• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

A Layman's Guide to Shrinking HDDVD Size on Hard Drive

Hey Davie

Give Showtime (crazy easy) or MPC (challenging) a stab at it and you won't look back.

I can't get PDVD to even open the raw .evo file without erroring out.

Good Luck

Ryan

Hey Davie

Give Showtime (crazy easy) or MPC (challenging) a stab at it and you won't look back.

I can't get PDVD to even open the raw .evo file without erroring out.

Good Luck

Ryan

Ryan, I am using MPC for upconverting SD DVDs. I'm not sure if it is possible to use it both for SD and HD playback since ffdshow merit values are different, once I changed merit values for ffdshow audio and video decoders MPC started crashing on SD DVD playback -- I asked on AVS forum if anybody is using MPC for both HD and SD and got no feedback -- I am not sure if it is even possible unless you have to reconfigure it every time you switch between SD and HD -- if you know how would appreciate if you can share. :)

Hey Davie

You are absolutely correct.

The ffdshow merit values are different with respect for HD / SD material, being somewhat cumbersome switching back & forth.

What I did in MediaPortal was set up MPC as the standard external player for SD material with "normal" ffdshow values for .mkv / .ts / .vob sources.

mp1a.jpg

Then with MP's built-in "my programs" plugin, set up showtime for HD material, i.e. .evo / .m2ts sources.

mp2a.jpg

mp3a.jpg

Its definitely not hard to set up and the ability to have 2 seperate players available in MP's front-end gives a warm & fuzzy feeling. To watch SD material I navigate to "my videos", select a movie, MPC opens up; for HD to "my programs", select and showtime opens up...simplicity ad infinitum. On a side note, this setup is leaps & bounds beyond my tried & true ps3 / tversity steaming method, once a GGC-H20L finds its way home both the ps3 / xbox hddvd drive will begin to look mighty awkward.

Good Luck

Ryan

Last edited:
Any reason why when playing this movie in Arcsoft it seems to play as if it has been fast forwarded ?

Last edited:
You are absolutely correct.

The ffdshow merit values are different with respect for HD / SD material, being somewhat cumbersome switching back & forth.

Its definitely not hard to set up and the ability to have 2 seperate players available in MP's front-end gives a warm & fuzzy feeling. To watch SD material I navigate to "my videos", select a movie, MPC opens up; for HD to "my programs", select and showtime opens up...simplicity ad infinitum. On a side note, this setup is leaps & bounds beyond my tried & true ps3 / tversity steaming method, once a GGC-H20L finds its way home both the ps3 / xbox hddvd drive will begin to look mighty awkward.

Ryan

Ryan, this is similar set up I am using for playing SD (MPC) and HD (PowerDVD), except I am not using MediaPortal -- the issue however remains with PowerDVD inability to play EVOs directly, hence I have to keep original EVOs with XPL file. There is some encouraging posts I've seen this morning where MPC is set with codecs from new Arcsoft player -- I will give it a try for raw EVO playback :).

Here is another one:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=982000

And also here on Slysoft forum posted by Sarah:

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=12549

I set MPC with Arcsoft decoders and it works very well so far -- I am able to play raw EVOs and M2TS from HDD.

When I tried raw EVO from Arcsoft Player I either got no sound or it was playing in fastforward mode, appears to be a problem with audio decoder.

When I tried raw M2TS from Arcsoft Player I could not get 5.1 sound out of it, only stereo -- I use SPDIF for sound.

Playing M2TS files from MPC also appears to fix video freezing problem I was geting with PowerDVD on seamless branching disks.

Overall I am pretty happy with the solution as all I have to do in order to play HD from MPC is block ffdshow decoders, when I want to play SD I unblock ffdshow and block Arcsoft decoders. Not very pretty but all it takes is 10 seconds and I don't have to mess with merit values, etc. :)

thanks so much mate !!!!!! so fast and easy to do minus doing subs.

Can I just ask do you still get 100% HD picture Quality using EVO demux ?? or does it lower the picture Quality slightly?

Thanks Jamie

Video & sound quality is untouched & transparent

It would seem that your method seems to choose Dolby Digital + as the main Audio when there is Dolby True HD which is better sound Quality. I understand that none of us have HDMI sound cards to transfer True HD but is there some way of selecting True HD instead ??

Just that I plan on buying a sound card that has HDMI and supports True HD in the next few weeks so makes sense when available on the disk to choose True HD as my Audio method in EVO demux.

In shorter words is there a easy way to find out in EVOX demux which channel is True HD so I can select it, under the Video/Audio tab ?

On the back of my Perfect storm HD DVD it says it has TRUE HD audio but under Video/Audio Tab in demux it just says DD + stream.00 etc :confused:

once again thanks for all your hard testing and input ! :clap:

Last edited:
Hey Jamie

Absolutely, selecting Dolby True HD, or any other stream(s) would simply be a matter of checking it off instead of DD+ in Evodemux. I used it in guide for easy reference and personally for size reduction.

Good Luck

Ryan

P.S. After my morning diet pepsi, realized I didn't actually answer the question.

Evodemux should (will) pick up the trueHD stream and list it as MLP, the guide has a pic of it in the Matrix Reloaded. Try unchecking fast reading or raise the number and rescan.

Last edited:
hey i just wanna thank you for your writeup, i had no idea about EVODemux (or the one for blu-ray for that matter)...it's saving me a lot of GBs on my server!

