• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Ultraviolet DRM protections

I'd prefer to be done with iTunes files at this point. I have no interest in iDevices. The latest titles I've received do have something that seems to work on Android, though. I haven't tried it yet. I am very hopeful UV will work on Android and eventually my consoles. You can have 6 users per account and 12 devices. 3 of which can stream at the same time. That's not so bad. As for Canada, you guys always seem to get screwed. sigh.

I not have any idevices yet and may not even get any unless I decide I want the Apple TV but do watch the iTunes movies on computer. You are correct all of us in Canada get screwed for this stuff

Despite being in Australia, im thinking of buying Green Lantern on BD from Amazon.com just to put this UV to the test, should I make the jump in the name of Slysoft ? :)

Another thought...to ponder...

With all of this discussion of what is going to come within the future...it seems to me that the more we put ourselves on the internet and into the virtual world of ours...a single good DDoS attack might just take down our virtual world in the "clouds"?

I do not mind utilizing a cloud based system. Hell, I use it for my voicemail (Google Voice) and second phone line, and I also have my music that I purchased on Amazon.com saved in my personal cloud player free of charge... :agree:

HOWEVER!

I have yet to fully concede my whole frame of mind to a cloud-based system. The internet and virtual worlds that reside there in the WWW are STILL NOT SUSCEPTIBLE TO DDoS AND OTHER FORMS OF ATTACKS, IMHO! :disagree:

I have yet to use a digital copy of any movie that I had purchased a licensed copy of that came with the original move as an "extra" or as an "additional feature". I have an steel trap when it comes to remembering movies that I have watched and there are very few movies that I want to save on a hard copy. But I still like to backup the ones I do own...

...and not on the cloud either... ;)

Only the licenses are stored in the cloud. The content is stored on disc or disk... Your choice.

I would utilize cloud-based storage if the site offered an Authenticator like Google

Only the licenses are stored in the cloud. The content is stored on disc or disk... Your choice.

That is even worse because a good hacker perceivably trace that back to the origins of where the license was purchased. I am only talking worse case here. :agree:

I think that Google has a great idea that you have an authenticator that you could utilize when you need to log into your account to retrieve your private information. I use it on my gmail accounts, since they are cloud based. In order to log into them I need to run the Google Authenticator application on my Android and type in the pin associated with that particular login segment. If the code is wrongly entered or time runs out the authenticator regenerates another pin and the latter becomes void. It just presents another way for no one swiping or hijacking my gmail accounts. ;)

CHEERS! :rock:

Ultraviolet

I am taking a wait and see approach with this.......I guess I'm doing a little trial run right now.....I own almost 300 movies purchased with the VUDU HD Movie service.....I have a number of them downloaded to my VUDU box, with the rest stored in the cloud....It is not the Ultraviolet digital locker, but VUDU's.......I haven't any problem with accessing my films at any time...

What I like about Ultraviolet is the download capability of it.....Being able to purchase to download and store locally has been something I've been waiting for.....Content would even be able to be played offline.....The studios want to pump up SALES of their content, not rentals, that's where the bucks are.......

If this ecosystem is implemented as advertised, it could render moot the whole buy Blu-ray, rip to a format that can be played on other devices, and dealing with incompatibility with those devices......

And what do you do if you then want to play it back on a device that isn't ultraviolet compatible?

And what do you do if you then want to play it back on a device that isn't ultraviolet compatible?

My current setup has nothing to do with Ultraviolet yet.....Down the road i may be able to link my owned films with it.......I can access my films on any VUDU app enabled device, though.....I just mentioned my situation as kind of a peek into the future....

There are not any UV compatible devices out yet to my knowledge.......

Incorrect. There are a LOT of UV compatible devices. They require you to load a proprietary app on your device (tablets, phones, PC's) and I suspect consoles are coming soon enough. This proprietary app then authenticates to allow you to watch your content. However, the promise of being able to download isn't quite there yet. I *HIGHLY* recommend everyone read this:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news...a-while-how-the-new-ultraviolet-drm-fails.ars

While the CONCEPT of UV is great, the implementation so far sucks. Badly. We'll see if it improves.

Good article. Thanks for the link.

Until the day comes where i can download an identical copy of the Bluray video that I just purchased (meaning 1080p and high def audio) and play it on any device that I want WITHOUT having to use some proprietary player, then i'll pass on that garbage.

I don't care if they tag the file so they can track it over the net. Once I own the file, i should be able to play it on anything i own.

Anything other than that is far short of what i can do already today.

I think my biggest concern is the supposed 1 year limitation. That doesn't suggest ownership to me. Obviously it remains to be seen what happens after a year but they aren't guaranteeing permanent access. I think as it matures it might have potential, but, so far it's missing the mark. My first UV title comes on 11/11 so I'll get to play with it next weekend.

I bought the Green Lantern (2011) blu ray movie with the Ultraviolet stuff in it, but I have no intention of using it.

AnyDVD HD/CloneDVD2/ClownBD/BD-Rebuilder works just fine for me.

Thank you MPAA, for making my decison so easy to make.

I think my biggest concern is the supposed 1 year limitation. That doesn't suggest ownership to me. Obviously it remains to be seen what happens after a year but they aren't guaranteeing permanent access. I think as it matures it might have potential, but, so far it's missing the mark. My first UV title comes on 11/11 so I'll get to play with it next weekend.

My biggest concern is that this is the MPAA and since thier first instinct is to ALWAYS screw the customer for profit in anything they do, I just can't bring myself to give them full control over my digital library.

They might start something that works perfectly now and then change it in the future simply because it's too convenient for the consumer. That's just a chance i wouldn't take.

Keeping AnyDVD around ensures that when the day comes when they decide that the digital UV movies are no longer available (maybe after a year) then i will still be able to have my digital library...in better quality i might add as well.

Incorrect. There are a LOT of UV compatible devices. They require you to load a proprietary app on your device (tablets, phones, PC's) and I suspect consoles are coming soon enough. This proprietary app then authenticates to allow you to watch your content. However, the promise of being able to download isn't quite there yet. I *HIGHLY* recommend everyone read this:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news...a-while-how-the-new-ultraviolet-drm-fails.ars

While the CONCEPT of UV is great, the implementation so far sucks. Badly. We'll see if it improves.

Thanks for this, I was unaware of an app that could be downloaded to make a device compliant.......Where is this app available????

Ok, I read the article, it was a good read......I agree the concept of it is great, as long as the studios participate fully in allowing fair use rights.....My needs are pretty simple, the UV system, if downloads of HD content to local storage for OFFLINE play is allowed....I will work for me.....I only want the downloads to feed my HT system, and start to phase out optical disks.....It works very well right now with my current movie service.....Like I said, I am taking a wait and see approach to UV.....Like Blu-ray in it's infancy, there were a lot of bugs to squash before it became the product it is today.....

Last edited:
Yea, I don't have any UV titles just yet. First one will be next week. The apps are supposedly in your tablet/phone's market or can be downloaded on the PC at flixter.com I guess. I really have no idea. The concept is good, albeit I'm not a fan of the "after a year screw you" approach. We shall see how it evolves.

There's nothing to bypass, Ultraviolet is not a DRM, it's just a digital copy. Doesn't affect the Blu-Ray disc itself.

Back