Will AnyDVD work on a Mac ??

Discussion in 'AnyDVD HD (DVD issues)' started by SoundsGood, Jul 26, 2007.

1. SoundsGood

SoundsGood Well-Known Member

Call me crazy (or maybe just bored? ;)) but I'm actually thinking about getting a Macbook Pro.

Will the AnyDVD products work on a Mac?

Thanks...

2. odd_function

odd_function Guest

At this current time, there is NO MAC OS X version of any of the slysoft products. If I was you I would stay away from the mac. But again thats just me. I have an iMac and I stopped using it untill I got windows :)

3. DrinkLyeAndDie

DrinkLyeAndDie Retired Moderator

Refer to the following threads:

(1) AnyDVD for Mac OS X

(2) when is anydvd coming to mac

There are other threads as well and a quick search would have located quite a few for you.

In short, AnyDVD will likely never be a native Mac application. You'll have to use virtualization software and run it under a Windows OS.

4. SoundsGood

I tried searching for "Mac" and here's what I got:

1. Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : mac

5. odd_function

odd_function Guest

SoundsGood,
    there is MacTheRipper: A DVD extractor for Mac OS X it does not seem to work well on SONY DVDs. And, there is popcorn 2 for the mAC OS X as well.

:)

6. SoundsGood

Thanks very much, but I already paid for the entire AnyDVD software bundle. :(

Oh well. I guess I'll get Parallels for the Mac. Hopefully that will allow AnyDVD to work.

Thanks again...

7. ibglowin

ibglowin Well-Known Member

Works great using Boot Camp

Stay away from Parralells for anything CPU intensive.

8. SoundsGood

Like what? :confused:

9. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

Copying movies is considered CPU intensive.

10. SoundsGood

Oh, you're kidding.

Bummer... :(

11. DrinkLyeAndDie

BootCamp from Apple is always an option. It's free.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  12. SoundsGood

Thanks, but I'd rather use something like Parallels or VMWare.

So, what would happen if I used AnyDVD with Parallels? Would it still work? Or ??? :confused:

13. Marjoe23

Marjoe23 New Member

I have an iMac and have been running the latest version of Bootcamp to give me a dual boot machine with Windows Vista. The products work fine on my Windows Vista. They also worked fine when I had Windows XP with Bootcamp on my iMac.

14. DrinkLyeAndDie

Well, opinions vary. I like Parallels and the Mac version offers some very nice features that VMware doesn't. VirtualPC won't work at all. So you're left to BootCamp, Parallels, and VMWare. Note, that I don't commonly use virtualization software and I only installed it on a PC with XP Pro. I have, however, see it run on a friend's Mac and it look impressive and they had no complaints. So, I'm biased toward Parallels.

I've heard of people using Parallels w/o problem and the same goes with Parallels and VMware. I'm not sure if I remember people having any problems with BootCamp.

Now, having said the above, one poster is currently stating that VMware 6.0 breaks AnyDVD however VMware 5.5 works just fine. Take this into account when making your decision.

It definitely would help matters if you already had a Mac. At least then you could try each of the options. Your opinion may differ from those offered.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  15. SoundsGood

Well, I'm leaning towards Parallels. But as you said, I don't have the Mac yet so I can't test it out. Maybe soon...

Anyway, thanks for the help. :)

16. Vegas

Vegas Member

I am using Bootcamp with Windows XP and all of my programs work just fine on my iMac

17. ibglowin

ibglowin Well-Known Member

Parallels will work but it just won't run as fast as native (boot camp). So crunching/compressing/burning a DVD will take longer. Most reports are that things run around 80%-85% as fast as native. That said they are constantly tweaking and improving Parallels so they may be able to bring it up a bit more closer to native with more work. They offer a free 30 day trail so it doesn't cost you anything to give it a go.

Remember with Boot Camp you have to have an OEM version of Windows as well.

18. Fumanchu1971

Fumanchu1971 New Member

What were your results using Parallel?

SoundsGood, did you install Parallel and try running AnyDVD? If so, how did that go? Successful or stressful?

19. SoundsGood

Well, I decided not to go with a Mac at all. :disagree: