• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

While Backing up The Dark Knight I noticed this:

cmazz

I usually use te combination of AnyDVD and ImgBurn to make ISOs of my media to play with an MG-35. Today I attempted to make an ISO of the 2 disc edition of The Dark Knight and my first attempt froze AnyDVD v6.4.9.2 so I turned the AI scanner to always on and it worked fine but for the heck of it I loaded the ISO with Daemon tools and AnyDVD says this:

Summary for drive G: (AnyDVD 6.4.9.2)
CNUH S1YNCPENGDE 1.03
Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 1984000 sectors (3875 MBytes)
Total size: 3967984 sectors (7749 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: THE_DARK_NIGHT
Media is not CSS protected.
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is region free.

RCE protection not found.
Found & removed structural copy protection!
Found & removed bogus title set(s)!
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Found & removed 3 potential bad sector protections!
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

Why after running the DVD through AnyDVD does the ISO still show protections that need to be removed? The ISO does play fine on the MG-35.

This was done with Vista 64 4GB RAM

Thanks
Chris

Creating ISOs on the fly doesn't allow AnyDVD to what I would call fully sanitize the disc. The backup made from the ISO will work just fine but remnants of the protection will remain so that when you scan the disc with AnyDVD it will see them. This will not impact playback. When you rip with CloneDVD or the AnyDVD ripper via Rip Video DVD to Harddisk... the resulting output can be remastered if necessary and remnants of protection can be cleaned up which can't be done when creating an ISO as you did with ImgBurn.

What you noticed is normal for the status window. What isn't normal is your issue with AnyDVD freezing up. There are no known issues with The Dark Knight and AnyDVD There's no reason for a user to have to force the A.I. Scanner on.

Thanks for the response. I'm glad to know more about the proper methods to rip. I just thought that since I use ISOs only for playback that I could skip the step of ripping to the HD first and go straight to ISO . i will start doing the rip to hard drive fiirst if you think it would make a more stable ISO in the future. I wonder if that was the problem that would cause my MG-350 to randomly lock up.

Does simply dragging and dropping the VIDEO_TS folder to the hard drive do the same thing as the Rip Video to hard disc mehtod? I used to do that long go I think before that option was added.

As far as AnyDVD locking up, I'm glad you said there isn't a problem and I would venture to say it is probably a result of something odd going on with Vista because strange things seem to happen with it from time to time.

AnyDVD wouldn't freeze during the scan if I had AnyDVD not running and I selected the Rip to hard disc option from the start menu first :confused:

Thanks
Chris

Thanks for the response. I'm glad to know more about the proper methods to rip. I just thought that since I use ISOs only for playback that I could skip the step of ripping to the HD first and go straight to ISO . i will start doing the rip to hard drive fiirst if you think it would make a more stable ISO in the future. I wonder if that was the problem that would cause my MG-350 to randomly lock up.

You should be able to. Maybe the MG-350 just doesn't like the remnants. This would be the first time I've heard of such a problem. Many people simply make ISOs with CloneCD and have no issues with their backups. Personally, I like my backups to be as sanitized as possible so I always rip to the HDD first.

Does simply dragging and dropping the VIDEO_TS folder to the hard drive do the same thing as the Rip Video to hard disc mehtod? I used to do that long go I think before that option was added.

No. Copy & paste or drag & drop do not remaster/clean-up discs that have structural protections. This is why the Rip Video DVD to Harddisk... exists. It rips the disc and cleans it up.

As far as AnyDVD locking up, I'm glad you said there isn't a problem and I would venture to say it is probably a result of something odd going on with Vista because strange things seem to happen with it from time to time.

I run Vista x64 and didn't have any issues with the disc. It's possible the disc was borderline bad. It's possible you may have a filter installed on your system as a result of another software program that could cause read problems. You could post log files for the disc so they can be looked at to see if anything stands out.

1. Ensure AnyDVD is running.
  2. Put the problematic original movie DVD in your burner. Wait for AnyDVD to scan the disc.
  3. Right click the red fox icon on your toolbar.
  4. Select "Create Logfile".
  5. Wait for AnyDVD to create a log file.
  6. A pop-up screen will appear. Take note of the location where AnyDVD created the logfile and the logfile's name. Click "OK".
  7. Windows Explorer will open, and you will see a ZIP file called "AnyDVD_Info_titleofmydisc.zip" (or something similar; see step f).
  8. When replying or posting in the SlySoft forums, look for the icon that looks like
    attach.gif
    (in other words, look for the paperclip after clicking "quote" or when creating a new thread).
  9. If you don't see that paperclip icon, click the "go advanced" button. You should see that icon now. Click the paperclip.
  10. A small pop-up screen should appear (if it doesn't, please ensure your browser is configured to allow pop-ups from the SlySoft forum).
  11. Click the "Browse" button and locate and select the ZIP file you created.
  12. Click "upload".
  13. Close the window. When you submit reply, or submit a new thread, the ZIP file will be attached automatically for us to take a look at.

