• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Using Nero 9 and AnyDVD?

JJHA19421

Hello,

New to the forum and a big hello to everyone. Question I have is that I have Nero version 9 and am wondering if I can use anydvd/clonedvd with it? I'm looking to start burning and ripping dvd's and am new to this sort of stuff. To burn, is that all I would need? In terms of unlocking the encryption, is that what anydvd does? What does clonedvd do with regards to that? Again, bear with me as this stuff is new to me. I have a lot of dvd's bought legally that are scratched and would like to make a backup copy. I assume they are what's called CSS Encrypted.

Thanks for all your help in advance....Happy Holiday!!!!:)

Joe

If your Nero 9 has Nero Recode in it.... all you need to get going is AnyDVD.

AnyDVD unlocks a disk so that any DVD copy programs can copy it.
No matter what software you use to copy DVD's you need AnyDVD first to allow the computer to see your disk as unencrypted.

CloneDVD pretty much does what Nero Recode (or the freeware DVDShrink) does - except that it burns too. (as does Nero) They all allow you to copy all or certain parts of the DVD to a blank DVD. If you're using a cheaper DVD5 you'll need to remove extra stuff off the DVD or Compress (transcode) the DVD to make it fit.

The naked Nero is the burning application only. Both Nero Recode and DVDShrink have "hooks" in them to burn automaticly with the Nero burning ROM. CloneDVD has it's own burning ROM and doesn not invoke Nero.

Personally I use: AnyDVD>DVDShrink>Nero Burning ROM

Reccomendation: If you're going to back your DVDs up onto a DL DVD-9 just get CloneDVD and be done with it.

But if you're going to use the much cheaper DVD-5's then go with Nero Recode or DVDShrink - both of them have a transcoder that's remarkably superior in quality to CloneDVD.

PS: None of the programs can read a severely damaged disk. the time to back up a disk is when it is still new.

Last edited:
Clams,

How would I know if Nero 9 has the recode feature? I am waiting for it to arrive, just ordered it a couple of days ago. When you say Nero Burning ROM, is that actually just Nero, which is what I bought? I get confused by people saying Nero and then Nero Burning ROM. I think I'm going to get anydvd, but I wouldn't need clonedvd? Is that right. Also, have you heard of a product called DVD NeXT copy? The software seems to do it all. I don't plan on using Dual layer DVD's. I just want to make a simple copy and don't want it to be so complicated. What about disk compression? There is so much software out there that it just confuses me more. Each one says they are the best and blah, blah, blah. DVD shrink would work for the compression. DVD next copy apparently has the compression feature in the program. Thanks for your help.

Joe

Clonedvd is great as a pre-processor (and as a ripper) with Anydvd. Clonedvd also helps to ensure compatibility with Anydvd

As far as I'm concerned, Shrink (and especially Recode due to its buginess) are wastes of time. If I'm you're going to spend that much time compressing, you may as well be using something far superior called Dvd Rebuilder (google it).

How would I know if Nero 9 has the recode feature? I am waiting for it to arrive, just ordered it a couple of days ago. When you say Nero Burning ROM, is that actually just Nero, which is what I bought? I get confused by people saying Nero and then Nero Burning ROM. I think I'm going to get anydvd, but I wouldn't need clonedvd? Is that right. Also, have you heard of a product called DVD NeXT copy? The software seems to do it all. I don't plan on using Dual layer DVD's. I just want to make a simple copy and don't want it to be so complicated. What about disk compression? There is so much software out there that it just confuses me more. Each one says they are the best and blah, blah, blah. DVD shrink would work for the compression. DVD next copy apparently has the compression feature in the program. Thanks for your help.
Joe

Nero Recode is a program that should be included in the complete Nero 9 package. Webslinger is correct that Nero recode has a bug. However that bug affects about 1/10 of 1% of the disks out there.

Personally, I prefer DVDShrink over Nero Recode - they both use the same engine but DVDShrink has more selectable features than iether Recode or cloneDVD and is great for burning to a DVD-5. And Shrink doesn't have the bug that Recode has. (not that the bug is significant).

IMHO if you want to compress to DVD-5's you not only don't need CloneDVD, you want to avoid it.

-W

Clonedvd is great as a pre-processor (and as a ripper) with Anydvd. Clonedvd also helps to ensure compatibility with Anydvd

The AnyDVD ripper is just as capable as the CloneDVD ripper..it's just a hair slower but does as just good a job. I'm not sure exactly what "ensure compatability with AnyDVD" means - but I hear CloneDVD salesmen throw it around a lot. :D
AnyDVD works perfetly well with all the common DVD processing software out there. It's very livelyhood depends on it being able to do so. CloneDVD's livelyhood is in it's ability to attach itself to AnyDVD's (well deserved) #1 reputation and go for the ride.

As far as I'm concerned, Shrink (and especially Recode due to its buginess) are wastes of time. If I'm you're going to spend that much time compressing, you may as well be using something far superior called Dvd Rebuilder (google it).

