• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

A recent update broke AnyDVD running in a VM...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, the Lite-on drive is only a USB Mass Storage Device. It cannot be specified as a physical CD/DVD drive.

To be absolutely clear, when you say this, you are talking about the settings for the Virtual Machine, not the settings in the guest operating system?

To be absolutely clear, when you say this, you are talking about the settings for the Virtual Machine, not the settings in the guest operating system?

Correct. Neither Mac OSX nor VMWare (or Parallels, for that matter) see the drive as an optical drive, only as a generic USB storage device. In fact, the only system that acknowledges it as an optical drive of any sort is the guest OS (Windows 7).

I got fed up with this so I have replaced the internal Superdrive on my Mac Mini with an Optiarc BC-5600S. Works a treat :rock:

Gareth

I was also experiencing the same problem with recent versions of anydvd hd. My setup:
Mac mini - Parallels 4 running Windows 7
Lite-On DX401-S usb external blu-ray drive)
(also tested Plextor PX-B310U usb external blu-ray ... same problem)
6.5.8.7 was the last working version I had. Anything recent, including 6.6.0.3, does NOT work - "no disc in drive" error.
I've had this setup for a year ... ripped over 70 blu-ray movies - WITH NO PROBLEM.
My Solution from Amazon for less than $90:
- Vantec CB-ISATAU2 SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter
- Lite-On 4X Bd-rom Sata Internal Drive
Works great now. Seems to be the chipset in the usb external drives which is causing this error. But the Sata to USB adaptor works fine.

3rded (4thded?). I have switched to an internal SATA Pioneer BDC-202 in the 2nd bay of the Mac Pro and handed it over to VMWare. Works perfectly again.

Blu-Ray loads, but AnyDVD thinks the drive is empty

This is my first time using AnyDVD with Blu-Ray. I bought AnyDVD HD about a week ago while waiting for my new Blu-Ray drive to arrive, and have been successfully using it (along with CloneDVD) for standard DVDs.

I really do have the HD version -- my key file is named Key.AnyDVDHD.

Even though I can explore Blu-Ray and HD-DVD discs via Windows Explorer, seeing what I'd expect to find on these discs (a volume name that matches the title of the movie in the drive, AACS and BDMV directories, *.m2ts files, etc.), all I get from AnyDVD is this:

Code:
No Disc is present in Drive E:!
HL-DT-ST BD-REBE06LU10 YE05 001003081695BG0202

I'd paste a log file into my post by using "Create Logfile", but I can't even get that to work. The drive spins up for a moment, then, under "My Computer", the disc in the drive seems to dismount and remount momentarily, but nothing else happens -- no prompt to save a log file, no error message, nothing.

My setup:
  • Windows XP SP3
  • 1.5 GB RAM, 2.8 GHz dual Xeon (this is a Parallels virtual PC, that's what's allocated to the virtual PC from the resources of the host system).
  • Only about 11 GB free on the main C: drive, but around 300GB scratch space on an extra drive).
  • LG BE06LU10 External USB Super Multi Blue - BD-RE / HD DVD-ROM combo drive
  • AnyDVD 6.6.0.4 (I started with 6.6.0.3, upgraded while trying to make things work.)
I've cleaned my discs, and I've tried more than one disc ("Cars" and "Angels and Demons" on Blu-Ray, "The Sting" on HD-DVD, US releases). DVDs work fine, and, unlike HD discs, AnyDVD is quite well aware that they're in the drive when they're in the drive.

I've made sure my drive has been assigned a region code (Region 1).

I've installed the necessary drivers and driver updates for my HD drive. CyberLink InstantBurn had been installed by default, but I used ImgBurn to made sure there's no packet writing software in my filter list. Here's what ImgBurn shows now:

Code:
===============================================
Filter Driver Load Order - ImgBurn v2.5.0.0
===============================================

Upper Device Filter:  redbook
 Upper Class Filter:  GEARAspiWDM
             Device:  CD/DVD-ROM Device
 Lower Class Filter:  PxHelp20
 Lower Class Filter:  AnyDVD
Lower Device Filter:  imapi

Filter Name:  redbook
          File Name:  C:\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys
       File Version:  5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108)
   File Description:  Redbook Audio Filter Driver
       Product Name:  Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    Product Version:  5.1.2600.5512
       Company Name:  Microsoft Corporation
          Copyright:  © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Filter Name:  GEARAspiWDM
          File Name:  C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\GEARAspiWDM.sys
       File Version:  2.02.00.01 [2.2.0.1]
   File Description:  CD DVD Filter
       Product Name:  CD DVD Filter
    Product Version:  2.02.00.01 [2.2.0.1]
       Company Name:  GEAR Software Inc.
          Copyright:  Copyright (C) GEAR Software Inc. 1997-2009

Filter Name:  PxHelp20
          File Name:  C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PxHelp20.sys
       File Version:  3.00.56a [3.0.56.0]
   File Description:  Px Engine Device Driver for Windows 2000/XP
       Product Name:  PxHelp20
    Product Version:  [2.0.0.0]
       Company Name:  Sonic Solutions
          Copyright:  Copyright © Sonic Solutions

Filter Name:  AnyDVD
          File Name:  C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\AnyDVD.sys
       File Version:  6.6.0.4
   File Description:  AnyDVD Filter Driver
       Product Name:  AnyDVD
    Product Version:  6.6.0.4
       Company Name:  SlySoft, Inc.
          Copyright:  Copyright 2002 - 2009 SlySoft, Inc.

Filter Name:  imapi
          File Name:  C:\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\imapi.sys
       File Version:  5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108)
   File Description:  IMAPI Kernel Driver
       Product Name:  Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    Product Version:  5.1.2600.5512
       Company Name:  Microsoft Corporation
          Copyright:  © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
I think I've been pretty thorough about ruling out all of the standard problems, but I'm still not getting anywhere.

