• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Discussion Download Speed Of Media

How's this?
Tracert 2.jpg
I use a dedicated mini PC for AS downloading and this is not from that one (it was busy if you know what I mean), it's from my "daily driver" in the middle of the day.
The download speeds dips to around 600-700 during peak usage times such as now, but in the middle of the night I'm a downloading maniac.

Last edited:
What the hell
Is that a good what the hell or a bad what the hell?

I do lose a little speed also as I'm not wired for ethernet. Every room is wired for coax though so I set up a MOCA network. (Motorola 2.5GB)
Works great actually since I no longer need the coax for cable.

Is that a good what the hell or a bad what the hell?
Both. Good because I am impressed with the speed you have, and bad because I can only dream of that. I have 100 MB/s without an option for Gigabit. There is Gigabit in the next bigger City, but I am not sure if that would be available in my City,

Both. Good because I am impressed with the speed you have, and bad because I can only dream of that. I have 100 MB/s without an option for Gigabit. There is Gigabit in the next bigger City, but I am not sure if that would be available in my City,
Hang in there....one day I had crappy service and noticed a truck burying communications cables...3 months later had fiber and told the other company to go.....away.

Impressive! I collect Blue Ray's and I did a little test a while back. I ripped a BD that I have, using Clone BD of course, and the same movie was on HULU and I downloaded it for a time comparison. Both was at 1920x1080 at around 5GB. I downloaded that movie about the same time with the same quality that I ripped the hard copy. So, now I'm asking myself, why do I have all this physical media when I can get the same result by downloading?
Yes, I know there are advantages to owning a hard copy and not all movies are available for downloading, but I'm running out of storage space and I can put 500 +or- ripped BD's on a 4TB drive.

Last edited:
I can put 500 +or- ripped BD's on a 4TB drive.
thats what i thought, then i did a bit of math. on the lower end bluray remuxes are what, 30gb? on the upper end, ive seen as high as 80gb. so, lets say 30+80=110/2. lets round it at 50gb. 50gb x 20 movies, 1tb. x4, that is 80 movies. 10tb, roughly lets say 200 movies. that becomes expensive quite fast. now, those are remuxes. rips and such, yeah. the largest movies folder i has is 6.65gb and it stores 1133 movies. second laargest movies folder is 4.92tb and it stores 720 movies, which compared to the first one is roughly in the same ballpark. i wanted to remux, i went on a used bluray buying frenzy from goodwillbooks (check it... they used to be way cheaper, but then they updated the website and the prices went up). in the end i collected around 300 of them, and when i did the math i decided that remuxes are not for me. lol. way to large files, and besides if the movie is grainy it looks like sheeeit at 4gb, 8gb or 70gb, lol.

if the movie is grainy it looks like sheeeit at 4gb, 8gb or 70gb, lol.
Most folks on this forum knows the main movie size on a BD depends on the way it was filmed or converted to Blue Ray. If a movie was converted from a well used video tape or film, the old saying garbage in, garbage out applies and produces a smaller file size on a disc. But, if a movie is filmed at 35mm or 70mm (I read 70mm gives the best resolution for Blue Ray and 4K digitizing) it can produce a rather large file size but gives a one a much better viewing experience.
I've got some low budget BD's that are les than 10GB in size while some of the blockbuster movies are 30GB or more. I usually rip movies around 75% of thier original quality and my TV upscales the movie so I don't see a difference in quality from the BD itself.

I usually rip movies around 75% of thier original quality and my TV upscales the movie so I don't see a difference in quality from the BD itself.
yeah, anything reducing the filesize is welcomed. btw, i tried upscaling on my nvidia shield and i get a sheeit picture when streaming. like, noticably worse. i keep it on basic aka off. no AI or advanced. dunno. does that thing do anything at all, lol? what would use scenario be for me to see it doing something other than effing things up? ole xvid dvdrip played in plex? other player? thanks, sorry for offtopic.

Last edited:
How's that MOCA thing working for you? Been thinking about trying it.
Works great for me....I'd start with a set to begin with. I originally set up a connection between my NAS and the main TV for streaming because the distance
between the TV and the router was high and the signal strength was terrible. That was the last problem I had with streaming. Depending on your modem, it may be MOCA ready already saving you the cost of an adapter. You can google that to see.

yeah, anything reducing the filesize is welcomed. btw, i tried upscaling on my nvidia shield and i get a sheeit picture when streaming. like, noticably worse. i keep it on basic aka off. no AI or advanced. dunno. does that thing do anything at all, lol? what would use scenario be for me to see it doing something other than effing things up? ole xvid dvdrip played in plex? other player? thanks, sorry for offtopic.
Not sure what you're asking. Do I have an nVidia Shield? Yes I do and I use all the time. What settings do I use? Default settings, right out of the box and never had any issues.
My TV has a lot to do with the quality.

Another possible factor you could consider is if you're using a drive with SMR technology. It might be filling up the memory and then slowing down because of the way it empties the memory onto the disk platters. The SMR technology sucks! I run into that issue all the time. Just thought I'd throw that out there as a possible option hopefully you can rule out.

I'm writing this get everyone's pity so that they will forever be kind to me.

On a really really good day I might get 7 Mbps down.
A normal day is this:

20230619_220041.jpg
at least 3 days/month I get less than 1.

My day-job is rebooting my router and modem to see that magical 7 number! ;-)

Wow! That reminds me of the old days when I used a phone line for the Internet.

Wow! That reminds me of the old days when I used a phone line for the Internet.
Dial-up. Where I live we were stuck with Dial up until 2002. But now we have satellite service. It's expensive but I am lucky to be in a zone that has Gigabit service and I can get it for free. Google is the provider.

Gigabit.jpg

Last edited:
Back