• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Western Digital works on 20,000 RPM desktop HDD

Hawk

I found this article on Cd Freaks

While SSDs currently have limited capacity and are very pricey, at the rate flash memory is coming down in price and a growing number of manufacturers competing with each other to bring out better and faster versions, SSDs are going to become affordable in the next 12 to 18 months according to this Bit-Tech report. As a result, hard disk manufacturers are finally starting to realise the problem they will face in the coming years. It has come to the stage where hard disk capacity has been pushed to the point that consumers are becoming more concerned about performance than storage capacity, which is where SSDs have their advantage.

Western Digital, which is currently the only manufacturer to make 10,000RPM desktop SATA drives, aims to solve the latency and seek time issue of current hard disks by working on a 20,000 RPM drive. This is twice the spindle of its current Raptor series and nearly 3 times that of most desktop hard disks. Like its VelociRaptor, this drive will be a 2.5" drive built into a 3.5" housing, which will act as a heat sink and as a silencer. According to the article, Western Digital is apparently working on the drive's housing to make the drive silent, as the higher spindle speed will produce significantly more vibration and noise from the platters.

As this product is still in development, so far no expected release date has been announced. With such a high spindle rate, it will be interesting to see how much energy this drive will consume, particularly since energy efficiency is starting to become a factor when choosing a new hard disk.

hmmm, I wonder how fast we would be able to rip blu-ray and other movies to it.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/Western-Digital-works-on-20000-RPM-desktop-HDD.html

Seagate will also be releasing a 10,000RPM drive in the near future and I assume they will also have the 5 yr. warranty as other Seagate HDD's.
The new 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD's are very comparable to the Raptors in speed.

Cost wont be a factor, I am currently running a RaptorX 150. I want one.;)

Back