I've rebooted my PC several times and given all of my attempted configuration changes the benefit of a reboot to see if that would help.

What's weird is that the ability explore HD discs has come and gone a couple of times while trying to get things to work. At first exploring HD was discs working, but I was getting annoyed at how PowerDVD kept launching when I didn't want it, so I uninstalled it. After doing that, HD discs wouldn't mount at all, not as far either AnyDVD or Windows Explorer was concerned. Then I uninstalled Power2Go, and once again HD discs would mount again -- alas, still not as far as AnyDVD was concerned, but at least the discs were showing up on my desktop as before.

In case this is a hint at some underlying problem, I haven't yet managed to play a Blu-Ray or HD DVD on my computer. PowerDVD keeps giving me some sort of "device error" message when I try to play an HD disc. PowerDVD at least starts to play DVDs, but then shuts down (thank you, MPAA bastards!) complaining that I have to turn off video output on my video card to continue.

Would a Toshiba driver actually help with an LG drive?

This seems to be an HD-DVD driver. Would the lack of it, even if it does apply, affect Blu-ray performance too?

Yes to both questions, but Anydvd doesn't require it.

I uninstalled AnyDVD once again, and cleaned my registry with CCleaner after rebooting.

Even though AnyDVD wasn't recognizing Blu-ray before (still thought my drive was empty), so I can't see how it was helping, after I uninstalled AnyDVD I went back to the condition where I couldn't even explore a Blu-ray through Windows.

I then installed the Toshiba driver, and that helped to the extent that I can now explore a Blu-ray disc again, but alas, after reinstalling AnyDVD and installing my HD key, AnyDVD still thinks the drive is empty regardless of what's there.

I made a mistake before in saying AnyDVD could see a DVD in the new Blu-ray drive -- it can't. Only my internal DVD drive is working as far as AnyDVD is concerned. Nothing, standard DVD or Blu-Ray, is being recognized by AnyDVD when inserted into my new drive.

Sigh. I seem to always have to fight with everything to get it to work. Nothing's ever easy.

Anydvd is not officially supported under that environment. No Slysoft product is.
I have wondered if that might have something to do with my problems, but since I'm accessing the drive as a USB device, with the USB interface just being passed on from the Mac to the virtual PC without undergoing any hardware virtualization (the way video and other hardware is handled) I don't know why that should make any difference.

I might give turning my virtual PC into a Boot Camp partition and booting up that way to see if that changes anything.

Boot camp isn't supported either.

http://www.slysoft.com/anydvdhd.html

System Requirements

* IBM-compatible PC with a minimum 2 GHz Pentium-class microprocessor and 512 MB RAM
* Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 (32 or 64 bit)
* 4 MB hard disk space
* For Blu-ray or HD DVD media, a Blu-ray or HD DVD compliant drive is required.
* AnyDVD HD requires Windows 98 as the minimum OS for standard DVDs.
* For HD decryption and ripping, the minimum OS is Windows 2000 (latest SP).
* PC player software usually requires Windows XP SP2 as minumum OS.

True, but it should work fine. ;)
I'd have thought a Parallels virtual PC would work just fine too.

I wish you could restore whatever it was that you lost from the way the drive scanning used to work.

I can now get AnyDVD working with Blu-ray and HD-DVD via Boot Camp.

That's good for knowing for sure that my new drive itself works, and that one way or another I'll be able to start ripping HD discs for my future media server, but it's not a very good solution for me for anything but a test. While running Boot Camp my Mac can't be a Mac, and since ripping can be a slow process, that would put my computer out of commission for its normal use way too much.

I understand it's not likely to be a priority for SlySoft to fix this problem, but since AnyDVD used to work properly on a virtual PC, I sure hope they'll consider it worth some effort to figure out what changed for the worse and undo it. I'd rather not have to buy a whole new PC just to solve this problem. Further, if I'd known I'd have to get a new PC, I wouldn't have purchased an external drive either.

I don't know if installing an internal Blu-ray drive would have helped with using a virtual PC, but that would be a problem with my early 2008 Mac Pro anyway, since it wasn't until later models that the optical drive bays were SATA instead of ATA/IDE. Too late for that option anyway.

Last edited:
Same for me

I have the same problem, running Fusion 3.0 with an external LG blu-ray reader/recorded drive. I can rip the majority of blu ray dvds using AnyDVD HD 6.5.9.5.

I contacted SlySoft support and after explaining the issue and sending my log file I got the response that using slysoft on a VM under fusion or bootcamp is not supported.

Fair enough (although obviously disappointing). I just wonder what changed between version 6.5.9.5 and the next version after that which broke the ability for AnyDVD to recognize the fact that there is a disc in the drive.

I just wonder what changed between version 6.5.9.5 and the next version after that which broke the ability for AnyDVD to recognize the fact that there is a disc in the drive.
SlySoft should consider the possibility that this bug might not be limited to a virtual machine environment, that virtualization is merely one thing that might bring out a more generalized bug that could end up affecting other users.

If this used to work in older versions of AnyDVD, and if Windows Explorer can still clearly see a disc is present in a given drive, it seems to me there's a good chance there's something badly broken about the drive scanning logic now that goes beyond the esoterica of virtualization.

By the way, I'll gladly serve as a guinea pig to test any fix SlySoft might want to try for this thinks-the-drive-is-empty bug. Even if it's a matter of manually replacing a file or two and/or changing some registry entries, I'm fine with that -- I'm a software engineer and don't mind hacking a bit.

I'll guess it's very likely SlySoft's engineers don't even have any easily available Macs, especially any running Parallels or other virtualization software, to test any drive scanning changes with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back