• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Real Strange Windows 10 thingie.... (in general - not DVD related)

Like I said - wipe it on final install.
Then keep doing "windows update" until it's "done done".
-W

Like I said - wipe it on final install.
Then keep doing "windows update" until it's "done done".
-W
You've talked me into it.

I'll work on it this Friday, and post the results from my Win 7 laptop.

i was pleasantly surprised by 10 too. Once you unpin the few tiles from the start menu and resize it, you've got yourself a basic "classic" start menu. Works fine. Then a few changes to security policy (only available in pro and up) to prevent automated windows updates and it's pretty decent.

i was pleasantly surprised by 10 too. Once you unpin the few tiles from the start menu and resize it, you've got yourself a basic "classic" start menu. Works fine. Then a few changes to security policy (only available in pro and up) to prevent automated windows updates and it's pretty decent.

Agreed. My start menu has no tiles.
My truely "go to" programs are on the taskbar, as has been the case since XP.
Also clear the "most used" items from the start menu (as soon as it installs) and only allow stuff that you really want there to exist there. And you can set start to not display ""recently installed" items. Giving "most used" more breathing room.
W

Daybreak's EQ (1)- but the windows 7 UI thing was about windows.
-W

Sorry I was just curiously happy to find someone who played EQ. I played on the test server for 7 years back in the day :)

I actually recently went through all the pains to run the Project 1999 version. So I might get back into it.

Sorry I was just curiously happy to find someone who played EQ. I played on the test server for 7 years back in the day :)

I actually recently went through all the pains to run the Project 1999 version. So I might get back into it.

Cazic thule server is still very active - by today's standards.
NOTE: I looged ONE toon in today - and it got the 7 window - LOL!
-W

Clams, overall, how do you like Windows 10? I've been contemplating on upgrading my Win 8.1 Pro PC to 10, but I'm happy with my settings on my PC.
At first I was hesitant in upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10. I had tweaked 7 to my liking and it ran everything I wanted.

I decided to at least try 10, after backing up my boot partition and downloading the ISO of the Win 10 install. Well, after being a bit confused by the newer options and layout I find 10 to be well worth the change-over. There is one app suite 10 refuses to run, at least on my upgraded system vs. a fresh install route. PowerDVD 10 OEM I received when I bought my BD-RW PC drive.

At first release there were several "ooops" with 10 such as NOT having drag-n-drop app support, but the latest version does bring back that critical feature I use all the time. Another "oops" was that on some upgraded systems 10 refused to recognize CD/DVD drives. There was an easy fix easily found on the internet. I do not know if the latest version fixes that.

There was also ZERO support for desktop themes, something I was really peeved about. That support is back, including the "glass" look.

At first the "flat" window look was a bit annoying, I liked the rounded windows widget look of 7. After several month of mashing and tweaking 10 to my liking I find the flat window look actually easier for these tired old eyes to deal with. ;)

One older desktop app I run still popup child windows with the 7 look. Sure is strange to see a main 10 looking window with retro child windows.

Having Win 10 Home keeps one VERY annoying feature, automatic updates. I don't have the desire or money to upgrade to a pro version, so I will put up with that.

Overall upgrading from 7 to 10 works just fine for me because I try to keep a clean system without adding a lot of crud junk as most people do.

I can be amazingly picky with my system and organization. I also hate what Microsoft has done to the Start Menu, native apps, etc. As such I make use of Stardock Start10 and Stardock Fences 3. This gives me much more control of my desktop and Start Menu and, obviously, brings the Start Menu back to what we all knew from pre-Windows 8. With respect to the under-the-hood changes, that is where Windows 10 really shines. On my desktop I make use of Spybot Anti-Beacon which is simple enough to use and I haven't noticed any ill effects.

Now, the drag-and-drop discussion has me confused. I've had drag-and-drop support for as long as I've had Windows 10 installed. That said, I transitioned to Windows 10 with the release of Threshold 2 so I purposely skipped a lot of the earlier issues.

On my desktop due to the setup and Frankenstein's Monster aspect of it doing upgrade installs simply never works out well and causes more grief than is worth it. I have to do clean installs. Windows 10 Pro runs beautifully. I did perform an upgrade install from Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Home on an older Dell Inspiron laptop and it could not have gone smoother minus the loss of the built-in bluetooth but that's because Dell refuses to release drivers. Otherwise it runs perfectly.

