• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

A Layman's Guide to Shrinking HDDVD Size on Hard Drive

That would be correct no folder structure or xpl required / wanted, all we will have is a single xxxxx.evo.

Showtime / MPC is my choice for playing back raw evo's, PDVD most definitely is not.

Good Luck

Ryan

I am able to do exactly as you posted but when I click on the evo file to be played after I do what you've stated the file plays fine but there is no audio what am i doing wrong?

I have 3 seperate files now a .mpa plus a .mpv plus a .sup how can I watch the movie with sound? There is no sound.

I have an HTPC so i don't care to burn to a disc just to play it off the pc.

Thanks
Chris

Last edited:
Trying it again, I think I found my mistake.

After following instructions here I hit the Demux button instead of the rebuild.

I think it must be this I will know soon enough.

Chris

Trying it again, I think I found my mistake.

After following instructions here I hit the Demux button instead of the rebuild.

I think it must be this I will know soon enough.

Chris

Hey Chris

That should be the head on the nail, rebuild instead of demux.

Good Luck

Ryan

That does look unusual, looks like some kind of interlacing issue. I remember Showtime's hardware acceleration giving all kinds of problems for me, ended up disabling it.

I wonder if another player would duplicate the results?

it doens't happen to me in powerdvd with the same demuxed movie..only in showtime...
a member at avsforum says the reason for this is:
The problem is that Showtime uses VMR9 in file mode ad Overlay in disc mode. VMR9 windowless doesn't work in Vista correctly. It doesn't work in TT 2.6 either - also jaggies everywhere. My solution for file playback is to use the Nero filters mit MPC and EVR output. Looks perfect.

it's pretty annoying to watch a movie with that happening :/

Are both VC-1 Streams demux'd regardless?

When using EVOdemux it appears that whether I choose just VC-1 stream 0 or VC-1 stream 0 & 1 that the output file is exactly the same. (King Kong)

Is there really two video streams in emmbedded in the EVO file? If so why does the output always the same size?

BTW my end result is to burn on a BD-R disc but I can't seem to get the whole thing under the 25GB mark.

Hey Red

I don't know why some discs have two video streams labeled, my experience like yours have been that they are identical. If memory serves me even in the .xpl there was no distinction.

I never archived that disc but if we're close to ~25GB the only option without re-encoding is to downgrade the audio.

Don't hate the messenger.

Ryan

Thanks Ryan for reply... as for the 2 streams I figured as much that it was bogus. I did compress the DD+ stream to AC3, and the resulting video.ts plays fine on the PC but when i burn it to BD-RE I get jitter picture and no sound what so ever.

I know I read earlier today that someone else had that same experience but I can't locate it now as to what to try to remedy the situation... any ideas?

Hey Red

I haven't yet started archiving HD-DVD's into BD yet aside for a few classics, my knowledge is limited.

For the jittery-ness, King Kong being a VC-1 title, did we pull down the frame rate to 23.976?

Good Luck

Ryan

Well now that you mention it that's exactly what it is because when i play it back on my PC where there is dialog the audio is not sync'd. Because i used the -StripPulldown when i converted the audio.

I followed your sticky but I must have missed where to set 3:2 pulldown. If you don't mind me asking at what stage (proggy) do I tell it to remove the 3:2 PD?

BTW Really aprreciate the help, I'm just tinkering right now so this isn't critical. ;-)

