what is RegKill.sys

Discussion in 'AnyDVD HD (DVD issues)' started by Porker06, May 19, 2008.

1. Porker06

Porker06 New Member

This appeared when I installed Any Dvd and I never seen it before. Is it part of the region or a trojan that was installed because I just bought a new computer and installed again but never had any problems. :confused:

2. DrinkLyeAndDie

DrinkLyeAndDie Retired Moderator

The file is a legitimate part of the software. It is not a trojan. I'm not sure of the specific purpose of that file but it's normal.

3. Fernando

Fernando Redfox Development Team

The driver regkill.sys or also named elbydelay.sys is a helper driver that has something to do with device power management. I will not go into details but there's nothing to worry about.

And no, it has nothing to do with any kind of root-kit, registry hiding/stealth mechanisms or anything else that the name might suggest. It also has nothing to do with licencing or any other kind of stuff. It's just a simple but required lfcd.

4. Pelvis Popcan

Pelvis Popcan Well-Known Member

"regkill" is probably not the best name for that file ;)

5. DAB Badboy

DAB Badboy Well-Known Member

I think you'll find that (in this instance) "reg" is short for Region as opposed to registration ...

6. Fernando

Fernando Redfox Development Team

The name is perfect.

7. James

James Redfox Development Team Staff Member

yes, because it replaces the "regkill.sys" driver from the obsolete "DVDRegionKiller", which would severely conflict with AnyDVD.

8. Pelvis Popcan

Pelvis Popcan Well-Known Member

I stand corrected! :)