Just one question, i'm only interested in the main movie and only keeping the main movie and 1 audio track...doing this (either for hd-dvd or blu-ray) won't make it less future proof right? in the sense that players would still be able read and decode the combined .evos and the audio tracks etc?
b/c i'm gonna convert my entire hd-dvd/blu-ray collection this way and i don't something better (or the "right way") to come out later and me having to re-rip all my movies.
sorry if its not making a lot of sense, i just dont wanna go thru the hassel of doing all this and then find out oops, u shoulda left it in its previous format with all the .xpls etc.

thanks

Thank you for the kind words.

Playback wise, these files are merely raw versions of originals, even open source players can decode them with the proper filters. If tomorrow Nero & the gang decided to prohibit .m2ts playback, I'd just use Arcsoft filters in MPC and call it a day.

On the flip side, both these methods do change the playback mechanism from the original; no xpl for HD-DVD nor mpls for Bluray. In the sense that if tomorrow Slysoft made a true HD/BD shrink in the same vein as DVD shrink, it most certainly gonna require/demand access to the original, intact folder structure...these .evo's & .m2ts we've been rebuilding wouldn't suffice.

However, I do not believe that this is the wrong way either now or when a 1-click HD/BD shrink method comes along. There are so many variations on results regarding playback of even normal & untouched HD/BD discs; PDVD vs Arcsoft, which firmware works for what discs, to .iso or not... its a pretty tough minefield to navigate and stay abreast upon.

In fact, with a little patience and powerful computer, its relatively straightforward (still can't say easy) to take our newly made .evo's & m2ts, transcode to x264, either stay at 1080p or downres to 720p, and remux to .mkv. That would put it in the most future proof container, open source.

Good Luck

Ryan

Last edited:
care to explain the method of transcoding our shrunk .evos to h.264 in an mkv or avi? I have followed the numerous doom9 forum threads about it, but haven't been able to get the audio to work at all. I would greatly appreciate it

care to explain the method of transcoding our shrunk .evos to h.264 in an mkv or avi? I have followed the numerous doom9 forum threads about it, but haven't been able to get the audio to work at all. I would greatly appreciate it

Well, thats a great question but outside the bounds of this thread. I'm assuming we're using Eac3to, Madshi's thread @ doom9 might be the best place to ask it.

I did have a guide pending with those goals in mind but the process currently involves, in my humble opinion, investing too much time with non-equal return in space savings, I'd much rather watch a 1080 movie than transcode/mux one.

The knowledge is out there, maybe not front page but its there.

Here's one from mic @ abhdtv

http://www.abhdtv.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8774

Good Luck

Ryan

Last edited:
thanks for your reply...size wise I guess nothing would change (original quality) if AnyDVD did come out w/ their own version of DVDShrink for HD-DVD/Blu-Ray, but it would just leave everything looking like an original hd-dvd/blu-ray (file structure wise etc).

Last question, instead of combining the hd-dvd's into 1, can I just demux each individual .evo and keep the .xpl file (i edit it anyway, taking out audio streams i don't use and subtitles and keep only main movie) As for the .map files, i dunno exactly what they contain but i dont think it should be a problem....this way i can have Chapters in my movies? I dunno how i'd do that w/ blu-ray tho...
edit: a little reading online says what I said above might not be possible :(...i'll try it when i get home neway :D

thanks

Last edited:
Absolutely, keeping the evo's seperate and modifiying the xpl is a good (only) way to keep chapters.

I did notice some deviations though, try it and see if we experience the same.

mod individual evos
mod xpl file
during playback in PDVD, try a chapter jump...for me, 15 secs later it'll stutter like hell for ~5 sec then return to normal.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=877470&highlight=editing+xpl

these gents also were experiencing the same but the solution didn't take on me.

Good Luck

Ryan

P.S. I just took notice, thats your thread... great question that helped me a lot. Perhaps you should be instructing me?

Good Luck

Ryan

Last edited:
heh yeh i was the author of that, but the people in there weren't demuxin, just editing the .xpl and experiencing loss in controls for FF, RW etc (which later he said was caused by not editing the .xpl correctly)....with all my hd-dvd's and edited xpls i have perfect playback with all my hd-dvds.

now, onto what i was going to try...the movie i used was Fearless. I demuxed both .evo files exactly the same, and copied over the folder structure, map files, etc. The movie loaded up fine, started playing fine. I tried to skip a chapter, and it skipped chapters fine and I did not experience the stutter that you say you experience 15secs after a chapter skip. BUT, after watching the movie for a while, the movie started to skip, as if it was going a little bit fast forward and playing, going fast forward and playing....it didn't stop till i manually either skipped a chapter again or slid the navigation slider to somewhere else...then it started playing fine again.
edit: eh you're right, it does happen after a chapter skip like 15-20 seconds later...starts skipping like crazy...

So this method of trying to keep the same file structure with editing the xpl and demuxing the .evos but keeping the same map files etc isn't working for me :/

Last edited:
I remember reading awhile back about how the .map specs are still under wraps, price of admission was in the $25,000 range with generous sprinkles of NDA's.

any new informations about demuxing an evo file and put it into the original folders with all the map files etc.?

i tried the whole thing with CRANK.
for disc 1 i deleted the l1_MainMovie.evo/map and bup files and take a smaller one (black.evo/map/bup) from another hd-dvd movie and renamed it to l1_MainMovie.evo...

So disc 1 worked absolutly fine (burned on dvd+r dl)

I tried the same with the second part of the movie (l1_MainMovie.evo..)
I deleted the l0_MainMovie.evo/map and bup and renamed the l1_MainMovie.evo to l0_MainMovie.evo . if i renamed the l1_MainMovie.bup and map also to l0.. disc won't play - Black Screen!
so i don't renamed the bup and map file, the movie played but after 15seconds the movie stutters right as you said. :-(

Back