• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Real Strange Windows 10 thingie.... (in general - not DVD related)

You want a real strange Win 10 "thingie?"

Try having the "Program Files (x86)" directory go "missing." Some how the directory had the hidden check box ticked, something I did not do and would never do.

And over half of the x86 software directories were hidden as well, not all.

Strange and weird indeed.

You want a real strange Win 10 "thingie?"

Try having the "Program Files (x86)" directory go "missing." Some how the directory had the hidden check box ticked, something I did not do and would never do.

And over half of the x86 software directories were hidden as well, not all.

Strange and weird indeed.
How did you uncheck the hidden directory?

Probably folder display, show hidden folders and files, untick 'hidden' check box ;-)

How did you uncheck the hidden directory?
File Explorer -> Display hidden items -> right click the hidden folder -> select Properties -> untick the Hidden attribute -> click Apply. Choose to apply the unhide action to the folder, sub-folders and files.

Get nagged by Windows for administrator access required to perform the action(s) and choose to ignore individually any files Windows can't perform the action on.

PITA, but it worked.

Last edited:
File Explorer -> Display hidden items -> right click the hidden folder -> select Properties -> untick the Hidden attribute -> click Apply. Choose to apply the unhide action to the folder, sub-folders and files.

Get nagged by Windows administrator access required to perform the action(s) and choose to ignore individually any files Windows can't perform the action on.

PITA, but it worked.
I'm happy that you got it done though.

1 Month later update:

With my main PC having been upgraded to Windows 10 Pro for over 1 month now, past the date that I could've downgraded back to Windows 8.1 Pro, I can state that I've noticed that it is much more stable than either Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 8.1 Pro.

From time to time, I'll get the BSOD when booting up my PC, but I think that is due to the fact that my PC is almost 5 years old, and I started my OS with Windows 7 Ultimate, then upgraded to Windows 8 Pro, then I went to Windows 8.1 Pro, and now, Windows 10 Pro as my OS. I'll eventually upgrade my motherboard/processor in another year or so, since both are so much cheaper these days.

I don't have any printers or scanners installed with my PC--since I didn't have any when I first built this machine (I have my Windows 7 Home laptop that came with a scanner/printer combo for any printing or scanning for that) so I assume that if I plugged in any printer/scanner combo that I'd be good to go, so I'll do that whenever I get around to needing a new printer/scanner combo.

I also feel that I need to upgrade to Solid-state drive (SSD), due to the fact I have Four internal 2 TB Western Digital hard drives, and I intend to switch over totally to SSD, due to the fact that the wear and tear on SSD is not as bad as it would be for traditional hard drives, and that I've been lucky in that my 4 hard drives came with my custom built PC, and are also approaching 5 years of age.

All the programs on my PC work the same as if they were on either Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, so I'm more than pleased at that result. As everyone that has kept up with this thread knows by now, I had to get rid of ArcSoft Total Media Theatre 5 and 6 due to the fact they became abandon-ware from ArcSoft almost 2 years ago, and that ArcSoft had drivers that messed up Windows 10 badly, so they got tossed out of my PC. I also had to remove Windows Media Center because (a) It does not work on Windows 10 due to the fact that (b) Microsoft (MS) discontinued it.

I just love the fact that all my PowerDVD Ultra versions that I own, from PowerDVD 10 Ultra (the only non-Cinavia PowerDVD that I own) to PowerDVD Ultra 12-16, all work without issue. Since PowerDVD 10 was discontinued by Cyberlink, having AnyDVD still being supported by RedFox allows me to play any Blu-ray disc/DVD that I desire, so I'll never worry about Cinavia.

I use Start 10 and Stardock Fences 3 to have the Start Menu and background set up in Windows 10 the way I want, and thanks to the people here and via PM, I've set up Windows 10 to only download updates when I want, not when MS wants. Microsoft Edge is the default browser for MS, but I still use Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome, along with the Opera browser more than I do Edge. Internet Explorer is still available, but I rarely use it now.

Sorry for this long reply, but Forum User nebostrangla wanted to know how I was doing with Windows 10, and I forgot to describe the ins and outs of my adventures with Windows 10 when my 30 day trial ended back around July 17. So overall, I like what I have with Windows 10 Pro, so much, that eventually I'll install the Windows 10 Pro flash drive that I bought from Fry's earlier this year, and it contains the keycode to install the OS on any PC without an OS.

Thank you mam.
So you've done upgrades everytime starting w/ W7 (original or update).
Have you ever clean installed any of the updates? I've never had a good experience with the upgrade of Windows. Its always been worse than what I was trying to improve.
You are supposed to be able to do a clean install with these upgrades after you upgrade and register it. And if you do go to SSD that would be the perfect time . But you already know that. And where to get the information.
Again thank you for the experience post. I'm sure others will benefit from it.
One last question;
If you could still "rollback" would you want to? And other than the familiarity of an old O/S why?
Sorry that was two.

Thank you mam.
So you've done upgrades everytime starting w/ W7 (original or update).
Have you ever clean installed any of the updates? I've never had a good experience with the upgrade of Windows. Its always been worse than what I was trying to improve.
You are supposed to be able to do a clean install with these upgrades after you upgrade and register it. And if you do go to SSD that would be the perfect time . But you already know that. And where to get the information.
Again thank you for the experience post. I'm sure others will benefit from it.
One last question;
If you could still "rollback" would you want to? And other than the familiarity of an old O/S why?
Sorry that was two.
I have done clean installs in the past, but through trial and error, I've gotten to the point where just doing the update doesn't hurt me the least.

