• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

A recent update broke AnyDVD running in a VM...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaz

Hi,

I have been using AnyDVD (HD) running in a virtual machine on various Macs. Most recently I have been using a Lite-on USB Blu-ray drive with no problems... until sometime in the last month. AnyDVD will not detect any media in the Lite-on drive, either DVD or Blu-ray. The host machine and VM can both see the media.

However, I found a very old copy of AnyDVD (6.1.3.3) and this does work!

With the most recent versions of AnyDVD (including betas) this is what I've tried and doesn't work with the Lite-on:
Windows XP and Windows 7 running under Parallels 5, Fusion 3 and Virtualbox 3 on a MacBook Pro and MacMini.
Removing, rebooting, reinstalling AnyDVD.
Checking for filter drivers with ImgBurn.
Flashing the Lite-on the the latest firmware (It was already)

Here's what does work:
The latest versions of AnyDVD on a Dell running XP with the USB Lite-on
The latest versions of AnyDVD on either Mac running Windows in a VM but using the internal superdrive or an external USB DVD/RW
Using a VM on the Mac and version 6.1.3.3! I would like to test some more recent versions but they dont seem to be available for download.

I believe something in a recent update to AnyDVD has caused this issue. I have noticed recent posts on this forum which seem to be along similar lines.

If you can supply me with versions from the last few months I can identify exactly which release broke for me.

Thanks,
Gareth
:disagree:

Have you set the region for the DVD drives in question?

Hi,

I have been using AnyDVD (HD) running in a virtual machine on various Macs. Most recently I have been using a Lite-on USB Blu-ray drive with no problems... until sometime in the last month. AnyDVD will not detect any media in the Lite-on drive, either DVD or Blu-ray. The host machine and VM can both see the media.

However, I found a very old copy of AnyDVD (6.1.3.3) and this does work!

With the most recent versions of AnyDVD (including betas) this is what I've tried and doesn't work with the Lite-on:
Windows XP and Windows 7 running under Parallels 5, Fusion 3 and Virtualbox 3 on a MacBook Pro and MacMini.
Removing, rebooting, reinstalling AnyDVD.
Checking for filter drivers with ImgBurn.
Flashing the Lite-on the the latest firmware (It was already)

Here's what does work:
The latest versions of AnyDVD on a Dell running XP with the USB Lite-on
The latest versions of AnyDVD on either Mac running Windows in a VM but using the internal superdrive or an external USB DVD/RW
Using a VM on the Mac and version 6.1.3.3! I would like to test some more recent versions but they dont seem to be available for download.

I believe something in a recent update to AnyDVD has caused this issue. I have noticed recent posts on this forum which seem to be along similar lines.

If you can supply me with versions from the last few months I can identify exactly which release broke for me.

Thanks,
Gareth
:disagree:
Please try AnyDVD 6.5.9.9 beta.

Yes the region is set - region 2

I have already tried 6599

Right - getting somewhere. I have tried the following versions:

6.5.9.9 Broken! "No Disc is present in Drive E:!"
6.5.9.5 Broken! "No Disc is present in Drive E:!"
6.5.8.7 Works!
6.5.8.2 Works!

The last version to work for me is 6.5.8.7.

This is for all media I try - DVD and Blu-ray. The host system (Macbook Pro) and the VM (Currently Windows 7) can always see the media.

Last edited:
The host system (Macbook Pro) and the VM

I have no idea whether James will be interested in resolving this, but I can say that no Slysoft product is officially supported under that environment.

Well if I can help let me know. It would be a shame for me to be "stuck" at version 6.5.8.7. :doh:

AnyDVD HD not working properly in Windows guest on OS X host

I also have problems running AnyDVD HD proberly in Windows XP prof. and Windows 7 Ultimate as guest. The host is OS X 10.6.

If I enable Passtrough, Anydvd starts to analyse the DVD-disc (have no bluray yet, but soon...) but does not come to an end, so the disc is not available. No information are shown in the window of AnyDVD.
Without Passtrhough the disc is accessible very quickly and AnyDVD presents all the informaiton in its window.

I will try the new version as quick a possible and let you know.

Just tried 6.6.0.0 - No Disc is present in Drive E:!
Back to 6.5.8.7 - works fine
:doh:

Just tried 6.6.0.0 - No Disc is present in Drive E:!
Back to 6.5.8.7 - works fine
:doh:

Can you post a logfile from 6.5.8.7? Thank you!

