• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

A year and still no working GJ

wysiwig3

Xp64/gj 3.0.1.5

I was a happy GJ user a couple years ago, and upgraded back in January. At that time there were still 64 bit issues, so I set it aside. This weekend, I picked up Bioshock and thought I'd give it another try. It seemed that the 64bit build was working pretty well for people.

The system build is XP64, GJ 3.0.1.5. Bioshock was patched to 1.1 (if it matters).

There's one quirk in the latest build I stumbled over when creating a profile. If the disc is in the drive you select when creating a profile, some window pops up (but it goes away to quick to read) and the GJ process terminates. I figured that one out and just left the drive ejected to start with.

Passing that hurdle and moving on with the profile creation, I come to the step to insert the disc and let the game autostart as the profile starts creating. At this time, I do see the taskbar pop up stating that GJ is doing it's thing. After exiting the game, it seems GJ has terminated again. The taskbar icon is still there, but goes away as soon as I rollover it.

I start GJ again, and there's a profile there. When I attempt to start the game via the profile, the games SecuRom crap spits out a message about needing to use an original disc and not a backup. I tried starting the game a few more times from GJ with the disc inserted. (I seem to remember the profile would add stuff as necessary on each run?)

Anyone have any ideas here? Am I missing something obvious that's been added/changed in the last couple years?

I enabled the advanced logging. The Summary.log contains two lines (starting & ending, both with the same timestamp). The Launcher.log seems normal... identifying the exe, loading 14358H.dll, and resuming the process. It does make mention that the process "is NOT 64-bit", which makes sense. On a side note, I found it strange that the GJ installer defaulted the the "Program Files (x86)" dir on this 64bit OS, but it ran just fine.

Thx for any help.

===============================================
Filter Driver Load Order - ImgBurn v2.4.1.0
===============================================

Upper Device Filter: redbook
Upper Class Filter: maplom
Device: CD/DVD-ROM Device
Lower Class Filter: maploml
Lower Class Filter: PxHlpa64
Lower Device Filter: [None Found]

Last edited:
you could try this see if it makes any difference, its not a fix for the problem but possible work around.

Open GJ, right click on the profile and choose bottom option of update, leave the disc in the drive, play it for a bit then exit game, i dont know if u need to do anything else, but take the disc outta the drive and then try again

First up... are all GJ windows gone when the exception occurs?

Secondly try capturing the profile with the "Auto stop" option disabled. This option is under advanced settings on step 4 of the profile wizard. Doing this will mean you will need to disable the profile manually when you have finished capturing the game (right-click the GJ icon and select disable).

This is not a permanent fix, however I want to see if this issue is with the process monitoring code.

Hope all that make sense ;)

followups

@mad: Thanks for the suggestions; no change though.

@matthew: With autostop disabled, the taskbar icon was still active after the game exited. As soon as I told it to disable the profile, the process terminates.

Securom made it difficult to get an active process trace, so I ended up re-attaching Procmon to the GJ process after the game exited and before I disabled the profile. If you'd find it helpful, I can get that logging data to you in some way.

Summary.log file is still empty, except for the start & stop lines with the same timestamp.

I will need to run some tests on XP 64. I will get back to you ASAP.

Made the procmon debug available

I will need to run some tests on XP 64. I will get back to you ASAP.

No problem. I've just sent you a PM with a link to d/l the procmon data file if it's helpful to you in any way.

Well... initial tests showed there is a problem. As a result, I will be making this issue a top priority.

I think I have the same issue with 64-bit Vista. I haven't tried the remedies suggested, but everything would look fine until I exited Bioshock and then GJ terminated. It created a profile but that had the same error. I just got the Vista machine and this was the first game I tried so I wasn't sure if it was just Bioshock or all games.

When you get the fix for XP64, make sure it works for Vista64 as well and I'll be a very happy user again.

Thanks,
jim

3.0.1.6 - No Change

Sadly, I can report that the behavior is identical as my previous reports using the new build.

Same thing (Vista x64 & GJ 3.0.1.5) as others

Not being as savvy as the skilled people here, it didn't dawn on me - I was getting the same results as others, with X-Plane 9 and thought it was me?

I'm in progress with ProtectionID (scanning the test build Vista x64) but I don't think it'll change anything - I'm seeing what the others are describing, but using only a trial version until I'm convinced that GJ works before buying X-Plane 9.

I can borrow someone's copy of Bioshock or Gears of War, but like I said originally, I'm not game savvy and not familiar at all with those titles, so I won't impose on this forum, til someone finds a cure, maybe?

