• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Xbox One - Wont Play any Backed up BD Movies - Error 0x91d70000

You wouldn't happen to remember the model number would, it would be interesting to see the specs in the manual ?
The manual for the Xbox One is useless, it lists no specs or what media is supported.

Just checked their site, must have ben an old model, I can only imagine how people griped about that !

The Sharp Aquos players will only play replicated discs. Here is the small sample of players http://www.ebay.com/bhp/sharp-aquos-blu-ray-player

Last edited:
And to make this worse, there is no mention inside the packaging or externally on the packaging. There is not a single reference to anything BD related at all, not even the logo on the system or the game discs, no region coding on the the box (A / B / C) - Im sure this is against consumer law.

How could that be against any law? If it makes no reference what so ever about playing Blu-ray discs, it's not a Blu-ray player. (Thus the giant 'Xbox' GAMING SYSTEM logo on the box.) If it just happens to play replicated blu-ray movies, then hey, cool bonus feature. But if they aren't flaunting that it plays Blu-ray movies _at all_, then there's nothing you can complain about when you discover that it can't play EVERY Blu-ray movie disc. (I've never seen one in person, so I don't know exactly what's on the box or system).

I'm sure if people complain enough, they'd be happy to remove the Blu-ray movie playback completely, that would solve all their complaint problems. :) I'm sure their stance would be 'If you want a Blu-ray movie player, buy a Blu-ray movie player.'

And, if the official Blu-ray logo is _not_ on the box, manual or system, it is not required to adhere to _ANY_ blu-ray movie playback requirements (as it's not officially a blu-ray player).

(Just out of complete curiosity (and totally off topic), does it play normal audio CDs? I was really surprised to find out the PS4 doesn't do that...)

Xbox One - Wont Play any Backed up BD Movies Microsoft does it to us once more

the XBOX One cannot read play BD-R discs this is by design

How could that be against any law? If it makes no reference what so ever about playing Blu-ray discs, it's not a Blu-ray player. (Thus the giant 'Xbox' GAMING SYSTEM logo on the box.) If it just happens to play replicated blu-ray movies, then hey, cool bonus feature. But if they aren't flaunting that it plays Blu-ray movies _at all_, then there's nothing you can complain about when you discover that it can't play EVERY Blu-ray movie disc. (I've never seen one in person, so I don't know exactly what's on the box or system).

I'm sure if people complain enough, they'd be happy to remove the Blu-ray movie playback completely, that would solve all their complaint problems. :) I'm sure their stance would be 'If you want a Blu-ray movie player, buy a Blu-ray movie player.'

And, if the official Blu-ray logo is _not_ on the box, manual or system, it is not required to adhere to _ANY_ blu-ray movie playback requirements (as it's not officially a blu-ray player).

(Just out of complete curiosity (and totally off topic), does it play normal audio CDs? I was really surprised to find out the PS4 doesn't do that...)

Looks like you're pretty happy about people getting xboned. 8)

It's a TERRIBLE blu-ray player, anyway. The interface was designed by 5 year olds and the PQ is horrifyingly bad. For a second room having BD playback is nice...like for my wife when she gets her XB1 for Xmas. But for a home theater? No one should be using the XB1 as a BD player. And yes, it's designed not to play BD-R's. Fortunately the guys who invented BD have a "gaming console" that can. I've already tested BD-R playback on my PS4 and it works just fine. And the PQ on the PS4 is pretty damn close to madVR output of my HTPC. Now if they can add 3D playback and clean up their interface, the PS4 is actually a worthy BD player. The XB1? Forget it.

Looks like you're pretty happy about people getting xboned. 8)

Hehe, well even I have to admit that complaining that a game system won't play movies isn't going to get you anywhere (although I still recommend the PS3 if you just want to watch movies. PS4 isn't too bad, but I don't like the interface, and it won't play CDs which I still use, so I'd need another player anyway...)

I learned more about this today though since we have 4 of these floating around the office...

When you buy a Xbox One, it doesn't have the ability to play Blu-ray discs _at all_. Thus the 'no logos on the box', etc. If the user wants to watch a Blu-ray movie, they have to download an app on the Xbox to enable that functionality (which is free and largely automatic). So, if you want to know the details about how the Blu-ray player app will work, you can go to Microsoft's website and read about it here:
http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/apps/watch-bluray-dvd-movies

Of specific note to the OP of this thread from that page:
The Blu-ray player on the Xbox One console only supports mastered Blu-ray discs and DVDs.

There.
It's clearly stated on their website- the Xbox One will only play replicated Blu-rays and DVDs (although I've heard that, in reality, it will play DVD-Rs. But I don't think it will play Blu-ray style content off them, like AVCHD. Didn't test it though). No recordable format of these discs is supported.