I'll give you an example: When I updated to Windows 8 originally, I backed up my info on another hard drive, then reformatted my C: Drive, then installed 7 Ultimate, and then upgraded to 8 Pro. I did the same thing when I upgraded to 8.1 a couple of years back--I would back up my info, reformat my C: Drive, install 7, upgrade to 8, and then upgrade to 8.1. Now, for Windows 10 Pro, I just did a basic upgrade from Windows 8.1 Pro. Now, if anything ever happens to my C: Drive, I have my important info backed up on my other hard drives (and Google Drive,) so I have no major worries. Whenever I get the cash, I'm going to get some SSDs, and swap my hard drives for those babies.

If I could "roll back" to one of the earlier OSes, I would say no. I'm quite comfortable with Windows 10 Pro since I have the security settings locked down the way I want, thanks to some of the people here in this Forum that PM me how to do that, and I put away what I did in case I have to reinstall Windows 10 again. My Windows Start Menu and background settings are how I want them to be thanks to owning Start 10 and Stardock Fences 3. Also, since I have my Windows 7 Home laptop sitting near me in my place, I only use it every once in a while just to update Windows when stuff like Patch Tuesday come up. Otherwise, I use either my Windows 10 PC or my cellphone or Amazon Fire 8 HD tablet to surf the net. The only time now I'll use Windows 7 is either whenever I fire up my laptop, or if I stop over to the local library in my town.

Ironically, I just remembered that I own a copy of both Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit and Windows 8 Pro 32 bit, so I suppose if I want to, I could reformat one of my hard drives and put those two Operating Systems on my PC, but that is way too much work for me. I have software that would allow me to make a partition to do that if I want, but like I said, I'm happy with Windows 10, and I have no interest in going back to either 7 or 8/8.1.

EDIT: I just forgot: I still have a Windows Vista laptop that I use just for Patch Tuesday. It will become obsolete sometime next year. I might decide to finally learn Linux and put that OS on it.

I have done clean installs in the past, but through trial and error, I've gotten to the point where just doing the update doesn't hurt me the least.

I'll give you an example: When I updated to Windows 8 originally, I backed up my info on another hard drive, then reformatted my C: Drive, then installed 7 Ultimate, and then upgraded to 8 Pro. I did the same thing when I upgraded to 8.1 a couple of years back--I would back up my info, reformat my C: Drive, install 7, upgrade to 8, and then upgrade to 8.1. Now, for Windows 10 Pro, I just did a basic upgrade from Windows 8.1 Pro. Now, if anything ever happens to my C: Drive, I have my important info backed up on my other hard drives (and Google Drive,) so I have no major worries. Whenever I get the cash, I'm going to get some SSDs, and swap my hard drives for those babies.

If I could "roll back" to one of the earlier OSes, I would say no. I'm quite comfortable with Windows 10 Pro since I have the security settings locked down the way I want, thanks to some of the people here in this Forum that PM me how to do that, and I put away what I did in case I have to reinstall Windows 10 again. My Windows Start Menu and background settings are how I want them to be thanks to owning Start 10 and Stardock Fences 3. Also, since I have my Windows 7 Home laptop sitting near me in my place, I only use it every once in a while just to update Windows when stuff like Patch Tuesday come up. Otherwise, I use either my Windows 10 PC or my cellphone or Amazon Fire 8 HD tablet to surf the net. The only time now I'll use Windows 7 is either whenever I fire up my laptop, or if I stop over to the local library in my town.

Ironically, I just remembered that I own a copy of both Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit and Windows 8 Pro 32 bit, so I suppose if I want to, I could reformat one of my hard drives and put those two Operating Systems on my PC, but that is way too much work for me. I have software that would allow me to make a partition to do that if I want, but like I said, I'm happy with Windows 10, and I have no interest in going back to either 7 or 8/8.1.

EDIT: I just forgot: I still have a Windows Vista laptop that I use just for Patch Tuesday. It will become obsolete sometime next year. I might decide to finally learn Linux and put that OS on it.
This is why for the life of myself can't seem to figure how people can say Windows 10 is so good but yet want to Windows 7 UI. That is all I need to know Windows 10 is a failure of a O/S to start with. If you want Windows 7 Start Menu just use Windows 7 otherwise use Windows 10 "As Is" if it is that good-cause my Windows 7 that's how I use it. I also own copy of Windows 7x64 Ult Sp1 and Windows 7x86 Ult Sp1 and those will be the two O/S I'll ever need until Windows 16 comes out. Anyone having to use 3rd party software to get Windows 10 to become Windows 7 is introducing security flaws that will be breached because the 3rd party software gets hacked. So now you have 2 or more points of Security flaws for Virus and Malware/Ransomware to infiltrate your system and take over. Instead of having to worry just about the O/S and A/V you not got more security holes to cover.

This is why for the life of myself can't seem to figure how people can say Windows 10 is so good but yet want to Windows 7 UI. That is all I need to know Windows 10 is a failure of a O/S to start with. If you want Windows 7 Start Menu just use Windows 7 otherwise use Windows 10 "As Is" if it is that good-cause my Windows 7 that's how I use it. I also own copy of Windows 7x64 Ult Sp1 and Windows 7x86 Ult Sp1 and those will be the two O/S I'll ever need until Windows 16 comes out. Anyone having to use 3rd party software to get Windows 10 to become Windows 7 is introducing security flaws that will be breached because the 3rd party software gets hacked. So now you have 2 or more points of Security flaws for Virus and Malware/Ransomware to infiltrate your system and take over. Instead of having to worry just about the O/S and A/V you not got more security holes to cover.
Because Windows 7 will be end of life with no support soon

I love the new Build of Windows 10 Pro 64bit ( Build 1607 )

I love the new Build of Windows 10 Pro 64bit ( Build 1607 )
My x64 Home machine got the update, two x86 Home machines won't snag the 1607 update even manually.

Waiting for the update to finish, been over an hour and at 26%.

whee, watching water evaporate. :(

Back