• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Discussion Download Speed Of Media

Link13

Has anyone else noticed the download speed change when using AnyStream? For me, it starts fast and slows down immensely in a few minutes. Example: I've been getting 22 minute shows with average quality. I'll get the first 5 or 6 episodes within 4 minutes. Then, by the 6th or 7th, the speed is now 1 episode approximately every 3 to 6 minutes. The lower the "Presently available quote" goes, the slower the download. Additionally, when it says "5 seconds left" at the bottom, have you noticed you'll wait for 30 seconds and the time left doesn't change (or time left is inaccurate)?

I'm not trying to knock the program at all. I love it. I'm just wondering if it's my computer, or something the developers need to look into as a fix for a future update.

I didn't record my screen, as if I do it now, the speed change won't be evident. I'll have to completely shut down my computer and wait for my "Presently available quota" to refill to max. That's the only time I notice the speed increase again. I'll try to remember to record video and upload at a later time.

Last edited:
Additionally, when it says "5 seconds left" at the bottom, have you noticed you'll wait for 30 seconds and the time left doesn't change (or time left is inaccurate)?
At that time the downloaded file is "put together" ... the waiting time depends on your target device.
On a fast M.2 SSD you barely notice it, when downloading to a Network share (probably on Wifi) you WILL notice.

Additionally, when it says "5 seconds left" at the bottom, have you noticed you'll wait for 30 seconds and the time left doesn't change (or time left is inaccurate)?
I think that was the point when it showed the little Please wait window thing, it also doesn't show up for me anymore. I think it is finishing the file up as before, but the window is gone.
Now I saw cartman wrote something similar already.

On a fast M.2 SSD you barely notice it, when downloading to a Network share (probably on Wifi) you WILL notice.
Yes that's it, on my local drive it's fast, no problem, on my network drive (wired) I must choose between a speed from x4 to x8 if I don't want to be stuck in AS. But the speed is the same during all the downloads, the speed doesn't decrease with downloads like OP.

i only experience slowdowns with AP here in SUI. like, i get 40MB/s on first few episodes, then it drops down to like 5-8MB/s. all other providers work just fine so i think AP servers throttle especially around 7-9pm. same thing happens when i VPN to AP US, but there i get lower fast speeds (up to 25MB/s) and higher low speeds (baround 10MB/s). my conclusion is this is not an AS issue. try downloading in the morning and then around 7-9pm, see how it goes. that goes for AP. if you are experiencing slowdowns across the board, well... something might be afoot.

I too have notice a serious speed decrease in the last week or so. Downloads used to progress very quickly, in fact I could select a movie, and DL it in time to watch it while I fixed a snack. Now it takes a much longer time so that I have switched to queueing up a few movies and letting DL over night, even then it can take an hour or more to DL a single title. And yes I have my settings to allow max thru-put. :)

I too have notice a serious speed decrease in the last week or so. Downloads used to progress very quickly, in fact I could select a movie, and DL it in time to watch it while I fixed a snack. Now it takes a much longer time so that I have switched to queueing up a few movies and letting DL over night, even then it can take an hour or more to DL a single title. And yes I have my settings to allow max thru-put. :)
Can you please upload a log file? Is this with just a single provider or is it with all? There have been no changes in download speeds, I have tested all and it should take no more than 5 minutes with a slow internet connection to download a 3 to 4GB file. I have an avg cable connection and my downloads take less than 3 minutes. You may be experiencing your internet provider is lowering your access during peak hours.

Last edited:
It needs to be kept in mind that behind the scenes you are not always downloading from the same source. As you download you are probably bouncing around between different CDN servers. Some might be snappy and quick and some might not be as fast due to a multitude of reasons. There are other things in play here as well. Maybe during 1 download nothing is going on much on your network but then you start pulling a large file or someone in your house starts streaming something else and now you have less bandwidth available.

The reality is there are many factors in download speed and many are variable depending on current conditions on your network, where you are pulling the file from and everything in between. The app is quite frankly one of the last things that would be the issue.

Can you please upload a log file? Is this with just a single provider or is it with all? There have been no changes in download speeds, I have tested all and it should take no more than 5 minutes with a slow internet connection to download a 3 to 4GB file. I have an avg cable connection and my downloads take less than 3 minutes. You may be experiencing your internet provider is lowering your access during peak hours.
Here are 2 log files, one from a Netflix DL and one from an Amazon DL.
I have been using Comcast for some time now, and have experienced no DL speed issues until just recently.
Hope that helps.

Attachments

• netflix-Marnie.astlog
    195.4 KB · Views: 1
  • prime-MacArthur.astlog
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I took a long look and whatever it is it has nothing to do with the program. I am not experiencing slow downloads from any of the providers, apart from a few people here who had network issues, (I do not see any network issues in your logfile). Are you sure you have " Unlimited: "speeds set in your settings panel?
Unlimited.jpg

Yup, it was the first thing I checked.
Maybe they are on to me, perhaps I'll try a VPN.

Yup, it was the first thing I checked.
Maybe they are on to me, perhaps I'll try a VPN.
They are not on to you, I wouldn't worry about that. I would make sure your throughput is okay, Try downloading when its not peak hours for internet use. maybe you will see a difference

I have been downloading during off-hours.
It's been taking so long, that I've been setting up the downloads to happen overnight.
Its just very strange, I changed nothing and suddenly DLs are really slow.

I have been downloading during off-hours.
It's been taking so long, that I've been setting up the downloads to happen overnight.
Its just very strange, I changed nothing and suddenly DLs are really slow.
Check your hard drive health. I would try cleaning my rig, cookies, and memory, do you find other processes running in the background? Look at your Task Manger.

They are not on to you, I wouldn't worry about that. I would make sure your throughput is okay, Try downloading when its not peak hours for internet use. maybe you will see a
I'm betting with the lack of current live programming (unless you love reality shows), the amount of streaming has probably increase dramatically. More streamers
slower service.

When you have to depend on another factor besides the program you are using there is always a possibility that everything will not run smoothly every time. That said, I have not experienced any slowdowns but that doesn't mean they will not happen.

Your ISP may be using dynamic bandwidth management which throttles traffic of heavy users during peak usage times. Comcast may have a saturated node in your neighborhood and is using throttling to slow down traffic until they can do a node split. They can shape traffic speeds based on usage. I have seen wide variations on speed with AS, sometimes with individual titles. I assume this is because of different CDNs and network conditions.

Your ISP may be using dynamic bandwidth management which throttles traffic of heavy users during peak usage times. Comcast may have a saturated node in your neighborhood and is using throttling to slow down traffic until they can do a node split. They can shape traffic speeds based on usage. I have seen wide variations on speed with AS, sometimes with individual titles. I assume this is because of different CDNs and network conditions.
All very true...fortunately, I'm no longer under the thumb of cable internet any longer...I now have unlimited, unthrottled fiber....and it's great.

Back