I found it interesting that when I put BD-RE of a movie in the player for the first time (first blu-ray movie in the player, that is), it _knew_ it was a Blu-ray movie and prompted the install of the Blu-ray player software. Then it gave me the 'no playback' error. So the hardware can definitely read and recognize the discs. So there's always the possibility of the restriction being removed if they get enough complaints...

Last edited:
That's correct...it's not a hardware limitation. It's 100% a software "issue". But their blu-ray "app" was coded by monkeys trying to write shakespear. LOL. It's seriously aweful. I agree with the PS4 interface. It will improve though. The PQ is improved over the PS3, which was already quite impressive. The XB1 COULD be good if they update the app. But there's no bitstreaming, and given the "quality" of the app itself, I have to question their audio decoding ability. IMO they should have OEM'd something from Cyberlink or ArcSoft. Then again, it's not too late. Being an app it can be updated to whatever they want. I have hope that both systems will improve. However, I doubt MS will remove the BD-R restriction...as ridiculous as it is. No home movies for you! :D

Website is B.S. If, for a living, I master wedding videos on BD-R using the Blu-Ray structure in my home or small business studio, how am I not making mastered discs? 8)

I suggest, giving your Xbone to your dog, and see if he buries it in the back yard. ;)

Website is B.S. If, for a living, I master wedding videos on BD-R using the Blu-Ray structure in my home or small business studio, how am I not making mastered discs? 8)

You don't 'master' discs on BD-R in your home... Mastering refers to the process of creating a 'glass master' at the replication plant and manufacturing pressed discs. It's an industry term, and has been mis-used apparently if people think making a BD-R of a home video is 'mastering' (although I have to admit, you are the first I've heard say something like that...). And due to Blu-ray requirements, mastered discs _have_ to be AACS encrypted, it's not an option. That's one of the ways players can easily detect the difference from mastered discs and BD-Rs.

If you are just programming home video onto BD-R, you are 'authoring' (which is still the initial process before mastering and replication). If you mass-produce BD-Rs for any reason, that's referred to as duplication (as apposed to replication which is making the actual pressed discs the studios sell).

Thus the statement still holds true- 'mastered' discs are what the 'mastering facility' makes, (i.e.: replicated pressed discs).

I'm not sure there's a single word that would be understood by everyone. Mastered discs, replicated discs, store-bought discs? Those could all be confused or mis-understood.

Last edited:
Gotta love you big corporation apologists. You have an answer for everything. Everything. I wasn't even really being serious.

I don't know what's worse, your posts, or just knowing you people exist.

Gotta love you big corporation apologists. You have an answer for everything. Everything. I wasn't even really being serious.

He's right. IIRC, even AnyDVD HD has to make pressed original discs look like BD-Rs to Windows to get around the AACS mandate (not to mention BD-ROM Mark, etc.) You can call making BD-Rs of home movies "mastering" all you want, but obviously M$ used "mastered" in the Xbone manual to mean "pressed & encrypted". Of course, I'm not about to buy an Xbone anytime soon either...

You asked a question, I provided an answer... If you don't want a response, don't post in the thread.

Trust me, the world is a better place with people that know what's going on vs the ones that just pretend they know... 8) Not really sure how else to even respond to this...?

I have no affiliation with a 'big corporation', I've just been making a living making Blu-rays since the format was invented, and as such I do happen to know quite a bit about it. So, yes, I probably will have an answer for Everything with regards to Blu-ray licensing, production and manufacturing, having had to deal with nearly every aspect of it since 2005. Not apologizing for anyone, just stating the facts. I'm sure there's something you know a lot about, and if you are in a forum pertaining to that topic you'd be doing the same thing (assuming you like to help people and share information, that is).

You asked a question, I provided an answer... If you don't want a response, don't post in the thread.

Trust me, the world is a better place with people that know what's going on vs the ones that just pretend they know... 8) Not really sure how else to even respond to this...?

I have no affiliation with a 'big corporation', I've just been making a living making Blu-rays since the format was invented, and as such I do happen to know quite a bit about it. So, yes, I probably will have an answer for Everything with regards to Blu-ray licensing, production and manufacturing, having had to deal with nearly every aspect of it since 2005. Not apologizing for anyone, just stating the facts. I'm sure there's something you know a lot about, and if you are in a forum pertaining to that topic you'd be doing the same thing (assuming you like to help people and share information, that is).

I agree with you as well. I am dealing with blu-ray for quite some time and came to same conclusion as you.

Xbox One only supported the BD media in BD-ROM, in the late of this year, it may be supported.

Last edited:
Back