• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Vista - Should "upgrade" or not?

Spec:

Code:
Gigabyte 7S748-L Socket A
AMD AthlonXP 2400+
1 Gb PC2700 DDR (333MHz)
PNY nVidia 6600
Creative Audigy 2 ZS
Western Digital 320Gb HDD (60Gb free)
WinXP SP2

I would say stick with xp pro, i have xp pro 32 bit and vista ultimate 32 on dual boot, the performance that you get on xp is far greater than that of vista. xp will use about 256mb of ram by itself when fully loaded, vista is near to 350 -400 mb of ram, doesnt sound a lot but it can take a while to load the extra 100 mb or so.

i agree with above, if it aint broke dont fix it :d

Webslinger said:
By the way, on the exact same system, Vista Ultimate 64 edition won't shutdown properly. I've disabled the modem. I've tried every possible ACPI setting in bios. Vista does attempt to shutdown, but I just get a blank screen. On the same system, Windows XP Pro 32 bit edition shuts down perfectly fine.
I'm sure if I call Microsoft they'll tell me to contact the motherboard manufacturer and update the bios. Bios is up to date, and the motherboard does support Vista 64 . . . XP does shutdown properly. So . . .

Turns out the Pioneer DVR-212D (SATA) causes issues during shutdown with Vista 64 bit under Intel ICH9's RAID (bios) controller configuration. Was pretty annoying to figure out . . .

Let's not divert the thread in that way. It has kept me safe for the past 3 years, so I personally have no complaints. What I am complaining about is that they won't make 2004-5 versions of their software compatible with Vista. Therefore, I got my subscription money back and still got 11 months left :D

Many people use Norton and it does do its job...most of the time. For those who need an AV that doesn't fill their OS with junk and bloatware, we choose not to have Norton.

Many people use Norton and it does do its job...most of the time. For those who need an AV that doesn't fill their OS with junk and bloatware, we choose not to have Norton.

Calm down. This thread is not about Norton.

I will add another 1Gb of RAM to the machine next week, will it be on the par then? :)

Calm down. This thread is not about Norton.

I will add another 1Gb of RAM to the machine next week, will it be on the par then? :)

I would add 2 or 3 gigs if you can and even then vista will want to use the RAM and Norton will hog the rest. I am not bashing I used to be a big norton fan till the past few years as it has became to much of a RAM hog and slows down the system when you want to do stuff.

I would add 2 or 3 gigs if you can and even then vista will want to use the RAM and Norton will hog the rest. I am not bashing I used to be a big norton fan till the past few years as it has became to much of a RAM hog and slows down the system when you want to do stuff.

I'm quite happy to add more RAM but because my XP Pro is 32-bit, it's not happy with having 4Gb of RAM. Also, due to limitations of motherboard, it won't allow more than 1 stick of DDR400 RAM, so my only choice is sticking :D with PC2700.

Back