• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

4K/UHD Blu-ray Discs and BDXL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I know it looks like im "Banging on" about Resolution but its only because this is so important regarding how we understand the level of benefit we get from the new, and the "new to come" standards.
It is NOT for any points scoring as I think its be seen as.

In other words, in plain English, how "much better" compared to bla bla is this or that standard.

So the ONLY way to get the real feel is to use the Resolution figure.
Number of pixels will become higher and higher and pass on no meaningful information for us to use as evaluation.

If we use HD as our baseline, and use Resolution to compared to that baseline, then we get a true feel and a clear Picture (no pun) for comparison.

So using HD baseline and plain English to describe: (Resolution figure in bold)

HD baseline 1x (2073600 pixels)
4K UHD can be up to 2x better than HD (8294400 pixels)
8K UHD can be up to 4x better than HD (33177600 pixels)
(Possible future standard) 16K UHD would be up to 8x better than HD (132710400 pixels)

If you look at the pixel count in each case, it gives you no feel at all for evaluation, in fact it does exactly the opposite and gives a completely false feel. Only the Resolution figure provides you with the information you need.

That's why I have been trying to put this across, it is important to us.

P.S.
A useful thing to think about is that you can use the Resolution figure to work out how much bigger a new TV could be than your existing HD TV and stay with the same pixel density (i.e. pixels per square Centimetre) you have now.

So for example, if you wanted say a 4K UHD TV, the resolution figure is 2x, then you can have a TV that is twice the width and height of your existing HD TV and the pixel density (pixels per square Centimetre) will be the same as your existing HD TV.

If you wanted say a 8K UHD TV, the resolution figure is 4x, then you can have a TV that is 4 times the width and height of your existing HD TV and the pixel density (pixels per square Centimetre) will be the same as your existing HD TV.

etc....

Last edited by a moderator:
rotty dog I don't know why you keep bringing this up ? The screen is an area not a length, therefore you need 4 HD screen to make up one single UHD screen, therefore it's 4 times the resolution, resolution of a screen in pixels = # horizontal lines x # pixels per each horizontal line. It is not really important since we all know what's HD, UHD and 4K, So lets keep the thread within the subject.

I'm sorry but 4K it is NOT 4x the resolution it is 2x

The pixel Ratio is NOT the Resolution Ratio. That's the mistake a lot of people make, you included.

That's why I keep bringing it up.

READ THE PAPERS ON THIS

Just out of interest, if you think that 4K is 4x the resoulution of HD and HD being 1920x1080, please tell us what you think 2x HD figures would be.

(I would put money on your answer LOL)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry but 4K it is NOT 4x the resolution it is 2x

The pixel Ratio is NOT the Resolution Ratio. That's the mistake a lot of people make, you included.

That's why I keep bringing it up.

READ THE PAPERS ON THIS

Just out of interest, if you think that 4K is 4x the resoulution of HD and HD being 1920x1080, please tell us what you think 2x HD figures would be.

(I would put money on your answer LOL)

(1920x1080)x4 = 8,294,400 = 3840x2160 = UHD resolution, send me the check and lets move on.

I know what the pixel count is for each resolution.

Answer the question: What is 2x HD pixel x pixel

Closest would be a 2560x1600 monitor which comes in just under 2xHD

Sorry delsam34, but Rotty dog is 100% right. "Resolution" is a technical term with a very specific definition, and UHD has only 2 times the resolution of HD. If you're looking at an object on an HD screen that's a white pixel next to a black one (say on a gray background), that would be the limiting case. If that object moves further away from the HD camera, the black and white pixels will have to merge into a gray one. Now, if you switch to a UHD system, the camera/object distance can just double and you'd have the same limiting case as before, hence twice the resolution.
Many, many people, and a number of set manufactures have incorrectly stated that UHD has 4 times the resolution of HD - WRONG! Four times the pixels does not mean an imaging system has four times the "resolution". ("8K" will have 4 times the resolution of HD.)

"Answer the question: What is 2x HD pixel x pixel" ????????????????????????????
Resolution of a screen in pixels = # horizontal lines x # pixels per each horizontal line, UHD has 4 times the details in resolution of an HD panel, you will need 4 HD screens to make up one single UHD screen, When you go to the store to buy tile for your kitchen you don't just tell them my kitchen is 11ft long, you have to mention length and width to determine how many tiles you need, now lets say the tile is 8x8inch you want a smaller tile that is only half the size 4x4inch (per your thinking, I think it's 4 times smaller) does that means you only need twice the total number of tiles the kitchen needs, no you need 4 times the number of tiles to cover the kitchen floor with the smaller size tile, horizontal pixels or vertical lines only don't define a screen it has to be in a form of 1080x1920 or 2060x3840 and that is the resolution or definition of a modern 16/9 screen hence the name HD or high definition, you can post as many links as you want there is a lot of wrong information on the net that just adds fuel to the fire, Why don't we just keep the thread within the subject, we can keep arguing for decades and it will not change anything, at the end HD is still 1080x1920, UHD is 2160x3840, 4K is 2160x4096(not 16/9 format, for professional production only). Call it 2x, 4x, 3y it doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Just measure the distance of the diagonal of a rectangle and compare it with the diagonal of other rectangles to determine the correct resolution. :)

Just measure the distance of the diagonal of a rectangle and compare it with the diagonal of other rectangles to determine the correct resolution. :)
That's the screen size, used by manufacturers, you can have 55" screen and 70" screen and yet they have the same resolution.

My God dellsam you wont have it that your wrong will you.

A very bad trait.

Take it on the chin.

Are ANY of us right ALL the time, NO of course not.

It DOES matter, you are giving people the wrong information regarding how to judge the worth or not re TV formats.

Ok you win, can we end the argument? I hope We don't post about resolution in this thread anymore.

Dellsam I promise you I wasn't after any win for myself, I wanted this misconception to be obliterated so people had a simple and accurate way to assess the differences between TV's and not this lie that is being pushed in the advertising of these products..

I wanted a win for people that often read these forums with the purpose of getting help and advice.

Im ALL in favour of UHD TV's (perhaps im not confident re the media) but as I say I have no problem with these sets.

Im glad you posted back.
Thanks

Thread is gone downhill, there is no help given here. I might just delete a few threads. Please do not let this happen again. There will be consequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back