• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Resolved Subtitles (again)

Neil Wilkes

I just tried to get Season 3 of Fargo from the streaming channel (Amazon Prime) only to find that there are large sections where German is being spoken and there are zero subtitles for this on the download, unless I enable all subtitles for English - yet when I play the episode on the TV direct from Amazon Prime there are automatic 'forced' subs for the german language sections.

Why does this keep on happening?
Another exam,ple is 'Samurai - the War for Japan' on Netflix.
Playing on the TV these translate the Japanese language sections automatically even though subs are off, yet on the downloaded versions there is nothing.

PLEASE can this get sorted out?

I just tried to get Season 3 of Fargo from the streaming channel (Amazon Prime) only to find that there are large sections where German is being spoken and there are zero subtitles for this on the download, unless I enable all subtitles for English - yet when I play the episode on the TV direct from Amazon Prime there are automatic 'forced' subs for the german language sections.

Playing on the TV these translate the Japanese language sections automatically even though subs are off, yet on the downloaded versions there is nothing.

PLEASE can this get sorted out?
Without a log of each incident that you've mentioned, there isn't much that the people at RedFox can do to help you.

The next time something like that happens, please post a log of it.

:)

PLEASE can this get sorted out
Please post a log file. No one has mentioned an issue with subtitles except you, if you are having an issue with them, please, post a log file so I can see what subs you have chosen and what kind of titles you have enabled in our Settings Panel.

Update number 1 - the Netflix series has changed, and English (Forced) is now available when it was not before, so please chalk that one up to Netflix.

The second one - Fargo Season 3 from Amazon Prime I am re-downloading now & will upload the logs as soon as Episode 1 is finished.
I checked it off the Sky Q UHD box and when the German dialogue happens it is automatically shown onscreen as English Subs, even though subtitles are turned OFF in the player off the Sky box - this is expected though, as the only subtitle option seems to be for English CC, which is not the same thing of course.
I'll check the download when it is finished and post back, with a log file if the problem is still extant

I am assuming you are watching on MGM channel on AP. I don't see any forced subs on season 3. Is it possible that these forced subtitles are burned in? Can you give an example of an episode and timestamp where there should be subs.

I have no idea what this is. But sub titles are available from al providers, I checked.

It's the current Sky Q box that gets me UHD, a 4Tb storage and access to various streaming services.
One of these:
https://www.sky.com/tv/sky-q

The Amazon Prime download definitely does not get me the forced translation that happens on the TV.
Log File attached - my sole option was English Closed Captions, and that is not the same thing at all as this puts up subs for everything, instead of just the parts where German Language is being spoken - as I see on the TV.

As you will see from the 2 screenshots, Netflix has added 'English (Forced)' but a similar option is just not present from the Amazon Prime download
I am assuming you are watching on MGM channel on AP. I don't see any forced subs on season 3. Is it possible that these forced subtitles are burned in? Can you give an example of an episode and timestamp where there should be subs.

This is exactly my problem - there are no obvious 'Forced' subs, and they are definitely not burned in or I would see them in VLC Media Player on the downloaded episode, which I simply don't.

Not using the MGM channel as AFAIK I don't have that subscription (I am in the UK, so things will probably be different outside of Europe)
I simply Power up the Sky Q box, Navigate to Apps/Amazon Prime and then go to Fargo and select Season 3.
When viewing on the TV right at the start of Episode 1 there are 2 chaps sitting in a room in East Germany. One seems to be STASI and the other is apparently being questioned.
On the TV I get english translations but off the download I get nothing but original German Language until the episode switches locations to Minnesota, USA.

Attachments

• Fargo Season 03 Episode 01 - The Law Of Vacant Places.astlog
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • Download Settings 2 (Amazon Prime).PNG
    Download Settings 2 (Amazon Prime).PNG
    164.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Download Settings 1.PNG
    Download Settings 1.PNG
    214.5 KB · Views: 3
Strange. Forced narrative is available on S01E04, but not on Season 3.

First of all please update to 1.5.2.5, second, it seems that you have chosen embedded subtitles, this particular series is not an Amazon-generated series, they may only have English subtitles. Or you could try changing the codec to HEVC and see what you are offered.

There are no forced subtitles in Season 3. I checked Hulu also. It's not available. This is not an AS issue.

Hulu.jpg

First of all please update to 1.5.2.5, second, it seems that you have chosen embedded subtitles, this particular series is not an Amazon-generated series, they may only have English subtitles. Or you could try changing the codec to HEVC and see what you are offered.
Will do - have not seen a notification for the new version or I would have already done this.

I certainly have not selected embedded subtitles - There were Forced subs on the Netflix one, which was new & is no longer an issue.
The only remaining issue is with the Amazon Prime Fargo Season 3, and the screenshot clearly shows Closed Captions are not ticked (attached again for clarity)

HEVC does not work when playing on my Oppo BDP-105 off an NTFS HDD over the network, which is how things are set up here.

Attachments

• Download Settings 2 (Amazon Prime).PNG
    Download Settings 2 (Amazon Prime).PNG
    164.3 KB · Views: 2
There are no forced subtitles in Season 3. I checked Hulu also. It's not available. This is not an AS issue.

View attachment 71021

So the only remaining question is simply this:

How come it works when playing off the Amazon app in the Sky Q box?
I am most confused now.

BTW - I am not looking for German Subtitles.
I am simply trying to find out why I get one thing playing off the Streaming service & something different via AS.

You should always do an internet search when you find an issue that is this strange. Its not an AS issue.

Why subtitles or audio isn't available in a specific language​

Subtitle and audio are available in many languages for most titles. If they aren’t available in a language, it may be due to:
  • Your location
  • Your profile Language settings.
  • The movie or TV show you're trying to watch
  • The device you're trying to watch on

Last edited:
Good call RF1. When I watch on my web browser there are no forced subs either. Maybe his Sky Q box provides their own subtitles.

Back