• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

UHD playback requirements in PDVD with AnyDVD?

cybrsage

Obviously AnyDVD defeats the protection so we can play back an ISO of a UHD movie. Does it also defeat all the other requirements PDVD has? Most specifically, I am interested in the SGX requirement. I did a search but failed to find it.

I am going to guess it defeats them all, but I would love verification.

Thanks!

SGX was too short to search for, which is why I posted the question. However, I just found the answer, so I figured I would update this thread. Figures I would find my answer after I post the question, story of my life! lol

Originally Posted By SamuriHL
I don't know why people keep making this so confusing. It's really, truly, NOT confusing AT ALL.

Disc == AACS 2.x protected, SGX is required for playback
Disc == NOT AACS 2.x protected, SGX is NOT required for playback

Given that AnyDVD removes the AACS protection in real time, you can see why playback works without requiring SGX.

<commentary>
SGX SUCKS. I have a fully compliant system and wasn't able to get it to work until a full windows reinstall and even then it's still touchy.
</commentary>

Free your content from the protection and forget SGX ever existed.

I don't know if the following info helps, but my experience with PowerDVD version 21 has been quite positive when playing UHD discs.

I am currently running Windows 11, PowerDVD, AnyDVD HD on their latest versions. My PC was built with a Crosshair VII Hero (most recent UEFI firmware 4603), a Ryzen 9 3900X CPU, and an EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC. The optical drive is the LG WH16NS40.

I am yet to insert an UHD disc that will not play. PowerDVD 21 will let me choose whether I should play the disc with HDR or not, in this case my Dell monitor does not support HDR, and thus this is not a relevant issue.

I also have Aiseesoft's Blu-Ray player and PotPlayer 64 bits installed, both work fine with UHD discs as well, albeit without menus.

I have all these players for reference work only, never for using them as an HTPC. But I suppose that with a proper monitor and sound decoder all the remaining features will surface and play correctly.

Last edited:
To be clear, that's only possible with AnyDVD running and decrypting on the fly. I know you know this, I'm just putting that out there for anyone who may be reading this.

If the protection is in place, all of PowerDVD's SGX requirements apply.
If the protection is removed, the SGX requirements do not apply and it's treated differently by PowerDVD. Which is how you can play it on non-Intel equipment.

Again, I know you're aware of this, just making it clear for others.

To be clear, that's only possible with AnyDVD running and decrypting on the fly. I know you know this, I'm just putting that out there for anyone who may be reading this.

If the protection is in place, all of PowerDVD's SGX requirements apply.
If the protection is removed, the SGX requirements do not apply and it's treated differently by PowerDVD. Which is how you can play it on non-Intel equipment.

Again, I know you're aware of this, just making it clear for others.

I've tried with a UHD in the drive, AnyDVD running and "decrypting on the fly". I've also tried ripping to an unprotected .iso - but PowerDVD refuses to play citing SGX requirements. Did something change or am I missing something?

Depends on the version of PowerDVD. Needs to be PowerDVD 20 or higher.

Ah ha... Thank you. Now I need to decide if I want to upgrade. The PDVD 23 trial doesn't allow UHD playback so I can test. JRiver hangs for me when loading any kind of BD menus. Ugh!

You can play BDs using VLC Media Player.
For the menus, you have to install java and there is a keysdb thing you can use to play it without AnyDVD.
But I cannot tell if that also works with UHD Discs, I only used it with AnyDVD so far.

Thanks. I changed LAV to copy back and a few different options, but JRiver still locks up when it tries to launch any menus. I started a thread on the JRiver forum, and will try a different PC tonight. I appreciate the helpful ideas.

That's weird. I'm using it right now as I type with full menus and it's working fine. Hopefully JRiver can figure it out.

It works on a separate machine so it's some other conflict. I can work it out. I see why you promote JRiver, it seems to be stable and menus work without a hitch.

A bit concerned about the need for an "install key" on reinstallation. Seems to mean if JRiver folds up my purchased software might not be able to be reinstalled to a new machine.

Last edited:
They've been around for a very long time now. They aren't going anywhere. Hendrick, the author of the LAV filters, works for them now, too. JRVR is their new renderer which is pretty damn good all things considered. I've been using JRiver for years and absolutely love it.

Good enough, I've taken bigger risks with my money :)

To complete my "thread creep", maybe you can also help with this: I wish to launch my movie (files/folders) via command line without the media center popping up first. I've found I can launch the movie from command line using /importandplay <path> but it always seems to bring the windowed media center visible before starting the movie (kind of jarring in a light controlled home theater on a large screen).

Also: do you find it handles forced subitltes correctly?

I don't know the command line switches, no. There's likely a way to force it to open full screen. I have all the file types associated with MC so I can just open them directly and it plays them full screen.

As for subs that's another lav filter thing. You can customize the rules for subtitles. But there's also settings for subs in the MC settings under video. Try that first.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Hey, SamuriHL

I'm getting on great with JRiver MC. I can launch it on the command line sending it the index.bdmv file, and using "Menu" playback it seems to always (so far) properly include any forced subtitles.

How do you find it's working on screenpass titles? As an example, Hunger Games (tested the first two movies) - it plays correctly (reads the correct playlist in the disc.inf file) when in TITLE playback mode - but when using menus it still throws the "copy detected" message 10 or 15 minutes into the movie.

It reads the disc.inf file using file mode. In menu mode you should try anydvd speed menu to see if it'll play correctly. Personally I rip everything to mkv so I dent have these problems but it should work using the speed menu.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Depends on the version of PowerDVD. Needs to be PowerDVD 20 or higher.

Has anybody been able to get PowerDVD to work in a VM? My machine runs Linux, so I only run Windows apps in a VM. I was able to get PDVD to launch by clearing the DriverDesc in the registry that indicates a VMware video adapter, but then trying to play any kind of media is just blank.

I was hoping that PowerDVD 20 or higher would also be less sensitive about running in a VM, but I guess not?

Maybe AnyDVD could create something like their unique Cinavia fixer that would let it run in a VM?

I noticed that it has been a while since I last posted on this thread. Since this posting, a few things have changed in my setup, which may be worth sharing.

First, my previous, expensive, Dell monitor was retired, on account of Dell's lack of support and service, shameful. I then decided to install the new LG 32UL750-W monitor, which features a VESA DisplayHDR 600 screen. After that, PowerDVD worked with all its features, and I am still on version 21. Funny that this monitor produces an exemplary film picture inside Windows, but I had to delve into the NVidia control panel to adjust a few settings, nothing much complicated.

Windows does not support, as far as I can tell, Dolby Vision, but the user can play the discs with that codec in any UHD standalone player with HDR10, and the same HDR10 playback is supported in Windows.

Second, my old faithful LG WH16NS40 drive had its days numbered, when the open/close switch started to fail, and I could not find a single repair shop to replace it. So, I had to import the same drive again, and as a result I faced the same locked firmware, which prevents users to even read UHD Blu-Rays. This issue was sorted out by using Leawo's UHD drive tool, which replaced the firmware fairly quickly.

Back