• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Salt = Cinavia

Thank you, I guess I'll have to look for a really good deal on buying one, seeing as I won't be able to make a backup copy. Any ideas as to when and if this Cinavia will ever be a fix?:bowdown:

Cinavia doesn't preclude you from making a backup. It does prevent you from playing it on a handful of players at current. The PS3 being the obvious big player. HTPC's are not affected at the moment (and never will be on mine) nor are the vast majority of stand alones. If you're using a PS3 to play your backups, well, then, your options are pretty limited. I'd recommend a second cheap player for now if playing backups is important.

Salt backup played on PS3 thwarted by cinavia today. Any current news on a potential fix?

Salt backup played on PS3 thwarted by cinavia today. Any current news on a potential fix?

This is just my opinion from what I've read, and would expect all those that read this to do their due diligence in tracking down this info, I'm passing on. No disresspect intended.
You know, I have really given up on having everything in blu-ray, just because it's blu-ray. I have a really good older blu-ray player that has up conversion, and I just back up my DVD's and have never had one that won't play on it, including Salt or any other cinavia protected disc on DVD. If I absolutely have to have a blu-ray version of a movie and it has cinavia, I have a new cinavia encoded blu-ray player. I just make sure I'm the only one that touches my movies and I don't loan out any movies, whether backed up or original.
Besides, if you have been paying attention to all the new tech ideas coming out about sony and other content worried producers, you would know that in the oh so near future everything will have cinavia on it. To stop the rush to try and beat cinavia, all movies and music, will only be capable of being purchased through Ultraviolet, over the internet, through the cloud, unrecordable, viewing or listening, whether purchased disc or streaming video. All future purchases will be lease's that may be for 1 night, 1 month, 1 year, etc. depending on the purchase you make, even a physical disc purchase will have to be registered online before it can be played. This is the future that is awaiting us, you can believe or not. Have you noticed that all TV's and the new xbox and the new cable boxes coming out later this year, have cameras on them? Do you think it is for video conferencing? Comcast has already started setting up video capture for pay per view, so if you have all your friends over for the big fight, the event will stop until you pay for the extra guest in your living room. The cameras are a two way street for when you purchase a viewing in the future. This camera will be active for the entire on demand viewing, trying to disable the camera or block the camera won't work. So when everything goes streaming, how will anyone beat cinavia? I mean hopes are there, but I've never been able to record streaming even without cinavia. So shouldn't we be worried about trying to beat the streaming system for backing up our movies? I know all the tech heads out there can see the writing on the wall. Maybe one of them can figure this out.

This is an interesting statement "all movies and music, will only be capable of being purchased through Ultraviolet"

I know in Canada one can upload a Blu-ray movie to Ultraviolet and access it anytime, but one still can't purchase a movie directly from Ultraviolet. I think it's to do with the marketing laws here in Canada. If I want to purchase a movie, Blu-ray or DVD, I am forced to physically buy the actual disc(s). The thinking behind this is that it protects retail stores. The US is different of course and one can purchase directly from Ultraviolet.

You said:

"Have you noticed that all TV's and the new xbox and the new cable boxes coming out later this year, have cameras on them" ?

Isn't this an invasion of privacy ?

Also, I am curious, what up-converting Blu-ray player do you have, in my experience, a DVD can not be made to look like a Blu-ray. You know the old saying "garbage in garbage out. What size of screen do you have, it must be quite small ?

Last edited:
This is an interesting statement "all movies and music, will only be capable of being purchased through Ultraviolet"

I know in Canada one can upload a Blu-ray movie to Ultraviolet and access it anytime, but one still can't purchase a movie directly from Ultraviolet. I think it's to do with the marketing laws here in Canada. If I want to purchase a movie, Blu-ray or DVD, I am forced to physically buy the actual disc(s). The thinking behind this is that it protects retail stores. The US is different of course and one can purchase directly from Ultraviolet.