I agree that since they use the same engine that Shrink is preferable to Recode. Yes, DVD rebuilder has a better transcoder than Shrink, but it's not for newbies iether - Webslinger is a "pro" at this stuff.

I reccomended iether Recode or Shrink because they are very easy to use, and 1000 people here can help you with them. Both of them far outperform CloneDVD when compressing onto a DVD-5 and both burn with Nero seamlessly. And both take about 15 minutes to do just the Main Movie.
(not counting the 8 minute burn time at 8x)

-W

Last edited:
I always thought that CloneDVD only worked on decrypted DVD's which is why you needed AnyDVD. Plus from what I remember CloneDVD allows you to remove trailers etc whereas shrink replaces them with a still image which in some cases can still take up quite a few MB's of disc space. On the few DVD's I still do I tend to run it through CloneDVD to remove all the extras first then run the new DVD through something else to shrink it

Last edited:
Correct! We all said that no matter what you use.. you need AnyDVD to remove the encyption - we all agreed on that part. See??

I'm of the opinion that if you want the best quality, you leave out the extra stuff and put just the Main Movie on a DVD-5.

But aside from the still image thing - DVDShrink has selective compression in full disk mode. This allows you to "over-compress" the Menus and the Extras to leave more room for the Main Movie. That feature alone makes up for the still image thing if you want to split the movie to 2 disks and keep the menu on both. (there's no real REASON to keep a menu on a Main Movie only disk by the way)

Last edited:
I'm not disagreeing on using it to do the final compression, I just use CloneDVD to completely remove the extras etc so they aren't taking up any space at all, then run it through shrink so you have as much space as possible for the main movie

I'm not disagreeing on using it to do the final compression, I just use CloneDVD to completely remove the extras etc so they aren't taking up any space at all, then run it through Shrink so you have as much space as possible for the main movie

And I do the same kinda thing.. only I re-author the main movie right out of the disk using Shrink. That will completely remove all the extras - for the very best possible space for the movie. But now that you got sold CloneDVD, I suppose you need to find something for it to do - before you finish the movie with DVDShrink anyway. :D

It's all about trade offs no matter what you use. You want more stuff, or you want quality is always the question.

If I must have those extras (very rare) and split it to 2 disks - I put the Main Movie on one disk (re-author) and everthing else on the second disk including the Menus (full disk and blank the movie) and need little to no compression on one or both disks.

-W

Last edited:
Yeah and as I want quality these days I tend to do very few DVD's and have switched to Blu-ray:)

Regardless of how compression/transcoding/re-encoding is done I always rip to my HDD with AnyDVD & CloneDVD. The resulting output from that is cleaner than when it started. If necessary I may use VobBlanker to do more cleaning. If necessary I then re-encode it rather than transcode.

When you say Nero Burning ROM, is that actually just Nero, which is what I bought? I get confused by people saying Nero and then Nero Burning ROM.

The Nero burning ROM is the engine of Nero that actually burns disks. The rest of the stuff that comes in the Nero Suite is extra programs and utilities.

Install only what you think you'll need - Nero is turning into "bloatware" lately. Think minimal.

-W

But

The Nero Start Smart programs come in handy for self diagnosis(it hurts when I do this)(then don't do that)

The AnyDVD ripper is just as capable as the CloneDVD ripper.

Not only is Anydvd slower, but you also can't remove anything before ripping.

I'm not sure exactly what "ensure compatability with AnyDVD"

It means I don't have to have to hope Clonedvd works properly with a disc with Anydvd running in the background.

AnyDVD works perfetly well with all the common DVD processing software out there.

Only if you rip first using "rip video dvd to harddisk"

Yes, DVD rebuilder has a better transcoder than Shrink

Dvd Rebuilder is not a transcoder. It's a UI for encoders--and it happens to include HC Encoder (which is an excellent freeware encoder). Encoders produce better output than transcoders.

Dvd Rebuilder is also fairly compatible with Anydvd. The Dvd Rebuilder developer uses Anydvd, and I have yet to encounter a dvd that required ripping with Anydvd ripper first when using DVD Rebuilder.

However, I generally don't compress video. I use Verbatim +R DL.

but it's not for newbies iether

It's fairly easy to use, actually. I can't really see Shrink users having problems.

I easily agree that DVDRebuilder is the better shrinker.... but this guy hasn't used ANYTHING at all yet. So at least if he starts with Shrink or Recode... he can get his feet wet. And both of those hook to Nero for burning - making it easy for this guy. With DVD Rebuilder you need to download yet another 3rd party burning tool to burn the output. But Yes Dvd Rebulder into ImgBurn is probably the "best" way to go - I just don't think it's for a Newbie that already bought Nero.

The net result of making thse discussions overly complex is that a newbie can get confused with a myriad of good free third party products out there. But, what's easy to note is that nobody in this whole thread uses CloneDVD to compress to a DVD-5, for good reason. :D

But there is a reason that DVDShrink 3.2 is the #1 most used copy program out there.
It's still very good, easy, free, and hooks to Nero to burn.
Yes, yes, on one out of 10 disks you need ot use the AnyDVD ripper first... big deal.

-W

Last edited:
Back