AnyDVD wouldn't freeze during the scan if I had AnyDVD not running and I selected the Rip to hard disc option from the start menu first :confused:

I've never heard of anyone doing that but I wouldn't suggest opening the AnyDVD ripper from the shortcut before AnyDVD has already been enabled.

OK I'm going to try to post the log file. I'm new at forum stuff. AnyDVD has worked so well for me over the years I've never had a reason to post anything it's just that now I'm curious about things and I am glad I found out about ripping to sanitize before creating an ISO. 8)

AnyDVD seems to be analyzing just fine now. Seems it works after running with AI set to always the first time and now I have it set to auto and scanning works...odd. I've just gotten used to stuff "breaking" then working again when using Vista...at least that's my experience.

Thanks
Chris

Attachments

• AnyDVD_Info_F_THE_DARK_NIGHT.zip
    85.5 KB · Views: 4
OK I'm going to try to post the log file. I'm new at forum stuff.

Your logs look clean. You have no filters to interfere with AnyDVD at all. Things look good.

AnyDVD has worked so well for me over the years I've never had a reason to post anything

I think for the majority of people this is how it works. I never posted in any of the AnyDVD forums for years as a user because I never had any problems. :)

it's just that now I'm curious about things and I am glad I found out about ripping to sanitize before creating an ISO. 8)

Being curious and asking questions can be a good thing. :)

As I already said there is nothing wrong with creating an ISO and burning. Webslinger makes backups using CloneCD so some of the remnants remain in his backups and he experiences no problems. It really comes down to personal preference. I like as much of the garbage removed as possible whether it's protection remnants or trailers and other unnecessary content.

AnyDVD seems to be analyzing just fine now. Seems it works after running with AI set to always the first time and now I have it set to auto and scanning works...odd.

It might have been a fluke. Maybe a stray dust particle caused a read error that caused the problem. Now you can't recreate the exact conditions. I've had a problem now and then when it came down to how the DVD was seated in the tray. I try to get an issue to occur again and can't even make it happen using the same exact disc.

I'm glad it's working now. Time to move on to another disc. :D

I've just gotten used to stuff "breaking" then working again when using Vista...at least that's my experience.

After my reluctance to upgrading from XP to Vista I have found that my fears were largely unfounded. I do, however, truly believe that Vista cannot be compared by different people on different systems. Modern high-end systems should run Vista nearly flawlessly with SP1 installed. My system is high-end and I built it within the last 6-7 months. I have no issues whatsoever. Had I installed Vista on my older system I have no doubts that I would not be as pleased with the outcome.

Vista in my experience is as close to rock solid as you can get for a Windows OS. It has a few annoyances, of course, but it's just as stable and solid if not more so than XP was for me.

Thanks for the replies! heck who knows maybe it is an issue with the DVD drive itself. I sure hope not but will keep an eye on the situation.

For the most part I do like Vista with SP1. It was a different story before SP1 came out though and this laptop out of the box has issues...not even the video driver seemed to work right and burning DVDs with ImgBurn didn't seem to work. I had situatios where it burned the disc and then the drive couldn't recognize the burnt disk afterward but would burn fine with XP :(

I really hope SP2 irons out the kinks even more because I've really gotten used to the "eye candy" of Vista!

Thanks again
Chris

I forgot to ask...Will having any remnants of the copy protection left in an ISO cause programs like Nero Recode and others any problems while transcoding? I ask because I haven't done that in quite a while.

Thanks
Chris

I forgot to ask...Will having any remnants of the copy protection left in an ISO cause programs like Nero Recode and others any problems while transcoding? I ask because I haven't done that in quite a while.

Thanks
Chris

If you use CloneDVD to transcode from DVD-9 to DVD-5, no, you won't have an issue. If you use DVD Shrink it's possible that if you do a direct rip & transcode from the mounted image that you might. DVD Shrink cannot handle some discs directly with AnyDVD in the background due to the structural protections. It is recommended to use Rip Video DVD to Harddisk... first and then import the files from your HDD into DVD Shrink. Now, as has already been discussed by using the AnyDVD ripper I am cleaning out the remnants of the protection and DVD Shrink is able to handle the results.

Personally, I recommend always ripping the disc to your HDD with CloneDVD or Rip Video DVD to Harddisk... if you plan on processing the disc with non-Slysoft or non-Elaborate Bytes software. I also recommend ripping the disc to your HDD before processing with CloneDVD mobile, as well. The ripping engine in CloneDVD mobile is not as powerful as the one in CloneDVD in the sense that it doesn't have the same abilities in remastering & removing leftover protection remnants.

