• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

The Hobbit - AnyDVD gives error message

earthwalker

Using AnyDVD version 7.3.1.0
Checked for a higher beta version but didn't find one.
Set "default" status on AnyDVD (just in case that makes a difference - it did not)
Disc: "The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey" (US disc)
Trying to rip to hard drive. I put disc in the DVD drive, but after AnyDVD scans the disc it gives me the error message below:
--------------
Warning
AnyDVD is unable to crack all CSS Keys on this Disc! Any DVD will guess the correct CSS Key, but it is possible that one or more titles on this disc will not play correctly.
You can check the AnyDVD CSS key archive from the AnyDVD settings window.
Note" to avoid this message in the future, you should set your drive region code to match the region of this disc.
--------------
I had this error years ago, and at that time I set the region code on my burner (region 1) and downloaded the beta version - that solved the problem, so those were the first two things I checked for.

I double-checked the region code as I've changed DVD drives since then, but when I checked it was still set to region 1.

I searched the forum, but the issues I saw others had were on earlier versions of AnyDVD.
Assuming I did it correctly the log file is attached.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_7.3.1.0_Info_D_THE_HOBBIT_UNEXPECTED_JOURNEY.zip
    161.6 KB · Views: 6
CLOSE AnyDVD and set Region code of your DVD Drive.

Warning
AnyDVD is unable to crack all CSS Keys on this Disc! Any DVD will guess the correct CSS Key, but it is possible that one or more titles on this disc will not play correctly.
You can check the AnyDVD CSS key archive from the AnyDVD settings window.
Note" to avoid this message in the future, you should set your drive region code to match the region of this disc.
--------------
I had this error years ago, and at that time I set the region code on my burner (region 1) and downloaded the beta version - that solved the problem, so those were the first two things I checked for.

I double-checked the region code as I've changed DVD drives since then, but when I checked it was still set to region 1.

I searched the forum, but the issues I saw others had were on earlier versions of AnyDVD.
Assuming I did it correctly the log file is attached.

Summary for drive D: (AnyDVD 7.3.1.0, BDPHash.bin 13-08-02)
HP DVD WRITER 1260V AH24 2012/02/14 17:06
Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)

Your drive region is not set. You must EXIT AnyDVD (right-click the fox icon and select exit) before you try to set the region.

Your drive region is not set. You must EXIT AnyDVD (right-click the fox icon and select exit) before you try to set the region.

Anydvd does have region emulation but the actual drive region must be set in your DM to set the correct drive region of the drive itself. You don't have to exit Anydvd you have to go to DM and find the drive and set the region from your DM and you will not have to worry about that error message from coming up.

You don't have to exit Anydvd you have to go to DM and find the drive and set the region from your DM

I think you will find that you are in fact wrong, You have to exit out of Anydvd to set the drive region.

Anydvd does have region emulation but the actual drive region must be set in your DM to set the correct drive region of the drive itself. You don't have to exit Anydvd you have to go to DM and find the drive and set the region from your DM and you will not have to worry about that error message from coming up.

This is indeed wrong. You must exit AnyDVD for the region setting to stick.

-W

As I said, I set the region a few years ago, checked & it is still set to region 1. See screen shot (attached).

Attachments

• Region screen.jpg
    Region screen.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 10
As I said, I set the region a few years ago, checked & it is still set to region 1. See screen shot (attached).

You are wrong

Code:
Summary for drive D: (AnyDVD 7.3.1.0, BDPHash.bin 13-08-02)
HP DVD WRITER 1260V AH24 2012/02/14 17:06
[B]Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)[/B]
Current profile: DVD-ROM
Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 1999344 sectors (3904 MBytes)
Total size: 3915937 sectors (7648 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: THE_HOBBIT_UNEXPECTED_JOURNEY
Media is CSS protected!
Media is locked to region(s): 1 4!
Video Standard: NTSC

AI scan forced, heuristic scan detected no protection!
Using online database!
Found & removed structural copy protection!
RCE protection not found.
UDF filesystem patched!
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Removed CSS copy protection!
Found & removed 1 potential bad sector protections!
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

It would seem to be an error within AnyDVD that it is not recognizing the region is set, even though it has been. Note that I restarted AnyDVD & Clone DVD multiple times, and even tried reinstalling 7.3.1.0 version in case any of these helped. I have not had problems with any of the other discs I've ripped... just this one.

please explain how... I followed the instructions for changing region, I showed you a screen shot showing the region was set... so where else would one change it...? What part of the screen shot is wrong?

