• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Using Nero 9 and AnyDVD?

Hi all,

Well, I downloaded both anydvd and clondedvd for their free 21 day trial period. I know about the free updates if purchased before Dec 31st and I intend to do that. I inserted a disk and let anydvd do the decryption and anydvd to the burn. From start to finish it averaged about 22 minutes to burn and rip 1 dvd. Now, I'm not an expert, but is that about average? Everything seemed to work correctly. I played the burned copy and it looks pretty good. At least enough to satisfy my own standards which aren't very high since I'm a newbie at this. Also, didn't need to use dvdshrink since clondedvd compressed the material for me. If clonedvd does the compression, would I still need DVD rebuilder? Is it really that hard to learn?

What are transcoders vs encoders? Technical stuff.

That's about average time.. yes. It depends on system speed.

All the discussion you have been reading is about "compressors" and the quality thereof.
All of the products, of course compress - the only question is: How well?
In the context of the 4 products primarily mentioned here in this thread:
CloneDVD has the lowest quality compressor of the bunch.
Followed by a tie for 2nd place between DVDShrink and Nero Recode.
DVD Rebuilder uses an Encoder (as opposed to a Transcoder like the other 3) and gets the best results.

No matter what you use... unless there's a good reason you actually want menus and commercials - it's best to take just the main movie with only the English AC3 5,1 audio track to improve quality. And your movie just plays when you pop it in. :)

In MY OPINION if you just take the Main Movie as per above:
CloneDVD can yield good to very good results 75% of the time
Shrink and Recode about 90% of the time (100% if you use 2 passes through it)
DVD Rebuilder near perfect quality 100% of the time.

example: The worst movie to come down the pike in a long, long time was the Dark Knight. (huge file size)
Main Movie Only:
The CloneDVD compressor did not yield very good results.
Shrink and Recode did, but only if you did it in two passes. (reduce to 85% and then reduce that to fit DVD-5)
DVD Rebuilder (which can be set for an automatic number of passes) yeilds near perfect results.

Remember, "We Three Geeks" are viewing the outcomes on good quality large screens (I'm at 105 inches)
So our idea of visible quality loss is said with a critical eye on good stuff.

-W

PS: Slinger and Drinkie are bigger geeks than me because they use DVD rebulder :D :D

Last edited:
thanks for all your help clams, question though. Can I burn a CD using anydvd/clonedvd?? Also, does anydvd take off the encryption just like it does for DVD's?

Thanks

So, you have to have seperate software for both dvd's and cd's? I thought you could use 1 software for both. What software will take off the DRM on the cd's? Could I use Nero for CD's?

Thanks

So, you have to have seperate software for both dvd's and cd's? I thought you could use 1 software for both. What software will take off the DRM on the cd's? Could I use Nero for CD's?

Thanks

I htink Nero will copy most CD's - you can also rip a CD in Windows Media Player and then burn the rip.

-W

I downloaded exactaudiocopy, is there anything else that is needed to burn a cd? Thanks for all the help.

I downloaded exactaudiocopy, is there anything else that is needed to burn a cd? Thanks for all the help.

Mmmm . . .

I don't have a lot of experience with protected audio cds (I don't have any Cactus Data Shield protected cds, for example), so I'm not sure. For 80-85% of audio cds, you're probably fine.

Last edited:
Mmmm . . .

I don't have a lot of experience with protected audio cds, so I'm not sure. For 80-85% of audio cds, you're probably fine.

It needs to be remembered that once upon a time Exact Audio Copy retrieved the native TOC (Table of Contents) and ignore the rest. This allowed you to copy older style protected CDs. A magazine article debated whether it was legal or not. In order to eliminate any chance of legal action based upon a claim that he was breaking German law the author removed this from the program.

I believe that the function in AnyDVD that is Remove Digital CD Audio Protection does something similar. What I know for sure is that when this option is enabled any CD that contains mixed content such as an enhanced CD will only be seen as having audio. You will have no access to the enhanced features. To access them you need to disable this setting.

In short, EAC does nothing to remove copy protection on discs and hasn't since sometime in early 2006 in order to comply with German law.

In order to burn using EAC you must have one of the downloaded version containing CDRDAO or you can compile and add it yourself. Otherwise you will need to use another application for burning a new CD.

It needs to be remembered that once upon a time Exact Audio Copy retrieved the native TOC (Table of Contents) and ignore the rest. This allowed you to copy older style protected CDs. A magazine article debated whether it was legal or not. In order to eliminate any chance of legal action based upon a claim that he was breaking German law the author removed this from the program.