You said:

"Have you noticed that all TV's and the new xbox and the new cable boxes coming out later this year, have cameras on them" ?

Isn't this an invasion of privacy ?

Also, I am curious, what up-converting Blu-ray player do you have, in my experience, a DVD can not be made to look like a Blu-ray. You know the old saying "garbage in garbage out. What size of screen do you have, it must be quite small ?

I said that one day this will be the only way you will be able to view your movie or the disc you buy, by entering the code for your disc and having it authenticated thru ultraviolet, the cloud, streaming access, etc. What ever they set it up for, so that they have total control over copyright, right now it is just cinavia alone, but this is changing fast. We already have to enter codes when you have an ultraviolet disc in the movie you buy, whats to stop them from making all disc registered in the same fashion. I don't own game machines or games, but I was told that the new games coming out have an encoded license, that only allows that disc to be played in the machine it was first put into and can't be taken to a friends house and played in another machine. If this is true, why won't they be able to do that to your movies? I'm just saying that just cinavia being beat will not cure the problem. Don't you think that the creators of cinavia are smart enough to keep updating and improving the product and continue to make it bigger and better, they surely aren't sitting and waiting for us to break their code with anyDVD.
I have a samsung and it has up conversion, but I didn't say it made it into a blu-ray, but it's better than broadcast TV.
If your really interested in seeing the so called real HD that your told you are getting on your TV you will be waiting a long time, because you are not getting true 1080P from any broadcasted signal, even cable struggles with the best they can do on some channels 1080I, and only so many channels on satelite are true, some times I wonder if we really get it fully from the blu-rays. I'm sure you have seen the new 4D TV that out shines our TV's by almost twice the clarity. Well guess what, in Japan that's their broadcast TV, Japan had 1000 lines back in the 70's, on over the air broadcast, no dishes, or cable, or satelite. We don't even have anything that is capable of playing on that TV right now, except a few select movies that have been produced to get you to buy the TV. Japan has been the leader in HD for a lot longer than we have. As far as privacy goes, if you think you have privacy, I'm glad your an optimist. These cameras, if the government wanted to protect your privacy could just allow them to read heat signatures, but then the government would also have control to bypass heat to actual video. I'm sure you have heard of Snowdon who leaked that the whole world is being spyed on. Cameras, spying, control, I believe all of these were covered by Orwell. You may think that I'm just a conspiracy nut, but I am only going by what I see and read about, by the reports of the copyright protecting nuts, that created cinavia and are putting the cameras on the TV's and the changes coming to the disc manufactoring, hell we didn't even have ultraviolet, cinavia, and the cloud until just resently, where these moguls have been playing since their creations. While we have just seen them as a new fad or APP. They have been trying to take our rights as owners of the media we purchase, since the success of Napster. So they have more experience at stopping us then we do stopping them. Again this is just my opinion from what I find in my searches, search for yourself, and form your opinion as to where this is going.

It will be interesting to see how the industry gets around the "fair use" law implementing all these new restrictions. Perhaps one day it will all end in court with a final decision made.

I've seen the new 4K resolution in action and the Sony TV that I viewed was too small to take advantage it _ I believe it was 55 inch.
I brought in a Blu-ray of Fantastic Four to see what this 4K Sony could do for it _ it was disappointing, it didn't look any better the a 1080P display, as expected it's up-scaling capabilities did not do much.

I'll wait until there is actually some 4K content out there, but all the video store had was a demonstrator clip _ and yes of course it looked good (they're trying to sell a TV), but again it didn't really look any better to me then a good 1080P picture. And of course they didn't have any 4K projectors set up...

Well, if the government wants to spy on me then let them, there certainly isn't anything here to find, I live in a little town called Lake Cowichan on the BC coast in Canada.

No I haven't heard of Snowdown, I live in ignorant bliss watching my movies, running cycling, working etc.... :p It's ironic too that we're talking about privacy, there is a major satellite station just outside of town. It's been closed to the public for years and a bigger chain-link fence with barbed wire went up after 9/11.