Not being as savvy as the skilled people here, it didn't dawn on me - I was getting the same results as others, with X-Plane 9 and thought it was me?

I'm in progress with ProtectionID (scanning the test build Vista x64) but I don't think it'll change anything - I'm seeing what the others are describing, but using only a trial version until I'm convinced that GJ works before buying X-Plane 9.

I can borrow someone's copy of Bioshock or Gears of War, but like I said originally, I'm not game savvy and not familiar at all with those titles, so I won't impose on this forum, til someone finds a cure, maybe?

Please try v3.0.1.7 (available from the forum).

Can you please try v3.0.1.7 as it has better bug reporting etc.

No real change. GJ process is still gone after game terminates, leaving the tasktray icon until rolled over. If I tell it not to auto-stop the profiling, the GJ process is at least still running after the game exits. This is different behavior from 3.0.1.5 and .6, but it still terminates abruptly and without notice when instructed to stop profiling. On one one attempt, it generated a crash report to Microsoft.

I did notice a regression though: on the profile creation/game select screen, pressing a letter no longer jumps to the proper position in the games list.

On one one attempt, it generated a crash report to Microsoft.

Are you sure this is the M$ one? This version of GJ can also generate a report? Check in the GJ directory for a file called "Bug Report.log". If you have one post here.

Are you sure this is the M$ one? This version of GJ can also generate a report? Check in the GJ directory for a file called "Bug Report.log". If you have one post here.

Yep, I'm sure. My wife works at the empire, so I'm pretty familiar with them. The GUI unfortunately would not let me copy from the window listing "what info is being sent." However, there was a secondary file it referenced in the local settings/temp dir that I was able to grab a copy of it. It appears to match all files open with that process. I see the 14358*.dll, Gamejackal.exe, the maplom files, and a few others. It doesn't list any detail of what was going on at the time of failure; just checksum, file & products versions, text strings, etc. Identifying info for back-end reviewers.

I did check though; no report.log file present in the GJ dir.

3.0.1.9 continues to fail under xp64

Just to let you know, I tried all this again with 3.0.1.8 and 3.0.1.9 and saw no operational differences. GJ contines to just die after terminating the profile. The log files appear empty; just a start & stop message but no content. Also, there's a new empty file called "Porfile Shutdown.log"--filename typo in the debug code?

Just to let you know, I tried all this again with 3.0.1.8 and 3.0.1.9 and saw no operational differences. GJ contines to just die after terminating the profile. The log files appear empty; just a start & stop message but no content. Also, there's a new empty file called "Porfile Shutdown.log"--filename typo in the debug code?

We have made changes in this very area from beta v3.0.2.0 and it should either work or give more detail as too why it doesn't. Please give that a go when it's released (in a day or two).

PS we have fixed the typo also ;)

3.0.2.0 report

The logging seems to be working better with the 3.0.2.0 version, but the app is still exiting abruptly and the created profile does not work. Attaching the logging, though it looks limited in info.

I did experiment a bit, and perhaps it's time to step back and see if you're looking in the wrong area. I can find two places where GJ has consistantly aborted without message since 3.0.1.5: 1) when creating a new profile and the disc is still inserted, it will die upon clicking next to go to the last screen that would normally say "insert the disc now...", and 2) upon deactivating the profile (when the disc is still inserted).

What's happening under the hood in those two places? My gut feeling is that the "magic driver" is being inserted and removed from the work-flow.

As a secondary test, I tried running the Bioshock profile without the disc inserted. The profile kicked in, the game launcher started, and Securom presented the error that no disc was inserted - retry/cancel. If I click cancel, the profile deactivates and GJ was still running. I tried again, but at the prompt I inserted the disc and then selected cancel to see what GJ would do. As I suspected, GJ bombed out instantly.

Attachments

• GJ_20_logs.zip
    2.2 KB · Views: 3
Progress!

Hurrah! GJ no longer dies upon game exit. I started using the new version with 3.0.1.5, and this is the first time I've seen the profiling(?) take place after the game..... at least it's doing analysis and chewing on a CD for 7-10mins... I assume that's what it is.

However, the profile still fails to circumvent the checks for BioShock 1.1. I installed Tomb Raider: Legend just to see if it was the one game. TR:L also creates a profile, but it doesn't starts w/o SecureRom saying "wrong disc". Perhaps a bad 2nd test and I should dig out a game that uses something besides SecureRom.

And there's finally substance in the logs.

Matthew, thanks for your efforts here. How can I help next?

Attachments

• GJ3021_logs.zip
    7.9 KB · Views: 3
Back