt other related products), i'm sure you can appreciate that they already have alot going on to be able to shift resources to a "bug" that is outside the scope of the core functionality of AnyDVD anyway.

Just be glad that the request hasn't been shot down. You should take that as hope that they might get to it when other things free up. And if you think that is bad customer service, try getting something like that from Cyberlink tech support.:disagree:

Anyways, the question has to be asked: What do you want?
I've tried to clarify my views on this issue simply because, frankly, I detect a certain amount of skepticism and even hostility, not from SlySoft, but from other people posting in this thread.

I've had my hope of using AnyDVD on a virtual machine scoffed at, as if I were expecting something as totally bizarre as playing DVDs in a toaster, even though up until very recently the metaphorical toaster did indeed play those metaphorical DVDs.

I've had my classification of the virtual PC problem as a "bug" challenged, as if I simply call anything that doesn't suit me a bug.

I've felt a very strong undercurrent of "Quit whining! Just shut the f*ck up and get a PC!", along with (even though other people are having the same problem with PC-based virtual machines) a touch of anti-Mac sentiment thrown in.

What I want, aside from the obvious hope that I'll be able to get newer versions of AnyDVD to work as well with a virtual PC as the older versions, is to address that skepticism and hostility. I actually find it rather strange that so many people who don't even work for a particular company (I refer to a larger phenomena that I've seen in other forums on other subject matter as well) are so ready and eager to defend a business point of view of supporting as little as the business might be able to get away with supporting, rather than a consumer point of view, wanting the most from a product that they can get.

It's important, of course, to be able to think through an issue like this from both sides. As consumers of the AnyDVD product, however, not employees or stockholders of SlySoft, I would hope the natural impulse would be to lean more toward a pro-consumer position.

Last edited:
I've tried to clarify my views on this issue simply because, frankly, I detect a certain amount of skepticism and even hostility, not from SlySoft, but from other people posting in this thread.

Yeah, those other posters can be real jerks sometimes, i wouldn't worry too much about it;)

Anyways, this is a user supported forum so we are all users of one Slysoft product or another. And the saying that the loudest voices are usually the minority holds here as well. You have a good product(s) that has met a huge need in a niche (albeit growing rapidly) market and it's no wonder that Slysoft products have a loyal fan base. Those are the people that will defend the product because 1) it's a very good product and 2) the people who support it have proven themselves to be responsive to user needs. Just count how many AnyDVD updates are released in one month and you get the idea that Slysoft stands behind thier software.

So i'm sure the bloke who insulted you and compared DVDs to toasters was probably just having a bad day or something and is very sorry:agree:

As far as Macs go, I won't even go there for fear of being banned. But if the day comes that Slysoft feels it's in thier best interest/desire/funding to create a Mac version of AnyDVD, i'm sure you'll see it.

As far as Macs go, I won't even go there for fear of being banned. But if the day comes that Slysoft feels it's in thier best interest/desire/funding to create a Mac version of AnyDVD, i'm sure you'll see it.
I like Macs myself, but I'm not a completely uncritical fanboy. Apple still doesn't provide Blu-ray as an option on any computer they sell and the Mac OS itself doesn't have any basic Blu-ray support. It's incredibly annoying. It's also sadly ironic that Microsoft was a backer of HD DVD, Apple still sits on the Board of Directors for the Blu-ray Disc Association, yet Windows is the better platform for Blu-ray.

Under these circumstances I certainly don't blame SlySoft for ignoring the Mac platform, certainly as far as a full-fledged native Mac release. I'm eager for this a fix for the virtual PC bug precisely because I don't consider actual native Mac OS support in the cards at all, any time in the foreseeable future.

This just occurred to me. Have you tried creating a log file using AnyDVD running in the VR or is it that AnyDVD can't even start/has no functionality.

If you can create a log file, maybe that might tell Peer something or give some clue as to what's wrong.

Maybe it won't help any, but it's worth a shot.

Yeah, those other posters can be real jerks sometimes

Edit: O.k., you were apparently referring to yourself, but that wasn't clear.

So i'm sure the bloke who insulted you and compared DVDs to toasters

No one said anything about toasters except Silent3.

was probably just having a bad day or something and is very sorry

I'm not sorry for anything I've written. Granted, I haven't read this entire thread.

As far as Macs go, I won't even go there for fear of being banned.

Edit: Calling people jerks even if you're referring to yourself is probably worse than discussing Macs. But I don't want to see any PC vs Mac flame wars here either.

Last edited:
If or when James or a Slysoft developer requests feedback for VMs, we can revisit this topic.

When http://www.slysoft.com/anydvdhd.html gets updated to include support for Macs or VMs, maybe I`ll start caring.

Until that time, this conversation is growing incredibly useless.

Anyone recreating a thread on this subject because he or she feels an inane sense of entitlement and superiority better think twice. :policeman:

Thread closed. :policeman:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back