I don't watch TV either, there is absolutely nothing on that a I am remotely interested in, I grew up with Little House on The Prairie/ The Waltons and stuff like that is long gone _ I very rarely read the newspaper either.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see how the industry gets around the "fair use" law implementing all these new restrictions. Perhaps one day it will all end in court with a final decision made.

I've seen the new 4K resolution in action and the Sony TV that I viewed was too small to take advantage it _ I believe it was 55 inch.
I brought in a Blu-ray of Fantastic Four to see what this 4K Sony could do for it _ it was disappointing, it didn't look any better the a 1080P display, as expected it's up-scaling capabilities did not do much.

I'll wait until there is actually some 4K content out there, but all the video store had was a demonstrator clip _ and yes of course it looked good (they're trying to sell a TV), but again it didn't really look any better to me then a good 1080P picture. And of course they didn't have any 4K projectors set up...

Well, if the government wants to spy on me then let them, there certainly isn't anything here to find, I live in a little town called Lake Cowichan on the BC coast in Canada.

No I haven't heard of Snowdown, I live in ignorant bliss watching my movies, running cycling, working etc.... :p It's ironic too that we're talking about privacy, there is a major satellite station just outside of town. It's been closed to the public for years and a bigger chain-link fence with barbed wire went up after 9/11.

I don't watch TV either, there is absolutely nothing on that a I am remotely interested in, I grew up with Little House on The Prairie/ The Waltons and stuff like that is long gone _ I very rarely read the newspaper either.

Your living the dream that most people want to live, congrats.
Here's a small clip of news for you, as short as possible. For about the last
30+ plus years, there has been rumors about the government having the largest computer ever being built, but I believe it was still using spool tapes and cards at the time, but it was hidden under ground so it would be protected, but always a rumor. Edward Snowdon an NSA contractor, got into restricted files, while he worked at the above ground facility, and copied enough information that he could prove that this computor(now a modern day version with many many yottabytes of memory, a yottabyte is 1 million exabytes ) was spying on the whole world, including telephone, cell, internet, satelite, etc. etc. and had complete information on anyone or anything. Any info transfered to any type of storage device, from any source possible, has been turned into digital ad stored, including from your birth certificate all the way to your death certificate, and of course everything inbetween. Snowdon ran to and is currently in Russia. Today it is rumored that all the power countries have their own equivalent, all of course say it's only for security. So there is the news flash about privacy and how important it is for our so called rights. Living off the grid only works for someone that is so remote that all knowledge is still used with paper and pencil, and stored in cardboard boxes, with nothing linked to any other form of comunication. So I guess the big question is how much do you think any power cares about the privacy act, when anyone willing to pay said power enough money plus the major spiff of a backdoor program, would be denied the rights to take away your rights. I'm sure you know about facebook, a little known social media group for college students (that's how it started anyway). Face book sells more access to it's database everyday (one of it's first investors was Paypal and Ebay), and Zuckerberg and his attorney's went to congress to get the complete rights to do more. Hint, a spiff was given.
If you have access to the internet on a regular basis, I would take the time to search for the info, that effects us and our future, it's not all wine and roses, and a cruise on the good ship lollypop. Ignorance is not always bliss. Most people say they don't care because they don't do anything wrong, but in your earlier statement garbage in, garbage out! It only takes a slip of an entry assistants finger to change info about each of us, use your imagination as to how a simple yes click vs. a no click, could change your life forever.. I don't know everything and never claimed to know a lot. I simply, only know, what I'm entitled to have access to, from whistle blowers like Snowdon, and what the government hasn't removed from access on the internet yet. Which of course, one day with tech doubling and tripling every year or so, will be impossible to find in the future, or will be changed to the point that it will be read as, "for your security and our countries security". It used to be said that money was power, but the truth is, that information has always been power. Great conversing with you.

Back