• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Real Strange Windows 10 thingie.... (in general - not DVD related)

Clams

OK here's some "General Chat" for ya.

I was logged into EverQuest yesterday. I had 3 accounts / characters in game, all in "full screen-windowed mode". I could easily tab between toons as needed.
Suddenly I noticed something strange. One (and only one) of the three windows was using Windows 7 desktop style graphics. The title bar was ornate and had rounded corners, like 7. I shrunk the window a bit, and it also had the wide borders on the sides and bottom - like 7. In all appearance this was not a Windows 10 window - it was a Windows 7 window. WTF?
By the way - this was not an upgrade. It was a clean install of Windows 10 on a wiped hard drive.
I can only conclude that there is "vestigal code" left in there from Windows 7. Heh.
-W

I was logged into EverQuest yesterday. I had 3 accounts / characters in game, all in "full screen-windowed mode". I could easily tab between toons as needed.
Suddenly I noticed something strange. One (and only one) of the three windows was using Windows 7 desktop style graphics. The title bar was ornate and had rounded corners, like 7. I shrunk the window a bit, and it also had the wide borders on the sides and bottom - like 7. In all appearance this was not a Windows 10 window - it was a Windows 7 window. WTF?
By the way - this was not an upgrade. It was a clean install of Windows 10 on a wiped hard drive.
I can only conclude that there is "vestigal code" left in there from Windows 7. Heh.
-W
Clams, overall, how do you like Windows 10? I've been contemplating on upgrading my Win 8.1 Pro PC to 10, but I'm happy with my settings on my PC.

I bought a Windows 10 Pro Full Version flash drive earlier this year, so even when the Free Upgrade to 10 expires next month, I can still install it over my Win 8.1 OS if I wish, or just reformat my PC and install the OS fresh without any residue and clutter from Win 7/8/8.1 (the previous OS's that I upgraded from.)

I know I'll lose some programs (Windows Media Center, perhaps PowerDVD 10 Ultra and PowerDVD 12 Ultra) but I've heard that the OS is more stable than either 7 or 8.1.

Your thoughts?

That is because W7 is that awesome it overpowered 10. And said you gonna do what I say. LOL
:ROFLMAO::p:sneaky:

I'm not Clams but I will say that that I wouldn't downgrade from WIndows 10 to Windows 8.x or even Windows 7 and I loved Windows 7. Overall Windows 10 has been a pleasant surprise and my system is a bit a "Frankenstein's Monster" system and yet every piece of hardware works minus an old flatbed scanner (HP ScanJet 6300C) that I still refuse to replace but I found a solution for that. VueScan is the bomb. :)

WIth respect to the UI issues that's humorous and I wouldn't at all be surprised if they simply buried and hid some of the older code rather than completely cutting it out. Hell, they might have meant to yank it all but missed some. ;)

I'm not Clams

I am Clams.
(Clams I am - I do not like green eggs and ham)

But yes. Windows 10 is a very pleasant surprise.
That said - you are FAR better off doing a clean install as opposed to just the upgrade.
You do the upgrade to get the free "entitlement license" and then do a clean install from the DVD provided here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
Microsoft servers will remember that mobo is was licensed and grant the clean install the same license again.
I even deleted all the partitions on my C drive to insure clean was CLEAN.
I had no problem re-installing all my software. Even Office 2000 Pro installs - LOL

Note to W.Going: If that flash drive does not have a license key with it. - then you need to do the upgrade during the free period.
-W

WIth respect to the UI issues that's humorous and I wouldn't at all be surprised if they simply buried and hid some of the older code rather than completely cutting it out. Hell, they might have meant to yank it all but missed some. ;)

If it's in there - some hacker my find a way to unlock it eventually. (my thing was an accident - it did not repeat today.)
A lot of people like the "look" of the Windows 7 UI over the rather spartan look of 10.
-W

I am Clams.
(Clams I am - I do not like green eggs and ham)

