• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

X-Men Apocalypse

Xion

I am new to posting but have been a long time user of AnyDVD. I am having an issue with X-Men Apocalypse on playback. The disc will load and start playback with a Fox logo and music. It them attempts to load the next screen but freezes with a blank screen (2 different discs). The disc is US Region 1 (rental from MyDVDKiosk, which is similar to Red Box). It did take an unusual amount of time to copy and burn ( 3 hrs. 15 minutes). During the transcoding process (disc size was 47.9 GB) using cloneBD ver. 1.0.8.8 and AnyDVD HD ver. 1.0.5.3, the cpu usage for cloneBD was over 90%. All the video inputs and outputs were at 100% until the parts of the disc where transcoding was not being used and all the usage %'s dropped to what I think are normal levels. I have attached the AnyDVD logfile and a copy of the cloneBD debug file.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.0.5.0_Info_F_X-Men_Apocalypse.ziplog
    882.7 KB · Views: 4
  • CloneBD Apocalypse Logfile.txt
    498.2 KB · Views: 5
Cpu usage for CloneBD is supposed to be high. That means it's maxing out your cpu and working at optimal efficiency. Play the RIP in a player like powerdvd, does the 'freeze' still happen? If so, you may have a disc that's using screenpass for which no data is present yet in the OPD. Some patience will be needed.

The freeze does not happen using PowerDVD 15 on my desktop pc. You say that the cpu usage should be over 90% when using cloneBD? I find that hard to believe, especially since I am running an Intel i5 quad core processor clocking at 3.2ghz with 16gb ddr3 ram. I ripped two BD's one being the legend of tarzan and the transcoder was turned off (disc size 37GB) and the processor was running at about 20-25%. Why would the processor be maxing out on the X-Men Apocalypse and not the tarzan disc?

When im using CLBD my i7 6700k gets maxed out at 100% load, like it should be. the CLBD executable itself won't be maxing out the CPU, but the encoder "drones" will. This means it's operating at maximum efficiency and maximum speed :) That part is normal yes. You say the rip does NOT have that problem, which means something you're doing inside CLBD is. What exactly are you doing. Full copy? partial copy? removing clips,... The CLBD debug file is good, but not enough. Redo the exact same encode, when the encode finishes, on that screen hold down the ALT button and 2 new blue buttons should appear. Click the one that sais to create "logfile" and attach it here. Your best option would also be to send the logfile to bugs@elby.ch and report the problem.

I normally make complete copies of all Blu-Ray discs. Since the ripping process is basically the same I would think that CLBD would behave similarly but I guess that's not necessarily true. I will rip again and attach CLBD logfile and forward as you suggested to bugs@elby.ch as well. Thanks for your help.

The process is mainly the same yes, however the disc properties may not be. The Blu-ray standard allows for 3 different video codecs, 2 audio codecs in about a dozen different ways, and that's not even counting the different video resolutions. All of which on their own can cause issues of not done right. :) you do the math on the variable combinations ;-)

It did take an unusual amount of time to copy and burn ( 3 hrs. 15 minutes).

I checked your log file - Transcoding took roughly 1:35h and burning took another 1:41h.
The transcoding speed is a bit slow, but in a normal range.
And burning: that's roughly 2x burn speed, which would be normal, in case you were writing to a BD-RE.

But it seems to be a bit less than 2x burn speed, something around 1.7x - may mean, that there were a lot or re-write attempts, so it could be a "weak blank".
You didn't post the whole log file (.zip), only the text part. So I can't see the burning part.

You say that the cpu usage should be over 90% when using cloneBD? I find that hard to believe, especially since I am running an Intel i5 quad core processor clocking at 3.2ghz with 16gb ddr3 ram. I ripped two BD's one being the legend of tarzan and the transcoder was turned off (disc size 37GB) and the processor was running at about 20-25%. Why would the processor be maxing out on the X-Men Apocalypse and not the Tarzan disc?

That's simple. You're probably assuming, that writing to a BD-RE DL will always be possible without compression, but that's not so.

The original disc (BDROM) has a slightly higher capacity, than a double layer BD-R(E). (BDROMs in general have a bit more max capacity).
According to the log file,CloneBD had to re-compress the size to 98.41% in order to fit the content onto the disc.

By that, the transcoding engine comes into play and that, of course, requires a lot of CPU power.

When the hardware accelerated version of CloneBD comes out, things are going to change a bit.
Even when transcoding, you'll be seeing a CPU usage of 5-20%.

"Intel i5 @ 3.2GHz" doesn't tell the whole story, it depends on the processor generation denoted by the 4 digits after the "i5" - but I'm assuming, you're probably somewhere around the Skylake area (core i5 6xxx), so your on-board Intel GPU should be supported by CloneBD's upcoming acceleration.
Anyway - then transcoding should be just as fast as copying.

I'm going to move this to the CloneBD section, as this thread is more of a CloneBD topic.

Side note for those who are interested in what to expect from the hardware acceleration. I've run some benchmarks with an internal test version, that Elby provided us with:

- Intel i7-6700 with integrated Intel HD 530 GPU
- Source and destination both SSD to reduce I/O impact on speed
- AVC 1080p to MKV 1080p (compressed down to ~75%), 1:59h video duration

• "conventional" transcoding in software mode:
    92 fps average @ 90% CPU, total duration: 31 min

• acceleration with on-board Intel HD530:
    209 fps @ 24% CPU, total duration: 13 min

• acceleration with nVidia GeForce GT 740:
    123 fps @ 7% CPU, total duration: 23 min

• acceleration with nVidia GeForce GTX 950:
    308 fps @ 17% CPU, total duration: 9 minutes!

So, the type of graphics adapter does matter quite a bit, as you can see. Note that the GTX 950 costs around 140-160 USD, so it's still affordable.

Note that AMD cards will be supported as well, so nobody will be left out, but the implementation was not ready at the time we tested this.

Thanks for all the information. It was very helpful. I ripped another copy of the disc and have attached the CLBD log file. I hope it provides some additional information. I am also sending the log file to bugs@elby.ch as Ch3vron had suggested. Thanks for the assistance.

I'm having the exact same issue as Xion. I've tried three different name brands of BDR-DL. The copy will play the 20th Century Fox Screen, then the screen goes black and the timer on the player remains at 0000:00. So far I've made six coasters. Is it possible that there's a new encryption out there that's not being tracked?

Please stick to one topic (the one you created)

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk.

I'm having the exact same issue as Xion. I've tried three different name brands of BDR-DL. The copy will play the 20th Century Fox Screen, then the screen goes black and the timer on the player remains at 0000:00. So far I've made six coasters. Is it possible that there's a new encryption out there that's not being tracked?
That issue should be solved in the next version (coming very soon).

Back