• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

While Backing up The Dark Knight I noticed this:

Yeah I'm all for completely removing any structure or copy protection - Esp. as I use a MythTV box, I hate it when it stops mid movie.
BTW my "Rip Image.." method on Dark Knight worked fine with MythTV (and it usually stops playback had any protection been present)

I will take a closer look and see if when I mount the ISO if AnyDVD sees any copy protection on the mounted ISO. Maybe compare results from both "Rip Video.." and "Rip Image.." methods.

There will likely always be a difference with a disc with structural protections. In the case of The Dark Knight there will definitely be a difference.

@cmazz

I think the ISO files are just complete images of the optical media, it itself doesn't contain any layer breaks (I could be wrong!). There is usually an accompanying file with a .dvd or .mds extension, this file contains the layer break information. I gather then that CloneDVD does not create this layer break file during its operation.

N.

You make a valid point here. If the ISO is simply ripped to the HDD I believe you are right and there is no layer break unless you use an accompanying file that defines the layer break when mounting it and a layer break won't be as noticeable as with a standalone DVD player and a DVD. I believe CloneDVD creates the layer break during the burning process which wouldn't apply in the case of mounting the ISO created with CloneDVD.

Thank you for bringing this up.

Last edited:
I'll need to pay attention again while watchinga DL ISO again but I could have swore it paused on a few movies at about the half way point like a layer break and not on others. I did think it was odd that the ISO would pause like that because like you said, it should be in an extra file like ImgBurn creates when it makes the ISO and not in the ISO itself. Maybe its an issue with th MG-35 but I will definitely keep an eye on it.

I'll need to pay attention again while watchinga DL ISO again but I could have swore it paused on a few movies at about the half way point like a layer break and not on others. I did think it was odd that the ISO would pause like that because like you said, it should be in an extra file like ImgBurn creates when it makes the ISO and not in the ISO itself. Maybe its an issue with th MG-35 but I will definitely keep an eye on it.

That's because AnyDVD doesn't remove the layer break when making the .iso (which is more or less a 1:1 copy). Use CloneDVD to create an .iso without it.

Is the layer break info removed when using the rip to hard drive option with AnyDVD?

<snip>

Disregard my comments that were in this post about layer breaks. Layer break information is not in the ISO file. My previous statements in this thread were correct.

Last edited:
I usually use te combination of AnyDVD and ImgBurn to make ISOs of my media to play with an MG-35. Today I attempted to make an ISO of the 2 disc edition of The Dark Knight and my first attempt froze AnyDVD v6.4.9.2 so I turned the AI scanner to always on and it worked fine but for the heck of it I loaded the ISO with Daemon tools and AnyDVD says this:

Summary for drive G: (AnyDVD 6.4.9.2)
CNUH S1YNCPENGDE 1.03
Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 1984000 sectors (3875 MBytes)
Total size: 3967984 sectors (7749 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: THE_DARK_NIGHT
Media is not CSS protected.
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is region free.

RCE protection not found.
Found & removed structural copy protection!
Found & removed bogus title set(s)!
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Found & removed 3 potential bad sector protections!
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

Why after running the DVD through AnyDVD does the ISO still show protections that need to be removed? The ISO does play fine on the MG-35.

This was done with Vista 64 4GB RAM

Thanks
Chris

Chris just letting you know that your DVD drive region is not set. It should be set to the region code 1 if your in the USA.

<snip>

Disregard my comments that were in this post about layer breaks. Layer break information is not in the ISO file. My previous statements in this thread were correct.

James just said above that the layer break info IS in the ISO file.
Or this the post of yours we should disregard? :D

-W

James just said above that the layer break info IS in the ISO file.

No. He didn't. "info" does not equal "layer break".

.isos do not contain layer break info/position

.dvd files contain layer break info/position.

When Clonedvd is used the layer break is physically removed during the rip. Same goes for "rip video dvd to harddisk".

Last edited:
I didn't realize my drive wasn't set! Thanks for pointing that out.

Chris

Actually that drive is a virtual drive created with Daemon Tools, do I stilll need to set the region on it and does it effect anything?

Thanks
Chris

Hi

Bear with me, I am just starting to get into AnyDVD (and support utilities) and its workings... :)

I did more playing around and I know this has been discussed in parts in other threads (for example: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=13253 and http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=20578)

1. I originally ripped Dark Knight using the "Rip to image..." option (which now I know was intended for HD DVD/Blu Ray since these don't contain structural protection). The result was that mounting the ISO, AnyDVD reported structural protection, the ISO still works, but not really the ideal solution.

2. I then re-ripped the DVD, using CloneDVD2 and created an ISO, the results were the same as 1., that is, when mounting the ISO, AnyDVD reports structure protection. This puzzles me since it's the recommended one-stop approach in the threads above.

3. I then re-ripped, using the "Rip Video DVD to Harddisk..." option and created a new ISO with ImageBurn (ignoring layer breaks), I mount the ISO and AnyDVD reports no structural protection what-so-ever. This version of the ISO seems to me to be the most 'sanitised' version available.

It also contradicts the recommended method.. Perhaps Dark Night is just a special case (until say a new version of CloneDVD comes out) and generally speaking method 2 would normally be OK...

I know the feeling is that ISO is not needed, I just find having everything in the one file easier to deal with in terms of storage and general usability for everyone else..

Thx,

N.

Back