But yes. Windows 10 is a very pleasant surprise.
That said - you are FAR better off doing a clean install as opposed to just the upgrade.
You do the upgrade to get the free "entitlement license" and then do a clean install from the DVD provided here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
Microsoft servers will remember that mobo is was licensed and grant the clean install the same license again.
I even deleted all the partitions on my C drive to insure clean was CLEAN.
I had no problem re-installing all my software. Even Office 2000 Pro installs - LOL

Note to W.Going: If that flash drive does not have a license key with it. - then you need to do the upgrade during the free period.
-W
Clams, I just checked, and my purchased Windows 10 Pro Full Edition does have a Product key with it--it is inside the box, which was a card that I had to scratch off to find the Product key like you would a iTunes gift card.

Hmmm - you MIGHT want to take the free upgrade on THIS box, and save that little jewel for another PC. :)
That's key's worth about $110 clams!
Also... If it the flashdrive ages a lot before use....
Just download the latest version from MS (currently 1511) and use your new key to activate it. That will save you a pantload of updating.
-W

Hmmm - you MIGHT want to take the free upgrade on THIS box, and save that little jewel for another PC. :)
That's key's worth about $110 clams!
Also... If it the flashdrive ages a lot before use....
Just download the latest version from MS (currently 1511) and use your new key to activate it. That will save you a pantload of updating.
-W
I'm thinking of doing that next month, Clams, but I have a question: Can I upgrade to 10, reformat my hard drive and put in 2 partitions when I re-install Win 7 Pro. That way, I can leave one partition for 7, in which I'll use to upgrade to Windows 8.1, and the OS in which I'm comfortable with, and install 7 on the other partition and use that one to upgrade to Windows 10?

I know that I'll have to un-install any other external hard drives and what not outside of my monitor and speakers/keyboard/mouse.

I'm sorry - that post confused me. LOL
-W

I'm sorry - that post confused me. LOL
-W
But, seriously, is there a way to upgrade to 10, and reformat my hard drive just so I can re-install my OS on another drive or partition down the line?

But, seriously, is there a way to upgrade to 10, and reformat my hard drive just so I can re-install my OS on another drive or partition down the line?
If you mean partition rather than reformat then yes, I don't see why not.

-W

You talking original EQ or EQ2? And if mean EQ is that Daybreaks EQ or Project 1999?

That is exactly what I want to do, since I have the Windows 10 Pro Full Version flash drive as a back up if I forget to do this before the free upgrade expires next month.

I have worked out the bugs with Windows 8.1 Pro and have it stable, but I'd love to check out Windows 10 and see what's it all about.

That is exactly what I want to do, since I have the Windows 10 Pro Full Version flash drive as a back up if I forget to do this before the free upgrade expires next month.

I have worked out the bugs with Windows 8.1 Pro and have it stable, but I'd love to check out Windows 10 and see what's it all about.

Win 10 is essentially Win 8.1 with much more polish and minus that dumpster fire of a start menu. Not that somethings were not added and its not perfect I don't mean that. It's really a safe upgrade at this point. I would take advantage of it before it expires.

You talking original EQ or EQ2? And if mean EQ is that Daybreaks EQ or Project 1999?

Daybreak's EQ (1)- but the windows 7 UI thing was about windows.
-W

Last edited:

Don't be scared - forget alternate OS's - do 10 and don't look back.
Microsoft bet the whole farm on 10 - there will never be an 11.
10 is as smart (or not) as you want it to be.
-W

It's had to reformat or write zero's to C: while the OS is running. So a re-partition is an easy way to totally wipe a drive during a clean install.
-W

Don't be scared - forget alternate OS's - do 10 and don't look back.
Microsoft bet the whole farm on 10 - there will never be an 11.
10 is as smart (or not) as you want it to be.
-W
Thanks, Clams. I'll probably do it next Friday. I want to have enough time to do it--the upgrade, just to see what happens with my system.

Back