• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

WARNING UPDATING WINDOWS 10 to LATEST UPDATE

Should probably create a restore point before installing this update.

I saw this reported on a number of websites but it left me a bit confused. From reading between the lines both the Microsoft update and the Intel microcode update to mitigate Spectre v2 where leading to more frequent reboots independently of one another. But, not all people seem to be impacted by either of the updates. If abnormal operation is not occurring then people should leave well enough alone.

I've had no abnormal reboots, BSODs, etc, after applying the original Microsoft Windows update to deal with Meltdown & Spectre. I have noticed some slight differences in performance based on "feel" but I'm not sure if it's measurable. I have not updated my BIOS. I am holding out on flashing the BIOS and I am keeping the Microsoft update untouched for the time being.

I saw this reported on a number of websites but it left me a bit confused. From reading between the lines both the Microsoft update and the Intel microcode update to mitigate Spectre v2 where leading to more frequent reboots independently of one another. But, not all people seem to be impacted by either of the updates. If abnormal operation is not occurring then people should leave well enough alone.

I've had no abnormal reboots, BSODs, etc, after applying the original Microsoft Windows update to deal with Meltdown & Spectre. I have noticed some slight differences in performance based on "feel" but I'm not sure if it's measurable. I have not updated my BIOS. I am holding out on flashing the BIOS and I am keeping the Microsoft update untouched for the time being.
Me neither so far WITH updated bios. The article does say NOT to install it unless you have issues. The only issue I see is that not everyone that has issues will know about that update and to self download it

Sent from my Nexus 7 with Tapatalk

Which of the two patches is the one that actually has been causing issues for some folks? Is it the Meltdown patch or the Spectre patch? I'm not entirely clear on which or if both are causing the problems.

Which of the two patches is the one that actually has been causing issues for some folks? Is it the Meltdown patch or the Spectre patch? I'm not entirely clear on which or if both are causing the problems.

Spectre (2)

The Spectre variant 2 fix is the problem with both the Microsoft and Intel updates.

Thanks!

And the Meltdown patch hasn't been causing any issues?

I'm just trying to get clear of which patches I'm going to apply to my machines, a Win 10 and a Win 7.

Thanks!

And the Meltdown patch hasn't been causing any issues?

I'm just trying to get clear of which patches I'm going to apply to my machines, a Win 10 and a Win 7.

No works here with the Spectre Fix disabled (Faulty Microcode)

Okay, so Spectre patch okay but Meltdown patch is not okay.

The January update for Windows contains the Meltdown and apparently some Spectre-related fixes. The thing is that you don't want to avoid that update completely if you run an Intel-based system. It contains a number security fixes. So, if one does encounter issues then they should install this "new" manual-download-only update that removes certain changes but not all of them. If you do not encounter issues with the Microsft update then just wait until the dust settles and Microsoft pushes out a newer official release to everyone.

Again, the abnormal behavior is being caused by changes made mitigate Spectre variant 2.

Okay, so Spectre patch okay but Meltdown patch is not okay.

No - Meltdown Patch ok -
Spectre not - (Needs Microcode update)

You can install all WindowsUpdates and use the following registry settings:

REM CVE-2017-5754 [rogue data cache load] only
reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverrideMask /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

To disable the Spectre Fix only.

https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm
Is a little tool to check the result.

Last edited:
The January update for Windows contains the Meltdown and apparently some Spectre-related fixes. The thing is that you don't want to avoid that update completely if you run an Intel-based system. It contains a number security fixes. So, if one does encounter issues then they should install this "new" manual-download-only update that removes certain changes but not all of them. If you do not encounter issues with the Microsft update then just wait until the dust settles and Microsoft pushes out a newer official release to everyone.
Okay, got it. I was having issues with Malwarebytes about a day ago and that confused the issue for me, I wasn't sure what was causing the slowdowns and hangups but it turns out Malwarebytes sent down a faulty update and now I'm just sorting through the Meltdown/Spectre issue.

I don't like turning off updates because as you note there could be other important security fixes. My Win 10 machine seems to be running okay and I'm now guessing my Win 7 machine was problematic due to the Malwarebytes issue and not the M/S patches.

I used this tester and both machines now show as protected for Meltdown but not Spectre which is the way it should be. For now. ;-)

https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm

Okay, got it. I was having issues with Malwarebytes about a day ago and that confused the issue for me, I wasn't sure what was causing the slowdowns and hangups but it turns out Malwarebytes sent down a faulty update and now I'm just sorting through the Meltdown/Spectre issue.

I don't like turning off updates because as you note there could be other important security fixes. My Win 10 machine seems to be running okay and I'm now guessing my Win 7 machine was problematic due to the Malwarebytes issue and not the M/S patches.

Yes, the Malwarebytes issues was completely separate. I experienced it, as well. A bad update was pushed out and it resulted in the web protection module being broken and it rather rapidly began using more and more RAM. If something gobbles up all your free RAM then you're going to have issues. Malwarebytes heard all about the issue and had it rectified by mid-afternoon the day it began.

I had to update my HTPC recently, and after the update, my TV was no longeer HDCP compliant. It had always been. Luckily AnyDVD bypasses this problem. But damn MS for breaking stuff. I could not play Bluray unless I installed AnyDVD. But it is a great purchase so I don't regret it.

I had to update my HTPC recently, and after the update, my TV was no longeer HDCP compliant. It had always been. Luckily AnyDVD bypasses this problem. But damn MS for breaking stuff. I could not play Bluray unless I installed AnyDVD. But it is a great purchase so I don't regret it.

I don't see how a Windows update could break something directly implemented in the ports.

HDCP is a mechanism implemented directly into the HDMI ports. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwidth_Digital_Content_Protection?wprov=sfla1

That shouldn't be down to AnyDVD, AnyDVD does remove the hdcp check by the content but that's a different matter. Thus allowing for playback again.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back