Log from 6.5.8.7 attached as requested!

Gareth

Attachments

• AnyDVD_6.5.8.7_Info_E_NIGHTMAREBEFOREXMAS_GBR.zip
    175.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes James - Parallels 5 running Windows 7 on a MacMini using the USB Lite-On Blu-ray drive.

Hi James,

If I can be of any help as well, let me know. I too am having an error of "No Disc in Drive E:" when using later versions of AnyDVD in either Vista or Win 7 within a VM (I have both Parallels 4 and VMWare 3). (Unfortunately the latest installer I kept a copy of that works is for 6.5.1.1).

Like Gaz, I am using an external Lite-On USB Bluray reader, and AnyDVD works fine with the internal DVD-RW drive.

Also, whether you are able to solve this or not, I wanted to express my appreciation for you looking into this even though we are running under conditions not officially supported by SlySoft.

Regards,
Josh

Also, whether you are able to solve this or not, I wanted to express my appreciation for you looking into this even though we are running under conditions not officially supported by SlySoft.

Ditto.
Gareth

Similar case

Right - getting somewhere. I have tried the following versions:

6.5.9.9 Broken! "No Disc is present in Drive E:!"
6.5.9.5 Broken! "No Disc is present in Drive E:!"
6.5.8.7 Works!
6.5.8.2 Works!

The last version to work for me is 6.5.8.7.

This is for all media I try - DVD and Blu-ray. The host system (Macbook Pro) and the VM (Currently Windows 7) can always see the media.

Macbook Pro, VMware Fusion, Windows XP Home, LG BE06 Blue ray drive:
6.5.8.7 Works.
6.5.9.5 No drive detected.
6.6.0.0 No drive detected.
6.6.0.2 No drive detected.

I would appreciate any comment from Slysoft, thanks. Is my H/S configuration not expected to run AnyDVD HD, starting from new versions?

Best,
Koichi

VMware Fusion has never been officially supported.

This is officially supported:

http://www.slysoft.com/anydvdhd.html

* IBM-compatible PC with a minimum 2 GHz Pentium-class microprocessor and 512 MB RAM
* Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 (32 or 64 bit)
* 4 MB hard disk space
* For Blu-ray or HD DVD media, a Blu-ray or HD DVD compliant drive is required.
* AnyDVD HD requires Windows 98 as the minimum OS for standard DVDs.
* For HD decryption and ripping, the minimum OS is Windows 2000 (latest SP).
* PC player software usually requires Windows XP SP2 as minumum OS.

Macbook Pro, VMware Fusion, Windows XP Home, LG BE06 Blue ray drive:
6.5.8.7 Works.
6.5.9.5 No drive detected.
6.6.0.0 No drive detected.
6.6.0.2 No drive detected.

I would appreciate any comment from Slysoft, thanks. Is my H/S configuration not expected to run AnyDVD HD, starting from new versions?

Best,
Koichi
I have no idea, sorry.

I tried version 6.6.0.0 yesterday on Windows XP and 7 in virtualbox on OS X host. In Windows 7 the drive was not available with activated Passthrough, only without. In Windows XP it was directly accessible without Passthrough of the DVD-drive, but was analised for a long time with activated Passthrough. At the end I got the same error message as someone else in this thread:

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=35244&highlight=virtualbox

Interesting is:
- the disc was accessible when the error message appeared and could be used.
- the error message states about installing a region free firmware. But 1. AnyDVD states that my drive is region free, 2. AnyDVD is set on region code 2 and the disc is region code 2.

I tried version 6.6.0.0 yesterday on Windows XP and 7 in virtualbox on OS X host. In Windows 7 the drive was not available with activated Passthrough, only without. In Windows XP it was directly accessible without Passthrough of the DVD-drive, but was analised for a long time with activated Passthrough. At the end I got the same error message as someone else in this thread:

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=35244&highlight=virtualbox

Interesting is:
- the disc was accessible when the error message appeared and could be used.
- the error message states about installing a region free firmware. But 1. AnyDVD states that my drive is region free, 2. AnyDVD is set on region code 2 and the disc is region code 2.

Please try 6.6.0.2 or better, it has rewritten drive scanning code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back