• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

UHD playback requirements in PDVD with AnyDVD?

No, can't do, sorry.

Thank you for weighing in, James. I did a little more digging after finding this paper published last year, and found that only one change is required to get PowerDVD to play discs under VMware:
  • In the .vmx file, add the following line: monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = "TRUE"
This disables VMware's Ring 3 response to the IN instruction (which also disables essentially all of the various VMware guest tools). With this fixed, PowerDVD will play VIDEO_TS folders instead of hanging.

Since it would be preferable to be able to use shared host folders, would it be possible to intercept the IN instruction only when executed by a PowerDVD process and force it to return 0?

(For posterity, the only other conflict with VMware seems to be if you install the VMware Tools SVGA driver. In that case, the following two changes are also required:
  • Change the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0000/DriverDesc from "VMware SVGA 3D" to "".
  • Disable 3D acceleration in VMware.
Various pages out there make it sound like installing VMware Tools ruins everything, but it doesn't.)

Minor update:

Sadly, I haven't been able to get VMware to play BDMV folders. There's a new wrinkle: "Playback stopped because your graphics card driver is incompatible. Make sure it meets the minimum requirements. You can find additional information on the CyberLink FAQ web site (code = 0012)."

I've tried with and without the VMware graphics driver (of course with restrict_backdoor set, or else it doesn't even start playing), at varying resolutions (> 1152x64 requires the VMware driver), with no change.

I wonder if it requires GPU decoding, which would require the 3D acceleration of the fully-functional VMware graphics driver, which requires the backdoor? My impression was that as long as the media wasn't encrypted it wouldn't insist on HDCP or iGPU decoding, so I'm guessing that's not it.

Did you even manage to play a video at all?
I cannot imagine there's a smooth playback in the remote session (from the VM) :unsure:

Back