Yes, I'm aware of that. I think I posted as much on these forums at one time.

Even so, I've manage to backup at least one copy protected audio cd using Exact Audio Copy.

But I don't have any Cactus Data Shield protected audio cds to test.

Yes, I'm aware of that. I think I posted as much on these forums at one time.

Even so, I've manage to backup at least one copy protected audio cd using Exact Audio Copy.

But I don't have any Cactus Data Shield protected audio cds to test.

I was just clarifying the point. You and I both know not everyone searches and therefore wouldn't have read your or my prior posts on this subject. ;)

I have no idea how many discs are protected or how well these days. I have to think that the protected discs are still in the minority, however. Nonetheless, considering that AnyDVD hasn't been stated to have been updated for removing CD protection, I'm not sure how well it works on newer discs.

I use AnyDVD (or Decrypter) to remove all protection.
DVD Shrink to remove all but the main movie, and strive for 5% compression or less, usually I get 0% compression. DVD Shrink is great, it allows me to remove even the rolling credits at the end of a movie, foreign languages,.....
Finally, I burn with either Decrypter or DVD Architect Pro.

Hope this helps,

I am glad i am old enough and stuck to my eras music because none of my music cds have DRM on them. My classic rock is just that old Stones yes, newer no, same for Aerosmith and the other bands that have endured their older stuff is better imo. I just bought the AnyDVD HD after a couple days of trial use and love it. I use it with Nero 9. Dark Knight produced without a glitch.

I am glad i am old enough and stuck to my eras music because none of my music cds have DRM on them. My classic rock is just that old Stones yes, newer no, same for Aerosmith and the other bands that have endured their older stuff is better imo. I just bought the AnyDVD HD after a couple days of trial use and love it. I use it with Nero 9. Dark Knight produced without a glitch.

If you use Nero, or programs that generally can't handle structural protections (including Shrink), right-click on the fox icon on your toolbar, and select "Rip video-dvd to Hard Disk". Choose your source and destination paths. Click "Copy", and wait for Anydvd ripper to finish. You can then import that rip into whatever program you want. This is an important step if the original disc contains structural protection.

click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=3992 and read fully

You don't need to do this if you own Clonedvd or are planning to make a backup with Clonecd.

Last edited:
If you use Nero, or programs that generally can't handle structural protections (including Shrink), right-click on the fox icon on your toolbar, and select "Rip video-dvd to Hard Disk". Choose your source and destination paths. Click "Copy", and wait for Anydvd ripper to finish. You can then import that rip into whatever program you want. This is an important step if the original disc contains structural protection.

click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=3992 and read fully

You don't need to do this if you own Clonedvd or are planning to make a backup with Clonecd.

I did Dark Knight dvd R1, AnyDVD HD running and used Nero 9 copy disc function, no compression or removal of any functions or material of original disc onto a DVD DL blank. Was this not supposed to work on Dark Knight? The copy plays fine all the way through.

I did Dark Knight dvd R1, AnyDVD HD running and used Nero 9 copy disc function, no compression or removal of any functions or material of original disc onto a DVD DL blank. Was this not supposed to work on Dark Knight? The copy plays fine all the way through.

It's possible that not all of the protection is properly removed on the backup, even if it does play fine. If a dvd contains structural protection, you should not use Nero with Anydvd running in the background. Rather, you should rip first using "rip video dvd to harddisk"--and then use Nero on those ripped files.

I use AnyDVD (or Decrypter) to remove all protection.
DVD Shrink to remove all but the main movie, and strive for 5% compression or less, usually I get 0% compression. DVD Shrink is great, it allows me to remove even the rolling credits at the end of a movie, foreign languages,.....
Finally, I burn with either Decrypter or DVD Architect Pro.

Hope this helps,

If you own AnyDVD you don't need Decrypter ever again - ever.

Also, you should really eat the 3% extra compression and leave the rolling credits at the end of a movie. That name up on the big screen is part of the payment for the people that made your movie. That unknown guy on the list of carpenters at the end of Titanic; is very proud he was there, and that his name is forever on the top grossing picture. Don't take that away from him to save 3% compression.

In my way of thinking cutting the closing credits off is even worse than copying a rental - because it insults the people who made your film.

Trivia: If you're at a movie theater and the projectionist cuts off the movie before the very last credit rolls - ask for a free ticket - you'll get it. My wife and I have hit that one a few times.

-W (cousin works in Hollywood)

Back