I also, added some tweaks to the registry that do the same as using the Group Policy editor in Windows 10 Pro to the Windows 10 Home system and it appears to be working properly in informing me of updates with my making the decision to install rather than being automatic just as I do with my 10 Pro desktop. There are supposeldy ways to install the Group Policy Editor in Windows 10 Home but I have no interest in messing around with that.

I have Window 10 Pro on 5 machines with all different builds, all of them have drag and drop.

At first I was hesitant in upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10. I had tweaked 7 to my liking and it ran everything I wanted.

I decided to at least try 10, after backing up my boot partition and downloading the ISO of the Win 10 install. Well, after being a bit confused by the newer options and layout I find 10 to be well worth the change-over. There is one app suite 10 refuses to run, at least on my upgraded system vs. a fresh install route. PowerDVD 10 OEM I received when I bought my BD-RW PC drive.

At first release there were several "ooops" with 10 such as NOT having drag-n-drop app support, but the latest version does bring back that critical feature I use all the time. Another "oops" was that on some upgraded systems 10 refused to recognize CD/DVD drives. There was an easy fix easily found on the internet. I do not know if the latest version fixes that.

There was also ZERO support for desktop themes, something I was really peeved about. That support is back, including the "glass" look.

At first the "flat" window look was a bit annoying, I liked the rounded windows widget look of 7. After several month of mashing and tweaking 10 to my liking I find the flat window look actually easier for these tired old eyes to deal with. ;)

One older desktop app I run still popup child windows with the 7 look. Sure is strange to see a main 10 looking window with retro child windows.

Having Win 10 Home keeps one VERY annoying feature, automatic updates. I don't have the desire or money to upgrade to a pro version, so I will put up with that.

Overall upgrading from 7 to 10 works just fine for me because I try to keep a clean system without adding a lot of crud junk as most people do.
I guess I'll get on the ball and install Windows 10 Pro this Friday then. I usually wait at least 4-6 months before installing an update/upgrade to my OS, and with all the horror stories I've heard about Windows 10, that gave me cause for concern, and I also had a devil of a time getting Windows 8 working--I then upgraded to Windows 8.1, and like moderator DrinkLyeAndDie, I use Stardock software (Start8 and Fences 3) to make Windows 8.1 look like Windows 7 a bit.

I'm happy those Stardock apps will be available for Windows 10, just so I can set up my PC how I want it, not what Microsoft wants me to have.

I wanted to update my Win 8.1 to v10, to use it after I setup my new i7 system, because I've heard the Win10 "links itself" to your motherboard when it installs itself?...is this true?

But I'm still looking for the i7 MoBo I wanted...now I worry I'll be too late for the free upgrade.

Also, what about all the internet claims that Win10 spies on you, and has Backdoor Trojans hackers are using to get into the system? Anyone else hear that too?

If you upgrade yes, the main board is registered and the os activated. That way if you then follow the upgrade immediately up with a clean install the Microsoft servers detect it and the activation remains. Backdoor trojan is a bit harsh but there's a lot of tracking and 'personalization' as they call it but that's nothing a simple piece of software like 'o&o shutup10' can't fix.

Can the board be changed and the OS re-registered to another MoBo if needed?
Or is it actually locked to only the 1st board it's registered with, that first time?

If it's the same model, I'm guessing it'll be fine. But only Microsoft can really answer that. You'd have to ask them.

True...?
I'm just hoping to have time so I can get the best i7 micro ITX board with the most features before having the OS "lock itself to it".

I hope MS allows transferring the OS. It's the Pro version, so I thing there's more "leeway" with that, from Microsoft, and allowing transferring to the new board. That's how Win8.1 Pro was supposed to work, from the agreement I signed during setup and installation...from what I remember reading.

I hope Win 10 Pro is the same.

Anyway, I did find several videos on YouTube about the Backdoor Trojans within Win 10

This guy's a bit weird, but he showed several ways to undo stuff, and mentioned about the spying stuff.
His part 1 video is at...

Part 2 ...

There's more linked videos there of others mentioning the Backdoor Trojan in Win 10, and other nasty "spying on you stuff", in Win 10

Do you think it's all a bunch of paranoia?

No because there's a lot of tracking in it one way or another. 13 pages worth of them. That's why tools such as shutup10 were created. To disable the most privacy invading/tracking ones easily without having to go dig through 13 pages.

It's just wrong to class it as a trojan. Trojans are viruses, there's no viruses in w10. Just a lot of privacy invading settings enabled by default.

I'm wondering if creating a whitelist within ones router, would block all output going anywhere it's not wanted to be.

In other words, block everything, except the necessary connections needed.

Back