• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Will there be a CloneDVD HD?

If and when there will be a CloneDVD HD I doubt it will convert BD or HD to SD DVD-9. I can't wait till they have something for us though as it would be nice. A basic easy to use one step program is all that is holding me back right now to start buying in BD now. Price ain't nothing to me if you want to make a backup without the loss of quality or resolution and retain everything you want.

i'd like a clonedvd mobile hd - that way i could convert bluray disks to mkv/h264 files and watch them on my mac/linux boxes which don't yet have any particularly great bd+ decoders.

converting a 50gb bluray to an 8gb mpeg2 would be a bit rubbish, but a 4 or 8gb matroska would be lovely.

i'd buy a bluray drive if that could be done easily enough.

You do realise that MKV/Matroska is just a wrapper and isn't a codec?

If and when there will be a CloneDVD HD I doubt it will convert BD or HD to SD DVD-9. I can't wait till they have something for us though as it would be nice. A basic easy to use one step program is all that is holding me back right now to start buying in BD now. Price ain't nothing to me if you want to make a backup without the loss of quality or resolution and retain everything you want.

If that's all you want to do, you can rip using the AnyDVD HD rip feature to an ISO and then burn that. There's no conversion necessary.

Actually you miss read my post I want to be able to compress a BD to fit on a BD-R when I make a backup. I don't want to convert a BD to DVD then burn etc.... Just a BD 50 gig to BD 25 gig and burn. HD-DVD will be an added bonus if done as well.

If you want to be able to shrink it down to fit onto a BD-r 25GB and keep the menu structure then can be a lot more complicated as it involves having to basically re-build the whole menu system on Java menu's which is not easy to do. I think that option will be a long way off if ever for Java based discs. At the moment the BDEdit/Tsmuxer route is the best to try and shrink it down, and it is so easy to do. I'd never done it before reading a guide on here last week, so I tried it out and it was simple

You do realise that MKV/Matroska is just a wrapper and isn't a codec?

yeah but we don't call avi's divx's do we? (avi=wrapper, divx=codec)

i guess you could say h264 files, but it a bit of a mouthful (not that matroska isn't!)

Actually you miss read my post I want to be able to compress a BD to fit on a BD-R when I make a backup. I don't want to convert a BD to DVD then burn etc.... Just a BD 50 gig to BD 25 gig and burn. HD-DVD will be an added bonus if done as well.

I already have been doing this. BD50 to BD25 and BD50 to BD9. Here are my steps for BD50 to BD25.

Tools needed.....

Ripbot264
tsMuxeR
BDedit

1. Determine if Bluray main movie is one file or several. If movie is several files use BDedit to find playlist.

2. Open movie or playlist in tsMuxeR and check main movie, HD audio and english and click demux.

3. After demuxing, check to see if the files all add up to 22.5GB or less.

4. If files above are 22.5GB or less use Imgburn (UDF2.5) and create an image to burn.

5. If files above are 22.5GB or greater then use Ripbot to re-encode m2ts file demuxed by tsMuxeR.

6. Open Ripbot264 and import m2ts file (No Audio, No Subtitle) demuxed by tsMuxeR.

7. Re-encode m2ts file (Bluray, 2 Pass, 2250MB Lock Size minus HD Audio and Subtitle size from step 1.

8. Open tsMuxeR and select the m2ts file you created in ripbot (Steps 5 through 8) then uncheck the audio track and check the h.264 track.

9. Open the original m2ts bluray file in tsmuxer (Step 1) and uncheck the h.264 file and check the lossless audio file.

10. Then mux the 2 selected files into bluray.

11. Use Imgburn (UDF2.5) and create an image to burn.

yeah but we don't call avi's divx's do we? (avi=wrapper, divx=codec)

i guess you could say h264 files, but it a bit of a mouthful (not that matroska isn't!)

I would, I call it a divx file or xvid etc. I work in video editing so getting the correct name is important otherwise you have no idea what format it's in or what codecs you may need to decode it or if your software will even support it

I already have been doing this. BD50 to BD25 and BD50 to BD9. Here are my steps for BD50 to BD25.

Tools needed.....