EXIT AnyDVD so it's not anymore in the Taskbar.

Click Start - Control Panel - Device Manager - DVD /CD Rom Drives - right click on UR DVD Drive (HP DVD WRITER 1260V) - Properties - DVD Region - Choose UR Country out of the list - Click OK - Region Code will change

If you want u can restart PC after that but it should be OK without it.
Start AnyDVD again and Rip the DVD again.

EXIT AnyDVD so it's not anymore in the Taskbar.

Click Start - Control Panel - Device Manager - DVD /CD Rom Drives - right click on UR DVD Drive (HP DVD WRITER 1260V) - Properties - DVD Region - Choose UR Country out of the list - Click OK - Region Code will change

If you want u can restart PC after that but it should be OK without it.
Start AnyDVD again and Rip the DVD again.

Those are the instructions I followed earlier - screen shot attached (please *look* at the screen shot) - when I got to the "region tab" it opened saying "current region: Region 1" - If it says that how is it not set? Restarting won't make a difference as I did not change it recently, it was set to that region several years ago when I first set it.

Please explain why the device manager clearly shows the region is set to region 1 and yet it is "not set" according to the log file or the people on this list.

Please also explain why the 5 discs I ripped this morning worked just fine if the region matters so much? Perhaps it is a new "protection" on the Hobbit disc that refuses to "see" the DVD region code that is already set??

Attachments

• Region screen.jpg
    Region screen.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 17
Those are the instructions I followed earlier - screen shot attached (please *look* at the screen shot) - when I got to the "region tab" it opened saying "current region: Region 1" - If it says that how is it not set? Restarting won't make a difference as I did not change it recently, it was set to that region several years ago when I first set it.

Please explain why the device manager clearly shows the region is set to region 1 and yet it is "not set" according to the log file or the people on this list.

Please also explain why the 5 discs I ripped this morning worked just fine if the region matters so much? Perhaps it is a new "protection" on the Hobbit disc that refuses to "see" the DVD region code that is already set??
If AnyDVD is still running in the background then Windows will think the drive region is set even when it isn't so the screen shot you posted doesn't really show anything.
Some discs need the region to be set to work properly, whilst others don't, so the fact that other discs worked just means that those discs didn't need the region of the drive to be set to make them work

Don't just DISABLE, you need to EXIT AnyDVD before setting the region code - or else you get a false positive that it's set.
The region code must be set for certain DVD's to in order to crack the Css codes - you just hit one of them is all.

New protection HEH - every noobie goes there first.
Note that all of us here (except you) have ripped The Hobbit.

-W

Last edited:
If AnyDVD is still running in the background then Windows will think the drive region is set even when it isn't so the screen shot you posted doesn't really show anything.
Some discs need the region to be set to work properly, whilst others don't, so the fact that other discs worked just means that those discs didn't need the region of the drive to be set to make them work

Thanks so much for explaining. I rebooted the computer, exited AnyDVD and not only did the region tab show nothing set, it said I had 5 changes (where the earlier screen shot I posted showed it set & 4 changes...) very odd. I set it with AnyDVD turned off, and now it is working.

Adbear I really appreciate you took the time t explain - the other answers of "you're wrong" or "set your region" etc. are totally NOT helpful. I can't fix it if I don't know device manager is showing false information or why it would do that.

Thanks again for your help Adbear!

It might be a good idea to update point 13. b) on this sticky to reflect that also:

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=5091

It would be VERY helpful to update the instructions to explain turning off AnyDVD is necessary, and that if you don't do so the device manager may show false information... had that been in the instructions I wouldn't have needed to ask for help.

Actually mate that is not odd. That's how anydvd works. It operates on a level before windows sees the drive. So when you set the region on a drive you set it virtually in anydvd and not actually on the drive. It is only when anydvd is disabled that windows sees the "reel" drive and only then can you physically set the region and have it sticks.

Same way anydvd decrypts a disc. Drive sends a signal that there is a disc in the drive to windows. Anydvd sort of intercepts that signal and decrypts the disc. When done, anydvd then reports to windows that there is a disc inside the drive. And since anydvd is running, all windows sees is a decrypted disc.

drive. It is only when anydvd is disabled that windows sees the "real" drive and only then can you physically set the region and have it sticks.

NO.
Not disabled - but rather exited. There is a difference.

-W

Back