Thanks! I think I unerstand what I should do now. Because about half of my ISOs were ripped directly to the HD do you think there would be a problem if I mounted the images of discs with remnants and re-ripped them with AnyDVD then converted them back to ISO if I needed to or would I need to redo them fom the actual disc...I have most of my discs strored away and would have to dig them out not to mention the time needed to re rip from the DVD.

Thanks
Chris

Thanks! I think I unerstand what I should do now. Because about half of my ISOs were ripped directly to the HD do you think there would be a problem if I mounted the images of discs with remnants and re-ripped them with AnyDVD then converted them back to ISO if I needed to or would I need to redo them fom the actual disc...I have most of my discs strored away and would have to dig them out not to mention the time needed to re rip from the DVD.

Thanks
Chris

I really don't know what the results of this would be. I don't expect anything negative but doing this may simply not be worth the trouble.

You mention that AnyDVD is not able to completely sanitise a DVD on the fly and recommend ripping to HDD first.

My question is does "Rip to Image..." provide the same level of sanitisation as "Rip Video DVD to Harddisk..." option?

I am interested in the simplest way to make a complete disc backup to ISO while producing a completely sanitised image. Ideally this would be simply right-click the Fox Icon and select "Rip to Image..."

Thanks for the clarification and a fantastic product.

N.

Ripping to a folder is better than ripping to ISO as far as "cleaness" goes.You can then convert that folder to an ISO if you must. But since all players play folders, I'm not sure why ISO is needed at all.

-W

The player I use (MG-35) does indeed play from a DVD folder but requires anyone using it to browse and select the IFO file to play as a DVD. Probably most of he people who read and post here or on any forums can handle that without a problem but the less tech savy peope like other family members don't have the patience for that so it's mch easier to select an ISO and hit enter to play and that is why I was interested in ISO over a DVD folder.

I guess it's really not so bad ripping to the HD first and completely sanitizing the DVD because it only takes about another 5 minutes or so for me to create an ISO with ImgBurn afterwards.

The player I use (MG-35) does indeed play from a DVD folder but requires anyone using it to browse and select the IFO file to play as a DVD. Probably most of he people who read and post here or on any forums can handle that without a problem but the less tech savy peope like other family members don't have the patience for that so it's mch easier to select an ISO and hit enter to play and that is why I was interested in ISO over a DVD folder.

Very valid point. While it is easy and logical to most of us... the ISO method with 1 file is easier for others.

I guess it's really not so bad ripping to the HD first and completely sanitizing the DVD because it only takes about another 5 minutes or so for me to create an ISO with ImgBurn afterwards.

When I create ISOs this is always the method I use or I use CloneDVD and have the output set to ISO. It does the ripping, removes the remnants, and then creates the ISO all in one go without having to take the files and then create an ISO in a separate step.

I prefer the more sanitized output even if there isn't a difference in playback between using an ISO with remnants versus an ISO without remnants. I'm just an anal-retentive person when it comes to that.

I agree totally with you about the sanitizing...maybe a little ocd on my part. :agree:

I never thought about using clondDVD to do it all in one step, I like that Idea and think I'll give it a go.

Thanks
Chris

I agree totally with you about the sanitizing...maybe a little ocd on my part. :agree:

I never thought about using clondDVD to do it all in one step, I like that Idea and think I'll give it a go.

Thanks
Chris

The one thing to keep in mind when using CloneDVD to output to ISO is that it removes the layer break when ripping and then creates a new layer break point if the source is a DVD DL when it creates the ISO if you are outputting to DVD-9 (DVD DL). Some people dislike the movement of the layer break. Personally, I have never had any issues with it.

I forgot about that. ISO has a layer break pause and the folder playback method doesn't. I have noticed the slight pause while watching ISO but that doesn't bother me either. It's still much more convenient to browse and play ISOs off a NAS then it it to look to them on a 400 disc changer.

My original idea was to burn my collection to DL DVD and add the DVD text info myself (with software I found online) since most factory discs don't have text info which makes it a task looking for a movie. That's way too time consuming not just from the rip and burn but then I would run a scan with Nero CDSpeed on each disc just to be sure and even then, the changer didn't always play DL DVDs smoothly so I gave that idea up.

Yeah I'm all for completely removing any structure or copy protection - Esp. as I use a MythTV box, I hate it when it stops mid movie.
BTW my "Rip Image.." method on Dark Knight worked fine with MythTV (and it usually stops playback had any protection been present)

I will take a closer look and see if when I mount the ISO if AnyDVD sees any copy protection on the mounted ISO. Maybe compare results from both "Rip Video.." and "Rip Image.." methods.

@cmazz

I think the ISO files are just complete images of the optical media, it itself doesn't contain any layer breaks (I could be wrong!). There is usually an accompanying file with a .dvd or .mds extension, this file contains the layer break information. I gather then that CloneDVD does not create this layer break file during its operation.

N.

Back