Ripbot264
tsMuxeR
BDedit

1. Determine if Bluray main movie is one file or several. If movie is several files use BDedit to find playlist.

2. Open movie or playlist in tsMuxeR and check main movie, HD audio and english and click demux.

3. After demuxing, check to see if the files all add up to 22.5GB or less.

4. If files above are 22.5GB or less use Imgburn (UDF2.5) and create an image to burn.

5. If files above are 22.5GB or greater then use Ripbot to re-encode m2ts file demuxed by tsMuxeR.

6. Open Ripbot264 and import m2ts file (No Audio, No Subtitle) demuxed by tsMuxeR.

7. Re-encode m2ts file (Bluray, 2 Pass, 2250MB Lock Size minus HD Audio and Subtitle size from step 1.

8. Open tsMuxeR and select the m2ts file you created in ripbot (Steps 5 through 8) then uncheck the audio track and check the h.264 track.

9. Open the original m2ts bluray file in tsmuxer (Step 1) and uncheck the h.264 file and check the lossless audio file.

10. Then mux the 2 selected files into bluray.

11. Use Imgburn (UDF2.5) and create an image to burn.

That's a lot of steps and if you read my reply I want a one program to work and do it with 1 or 2 click.

WOW, just trying to help.

You did :) but the point being made in this thread and just about every other thread that has existed on this topic is that people want a more simplified process. Slysoft & Elaborate Bytes products tend to be simplistic in terms of usage but complex in what they do. They are easy to use w/o having to do many steps.

I'm not as much interested in compressing BD-25/BD-50 to DVD-9 as I am with being able to remove audio streams, video streams, trailers, etc, from the final output. Sure, being able to cut it down to a DVD-9 would be nice but that's not my first goal.

When/if Slysoft or Elaborate Bytes have a solution we will all know about it. In the meantime we can use methods like the one you suggested.

Last edited:
You did :) but the point being made in this thread and just about every other thread that has existed on this topic is that people want a more simplified process. Slysoft & Elaborate Bytes products tend to be simplistic in terms of usage but complex in what they do. They are easy to use w/o having to do many steps.

I'm not as much interested in compressing BD-25/BD-50 to DVD-9 as I am with being able to remove audio streams, video streams, trailers, etc, from the final output. Sure, being able to cut it down to a DVD-9 would be nice but that's not my first goal.

When/if Slysoft or Elaborate Bytes have a solution we will all know about it. In the meantime we can use methods like the one you suggested.

I hear ya.

I too am waiting for a one program easy solution. I only dream that slysoft will come out with one.

I hear ya.

I too am waiting for a one program easy solution. I only dream that slysoft will come out with one.

I don't think that is alot of steps at all honestly, considering what we have been doing to even get rips to play early on in this never ending battle. For me however, time is the key factor in any realistic backup solution and from another post, i don't think i have the time to invest.

See here
http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=127478&postcount=2

I don't care about DVD-9, but, being able to slightly transcode (note, NOT encode) a disc from 26 or 27 gigs down to 25 to fit on a single layer BD-RE would be sweet. I could definitely go for that. Currently that's not possible and is very likely a far off achievement. For now I'd take the ability to just remove streams, audio, PGS, etc and keep the menus if possible. That'd be really sweet. CloneBD would be a great product to have. Someday I'm sure we'll get there. But it's a VERY complex endeavor as we've discussed in many other threads. Anyone who thinks it's easy to create "CloneBD" has no idea what's involved...

Updates?

Great forum and thanks for the products guys! :clap:

I was wondering about a few issues:

1) Any update on a Blu-ray version of CloneDVD? I LOVE CloneDVD now!

2) I would like to make a backup copy of my Blu-ray disks for when I travel. I have seen the steps on the previous page but I'm wondering if 1.5 years later (about to enter 2009) if there is an quicker/less steps way to get movies backed-up on a BD-R disk.

3) Also, wife got me a PS3 and I'm wondering if copies of BD-R disks will play on it?

Thanks and happy new year!

We're told a CloneBD product is being worked on but there is no timeframe for a release on it. But hey, at least they're working on it. :) See my signature for the latest backup methods. It will allow you to make a movie only backup to save you some space. But it still may be too big to fit on a single layer BD-R/E, so, you may need some dual layer BD-R/E's for your backups. And yes, depending on the brand you get, you should have no problem playing them on a PS3.

Thanks for the quick reply! What disks are having the most success on PS3?

Thanks for the guide. I'll have to look into those programs.

How long, on average does it take to make a "movie only" backup? Assume a 2X burn I suppose... thanks again!

Adbear uses panasonic discs. I've got a couple Verbatim single layer discs I use. As for the time, I don't remember quite how long it takes on average. I've only burned a few myself. Figure 30-45 minutes for a 23 gig disc I would imagine.

Has anyone recommended any particlular burning app over another for Blu-ray via ISO? Thanks again!

Back