Does anyone have the stuttering cure

Let me start out by saying the Blu-Ray guide for shrinking is the bomb: #1 it plays 10 times more smooth than from the disc (I can actually have 3-4 other major processes going on in the background and playback is no problem) #2 I don't have to watch 8 shameless self promoting crap trailers (ie the Punisher) b4 a movie #3 My movies that downsampled audio actual play in DD now! awesome now on to my question...I'm following this process but my output stutter (especially at the beginning). I know you guys say it is PowerDVD, but I am not sold on Nero. I tried about 10 movies on Nero and 3 of them failed: #1 Transformers stuttered during major CGI scenes (the entire movie!) #2 Talladega Nights & Black Hawk Down switched the center and right front channels on my audio system (dialogue was coming out of my right channel). Is there any alternative available to cure the stuttering issue(using PowerDVD as the output software) when shrinking HD-DVD? I've used TSSplitter to join the 2 streams which knocks about 30% off the size, but I would love to get rid of some of the 15% uneeded audio and subtitle tracks. oh yeah my system is AMD Dual Core Opteron, 2GB of RAM, Nvidia 8800 GTS Thnx!

Hey MM

Thank you for the compliment, though this is the HD-DVD section.

I may be in the minority but I cannot get PDVD 3319a to play most shrunken Blurays, haali splitter notwithstanding. I'm watching as I type BHD on Nero 8 and the dialogue in on correct channel.

This is not an accusation of any sort but I know that the cracked Bluray_HD-DVD plugin for Nero that is so prevalent is not a 100% golden, even on a legitimate Nero 8 license.

Good Luck

Ryan

Last edited:
HI...
first off, GREAT guide! I use it a lot. I am running into a problem tho... evodemux is locking up on me quite frequently. I'm not sure if it's something on my system, the movie I am doing or the way I am using the program?

One question I have, do you need to change the extensions in the options for each movie? May be a stupid question, but I gotta ask. Say a movie, like King Kong, is a VC-1 video based. Do I have to change from mpv to vc1 in the options screen? it's getting really frustrating to have my system lock up time after time.

I'm going to try moving a few HD-DVD rips to my other system and try evodemux on it and see if it's the other system. Are there any known issues with firewalls, virus proggies, anydvd HD, etc?

or maybe another program that does the same thing as evodemux? I'm not looking to compress, change formats or anything like that - just strip out the extra crap like audio commentaries and subtitles. Raw EVO works just great with my system with Showtime...

Hey Jim

No, switching the output format wouldn't make any difference as it doesn't affect the underlying codec, it only affects what programs can "see" the file.

EVOdemux hasn't been updated recently, good alternative progs for .evo manipulation would be eac3to or, I haven't tried it myself, TSremux.

Good Luck

Ryan

Hey Jim

No, switching the output format wouldn't make any difference as it doesn't affect the underlying codec, it only affects what programs can "see" the file.

EVOdemux hasn't been updated recently, good alternative progs for .evo manipulation would be eac3to or, I haven't tried it myself, TSremux.

Good Luck

Ryan

thanks Ryan... turns out I can do them non-stop on my other machine. not sure if it's something loaded that interferes, or the fact that the good machine is a quad-core intel and the locking up one is a dual core AMD?

the other thing I noticed is that I tried reading from the VPL file and if I do that, I get all the good info like what sound track is what language, which subtitles are which... but if i then rebuild I get no sound!

I'llstick with what works tho - I don't have a HD DVD drive in the other machine tho, so I had to get a big portable drive to move things - even over the network it takes awhile to move the movies!

I'll try the others you mentioned as well - thanks

Has anyone tried playing remuxed video + audio (no subtitles) from modified XPL with Arcsoft TMT ?

Demuxing and remuxing with EVOdemux, the results were encouraging with TMT version 2.1.6.105 a few months ago but using TMT version 2.1.6.110, playback stalls at the end of the first remuxed EVO. TMT version 2.1.6.110 also crashes when playing some EVO's directly.

UPDATE:
After further testing I have found that TMT version 110 will continue onto the second rebuilt EVO with playback from XPL but only when all the demuxed tracks are rebuilt into the EVO. This is a different result to what I had with TMT version 105 and a somewhat useless outcome from the perspective of demuxing and remuxing EVO's to save disc space.

UPDATE 2:
On Vista with SP1 installed (no PowerDVD) I first encounter the above problems when changing from version 2.1.6.105 to 2.1.6.109.

Last edited:
Back